Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,472 members, 7,830,370 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Something To Think About - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Something To Think About (1886 Views)

Can't Believe I Used To Think Buzugee/obadiah777 Was Crazy / Things You Need To Think About Before Emptying Your Wallet To Your Pastors / Invitation To Think,oh Christians.shun Bigotry And Abuse, Lets Face The Facts. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 4:16pm On Aug 02, 2008
There are two days in every week
about which we should not worry,
Two days which should be kept free
from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is "Yesterday"
with its mistakes and cares,
its faults and blunders,
its aches and pains.
Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control.
All the money in the world cannot bring back Yesterday.
We cannot undo a single act we performed;
we cannot erase a single word we said.
Yesterday is gone.

The other day we should not worry about is "Tomorrow"
with its possible adversities, its burdens,
its large promise and poor performance.
Tomorrow is also beyond our immediate control.
Tomorrow's sun will rise, either in splendor or
behind a mask of clouds, but it will rise.
Until it does, we have no stake in Tomorrow,
for it is yet unborn.

This leaves only one day, "Today",
and anyone can fight the battles of just one day.
It is only when you and I add the burden of those awful eternities, Yesterday, and Tomorrow, that we break down.
It is not the experience of Today that drives people mad,
it is the remorse or bitterness for something
which happened Yesterday and the dread of what
Tomorrow may bring.
Let us, therefore, live but one day at a time

~Author Unknown~
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 12:06pm On Aug 03, 2008
Footprints In The Sand

One night a man had a dream.

He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the Lord.

Scenes from his life flashed across the sky
and he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
one belonging to him and the other to the Lord.

When the last scene of his life had flashed before him,
he recalled that at the lowest and saddest times of his life
there was only one set of footprints.

Dismayed, he asked, "Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you'd walk with me all the way.
I don't understand why, when I needed you most,
you would leave me."

The Lord replied, "My precious child.
I love you and I would never leave you.

During your times of trial and suffering
when you saw only one set of footprints, 

That was when I carried you."

Re: Something To Think About by ifyalways(f): 10:53pm On Aug 03, 2008
i like the first poem grin
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 1:38am On Aug 04, 2008
The Self-Directed Man
By Charles F. Stanley

Surely you’ve heard the old stereotype about men never wanting to stop and ask for directions. That’s probably more true than we’d like to admit, but it isn’t just males who are guilty. The world is full of both men and women, all driving full steam ahead, never wanting to stop or even slow down to ask for guidance.

If you were to look at this through spiritual lenses, you’d see a world of lost, hopeless souls trying to save themselves. They think they can somehow earn their way to heaven through good deeds and hard work. They assume it’s possible to accomplish this on their own. They’re wrong.

As you read through Luke 12:16-21 today, stop to count the number of times the “rich fool,” as he is known, says the words “I,” “my,” and “myself.” It’s a sad picture of the self-directed man, trying to make his own way and secure his own future with no help from anyone—including God.

The Lord does not mince words with this man. Entering the scene in verse 20, God immediately calls him a fool! Don’t miss the severity in the condemnation. By relying solely on his own short-sighted selfishness and pride, this man left nothing behind at the end of his life—except a pile of grain.

The message for us today is that, when we strike off on our own and initiate actions with no thought of God, we are behaving like fools. The Lord has a plan for your life. He knows where you’ll succeed and where you’ll fail. Trust Him to provide the direction you need.
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 3:51am On Aug 04, 2008
[b]The Truth About Believers[/b]Charles Stanley

When I became a new believer, someone patted me on the shoulder and said, “Do the best you can,” which is unbiblical and unhelpful advice. A while later, I was discipled by some faithful saints, who taught me the truth about believers.

A believer is identified as a child of God. Through prayer, we have access to our Father at any time, and we can expect that He will be faithful to every one of His promises. What’s more, we are no longer classified as “sinners,” a term describing those who have not received Jesus Christ as Savior. We’ve been transformed into saints—holy persons saved by grace and set apart for God’s purposes. Sin and temptation will continue to be realities for us as long as we’re on earth. But since our transgressions are forgiven, our new identity cannot change.

A believer is positioned in Christ. God’s Spirit dwells in us so we can live righteously, as Christ did. To describe this relationship, He used a grapevine metaphor. The Lord is the vine, and we are the branches connected to Him and drawing on His power (John 15:1-5).

A believer’s mission is to show Christ to the world. Our vine is to bear the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). When our character and conduct reflect these aspects of Jesus’ nature, we help others to see the beauty of a relationship with the Lord.

The truth about believers is that we don’t have to “do the best we can.” God works through His children to accomplish His purposes.
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 4:43pm On Aug 10, 2008
Two Horses

Just up the road from my home is a field, with two horses in it. From a distance, each looks like every other horse. But if you stop your car, or are walking by, you will notice something quite amazing. Looking into the eyes of one horse will disclose that he is blind. His owner has chosen not to have him put down, but has made a good home for him. This alone is amazing.

If nearby and listening, you will hear the sound of a bell. Looking around for the source of the sound, you will see that it comes from the smaller horse in the field. Attached to her halter is a small bell. It lets her blind friend know where she is, so he can follow her.

As you stand and watch these two friends, you'll see how she is always checking on him, and that he will listen for her bell and the n slowly walk to where she is, trusting that she will not lead him astray. When she returns to the shelter of the barn each evening, she stops occasionally and looks back, making sure her friend isn't too far behind to hear the bell.

Like the owners of these two horses, God does not throw us away just because we are not perfect or because we have problems or challenges. He watches over us and even brings others into our lives to help us when we are in need.

Sometimes we are the blind horse being guided by the little ringing bell of those who God places in our lives. Other times we are the guide horse, helping others to find their way.

Good friends are like this, You don't always see them, but you know they're always there.

Please listen for my bell and I'll listen for yours.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Re: Something To Think About by AKO1(m): 5:22pm On Aug 10, 2008
Thanks smiley
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 3:36am On Aug 28, 2008
Why Women Cry

A little boy asked his mother, "Why are you crying?" "Because I'm a woman," she told him. "I don't understand," he said. His Mom just hugged him and said, "And you never will." Later the little boy asked his father, "Why does mother seem to cry for no reason?" "All women cry for no reason," was all his dad could say.

The little boy grew up and became a man, still wondering why women cry. Finally he put in a call to God. When God got on the phone, he asked, "God, why do women cry so easily?"

God said:

"When I made the woman she had to be special. I made her shoulders strong enough to carry the weight of the world, yet gentle enough to give comfort.

I gave her an inner strength to endure childbirth and the rejection that many times comes from her children.

I gave her a hardness that allows her to keep going when everyone else gives up, and take care of her family through sickness and fatigue without complaining.

I gave her the sensitivity to love her children under any and all circumstances, even when her child has hurt her very badly.

I gave her strength to carry her husband through his faults and fashioned her from his rib to protect his heart.

I gave her wisdom to know that a good husband never hurts his wife, but sometimes tests her strengths and her resolve to stand beside him unfalteringly.

And finally, I gave her a tear to shed. This is hers exclusively to use whenever it is needed."

"You see my son," said God, "the beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart - the place where love resides."
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 9:57pm On Sep 06, 2008
Allow Your Own Inner Light to Guide You
There comes a time when you must stand alone.

You must feel confident enough within yourself to follow your own dreams.

You must be willing to make sacrifices.

You must be capable of changing and rearranging your priorities so that your final goal can be achieved.

Sometimes, familiarity and comfort need to be challenged.

There are times when you must take a few extra chances and create your own realities.

Be strong enough to at least try to make your life better.

Be confident enough that you won't settle for a compromise just to get by.

Appreciate yourself by allowing yourself the opportunities to grow, develop, and find your true sense of purpose in this life.

Don't stand in someone else's shadow when it's your sunlight that should lead the way
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 3:08pm On Sep 13, 2008
difference between desperation and determination

What is the difference between desperation and determination? The difference comes from having a positive, meaningful direction.

The energy of desperation is wasted on self-pity and negativity. That can lead to destructive behavior, which only makes the sense of desperation worse.

Yet by choosing a positive orientation, you can always transform the self-defeating energy of your desperation into solid, potent determination. By applying that energy toward a positive purpose, you can make great and valuable improvements in your world.

If you become dismayed, discouraged or even desperate, recognize that there's a positive opportunity. For it signals that you are ready and willing to be genuinely determined.

And when determination fuels your actions, those actions bring real results. Persistence, effectiveness and power flow naturally and solidly from purposeful determination.

Just one step away from desperation is the energy of determination. Take that step, and put all that energy to good use.

source: greatday inspiration
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 4:34am On Sep 18, 2008
A Good Woman

A good woman is proud of herself. She respects herself and others. She is aware of who she is. She neither seeks definition from the person she is with, or does she expect them to read her mind. She is quite capable of articulating her needs.

A good woman is hopeful. She is strong enough to make all her dreams come true, She knows love, therefore she gives love. She recognizes that her love has great value and must be reciprocated. If her love is taken for granted, it soon disappears.

A good woman has a dash of inspiration, a dabble of endurance. She knows that she will, at times, have to inspire others to reach the potential God gave them. A good woman knows her past, understands her present and moves toward the future.

A good woman knows God. She knows that with God the world is her playground, but without God she will just be played. A good woman does not live in fear of the future because of her past. Instead, she understands that her life experiences are merely lessons, meant to bring her closer to self knowledge and unconditional self love. Girl Smile, YOU KNOW YOU HAVE IT GOING ON! , So Keep ON Keeping On.
Re: Something To Think About by Laurnetta(f): 12:00pm On Sep 18, 2008
These r beautiful canyon. r u a writer?
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 6:08am On Sep 21, 2008
Yes, i write love poems (won prizes 2ice) and short love stories.  When I am ready, I'll direct y'all to my site. However, these are not mines.  kiss

Peace
Re: Something To Think About by pilgrim1(f): 9:47pm On Sep 22, 2008
Great reflections, Cayon. wink
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 8:28pm On Oct 31, 2008
He Is God

He is the First and Last,
The Beginning and the End!

He is the keeper of Creation and the Creator of all!
He is the Architect of the universe and the Manager of all times.
He always was, He always is, and He always will be ,
unmoved, Unchanged, Undefeated, and never Undone!

He was bruised and brought healing!
He was pierced and eased pain!
He was persecuted and brought freedom!
He was dead and brought life!
He is risen and brings power!
He reigns and brings Peace!
The world can't understand him,
The armies can't defeat Him,
The schools can't explain Him, and The leaders can't ignore Him.
Herod couldn't kill Him, The Pharisees couldn't confuse Him, and The people couldn't hold Him!
Nero couldn't crush Him, Hitler couldn't silence Him,
The New Age can't replace Him, and "Oprah" can't explain Him away!

He is light, love, longevity, and Lord.
He is goodness, Kindness, Gentleness, and God.
He is Holy, Righteous, mighty, powerful, and pure.

His ways are right,
His word is eternal,
His will is unchanging, and His mind is on me.
He is my Savior,
He is my guide, and He is my peace!
He is my Joy,
He is my comfort,
He is my Lord, and He rules my life!

I serve Him because His bond is love,
His burden is light, and His goal for me is abundant life.

I follow Him because He is the wisdom of the wise,
the power of the powerful,
the ancient of days, the ruler of rulers, the leader of leaders, the overseer of the overcomers, and is to come. And if that seems impressive to you, try this for size.

His goal is a relationship with ME!
He will never leave me,
never forsake me,
never mislead me,
never forget me,
never overlook me and
never cancel my appointment in His appointment book!

When I fall, He lifts me up!
When I fail, He forgives!
When I am weak, He is strong!
When I am lost, He is the way!
When I am afraid, He is my courage!
When I stumble, He steadies me!
When I am hurt, He heals me!
When I am broken, He mends me!
When I am blind, He leads me!
When I am hungry, He feeds me!
When I face trials, He is with me!
When I face persecution, He shields me!
When I face problems, He comforts me!
When I face loss, He provides for me!
When I face Death, He carries me Home!

He is everything for everybody everywhere, every time, and every way.

He is God, He is faithful. I am His, and He is mine!

My Father in heaven can whip the father of this world.
So, if you're wondering why I feel so secure, understand this,

He said it and that settles it.
God is in control, I am on His side,
and that means all is well with my soul.

Everyday is a blessing for GOD Is!
Re: Something To Think About by xanadu: 9:06pm On Oct 31, 2008
Great stuff, Cayon, beautiful and inspiring words.

In these times of economic and financial stress, political intrigues and socio-economic uncertainties - I do recommend that this thread be placed on Nairaland's front page.

I am sure it will serve as a sort of oasis of comfort and encouragement to all who read it.

Thanks again.
Re: Something To Think About by PollMaster: 9:11pm On Oct 31, 2008
spillage from a frustrated mind.
lmfao.

u dnt have to respond to this post o.
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 9:16pm On Oct 31, 2008
xanadu:

I do recommend that this thread be placed on Nairaland's front page.

Thanks again.
Thanks darling but I prefer my thread moving rather than standing still kiss
Re: Something To Think About by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:38am On Nov 01, 2008
These are great cayon.
@all
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swaps of the not quite, the not yet, and the not at all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists. It is real. It is possible. It is yours.
Re: Something To Think About by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:44am On Nov 01, 2008
You ever look a picture of yourself, and see a stranger in the background?. It makes you wonder how many strangers have pictures of you. How many moments of other peoples life have we been in. Were we a part of someone's life when their dream came true or were we there when their dream died. Did we keep trying to get in? As if we were somehow destined to be there or did the shot take us by surprise. Just think, you could be a big part of someone elses life, and not even know it.
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 3:05pm On Nov 02, 2008
I don't believe fathers are replaceable, not even by a good mother and a stepdad. even though fathers are not around when you need them in person - all their words of wisdom over the telephone still have long lasting effect on your life.

the novelist Virginia Woolf wrote once that women think back through their mothers. if that’s true, then what fathers give their daughters, perhaps, is the confidence to envision and fight for a new future for themselves. A father offers his daughter a model of authority, responsibility, and decision-making that will help when the time comes for her to tap into her own power and stand up to the stereotypes and assumptions

Sometimes the only hope a Daddy’s girl has for growing up, letting her father go, and living beyond the wounds her father inflicted upon her is to accept her father for the man he was and release him from the man she fantasized him being but never was
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 4:31am On Nov 23, 2008
Christians - By Maya Angelou

When I say, "I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'."
I'm whispering "I was lost,
Now I'm found and forgiven."

I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble
and need Christ to be my guide.

I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak
And need His strength to carry on.

I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed
And need God to clean my mess.

I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible
But, God believes I am worth it.

I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches
So I call upon His name.

I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner
Who received God's good grace, somehow!
Re: Something To Think About by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:16am On Nov 23, 2008
Kahlil Gibran once wrote: Your reason and your passion are the rudder and sails of your seafaring soul. If either be broken, you can but toss and drift or else be held at a standstill in mid-seas. For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining. And passion, unattended is a flame that burns to its own destruction.
Re: Something To Think About by mantraa: 10:47am On Nov 23, 2008
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment,

such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewellery, and fine clothes.

Instead it should be that of your inner self.

The unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit,

which is of great worth in God's eyes.
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 11:32pm On Dec 12, 2008
Around the corner I have a friend,
In this great city that has no end,
Yet the days go by and weeks rush on,
And before I know it, a year is gone.

And I never see my old friend's face,
For life is a swift and terrible race,
He knows I like him just as well,
As in the days when I rang his bell.

And he rang mine but we were younger then,
And now we are busy, tired men.

Tired of playing a foolish game,
Tired of trying to make a name,
'Tomorrow' I say! 'I will call on Jim
Just to show that I'm thinking of him.'

But tomorrow comes and tomorrow goes,
And distance between us grows and grows.
Around the corner, yet miles away,
'Here's a telegram sir,' 'Jim died today.'
And that's what we get and deserve in the end.
Around the corner, a vanished friend.

Remember to always say what you mean.
If you love someone, tell them.
Because when you decide that it is the right time it might be too late.
Seize the day. Never have regrets.
And most importantly, stay close to your friends and family,
for they have helped make you the person that you are today.

Anonymous
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 11:59pm On Dec 13, 2008
I was shocked, confused, bewildered
as I entered Heaven's door,
Not by the beauty of it all,
by the lights or its decor.

But it was the folks in Heaven
who made me sputter and gasp--
the thieves, the liars, the sinners,
the alcoholics, the trash.

There stood the kid from seventh grade
who swiped my lunch money twice.
Next to him was my old neighbor
who never said anything nice.

Herb, who I always thought
was rotting away in hell,
was sitting pretty on cloud nine,
looking incredibly well.

I nudged Jesus, "What's the deal?
I would love to hear Your take.
How'd all these sinners get up here?
God must've made a mistake.

And why's everyone so quiet,
so somber? Give me a clue."
"Hush, child," said He "They're all in shock.
No one thought they'd see you."

Judge NOT.

Anonymous
Re: Something To Think About by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:14am On Dec 14, 2008
The act itself never varies. But each kiss carries with it a meaning all its own. It can convey a husband's eternal devotion. Or a wife's enormous regret. It can symbolize a mother's growing concern. Or a lover's growing passion. But whatever its meaning, each kiss reflects a basic human need. The need to connect to another human being. This desire is so strong it's always amazing when some people don't understand it. Kisses are such simple things, we hardly notice them. But if we paid more attention, we'd see that each kiss conveys a meaning all its own. For example, some can say, 'I'm so happy to see you.' Or, 'I didn't realize you'd be here.' Or 'honey, it's time to stop drinking.' The trick is in knowing how to tell the difference.
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 3:39am On Dec 18, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

These are great cayon.
@all
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swaps of the not quite, the not yet, and the not at all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists. It is real. It is possible. It is yours.
Thanks. Right now, i am the happiest woman in the world. smiley

@topic

When you breathe -

Breathe legacy

Breather forgiveness

Breathe purpose

Breathe tolerance

Breathe happiness

Breathe forgiveness

Breathe Love
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 9:52pm On Dec 20, 2008
KNOW THY SELF 

A person who knows not 
And knows not that they know not 
Is foolish - disregard them 

A person who knows not 
And knows that they know not 
Is simple - teach them 

A person who knows not 
And believes that they know 
Is dangerous - avoid them 

A person who knows 
And knows not that they know 
Is asleep - awaken them 

A person who knows 
and knows that they know 
Is wise - follow them 

All of these persons reside in you 

Adaptation of an ancient African proverb
Re: Something To Think About by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:16am On Dec 21, 2008
Cameras are simple tools designed to capture images. Images that tell us more about ourselves than we realize. They remind us of the long journey we've taken. The loved ones who traveled alongside of us. Those we lost along the way. And those waiting for us on the road ahead.
Yes, cameras are tools designed to capture images. But in truth, they can capture so much more. They can uncover hidden longing of men who should no longer care. They can reveal the extraordinary secrets of the most ordinary marriages. Most amazing of all, cameras can quietly and clearly reveal to us our dreams. Dreams we didn't even know we had.
Re: Something To Think About by Ascony(m): 12:59pm On Dec 21, 2008
@poster and others
I think it would be bettter to post your own poems/articles, rather than posting others'.
If you want to share your favourite poems/articles, why not give us the link to read it directly?
Or better still specify the writer/author of each stuff you post So we can know which one is yours and not.
Am i making any sense?
Re: Something To Think About by Cayon(f): 4:28am On Dec 30, 2008
Ascony:

@poster and others
I think it would be bettter to post your own poems/articles, rather than posting others'.
If you want to share your favourite poems/articles, why not give us the link to read it directly?
Or better still specify the writer/author of each stuff you post So we can know which one is yours and not.
Am i making any sense?

Noted with thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Both Islamics And Christian Invited: What Do You Think Happens After We Die? / The Rapture—a Popular But False Doctrine! - Stop Following Men / A Pastor Wrote This To Me......

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.