Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

Nigeria On Google Maps - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria On Google Maps (3610 Views)

Ahmed Mazloum Represents Nigeria On Kilimanjaro Mountain / How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? / Nigeria Street Maps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 5:07pm On Dec 24, 2013
Oshogbo, State capital of Osun State

Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 5:09pm On Dec 24, 2013
I can say that 3/4s of this city is slum. There are some newer developments to the east of the city proper but they look like scattered rich man's homes.
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by asha80(m): 5:14pm On Dec 24, 2013
you are looking for trouble i hipe you know that.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 24, 2013
Guy, make u know as u go dey abuse things o. Currently na where I dey and I don't think there's a slum as u said. Abi u and Aregbesola dey quarrel?
Hmm...politics things embarassed
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by oneeast1: 5:16pm On Dec 24, 2013
It is clear from the satelite that this is 80percent slum state capital. This sophisticated people sef.. grin
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by IGBOSON1: 5:18pm On Dec 24, 2013
I don't know why many cities in the South West are unplanned like we're seeing with Oshogbo. I've checked google overviews of Onitsha, Aba, Owerri and Enugu, and i noticed the older sections of the city are well planned; however new estates and settlements springing up in these cities look exactly like what we're seeing in Oshogbo! The whole of Awka looks unplanned, so it's not all cities in the South East that are like that!

What this shows is a failure of leadership in recent years!

Ikengawo, can you do same for Aba and Onitsha so peeps see what i'm talking about.
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by SQURA(f): 5:20pm On Dec 24, 2013
you are inviting the wrath of musiwa
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by IGBOSON1: 5:20pm On Dec 24, 2013
one.east1:
This is 80percent slum state capital. This sophisticated people sef.. grin

^^^I wouldn't call what we're seeing a slum......rather it's more a case of the city being unplanned!
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 24, 2013
Did you also see the crescents in that map. Sign of B............. H................m.
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 5:27pm On Dec 24, 2013
IGBO-SON:
I don't know why many cities in the South West are unplanned like we're seeing with Oshogbo. I've checked google overviews of Onitsha, Aba, Owerri and Enugu, and i noticed the older sections of the city are well planned; however new estates and settlements springing up in these cities look exactly like what we're seeing in Oshogbo! The whole of Awka looks unplanned, so it's not all cities in the South East that are like that!

Ikengawo, can you do same for Aba and Onitsha so peeps see what i'm talking about.

Owerri
Enugu
Onitcha
Awka

Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 5:28pm On Dec 24, 2013
Aba

Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by themaskedman: 5:29pm On Dec 24, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^I wouldn't call what we're seeing a slum......rather it's more a case of the city being unplanned!
Most cities in Nigeria today aren‘t planned. People just buy land and build houses without supervision from the relevant Ministries of Urban and Rural Development.
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Nobody: 5:30pm On Dec 24, 2013
From the maps shown above, one information is certain, the satellite images are not up to date.

The maps for the Eastern region simply shows that Igbos are doing well. Show me crescents?
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 5:32pm On Dec 24, 2013
For some reason I can't upload Aba :/

i will try later.

Most Nigerian cities follow the same path, but once it gets to residential housing estates the builders don't give a damn! Some of the new development should incorporate satelite technology because while on the ground the new roads look nice, from the sky they're crooked and look like a child drew them. It will eventually cause long term problems because if blocks aren't uniformed it's hard to plan and budget their development.
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by oneeast1: 5:35pm On Dec 24, 2013
Awka is not unplanned because it has got UN-Habitat masterplan alongside Onitsha and Nnewi which is being implemented now.

IGBO-SON:

Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 5:39pm On Dec 24, 2013
one.east1:
Awka is not unplanned because has got UN-Habitat masterplan alongside Onitsha and Nnewi which is being implemented now.

what's that?

I didn't realize that my village as so close to Anambra. I used to wonder why I understood musicians from Anambra better than some from my own Imo state. Northern Igbo artists no problem though cool
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by bjtinz: 5:44pm On Dec 24, 2013
@Op, there you go again. U want to start u can't win or finish. By they come Una go begin cry. U know you guys are experts at whining. ;d
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by IGBOSON1: 5:48pm On Dec 24, 2013
Keneking: From the maps shown above, one information is certain, the satellite images are not up to date.

The maps for the Eastern region simply shows that Igbos are doing well. Show me crescents?

^^^I also don't like the useless camera they used for some sections of Nigeria; compared to the bright vivid ones for some western cities like London for instance. Just go to Google Earth and you'd realise what i mean. Also like you said, the captures for some Nigerian cities are old and not yet updated!
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 5:51pm On Dec 24, 2013
The camera is the same everywhere. Many nigerian cities are completely full of dust and this dust enters the atmosphere giving everything a very hazy look. Also, many of the european cities were active in their photography and made sure to take pictures from all corners to that you can enable 3D viewing while lawmakers in Nigeria are discussing Goodluck Jonathan's wife.
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by IGBOSON1: 5:54pm On Dec 24, 2013
Ikengawo: For some reason I can't upload Aba :/

i will try later.

Most Nigerian cities follow the same path, but once it gets to residential housing estates the builders don't give a damn! Some of the new development should incorporate satelite technology because while on the ground the new roads look nice, from the sky they're crooked and look like a child drew them. It will eventually cause long term problems because if blocks aren't uniformed it's hard to plan and budget their development.

^^^Owerri and Aba are the best planned cities in the South East, then comes Onitsha (new areas like Awada, Woliwo, GRA, etc) and Enugu.
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by IGBOSON1: 5:56pm On Dec 24, 2013
Ikengawo: The camera is the same everywhere. Many nigerian cities are completely full of dust and this dust enters the atmosphere giving everything a very hazy look. Also, many of the european cities were active in their photography and made sure to take pictures from all corners to that you can enable 3D viewing while lawmakers in Nigeria are discussing Goodluck Jonathan's wife.

^^^I suppose you're right......maybe the images were captured during harmattan. sad

Notice the difference in clarity between the Awka and Enugu pics.....the Awka one looks fresher and greener!
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 7:31am On Dec 25, 2013
a lot of the northern pictures look very hazy as well (btw that region is nothing to write home about as we could all guess, though the middle belt is surprisingly the economic life of the whole north), so that's where i drew my conclusion from
Pollution is also a factor, we're looking at a mix of car exhaust and dust. Aba and Onitcha have enormous populations and a lot of activity, so it'll look hazy where as laid back places like Owerri Oshogbo and Awka are going to look 'cleaner'. Lagos also have a grey haze.
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 7:35am On Dec 25, 2013
Keneking: Did you also see the crescents in that map. Sign of B............. H................m.

I noticed that as well. I think Yoruba land is majority muslim, the density of mosques in a lot of places resembles the north, not even the middle belt has that many in such a tight area
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by geeez: 2:02pm On Dec 25, 2013
A lot depends on where you're looking at in the city

Below are Google Earth pictures of Oshogbo

Besides, a lot of cities in the SW are far bigger than SE cities in terms of landmass

So its possible to have a congregation of good looking houses over a small expanse in the SE while in the SW, you have an equal number of good looking houses scattered around

1 Like

Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 9:03pm On Dec 25, 2013
Its very clear that you're taking pictures of the outskirts of town there the rich live, every town has these. Use the area where google designates as the city because of it's centripetal location. You can't take a picture of 2 city blocks zoomed in extremely close and call it oshogbo, you even searched the cities rail station as opposed to the city it's self.

Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 9:46pm On Dec 25, 2013
Progressive Moderators have disabled my ability to upload pictures...
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by justwise(m): 11:19pm On Dec 25, 2013
Ikengawo: Progressive Moderators have disabled my ability to upload pictures...

How? Are you sure about that allegation?
Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 3:10am On Dec 27, 2013
Aba

Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 4:31am On Dec 27, 2013
Population Density of Igbo Land (Anambra country side)

Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 4:44am On Dec 27, 2013
Question for Deltans and Anambrans.

What's the story behind these islands between both states in the Niger Delta? Who owns them and what are they used for?

Re: Nigeria On Google Maps by Ikengawo: 8:47pm On Jan 03, 2014
bump

(1) (Reply)

Ghana Diaries: My Experience Travelling To And Living In Ghana / What's The Cost Of Travelling From Osun To Kwara State By Road? / My America Journey...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.