Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,012 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Amalgamation Was Wrong, It Should Not Be Celebrated— Olisa Agbakoba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amalgamation Was Wrong, It Should Not Be Celebrated— Olisa Agbakoba (484 Views)

Nigeria Is Sliding Into Economic Recession Under Buhari’s Watch – Olisa Agbakoba / The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. / House Where Lugard Signed Amalgamation Of Northern Southern Nigeria. -PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amalgamation Was Wrong, It Should Not Be Celebrated— Olisa Agbakoba by ayo84(m): 9:03am On Dec 23, 2013
*Amalgamation was wrong, it should not be celebrated— Olisa Agbakoba

On 100 years of amalgamation

Amalgamation is a big error. It was in the interest of the British. It has happened and so we should not cry over spilt milk.

We should not celebrate it. We should not honour it. It should be a sober reflection. We should say look, ‘here is what the British did to us, what can we do to overcome it and move forward because we want to be part of the comity of nations that expresses Nigeria’s greatness to be at the peak.

So, I do not lament it, I am sad about it, not just Nigeria but also how they sat at their Berlin Conference and tore the whole of Africa apart. Part of what you see in DRC, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Zimbabwe, etc is all down to that conference. But I am not going to lament it because those men are dead. The issue is how do we put the disastrous consequences behind us and move forward.
And all the elements of how to move forward are discussed in Kingsley Moghalu’s new book: Emerging Africa. I agree totally with it.
Africa cannot grow; Nigeria cannot grow without that context.

It cannot happen if Boko Haram is on and we have ethnicisation of everything. Once we do so Nigeria will explode.

VANGUARD
Re: Amalgamation Was Wrong, It Should Not Be Celebrated— Olisa Agbakoba by MakeMusicMoney: 9:11am On Dec 23, 2013
I have always said that this country is a fraudulent amalgamation and the best thing to do is to come to a round table in a Sovereign National Conference SNC, to discuss whether we can live together under terms or not. I have a very strong feeling that it is the oil that is still keeping Nigeria together because many are harvesting and reaping where they did not sow and so they are agitating for one fraudulent Nigeria which is injustice to humanity and nations that make up this fraudulent unity!
Re: Amalgamation Was Wrong, It Should Not Be Celebrated— Olisa Agbakoba by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:19am On Dec 23, 2013
Since wen jare?
Re: Amalgamation Was Wrong, It Should Not Be Celebrated— Olisa Agbakoba by Treems(m): 9:25am On Dec 23, 2013
ayo84: *Amalgamation was wrong, it should not be celebrated— Olisa Agbakoba

On 100 years of amalgamation

Amalgamation is a big error. It was in the interest of the British. It has happened and so we should not cry over spilt milk.

We should not celebrate it. We should not honour it. It should be a sober reflection. We should say look, ‘here is what the British did to us, what can we do to overcome it and move forward because we want to be part of the comity of nations that expresses Nigeria’s greatness to be at the peak.

So, I do not lament it, I am sad about it, not just Nigeria but also how they sat at their Berlin Conference and tore the whole of Africa apart. Part of what you see in DRC, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Zimbabwe, etc is all down to that conference. But I am not going to lament it because those men are dead. The issue is how do we put the disastrous consequences behind us and move forward.
And all the elements of how to move forward are discussed in Kingsley Moghalu’s new book: Emerging Africa. I agree totally with it.
Africa cannot grow; Nigeria cannot grow without that context.

It cannot happen if Boko Haram is on and we have ethnicisation of everything. Once we do so Nigeria will explode.

VANGUARD
This is a fact, we need not celebrate the very thing that divides and separates us.
Re: Amalgamation Was Wrong, It Should Not Be Celebrated— Olisa Agbakoba by ayo84(m): 9:31am On Dec 23, 2013
The truth is that we are sitting on a keg of gun powder waiting to explode.
Nigeria is like PDP. It's house is burning and they are saying it doesn't matter, let them wait until it is razed to the ground.
Re: Amalgamation Was Wrong, It Should Not Be Celebrated— Olisa Agbakoba by EzePromoe: 9:52am On Dec 23, 2013
NIGERIA LIVES ON!

(1) (Reply)

Can We Give GEJ A Break For a Minute / Are There No Nigerians In South Sudan? / National Hunger Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.