Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,127 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 (2123 Views)

The Coup Speech That Overthrew Buhari On August 27, 1985… / Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) / Breaking News: Fire Outbreak At Muritala Mohammed Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 23, 2013
Dimka's speech indicates that he simply wanted to rid the govt of corrupt people of which Muritala and OBJ were ring leaders. However he wasn't successful as OBJ detached his closest friends (IBB and Theophilus Danjuma - as you must have seen in the famous chess game pics) to dislodge Dimka from the Radio Station. Hence there probably was no way IBB and Theophilus (northerners) would be part of that plot to kill muritala and still keep mute after so long. But let me say I am glad OBJ is going through this tough battle from his benefactors and Family members, becasue this OBJ is one hell of a wicked man...I would not forget how in 1976 he retired so many innocent people unjustly...so many bright high court judges .. he destroyed so many lives by not giving them any hearing, no opportunity to defend themselves...and OBJ's end will be worse than those he destroyed. AMEN! he hasn't seen anything. I would have loved to support GEJ on this battle against OBJ, but unfortunately, what we really need now is a NEW NIGERIA, not a battle of supremacy and corrupt men. Here are Dimka's speeches, one delivered, the other was about to be delivered when IBB broke in:

February 13, 1976 was a black Friday that Nigerians were jolted by the news of the death of General Murtala Ramat Mohammed then Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces. He was killed along with his Aide de Camp, Lt Akintunde Akinshehinwa on his way to work . Col Ibrahim Taiwo, the the military Governor of Kwara State. and a number of other officers were also killed in the botched coup.

Street Journal presents the speech read on that Friday morning by Colonel Buka Suka Dimka who led the failed coup.
Excerpts:

Good morning fellow Nigerians, This is Lt. Col. B. Dimka of the Nigerian Army calling.
I bring you good tidings. Murtala Muhammed’s deficiency has been detected. His government is now overthrown by the young revolutionaries. All the 19 military governors have no powers over the states they now govern. The states affairs will be run by military brigade commanders until further notice.

All commissioners are sacked, except for the armed forces and police commissioners who will be redeployed.
All senior military officers should remain calm in their respective spots. No divisional commanders will issue orders or instructions until further notice.
Any attempt to foil these plans from any quarters will be met with death.</p>
You are warned, it is all over the 19 states.
Any acts of looting or raids will be death.
Everyone should be calm.
Please stay by your radio for further announcements.
All borders, air and sea ports are closed until further notice.
Curfew is imposed from 6am to 6pm.
Thank you. We are all together

A few hours after the broadcast, the coup plotters were dislodged from the radio station where Dimka was to make a second broadcast. On the orders of General Theophilus Danjuma, Colonel Ibrahim Babangida led a detachment of soldiers that stormed the radio house to dislodge Dimka and his men after a short but fierce gun battle.

Below is a text of the second speech which Colonel Dimka never got to read on the air waves:
Fellow Nigerians,
This is Lt. Col. BS Dimka. I now explain why we the Young Revolutionaries of the Armed Forces have found it necessary to overthrow the six month old government of Murtala. On the 29th July 1975 the Government of General Gowon was overthrown. Some of the reasons given for the change were:

a. Corruption
b. Indecision
c. Arrest and detention without trial
d. Weakness on the part of the Head of State
e. Maladministration in general and a host of other malpractice.

Every honest Nigerian will agree with me that since the change over of government there has not been any physical development in the whole country generally.
All we have is arbitrary dismissal of innocent Nigerians who have contributed in no less amount to the building of this great nation. A Professor was arrested, detained, dismissed and later taken to court on an article which every honest Nigerian will agree that all the points contained in that article were 100% truth. The sad point about it all is that those who initiated the retirement or dismissal exercise are the worst offenders. You will be informed about the ill-gotten wealth in my next announcement.
The acting General Manager of the Nigerian Airways was invited to the Dodan Barracks and detained without trial. The people of this country have been living in a state of fear. The Armed Forces promotion exercise is still fresh in your minds. Whatever reasons they have for the promotion one can only say that they are ambitious. They in fact took over power to enrich themselves.
We are convinced that some of the programmes announced for a return to civilian rule are made to favor a particular group. To mention only one. Maitama Sule is a politician. But has been appointed Chief of Commissioners for Complaints. This is to prepare him for the next political head at all cost. How many of you know that Maitama Sule is on a salary of N17,000 per annum?

In view of what I have just said and a lot more which time will not permit me to mention, we the Young Revolutionaries have once again taken over the Government to save Murtala from total disgrace and prevent him from committing further blunders and totally collapsing the country before he runs away in the name of retirement to enjoy the huge fortune he got through bribe which he has now stored outside this country. I believe that charity should begin at home.

Please stay by your radio for further announcements.

We are all together.

source : http://thestreetjournal.org/2013/02/why-we-overthrew-murtala-mohammed-dimkas-1976-coup-speech/

1 Like

Re: Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 by Femolacaster(m): 2:21pm On Dec 23, 2013
Interesting!
This is the same story some mumus are trying to re-write. SMH!
Re: Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 by Nobody: 2:24pm On Dec 23, 2013
This is the story that some revisionist experts are labouring hard to rewrite.
Re: Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 by freezy(m): 2:26pm On Dec 23, 2013
The "6 am - 6 pm curfew" gaffe is unforgivable though. smiley
Re: Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 by papparatzzi2013: 2:26pm On Dec 23, 2013
ilugunboy: This is the story that some revisionist experts are labouring add to rewrite.

Why are you surprised?

Did Achebe and Nwabueze not tried to re-write how they plunged this country into the abyss of darkness?

They have also failed ike their senile uncles.
Re: Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 23, 2013
ilugunboy: This is the story that some revisionist experts are labouring add to rewrite.
They want to re-write history but they are failing while at it.
Re: Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 by T9ksy(m): 2:48pm On Dec 23, 2013
sincerenigerian: They want to re-write history but they are failing while at it.

This is why i tagged them ""juvenile revisionists".............
Re: Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 by DerideGull(m): 3:48pm On Dec 23, 2013
sincerenigerian: They want to re-write history but they are failing while at it.

payless

Even a goofy junk such as you owes it as a duty to re-write conjectural craps held as historical facts.
Re: Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 by Nobody: 5:55pm On Dec 23, 2013
DerideGull:

payless

Even a goofy junk such as you owes it as a duty to re-write conjectural craps held as historical facts.

Old fool,

You are a waste to the society that pays your pension. Go and die! There others who deserve their pension. You are not one of them. Give it up! Go and die!

1 Like

Re: Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 by DerideGull(m): 6:20pm On Dec 23, 2013
sincerenigerian:

Od fool,

You are a waste to the society that pays your pension. Go and die! There others who deserve their pension. You are not one of them. Give it up! Go and die!

payfool,

It is safe to say my age is made known to you by your parents.
Re: Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 by Nobody: 8:17pm On Dec 23, 2013
DerideGull:

payfool,

It is safe to say my age is made known to you by your parents.

I know you very well na.....

No be your picture be this?

Re: Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 by Sunnybobo3(m): 8:21pm On Dec 23, 2013
T9ksy:

This is why i tagged them ""juvenile revisionists".............

FFK, is Shama Maliga still shagging your wife?
Re: Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 by MMempire(m): 5:11pm On Oct 10, 2022
Please, people with some rare knowledge of things that transpired in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's in Nigeria should open up so that this rare knowledge of things that happened then will not die with them. Knowledge needs to be shared to down generations.
Re: Why We Overthrew Muritala Mohammed - DIMKA 1976 by Racoon(m): 5:31pm On Oct 10, 2022
So sad how the tragic coups of July 28-31st 1966 and Feb 14 1976 never became tagged northern coup but uprisings.

(1) (Reply)

Bauchi State Govt Takes N15billion Loan To Build Homes For Yuguda, Mu’azu / BBC Having A Go At Nigeria Again / Amazing!! Popular Nollywood Actor, Fadeyi Oloro Campaign For Buhari (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.