Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Zagga Mohammed slams National Assembly members - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Zagga Mohammed slams National Assembly members (520 Views)

Lai Mohammed Slams N500m Defamation Suit On Metuh / Support Fayemi's Nomination, Fayose Tells Ekiti National Assembly Members / Kebbi Assembly Members Impeach Speaker And Deputy Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Zagga Mohammed slams National Assembly members by jamp: 7:47am On Dec 22, 2013
Good morning huz, I saw this on a friends facebook wall and decided to share with u. The message is very clear. God help Nigeria.

I will never succumb to the cheap emotional blackmail of those who abuse me because they cannot reason objectively or because I refused to jump on the bandwagon of their sentiments. Who doesn't know that public hearings are extortion exercises? Who doesn't know budget defence are extortion exercises? Who doesn't know that the so-called oversight assignments are extortion exercises? What is the point preaching what you cannot practice? The tyranny of the legislature is no less obnoxious than the tyranny of the executive. Is it not tyranny that lawmakers should be paying themselves outrageously against the realities of the national economy and ravaging poverty of the masses? Is it not tyranny for lawmakers to selfishness pay themselves indefensible salaries in a country where some states are desperately struggling to pay the N18,000 minimum wage?

I have no obligation to please you. And you have no obligation to agree with me either. It is preposterous to claim that their salaries are legally backed. They abused their powers of legislation to fix outrageous salaries and allowances for themselves against what the revenue commission constitutionally recommended. If their salaries and allowances are morally and legally defensible, why are they denying Nigerians access to records of their pay? Human Rights lawyer, Femi Falana, was repeatedly frustrated by the National Assembly service commission from getting access to their pay. Where in the world do lawmakers make laws to protect their advantages at the expense of the people? Contrary to your strange logic, there is a direct relationship between the heavy cost of maintaining political office holders, including the lawmakers, and the health of the national economy. It is also funny to accuse me me being compromised because I refused to defend hypocrisy. If one has to be paid to hold and express opinion, then how much were you paid to defend the hypocrisy of our lawmakers? Just because our views are not the same on the issue it does not give you right to abuse me. Don't cross the boundary of courtesy, please! I have the capacity to pay you back in your own coin of incivility. So please, address the issue rather than abusing me!

I hate pretence or the attempt to play on the intelligence of Nigerians by legislators whose greed is blinding. I disagree with those who suggest that we should ignore the messenger and focus on the message. Lawmakers who lack credibility should not come to the house of equity with dirty hands. If you say we should forget the messenger, are you suggesting that we should invite Farouk Lawan to deliver a lecture on corruption to our students? This democracy is too costly to the economy and the fat pays of our lawmakers is a major part of the problem. Their claim to superior morality and patriotism is irritating. If they truly love Nigerians, these lawmakers should be on a sitting allowance of N300 thousand per month! Hardly any of them would accept to return to the National Assembly if you place them on this amount per month. Their main attraction to the National Assembly job is because of the heavy pay it attracts. If their noise making is about patriotism, they won't be paying themselves these outrageous salaries and allowances when millions of ordinary Nigerians are economically gasping for breath. The relationship between the legislature and the executive should not be perceived in terms of good versus evil, with the former claiming superior morality and patriotism. Both arms of the government have failed us woefully. And that is the bottom line. Therefore, these questions are intended to fool us, to make us believe that the lawmakers love the masses better than members of the executive branch. In the words of Mahatma Gandhi, the famous Indian sage, "In darkness, all colours seem alike."

(1) (Reply)

Ova 88million Numbers Sorted According To Local Govt / 18 New States To Be Created / Adamawa Governor Impeached, Speaker Is Acting Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.