Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,713 members, 7,820,494 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

My Salary Account Was Credited Twice - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Salary Account Was Credited Twice (12925 Views)

My Salary Bank Statement In Kogi For 2015 & Last Promotion Letter (pics) / Is It Good To Leave Huge Amount Of Money In Ur Salary Account? / Picture: Anything Bad Spending My Salary This Way? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by Laibankz: 9:27am On Aug 04, 2008
Hi Nairalanders

I am a corper in one of this new indigenous oil companies in Lagos. I was asked to open a salary account in November 2007 of which i did.
In March 2008 i noticed my was credited twice and wanted to raise an alarm but i later changed my mind.
It happened again in April and till last month i have been recieving double of my salary.
I withdrew the money and placed it in my second account(still complete).
I later discovered that their system was the one given this "Blessing"
Am confused because i dont know how to go about this consistent issue.
I feel this is a blessing from God and its definately not my fault.
Should i raise an alarm now or still keep quiet?
really need your replies,
Thanks
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by MrCrackles(m): 9:30am On Aug 04, 2008
My sister it is not a blessing from God oo, sooner or later, audit and checks would reveal the error and you would be asked to return the overpayments

However, they would give u an installmental option if you have spent the money they may be testing your integrity and honesty u know

Be honest, and keep alert them to the error, it would swing things in your favour eventually

1 Like

Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by SOJ(m): 10:26am On Aug 04, 2008
I'm telling u o,dont let ur greedy side take over ur emotions,dearie.na d devil dey do am no be God o!
i advice u to see dis as an opportunity to show how honest u can be (cos ive been there b4!), who knows,this might be a chance to secure a God job and not make a mes of ur opportunity.let ur heart guide u;if u REALLY thot this was God doing it,u would have gone to shop at The Palms and not raise the issue here wink
So since u asked for advice, here it is!
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by deeja(m): 1:10pm On Aug 04, 2008
Well Good for you.Don't blow any alarm.I say you take ur chances but keep the extras till ur service year is over.If you are not called by the bank(which I seriously doubt) then that will be ur own share of d national cake.My guess is that it is NYSC not d bank.There are a lot of scams going on in NYSC that they hardly notice they pay corper twice.I was paid twice when I applied for my unpaid outstanding allowances on redyployment to Lag from Ogun State.Nothing happened.No gain saying that it might error on d teller or account module of the bank(I work in an IT company that develops banking sofware for banks) but I seriously doubt it - up to you!
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by Laibankz: 1:33pm On Aug 04, 2008
@deeja

itz not my corper account itz my office acount.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by forex01(m): 1:53pm On Aug 04, 2008
My sista

I am a corper too servng in Ondo, u said u are servng with an indigeneous oil company, dnt u see dat as an opportunity to get a gud job, rmember ur service year wld be ending in a months time.i promise, b4 u leave they wld discover and ask u to return the mmoney, and that wld be a ? on ur integrity, why didnt u alarm them when u observed that they were paying u double, and would advise you to go and tell them, whatever they say, if they ask you to keep it, then you know you are free of any blame but i doubt that, for your to have posted this nairaland, dat is your conscience is pricking you, Pls do inform them, if not because of today but for tomorrow,
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by omofola(f): 2:10pm On Aug 04, 2008
Sis i advice you to take my advice now,return the money as early as possible,though you should have done this earlier but it's not too late for you to prove your worth and honesty,companies as such can go to any length to test people they want to retain into their companies,moreover if at the end of the day you are not retained,you will still feel justified that you did not take money that you didn't work for and God will be the one to reward you.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 04, 2008
See all of them! "Return the money and let them call you saint theresa" . Not a single person said keep it. Meanwhile, Nigeria is de most corrupt country around. Guy, na you know the company. Ask around if there is not another reason they are paying you twice(ask other corpers). Then assess if there can be any blowback to you (that is being asked to repay). You can even confirm from a lower level staff in the finance dept. before running to start shouting like ghandi. You don't know whether na wetin the big boys for the office dey take chop and you fit come pour sand for their garri

And I surely cannot see how any company would go to such lengths to test your honesty,
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by babe4real(f): 5:40pm On Aug 04, 2008
I will advise u raise an alarm 4 morow's sake cos friends and most nairalanders will be sayin dont 'do dat' , den tink of d shame dat will arise whn called upon 4 questioning wit ur statement of account printed?

In my organisation, there was a time i was credited thrice while most pple were short paid cos d HR lady is new on d job whn sent a mail 2 her dat my salary was credited thrice all she did wat 2 pull one leavin 2 payments some said HA God has buttered ur bread but knwing fully wel wia i work wich is a bank , i sent her anoda mail 2 pull d oda and she tanked me most much 4 informing her, only God knws wat wuld've happened if ve not sent a mail and she noticed it hersef after some months?

so my dear , if u want a clean record b4 or after service, keep ur hand straight and clean. U mite not knw d implication(s) of wat u've done maybe whn u try submittin cv after services 2 same coy whn u needed d jos most dats whn u will get d stock of ur life.

That's all i ve 2 say oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Gud luck galfriend!

1 Like

Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by deeja(m): 6:00pm On Aug 04, 2008
If it is your office acct then u had better return it.Don't even blink twice b4 u do.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by atwix(m): 7:01pm On Aug 04, 2008
have u checked with other corpers there wit u having the same issue as yours, if there is, dont stay put but report to ur head of department on the issue, dont be stupid about it, its between u, ur immediate oga and God.
if nobody is paid twice except u, then, talk to the md or some higher level managers especially those in the hr dept, telling them of your finding whether its a test or a mistake on the company's part.
becos it can either mar or make u if u not careful on ao u go about it.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by maileby(m): 7:17pm On Aug 04, 2008
@poster, pls return the money and inform them about the mistake. God bless u.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by Ekwere(m): 7:15am On Aug 05, 2008
Those that had advised you to keep the extras are not serious at all,like one of the contributors said,they are testing and trust me it is so. Eventually if you are employed in that same company,one day the external auditors would come around and discover that the money was paid you and you refused to do the right thing.
What do you think would happen to you? A stitch in time saves nine or even millions. The issue is return or refund(understand wey matter) the money. Igbo would say-gbam

1 Like

Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by Boslo: 8:45am On Aug 05, 2008
Raise an alarm fast.They mit be testing ur integrity.You mit spoil ur chance of being retained afta ur NYSC if u don't .and u said is an oil company.Money is not everything.Think of ur Future
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by topeorekoy(m): 11:57am On Aug 05, 2008
my take is that pls return the cash cos sooner or later a reconciliation will find out abt the cash. it has happened to me b4. i tot it was a blessing in disguise but 3 mths later the bank found out and removed the cash and that time, some1 sent some cash in2 my account and i really needed the cash but i was unable to withdraw cos they took their cash from me.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by fredie(f): 1:20pm On Aug 05, 2008
my dear,

disregard anyone that tells u to take what's not your own. Remeber Dora Akunyeli? Remember why she's still being celebrated? The choice is yours. The Bible says that "there is a way that seem right to men, but it leads to destruction" The The money is not yours, it will not make you a millonaire, instead it will leave a bitter taste in your mouth if you don't return it. Take my advice and do God and humanity proud of you. its well
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by SamMilla1(m): 1:24pm On Aug 05, 2008
let me advice you once and forall.
Run sofort and tell them what has been happening.
apologise depending on how they take the whole thing.
whether machine is making the mistake or not.
i hope you hope to get a job after the services.
they could become a major referee on your CV.
UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHING CLANDESTINE GOING ON BETWEEN YOU AND THE BOSS.
WHICH CAN OF COURSE TRIGGER THE MACHINE OVER PAYMENTS.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by JeSoul(f): 1:29pm On Aug 05, 2008
my dear follow the good advice most Nairalander's here have given you. The money is not yours and it is the right thing for you to return it. Not just for the sake of your own conscience but know that there is nuthin hidden under the sun, they could eventually realize the mistake and you will only ruin your name and reputation.

1 Like

Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by kizzymack(m): 1:37pm On Aug 05, 2008
hey, don't spend the money, return it - they might reward you. you're a corper man, they're so many ways that they can deal with you if they want. so, its not worth it. return the money and get retained.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by workingirl: 1:42pm On Aug 05, 2008
It it were Nysc, I might have a different answer or not but you should return it. God does not bless you in this sort of way. He's not into fraud.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by sharpman1(m): 1:50pm On Aug 05, 2008
If you work in my organization and i discover we've been overpaying you and you did not have the sense or integrity to report the error, then YOU ARE OUT!
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by ula(f): 1:57pm On Aug 05, 2008
sista,
return the money. honesty is the best policy. who knows ur honesty may be what God may use to turn your situation around.

remain blessed
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by kiwi992(m): 1:59pm On Aug 05, 2008
Mate,

My advice to you is simply to refund the over-payment.  It is the right thing to do at all times, without a doubt.  Please, don't see it as a blessing, rather, a temptation.  

I'll have to say that you left it a bit too late to do something about it, as it's been five months since you've been receiving it.  Still, I feel it's much better for you to act upon it now, rather than keeping quiet about it, in the hope that it won't be found out.    

Just remember that the money does not belong to you.  If you do decide to keep it, it could easily be construed as a fraudulent act - a black mark on your name and possibly future career, because you never know, this company might be called upon to give you a work/character reference.

All you need do is, have a quiet word with your boss, tell him or her that you only noticed it recently and that you wished to draw his/her attention to that fact, and to repay the money immediately to the company.

I strongly believe that such an action would go down in your favour - an honest and decent guy, to say the least.  That said, the decision is entirely yours - not mine or anybody's, so, please think about it carefully.

kiwi992.

1 Like

Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by ubest1(m): 2:19pm On Aug 05, 2008
my advice to u now is go out and open up with the company accoutant for you people to sort things out because if them later know by themself you will return all the money and it may even lead to ur sack, I have an xperience during my first salary I was over paid and I went to the accountant and sort it out amicably, and the over paid amount was taken back the next month.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by ubest1(m): 2:19pm On Aug 05, 2008
my advice to u now is go out and open up with the company accoutant for you people to sort things out because if them later know by themself you will return all the money and it may even lead to ur sack, I have an xperience during my first salary I was over paid and I went to the accountant and sort it out amicably, and the over paid amount was taken back the next month.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by PurestBoy(m): 2:41pm On Aug 05, 2008
If majority of Nigerians were this honest then why are we still tag "one of the most corrupt countries in the world"
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by faoni572(m): 2:41pm On Aug 05, 2008
People have spoken it all, since the morning is comming from your working place I would advise you to raise an alarm and let them know what is happening and probably return the money. If it is NYSC money you can take it because there are lots of corruption in any government establishments.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by ants(m): 2:45pm On Aug 05, 2008
i'm not asking u to keep the money or refund it but let me give u a typical example of what happened to me in my former place of work,
three months before i left them, my account was over-credited at month-end, though it was hard for me to alert then, i finally did two weeks after salary was paid.

The disadvantage of this was that the next month my salary was quarter of what it used to be,

But the advantage was that a day before i reported the accounts guys have discovered the error while carrying out a mini-review of the firms account, so the management thanked me for being honest and when they were paying me my benefits and salary when i left them they payed me 50% extra for been a honest staff,

so make up your mind

1 Like

Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by toyboy1(m): 2:52pm On Aug 05, 2008
You have no business touching the money in the first place.
Since it has been consistent, the the error should be from the salary schedule sent from your office, else the bank official posting this would not balance for thet period and would have been discovered by now. Or somehow, another compensating error would have made up for the difference not being discovered.
Alert the account/HR section of your company and equally the your bank. but before then, make sure you have all the cash (doubly credited) back in your salary account.
NYSC, Goverment or who ever it is that made such error, doesn't give you the te,merity to withdraw the money.
you should have raised an alarm in the first month you discovered such, cos if the bank discovers first (assuming the error is from them), your account will be thrown in tro debit for which the debit interest will be borne by you which is an additional cost.
if you consider this a blessing, then stealing from your employer or bank is equally a blessing too.
Cheers.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by Ezinwannem: 3:12pm On Aug 05, 2008
maybe its to test your trust. Return the money and let them know about the errors.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:33pm On Aug 05, 2008
PurestBoy:

If majority of Nigerians were this honest then why are we still tag "one of the most corrupt countries in the world"

because the majority don't do shit about it, majority of Nigerians are honest god fearing people,
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by mahatmaG: 3:53pm On Aug 05, 2008
My question is whether the the account is that of the oil company which you are attached to, or that of NYSC account.

The choice of keeping mute for the past months is a big risk. That you open up now is to confirm that your conscience has not settled yet.

For you to finally relieve your conscience, you know what is the right thing to do.

The choice is yours!

Either to remain silence and silently kill your conscience of to speak out and achieve a high profile. You still have the future to face.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CAPM/PMP Certification Exams / 6 Business & Career Growth Secrets I Learnt From Jonah & The Fish / 5 Ways To Combine Work And Studying Masters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.