Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,447 members, 7,826,717 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. (6139 Views)

6 Types Of People You Meet In Nigerian Banks / 7 Annoying People You Meet At The ATM / Cheapest Way To Ship Goods To Nigeria From Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by mayorall(m): 10:39am On Dec 23, 2013
Friends how do you sell your goods to people you meet online. Do you know of any firm who can do pay on delivery on your behalf?.

This has been hindering business as a result of lack of escrow platform in the country. People we meet online will not wanna send money to you in Nigeria and you will also will not wanna send your goods without payment.

Imagine when someone I met on nairaland want to get tablet pc from me, he's in the North, South- south or southeast, I ask.

1.Do you have someone in the south-west I can deliver to and the person will send to you?. If yes I take it to the person and I get my money.

2. If the person doesn't have, I will think of someone I know in the state, send it to the person, and the person will send me my money.

But I guess this method is old cargo, do you know of a better option. Share and let's learn. Thanks. [b][/b]
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by dav8id(m): 11:23am On Dec 23, 2013
mayorall: Friends how do you sell your goods to people you meet online. Do you know of any firm who can do pay on delivery on your behalf?.

This has been hindering business as a result of lack of escrow platform in the country. People we meet online will not wanna send money to you in Nigeria and you will also will not wanna send your goods without payment.

Imagine when someone I met on nairaland want to get tablet pc from me, he's in the North, South- south or southeast, I ask.

1.Do you have someone in the south-west I can deliver to and the person will send to you?. If yes I take it to the person and I get my money.

2. If the person doesn't have, I will think of someone I know in the state, send it to the person, and the person will send me my money.

But I guess this method is old cargo, do you know of a better option. Share and let's learn. Thanks.
na d major problem now bro, it has to be a trust issue. Anyone that trust u, u do biznes with and anyone that dnt. Let him or her go.cuz buyers are even scammers now than b4 we use to knw that sellers are scammers.
Though pay on deliver is the best but that only work if u hav a representative in that cities or town. But another funny aspect of pay on deliver is , when u send the package the buyer may not showup again.ie run away. So the best is escrow if we can hav such service it would'v help matter alot.
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by mayorall(m): 11:52am On Dec 23, 2013
dav8id: na d major problem now bro, it has to be a trust issue. Anyone that trust u, u do biznes with and anyone that dnt. Let him or her go.cuz buyers are even scammers now than b4 we use to knw that sellers are scammers.
Though pay on deliver is the best but that only work if u hav a representative in that cities or town. But another funny aspect of pay on deliver is , when u send the package the buyer may not showup again.ie run away. So the best is escrow if we can hav such service it would'v help matter alot.

I am thinking of mailing all this banks if they can think of it in the nearest Future. But Seun can also create a section for this. I guess people trust nairaland.
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by dapsoneh: 3:09pm On Dec 23, 2013
K
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by Jensenelizz(m): 3:09pm On Dec 23, 2013
Dude I'm nt sure if u will find help oo....the only tin I advise is dat if the person is nt in ur region dnt do bizness with him or her cuz the internet can nt be trusted......mostly in december.....
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by NaLaugh: 3:11pm On Dec 23, 2013
mayorall:

I am thinking of mailing all this banks if they can think of it in the nearest Future. But Seun can also create a section for this. I guess people trust nairaland.

I have thought of this before. A lot of people transact on Nairaland, but typically at a risky level. If Seun can set up a service within Nairaland to facilitate an escrow-type platform, it would be a major boost to the "Nairaland economy wink " as safety of funds is a major hindrance in transacting.
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by shutto: 3:13pm On Dec 23, 2013
[MOD] I attempted to hijack this thread with my advert and got banned for 2 months. cry cry
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by 9jahubcom(m): 3:13pm On Dec 23, 2013
email tinz
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by gluv01(f): 3:14pm On Dec 23, 2013
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by greall1: 3:14pm On Dec 23, 2013
Online business its risk But it depend on mentod of payment. One of the secure payment in world now is paypal. Only view people using paypal Nigeria.
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by Jensenelizz(m): 3:15pm On Dec 23, 2013
gluv01: .
see peeps dey book space like booker T.... grin
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by emmawiz: 3:21pm On Dec 23, 2013
Nna men odikwa risky ooo,,, yahoo boys no laptop
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by greall1: 3:23pm On Dec 23, 2013
Booked ur own now

Jensen_elizz: see peeps dey book space like booker T.... grin
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by shinaf: 3:23pm On Dec 23, 2013
mayorall: Friends how do you sell your goods to people you meet online. Do you know of any firm who can do pay on delivery on your behalf?.

But I guess this method is old cargo, do you know of a better option. Share and let's learn. Thanks.

bank should b of help....or OLX should think of something on that.....think of marplaat
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by seangy4konji: 3:25pm On Dec 23, 2013
u say?
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by candiva2013(m): 3:25pm On Dec 23, 2013
In my opinion, I think the issue here is trust because the people you are dealing with don't know you hence their fear. I suggest that if you are serious about doing biz online, you should register a business name at CEC after which, you open a bank account with the business name where buyers can make payments. This way there will be some level of trust. Owning a website is important too. YOU ALSO NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU DELIVER SO THAT YOU WOULD BE RECOMMENDED.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by olojuede01: 3:49pm On Dec 23, 2013
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by 4tunebest(f): 3:57pm On Dec 23, 2013
You can visit any major park around you and send the goods through drivers of any transport line for a token. This way, you can send your goods to anywhere in Nigeria and the delivery is made to the recipient at his destination after you've received payment.
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by kingthreat(m): 3:58pm On Dec 23, 2013
I usually sell some tech goods online. For within my state, payment is on delivery while out-of-state, I specify bank payment.

People are usually wary of the latter, so I registered my company cos it's more trusted than paying into a personal account.

When customers start indicating their scam fears, I simply tell them that if I scam them, they can report me to their bank and on social media i.e Nairaland, Naijapals, facebook, etc. I will even reveal my facebook profile to them so they can know they can feel safe to an extent cos if I were a scammer, I would not reveal my identity.

As much as it's risky to trust, we just need to do so. I advise customers that when you find a trusted seller, hold him/her tight. Don't keep trying others, you can't be lucky all the time.
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by EloquentMedia: 4:02pm On Dec 23, 2013
[mod] I hijacked this thread and got banned for 2 months cry cry
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by stevolinkon40: 4:27pm On Dec 23, 2013
I suggested esrow on nairaland some months ago. Hw i wish its possible
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by rodeo0070(m): 5:02pm On Dec 23, 2013
I've done several business with people online with the success rate of 100%. I've sold to people as far as Kaduna, Zaria, Warri, Abuja,etc.
Its easy. Let me give u a case.
CASE 1: Someone resides Abuja and wanted some of my items. I asked for his place of work, he said abcd bank. Ok, I told him to call the secretary of any branch at Ibadan. I asked if he can transfer the total amount of the item to the secretary. He said yes. I explained to him that the branch secretary can give me half of the amount, then I'll get the full payment after it gets to Abuja and he is satisfied with the items.
In short, It worked.

To be continued...

1 Like

Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by JideTheBlogger(m): 5:12pm On Dec 23, 2013
mayorall:

...... I guess people trust nairaland.

Really? .....or some members?
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by mayorall(m): 5:15pm On Dec 23, 2013
rodeo0070: I've done several business with people online with the success rate of 100%. I've sold to people as far as Kaduna, Zaria, Warri, Abuja,etc.
Its easy. Let me give u a case.
CASE 1: Someone resides Abuja and wanted some of my items. I asked for his place of work, he said abcd bank. Ok, I told him to call the secretary of any branch at Ibadan. I asked if he can transfer the total amount of the item to the secretary. He said yes. I explained to him that the branch secretary can give me half of the amount, then I'll get the full payment after it gets to Abuja and he is satisfied with the items.
In short, It worked.

To be continued...

Hmm. This makes sense. Please continue.
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by mayorall(m): 5:17pm On Dec 23, 2013
JideTheBlogger:

Really? .....or some members?

Yeah
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by mayorall(m): 5:36pm On Dec 23, 2013
4tunebest: You can visit any major park around you and send the goods through drivers of any transport line for a token. This way, you can send your goods to anywhere in Nigeria and the delivery is made to the recipient at his destination after you've received payment.

That's what we are seeking solutions to. They won't agree to it.
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by VMLTDSMS(m): 7:14pm On Dec 23, 2013

FRAUD:Is the major challenge of ONLINE TRADING,a-lot of people would not want to SEND payment without seeing the GOODS or TRUSTING you of sending it after PAYMENT...I have faced this CHALLENGES until I had to set up a Limited Liability Company which is legally registered in the Corporate Affairs and FIRS with Tax Identification Number(TIN),this has boost the business life wire and its genuine with also the help of a corporate websites.TRY to set up a Limited Liability Company and WEBSITE subsequently so you can enjoy online trading,your clients can comfortably pay into your company account because they know you are REAL.Get our WRIST-WATCH-PHONE with 2yrs WARRANTY or OTHER PRODUCTS Today.
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by LordAdam: 8:48pm On Dec 23, 2013
Fraud is everywhere, although Nigeria takes it to new levels. As such every right thinking individual would want a tangible proof before parting away with his/her money for a product/service sold online.

Talking about registering a company is expensive for the small seller who just happened to come across a buyer from another bloc of the country. Even the registered companies like Jumia still offer pay-on-delivery services. The apotheosis is that pay-on-delivery would always be a service offered, but most importantly is for trust to be shared between buyer and seller.

Presently, it's a face-palm situation in the Nigerian eCommerce industry. Big names still face enormous strategic difficulties, however, this thread is about sellers connecting with buyers.

Someone mentioned Paypal in the thread, and that rung a bell. We have national payment solutions like Onlinenaira, Voguepay, but that's just one step in the right direction. The next is to have a big name like OLX or Quickteller or eTranzact buy or establish a symbiotic relationship with these solutions. Such that buyers can easily transfer money to their Payment processor's account (Onlinenaira, Voguepay personal account) using their debit (ATM) cards (irrespective of bank), or through the good ol' fashioned banking hall; and then use the money to pay a seller who would send the product paid for. The seller would not be able to withdraw that money for a fixed period (say 3 days), during which the buyer can file a dispute if the product falls short of expectations. The payment processor mediates the dispute and helps reach a satisfying outcome (it could be refunds, replacement, or stating that the buyer is over-reacting).

For this immense service, about 1.5-3.0% of payments made would be taken by the payment processor. This would allow small sellers to thrive without shelling out between 70,000-150,000 to register a company and all the hassles encountered while trying to get a company. As well as allowing new starters have a say in the market. This would imbibe the values of Capitalism -- healthy competition, innovation, an amalgam of good products and good service -- into the industry.

Presently, with the amount of money entering the country, the amount internally generated, the readiness of international investors to pump their money here, the availability of technological solutions; I think the only reason something like this has not been realized is either poor business focus or someone has not being able to relate this need in a "easy as pie" format to a deep pocket investor. Else, it beats me that there is the technology, the market, the money; and there's no solution yet.

I'm willing to hear the other side of the story, Nigerians are enterprising so there may be something more to this than meets the eye.

Lord
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by mayorall(m): 9:02pm On Dec 23, 2013
LordAdam: Fraud is everywhere, although Nigeria takes it to new levels. As such every right thinking individual would want a tangible proof before parting away with his/her money for a product/service sold online.

Talking about registering a company is expensive for the small seller who just happened to come across a buyer from another bloc of the country. Even the registered companies like Jumia still offer pay-on-delivery services. The apotheosis is that pay-on-delivery would always be a service offered, but most importantly is for trust to be shared between buyer and seller.

Presently, it's a face-palm situation in the Nigerian eCommerce industry. Big names still face enormous strategic difficulties, however, this thread is about sellers connecting with buyers.

Someone mentioned Paypal in the thread, and that rung a bell. We have national payment solutions like Onlinenaira, Voguepay, but that's just one step in the right direction. The next is to have a big name like OLX or Quickteller or eTranzact buy or establish a symbiotic relationship with these solutions. Such that buyers can easily transfer money to their Payment processor's account (Onlinenaira, Voguepay personal account) using their debit (ATM) cards (irrespective of bank), or through the good ol' fashioned banking hall; and then use the money to pay a seller who would send the product paid for. The seller would not be able to withdraw that money for a fixed period (say 3 days), during which the buyer can file a dispute if the product falls short of expectations. The payment processor mediates the dispute and helps reach a satisfying outcome (it could be refunds, replacement, or stating that the buyer is over-reacting).

For this immense service, about 1.5-3.0% of payments made would be taken by the payment processor. This would allow small sellers to thrive without shelling out between 70,000-150,000 to register a company and all the hassles encountered while trying to getting a company, as well as allowing new starters have a say in the market. This would imbibe the values of Capitalism -- healthy competition, innovation, an amalgam of good products and good service.

Presently, with the amount of money entering the country, the amount internally generated, the readiness of international investors to pump their money here, the availability of technological solutions; I think the only reason something like this has not been realized is either poor business focus or someone has not being able to relate this need in a "easy as pie" format to a deep pocket investor. Else, it beats me that there is the technology, the market, the money; and there's no solution yet.

I'm willing to hear the other side of the story, Nigerians are enterprising so there may be something more to this than meets the eye.

Lord
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by Ymodulus: 9:10pm On Dec 23, 2013
following
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by klens(m): 10:08pm On Dec 23, 2013
I have done business to many people I have not seen before, some even pay money into my account to get some certain goods to them which they can't find in Nigeria. just build your trust with people they will rate you good feedback, sometimes it's matter of luck, some people are born been trusted by any human, people feel safe with them, that's my type of life. Getting a site is good and registering your business. and opening a business account.
Re: How Do You Sell Goods To People You Meet Online. by BOUNTYDOG(m): 10:29pm On Dec 23, 2013
The pessimist sees the doughnut,but the optimist sees the hole! God help us

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mobile Block Molding Machine. 3000 To 4000 Blocks A Day / How Legit Is Branch Loan App, I Just Invested My ₦100k / I Have Got 200,000 Idle Fund. What Business Can I Start Up? Please Help Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.