Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) (13099 Views)

Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? / Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? / Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by superman(m): 11:08pm On Jun 20, 2006
well any ibo lady wey dey here london nigeria whereever holl Back make we go act our nollywood movie ooooo i dey serious talk now i no dey joke oooooooooo!!! no mind these foolish ppl ! they dey envy us oooooo ibo na juju ibo na 419 ! ibo too much for super eagles ibo love money! ibo man never wear gd clothes u rather eat bread and drink fanta haaa! he rather make sure he wife dress good but him, ! now see y we no dey world cup! ibo na spare parts!! ibo no dy united no fit rule naija until u fools understand dat nigeria need ibo spirit and sh!!!!!!!! t there is always gona be wahala!! any way lady holla i look fine jore !

inspite of all the jagajaga hausa and yuro ppl dey cause in politics in nigeria its looks like na ibo got the best standard of livin in dat country of coz wealth are evenly spread out rather than one stupid billionaire carry all the money like in other tribe !!

oh well once again ladys make una no mind dat ulgy boy AFENI !! holla im still waitin for real!! naija and ibo for life!!!
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by IAH(f): 11:11pm On Jun 20, 2006
Lol cheesy But the starter of this thread is Igbo. undecided So are the starters of many other 'Igbo this', 'Igbo that' threads. smiley
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Darkchild(m): 11:12pm On Jun 20, 2006
My People,

Its no fault of the Ibos if they control the Nigerian movie market. I guess their bizness acumen has helped them control the market and I believe they are more adventurous.

And like alot of people have said, who cares who controls it. If the Hausas, yorubas or for that matter any other tribe feel the pinch about the market, they should do something about it.

So long as a  movie is good, I believe thats what realy matters.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Shagari2(m): 11:47pm On Jun 20, 2006
Jews control hollywood, ibos control nollywood, who gives a toss, lets just have some f-ing good movies! smiley
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by babwilms(m): 12:05am On Jun 21, 2006
Igbo's do not control Nigeria movie industry, neither does Yoruba's or any other tribes. Yoruba's even produce more home videos than the English movies. So Igbo's stop getting happs. But the two main players are the Yoruba's and the Igbo's in Nollywod.

I think its right to say Igbo's dominates the Nigerian English home videos but not Nollywood as a whole.

Does it really matter? I honestly don't see the differences between all tribes for Nija. Just want to get on with everyone without beefing. We are the new generation, while all these differences.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by WesleyanA(f): 12:45am On Jun 21, 2006
most of the time when Igbos make movies, they're made in Pidgin English.
whereas Yoruba homevideos are in Yoruba Language.

so no. Igbos don't control Nollywood. no tribe does.
as a matter of fact, i think yorubas make more home videos (as Babwilms mentioned).

so let's just say Yoruba actors and actresses prefer to speak their language in movies.
You'll hardy see babasuwe or other yoruba stars in  english videos.

the videos are crappy anyways.  undecided (yoruba ones included)
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by superman(m): 1:06am On Jun 21, 2006
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
any way united nigeria we go
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by WesleyanA(f): 1:12am On Jun 21, 2006
superman
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by superman(m): 1:29am On Jun 21, 2006
Wesleya baby u get any better for me. wetin u dey yan
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by WesleyanA(f): 1:40am On Jun 21, 2006
lol
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Nobody: 1:50am On Jun 21, 2006
hot-angel:

KC glad your ass came online. Damn girl u mean. Yahoo im? WE NEED TO TALKA!

me im mean? okayyyyy whatever ur the one thats mean , youre nvr on yahoo though so uhh ill call
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Nobody: 1:50am On Jun 21, 2006
hey wessy
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by WesleyanA(f): 1:52am On Jun 21, 2006
hey KC!
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Nobody: 1:54am On Jun 21, 2006
wuddup what u up to
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by superman(m): 1:58am On Jun 21, 2006
Wesleya can i ask u wey u dey
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by babwilms(m): 1:58am On Jun 21, 2006
Can we get back to the topic please. Nairaland members are too fund of diverting away from topics.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Hotstepper(f): 1:59am On Jun 21, 2006
can you'll take this to YAHOO MESSENGER OR SOMETHING, lol
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by superman(m): 2:01am On Jun 21, 2006
why una dey evny me now hey hehehe every now and then una just dy yan i need this and need that i never say a word na my turn oga seun !! de don come ooo

the topic is na only ibo man fit fix up nigeria
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Nobody: 3:13am On Jun 21, 2006
whatever
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by superman(m): 3:23am On Jun 21, 2006
hmmmm k2dac think ur pic is nice ! is dat cheese meant for me baby
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Nobody: 3:29am On Jun 21, 2006
aww thanks , but hmmm maybe wink
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by gidig(m): 9:18am On Jun 21, 2006
I agree with the balance that has been alluded to so far by majority od the posters.The Nigerian film indutsry predated Nollywood and there are those who feel the the celluloid era dominated by Yorubas was more 'professional' than this era of all comers.Since 'Living in Bondage' was relased-which was in Igbo- the form of our films have changed and the men who invested heavily in that new form were the traders in Idumota and later Alaba. So, quite naturally, they will go for the people very close to them.There is noithing wrong in that and it is all part of the growing process.

The stage where we have not reached and which we need to get to is the evolution of a 'new tribe' of practitioners whose passion is not where they come from but how the films are made and the quality and content of every film.I speak of highly creative people,irrespective of where they come from.That will speak louder than the kinds of people who run the industry.

Non igbos may complain about the dominance of Igbos in the Nollywood business the way non-Yorubas complained then that it was only Ogunde and Co that were involved in the celluloid era film industry.

Let the film industry and watchers get their priorities right.Quality does not have a tribe!
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by saintchux(m): 10:43am On Jun 21, 2006
The reason why we are not developing is because we emphasise more on ethnicity. When I came to Lagos for my NYSC, I was rejected where I was posted because I do not know how to speak Yoruba. The man did not ask me what & what I can do.

It is disheartening that we are dragging ethnicity to a profession where what is needed is practical. I believe that if we allow those that can do the job to do it, this country will develop faster.

It is this ethnicity that brought quota system into education system. Someone that scored 200 from North will study medicine at University of Nigeria while a Easterner that scored 250 is denied becuase of quota. See how our education system is now. Look at politicians now, every ethinic group is demanding for presidency in 2007. We are not talking of who is going to perform, but which region is going to produce the next president. it is so unfortunate.

Why should an Igbo man be in a movie if he can not act, Just for Igbos to be represented abi? should Abdulahi be part of a movie or Olaniyi just for hausa or yoruba to represented.

Please let us come together and remove ethnicity from this country so that we can develop. Let me borrow from Pator Chris Okotie campaign. "Why are we asking for where he come from, let us talk of what he represent"
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by babwilms(m): 10:51am On Jun 21, 2006
@saitchux. Thank you very much. This division really needs to stop. We are the new generation of Nigeria.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Jachoz(m): 10:54am On Jun 21, 2006
@saitchux
I feel u man. The cancaworm (ethinicity) must be delt with immediately. God bless us.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by naijacutee(f): 6:02pm On Jun 21, 2006
What , do I smell tribalism?
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jun 21, 2006
but nollywood is classified as igbo ppl movie anyway no matter how u look at it undecided
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Jachoz(m): 7:36am On Jun 22, 2006
K2DaC:

but nollywood is classified as igbo people movie anyway no matter how u look at it undecided
By who
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by hayprof(m): 7:41pm On Jun 22, 2006
Igbos of course dey appear on almost every movie in nollywood!
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by babwilms(m): 7:46pm On Jun 22, 2006
@hayprof.
hayprof:

Igbos of course dey appear on almost every movie in nollywood!

No they dont. Not even upto half of what Nollywood produce monthly. I wonder what Nollywood you guys watch oo.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by superman(m): 9:08pm On Jun 22, 2006
why una de envy ibo people ! ibo ppl still love one nigeria abeg jore make una mind ur buizness
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by babwilms(m): 9:53pm On Jun 22, 2006
I love Igbo people, infact I wish to get married to one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

DOWNLOAD Anikulapo (2022) – Nollywood Yoruba Movie / Where Can I Download Prison Break / 'Between': Stella Damasus Premieres Her New Film At The Odeon Cinema

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.