Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,318 members, 7,836,375 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? (10512 Views)

How To Prove To A Christian That Jesus Was A Muslim? / She's A Christian,am A Muslim. Can This Marriage Work? / Is It "safe" For A Christian To Read The Qur'an? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by good4all: 4:58am On Dec 24, 2013
Eating food prepared for a Christian
festival

What is the ruling on eating food prepared for
a Christian festival? What is the ruling on
accepting their invitation to their celebrations
of the birth of the Messiah (peace be upon
him) [i.e., Christmas celebrations]?

Praise be to Allaah.
It is not permissible to celebrate innovated
festivals such as the Christmas of the
Christians, or Nowrooz (Persian New Year) or
Mahrajaan (Persian festival), or festivals that
have been innovated by Muslims such as the
Prophet’s birthday in Rabee’ al-Awwal or the
Israa’ in Rajab and so on. It is not permissible
to eat from that food which the Christians or
Mushrikeen prepare on the occasion of their
festivals. It is also not permissible to accept
their invitations to join them in their
celebrations of those festivals, because this
encourages them and is tantamount to
approving of their bid’ah, which gives the
wrong idea to ignorant people and makes them
think that there is nothing wrong with that.
And Allaah knows best.

From Al-Lu’lu’ al-Makeen min Fataawaa Ibn
Jibreen, p. 27.
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by segzyj(m): 6:20am On Dec 24, 2013
good4all: Eating food prepared for a Christian
festival

What is the ruling on eating food prepared for
a Christian festival? What is the ruling on
accepting their invitation to their celebrations
of the birth of the Messiah (peace be upon
him) [i.e., Christmas celebrations]?

Praise be to Allaah.
It is not permissible to celebrate innovated
festivals such as the Christmas of the
Christians, or Nowrooz (Persian New Year) or
Mahrajaan (Persian festival), or festivals that
have been innovated by Muslims such as the
Prophet’s birthday in Rabee’ al-Awwal or the
Israa’ in Rajab and so on. It is not permissible
to eat from that food which the Christians or
Mushrikeen prepare on the occasion of their
festivals. It is also not permissible to accept
their invitations to join them in their
celebrations of those festivals, because this
encourages them and is tantamount to
approving of their bid’ah, which gives the
wrong idea to ignorant people and makes them
think that there is nothing wrong with that.
And Allaah knows best.

From Al-Lu’lu’ al-Makeen min Fataawaa Ibn
Jibreen, p. 27.

Which Kind Boko Haram Question be dis sef?
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by TVTKOKO(m): 6:42am On Dec 24, 2013
Com'n wtf. It's nt as if they are begging u to eat. FYI, here in my area,xmas is celebrate by both muslim and christian so stop deceiving ur self
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by rmaubsiau(m): 7:03am On Dec 24, 2013
jazakallau khair....
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by rmaubsiau(m): 7:06am On Dec 24, 2013
Baby mama:

Go sort out the Sunni and shitte hatred issues before talking about your dealings with others faiths

hey hey hey, look who's talking, we all have sects in our religion so stop pretending as if the whole of christaindom is a unified entity.

1 Like

Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by Akindarchi(m): 7:18am On Dec 24, 2013
What is sinful remains sinful even if the whole world is engaged in it, and what is right remains right and correct even if no one is practising it.
I believe that something to add to the op is that one has to be careful and intelligent when declining the invites so as not to brew hatred or unnecessary ill feelings.
Allah knows best, asalam alaykum warahmahtullahi wabarakatuh

1 Like

Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by DMainMan: 7:30am On Dec 24, 2013
Try as much as possible to avoid it. Eating it is as if u acknowledge their celebration as Jesus (AS) didnt die as he is no son of God but a prophet.

Even their fellow christian e.g Jehovah Witness and Deeper life are against it. U av nothing to lose

1 Like

Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by drestoneokuta(m): 7:43am On Dec 24, 2013
Na u ask question, na u answer am. If u no wan chop christmas chicken no be by force ooo. Look around u and tell me u don't like d beautiful decorations, the distribution of gifts, happy children playing around u, the beautiful christmas songs in d air, and everyone in d spirit of christmas....if u don't appreciate dis, den dere is more to dis dan ur belief. Join the train bro, join the train...

1 Like

Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by maclatunji: 1:06pm On Dec 24, 2013
DMainMan: Try as much as possible to avoid it. Eating it is as if u acknowledge their celebration as Jesus (AS) didnt die as he is no son of God but a prophet.

Even their fellow christian e.g Jehovah Witness and Deeper life are against it. U av nothing to lose

It does not exactly work like this O. You are using your own logic not basing your conclusion on Islamic injunctions.
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by maclatunji: 1:17pm On Dec 24, 2013
I believe this Imam is on point http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/19135

The summary is that- it is preferred that you do not eat Christmas food but if you do eat it without believing in "christmas being special", there is no harm.
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by DMainMan: 1:46pm On Dec 24, 2013
maclatunji:

It does not exactly work like this O. You are using your own logic not basing your conclusion on Islamic injunctions.

Ok.
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by Ali1king: 9:45pm On Dec 05, 2015
"Al-halal bayyinun wa al-haram bayinnum". What is halal is visible, what is haram is visble.
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Dec 06, 2015
I remember as a child us taking EI'd food to a Christian family and they either giving it to the dog or throwing in the bin (can't remember which). The point I'm trying to prove here is not only Muslims have restrictions about participating or acknowledging celebrations by other religions.
Let's educate ourselves and keep halal every thing we do whether it be what we take in or what we wear e. T. C.
This ruling isn't conclusive cos I've read of another scholarly opinion which states that only the meat products are haram to take cos they are slaughtered for other than Allah. The non poultry food can actually be taken e. G. Rice, drinks, veggies e. T. C however we all know thst here in nigeria the turkey/chicken stock would most p rolly be used in cooking the rice.
justification for this is found in these hadiths:

Ibn Abi Shaybah narrated that a woman asked ‘Aa’ishah: We have some wet nurses from among the Magians, and they have a festival on which they bring us gifts. She said: As for what is slaughtered for that day, do not eat it, but eat from their vegetables.

It was narrated from Abu Barzah that he had some Magian neighbours who used to bring him gifts on the occasion of Nayrooz and Mahrjaan, and he used to say to his family: Whatever is of fruits, eat it, and whatever is otherwise, reject it.
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by malvisguy212: 10:11pm On Dec 06, 2015
enieme:
I remember as a child us taking EI'd food to a Christian family and they either giving it to the dog or throwing in the bin (can't remember which). The point I'm trying to prove here is not only Muslims have restrictions about participating or acknowledging celebrations by other religions.
Let's educate ourselves and keep halal every thing we do whether it be what we take in or what we wear e. T. C.
This ruling isn't conclusive cos I've read of another scholarly opinion which states that only the meat products are haram to take cos they are slaughtered for other than Allah. The non poultry food can actually be taken e. G. Rice, drinks, veggies e. T. C however we all know thst here in nigeria the turkey/chicken stock would most p rolly be used in cooking the rice.
justification for this is found in these hadiths:

Ibn Abi Shaybah narrated that a woman asked ‘Aa’ishah: We have some wet nurses from among the Magians, and they have a festival on which they bring us gifts. She said: As for what is slaughtered for that day, do not eat it, but eat from their vegetables.

It was narrated from Abu Barzah that he had some Magian neighbours who used to bring him gifts on the occasion of Nayrooz and Mahrjaan, and he used to say to his family: Whatever is of fruits, eat it, and whatever is otherwise, reject it.

All what the op write are religious ritual which is not important to salvation, I ate sallah food and I see no harm if a muslims do likewise, scripture say:

Matthew 15:11-12
Context
What Defiles a Man
10 After Jesus called the crowd to Him,
He said to them, "Hear and understand.
11"It is not what enters into the mouth
that defiles the man, but what proceeds
out of the mouth, this defiles the man."
12Then the disciples came and said to
Him, "Do You know that the Pharisees
were offended when they heard this
statement?"…

The Pharisees are over religious in the sense that they value there own effort more than the holiness God required.
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 06, 2015
malvisguy212:
All what the op write are religious ritual which is not important to salvation, I ate sallah food and I see no harm if a muslims do likewise, scripture say:

Matthew 15:11-12
Context
What Defiles a Man
10 After Jesus called the crowd to Him,
He said to them, "Hear and understand.
11"It is not what enters into the mouth
that defiles the man, but what proceeds
out of the mouth, this defiles the man."
12Then the disciples came and said to
Him, "Do You know that the Pharisees
were offended when they heard this
statement?"…

The Pharisees are over religious in the sense that they value there own effort more than the holiness God required.
who are the Pharisees? And by that do U mean that there's absolutely no religious text prohibiting Christians from eating out of d Muslim salah food?
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by malvisguy212: 10:29pm On Dec 06, 2015
enieme:

who are the Pharisees? And by that do U mean that there's absolutely no religious text prohibiting Christians from eating out of d Muslim salah food?
the Pharisees are religious teachers, who value the latters more than the holiness of God. The bible verse I provide is self explanatory.

Let me ask;you are a doctor and on a Sunday morning, if your love one is sick and his life is at stake,just because your religion command, you should not work on Sunday, will you leave him to die helplessly?
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 06, 2015
malvisguy212:
the Pharisees are religious teachers, who value the latters more than the holiness of God. The bible verse I provide is self explanatory.

Let me ask;you are a doctor and on a Sunday morning, if your love one is sick and his life is at stake,just because your religion command, you should not work on Sunday, will you leave him to die helplessly?

lOL. Ur example situation doesnt fit. choosing whether or not to eat salah/Christmas food isn't a catch 22 situation.
this family wasn't exactly a pastor's family. Just a regular chrisitian family though im not sure of their denomination
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by malvisguy212: 10:44pm On Dec 06, 2015
enieme:

lOL. Ur example situation doesnt fit. choosing whether or not to eat salah/Christmas food isn't a catch 22 situation.
this family wasn't exactly a pastor's family. Just a regular chrisitian family though im not sure of their denomination
my point is,the command not to eat or eat sallah and Christmas food are religious ritual which cannot defiled a man. Let me explained:

Acts 10:14-15
"Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have
never eaten anything impure or unclean."
The voice spoke to him a second time,
"Do not call anything impure that God
has made clean."

Religion ritual are making what God made clean to be impure. Just as God will prefer you treat your love one on Sunday ( at the crucial time) religious will say otherwise.
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by Nobody: 9:32am On Dec 08, 2015
malvisguy212:
my point is,the command not to eat or eat sallah and Christmas food are religious ritual which cannot defiled a man. Let me explained:

Acts 10:14-15
"Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have
never eaten anything impure or unclean."
The voice spoke to him a second time,
"Do not call anything impure that God
has made clean."

Religion ritual are making what God made clean to be impure. Just as God will prefer you treat your love one on Sunday ( at the crucial time) religious will say otherwise.
sorry but I really can't comprehend this explanation? Can u pls explain in another way?
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Dec 17, 2015
every sect in Christianity is at peace with one another. At least we're not fighting and killing each other. Xmas celebrations really? is that even a basis for an argument?? we love each other just as Christ commanded us to.
rmaubsiau:

hey hey hey, look who's talking, we all have sects in our religion so stop pretending as if the whole of christaindom is a unified entity. GO and also solve your problems (catholics ,protestants etc) few days ago , a deeper life pastor told u guys that celebrating christmas is idolatry. SO DEAL WITH THAT
Re: Can We Eat Food Prepared For A Christian Festival? by malvisguy212: 1:44am On Dec 19, 2015
Millerz:
every sect in Christianity is at peace with one another. At least we're not fighting and killing each other. Xmas celebrations really? is that even a basis for an argument?? we love each other just as Christ commanded us to.
God bless you abundantly. I read your latest thread how God not answering your prayer. It is not your fault and it is not that God is not listening to you. There is something you need to know how biblical faith work, biblical faith is an active faith with character. The point is that you must be persistent in prayer to achieve result. You must have that "NEVER-GIVE-UP" when praying... When you pray and you are yet to get results,you need to continue praying. Take for example in luke ;

Luke 18:1-8, "And he spake a parable
unto them to this end, that men ought
always to pray, and not to faint; Saying,
There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man: And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary. And he would not for
a while: but afterward he said within
himself, Though I fear not God, nor
regard man; YET BECAUSE THIS WIDOW
TROUBLETH ME,I WILL AVENGE HER , LEST BY HER CONTINUE COMING SHE WEARY ME. And the Lord said,Hear what the unjust judge saith. And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily."

Here is a judge that was fearless, and
would not avenge this widow's adversary. But she kept asking him
OVER and OVER and the judge finally
gave in to her requests, lest she
weary him by her continual coming. How much more you whom God love.

I recommend you read this thread and God will answer you prayer
https://www.nairaland.com/2318252/reason-why-prayer-not-being

Maby you are in a situation were you fill like there is no way out ,you keep asking, were are you Lord? People do tough time in the desert but believe it or not God use it for Good. Help is on the way . You just have to believe. Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Can Sunni Man Marry A Shia Woman? / Prophet Mohammed's Married Life Explained: U Can Ask Your Questions Politely / How Do You Cope With The Fasting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.