Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,520 members, 7,954,974 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:28 PM

Dad Who Shuns Money - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Dad Who Shuns Money (1507 Views)

Mum Vs Dad. Who Do You Prefer? / A Dad Who Caught His 10 Years Old Daughter With A Boy, Shamed Her On Facebook. / Your Mom Or Dad: Who Do You Speak Often With? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dad Who Shuns Money by texanomaly(f): 6:13pm On Dec 24, 2013
Not sure if this belongs here or in culture:

What do you think of this idea?

Raphael Fellmer: Dad Who Shuns Money
“This strike is to inspire other people to reflect about our other possibilities,” 29-year-old Raphael Fellmer told Yahoo Shine in February about why he and his wife and their then-18-month-old had chosen to rise up against consumerism by living money-free in Berlin. There, they do odd jobs in exchange for housing and other necessities. Fellmer is a full-time “simple living” activist, ... more
Photo: Raphael Fellmer
“This strike is to inspire other people to reflect about our other possibilities,” 29-year-old Raphael Fellmer told Yahoo Shine in February about why he and his wife and their then-18-month-old had chosen to rise up against consumerism by living money-free in Berlin. There, they do odd jobs in exchange for housing and other necessities. Fellmer is a full-time “simple living” activist, running programs to facilitate less-wasteful lifestyles, including one for food-sharing. While plenty of readers ridiculed the family at the time, Fellmer tells Shine today that not only is his family thriving, he and his wife, Nieves, are expecting another child in June. “More and more people truly understand how we are really bringing solutions into the society,” says Fellmer. In the past year he has written a book, helped to expand a food-share network, and begun planning a vegan eco-community on donated land.

1 Like

Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by ZeinabBadawi: 6:17pm On Dec 24, 2013
Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by Joshthefirst(m): 7:34pm On Dec 24, 2013
Nawa o. As far as he provides adequately for his family...
Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by Nobody: 7:39pm On Dec 24, 2013
Consumerism is a biattch!!! I applaud his thoughtfulness.
Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 24, 2013
The man is trying sha. But I don't think he can sustain this lifestyle for long; sooner or later the family would need to make use of money to buy other necessities.
Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by Joshthefirst(m): 7:42pm On Dec 24, 2013
aManFromMars: Consumerism is a biattch!!! I applaud his thoughtfulness.

can you picture yourself doing what he is doing? Will you be able to do so? With a wife, and children?
Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by LarrySun(m): 7:46pm On Dec 24, 2013
Wow! That another man living up to what he believes. I like him, I really do. I'd probably've liked him more if he didn't sport that goatee!
Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by Nobody: 7:50pm On Dec 24, 2013
Joshthefirst: can you picture yourself doing what he is doing? Will you be able to do so? With a wife, and children?
No, but we all have our own crazy idea. Not every one has the balls to actually execute them, like he has. I guess his wife was in support of his decision.

We work too much to survive, this guy lives. Maybe tougher times will come and he might have to go back to a regular job, but he may inspire a few to do more crazy stuff.

3 Likes

Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by texanomaly(f): 9:04pm On Dec 24, 2013
Zeinab Badawi: I'm surprised!!!
What about Medicare and emergency?

This is an interesting question. I looked it up. Germany has a universal health care plan. It is paid for by employers and employees. Apparently money collected is put into a public health fund to be used for all. Employees and employers pay a percentage. Employers pay more, but the percentage rate is a flat rate in both cases. Self employed people purchase their insurance through privately owned companies that are highly regulated by the government. To be honest I'm not sure were this man fits in. I guess if he, or his family needs medical attention he would receive it through the general fund. In this case he would be using money, just not his own. If he can justify that, I guess he has a good plan. I'm not opposed to the way he lives. I am however opposed to paying money into a fund for someone who refuses to contribute. It would be one thing if he was disabled, or for some other legitimate reason he could not contribute. If he can barter for services, more power to him though.

1 Like

Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by ZeinabBadawi: 9:21pm On Dec 24, 2013
Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by deols(f): 12:24pm On Dec 25, 2013
If the other people did not work for money, how would he get the exchange?

The house was definitely built with money. So is the clothes, health care.

1 Like

Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by UyiIredia(m): 2:41am On Jan 01, 2014
aManFromMars:
No, but we all have our own crazy idea. Not every one has the balls to actually execute them, like he has. I guess his wife was in support of his decision.

We work too much to survive, this guy lives. Maybe tougher times will come and he might have to go back to a regular job, but he may inspire a few to do more crazy stuff.

The crazy stuff is using worthy time to make worthless money to get worthy things. I think (and I'm certainly not the first) that money is a sign the humans are fundamentally flawed: if we can't trust ourselves to trade wants, ends and the means in between without money we are bleeped. I wonder at times how stupid it is one has to buy water when the earth's full of it, buy creative pieces (eg poems, paintings, stories, songs etc) when no one man holds it all and any man inspires it another, buy things household materials like toothpicks, candles, clothes, where machines have made it possible to make them in excess.
Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:24pm On Jan 01, 2014
Atleast they are trying to be individuals and bring about a change.

I respect such people.
Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by texanomaly(f): 8:58pm On Jan 01, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:
Atleast they are trying to be individuals and bring about a change.

I respect such people.

Thanks for your comment. smiley

1 Like

Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 01, 2014
texanomaly: Not sure if this belongs here or in culture:

What do you think of this idea?

“This strike is to inspire other people to reflect about our other possibilities,” 29-year-old Raphael Fellmer told Yahoo Shine in February about why he and his wife and their then-18-month-old had chosen to rise up against consumerism by living money-free in Berlin. There, they do odd jobs in exchange for housing and other necessities. Fellmer is a full-time “simple living” activist, ... more
Photo: Raphael Fellmer
“This strike is to inspire other people to reflect about our other possibilities,” 29-year-old Raphael Fellmer told Yahoo Shine in February about why he and his wife and their then-18-month-old had chosen to rise up against consumerism by living money-free in Berlin. There, they do odd jobs in exchange for housing and other necessities. Fellmer is a full-time “simple living” activist, running programs to facilitate less-wasteful lifestyles, including one for food-sharing. While plenty of readers ridiculed the family at the time, Fellmer tells Shine today that not only is his family thriving, he and his wife, Nieves, are expecting another child in June. “More and more people truly understand how we are really bringing solutions into the society,” says Fellmer. In the past year he has written a book, helped to expand a food-share network, and begun planning a vegan eco-community on donated land.

Good for him for rising up against "the man", I suppose. But this cannot be a very convenient lifestyle. I see no real need for it.
Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by texanomaly(f): 9:19pm On Jan 01, 2014
ileobatojo:

Good for him for rising up against "the man", I suppose. But this cannot be a very convenient lifestyle. I see no real need for it.

It is what he has chosen. I don't think its a terrible idea. I simply don't think it is sustainable. If he can get others involved, his lifestyle might have a chance. After all it has been done. If all of society was based on a barter system, maybe. I'm very skeptical though.
Re: Dad Who Shuns Money by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jan 01, 2014
texanomaly:

It is what he has chosen. I don't think its a terrible idea. I simply don't think it is sustainable. If he can get others involved, his lifestyle might have a chance. After all it has been done. If all of society was based on a barter system, maybe. I'm very skeptical though.

Yup. That pretty much sums up what I said.

(1) (Reply)

When To Separate The Children. / Please Read My Dilemma In Relocating To Nigeria / 30 Facts For All Ladies : This Will Shape Your Way Of Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.