Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,581 members, 7,816,431 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

Am I A Deist? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Am I A Deist? (2612 Views)

My Experience As A Deist / My Mum Is Threatening To Disown Me Because I Am A Deist / God’s Existence: The Deist Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I A Deist? by ManhunterTM(m): 11:10am On Dec 30, 2013
fredx4:

So you think hell fire won't be full? Or do you think all christians will go to heaven?
I hope to meet you there. Hope you know how to dance ''alanta'', I heard it's the reigning dance step in hell fire.
Re: Am I A Deist? by ManhunterTM(m): 11:11am On Dec 30, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
Let it be noted than I'am not a saint, neither am I perfect. I just happen to belong to the school-of-thought which said: If you don't know people's reasons, don't judge their decisions.

A life that is worth living is worth living well, this is the 21st century and I believe people who want to be good will be good, those who want to be bad will be bad, and no matter the amount of preaching you tell them, nothing is going to changed.

Everyone know what they're in for before they make a decision, they just don't know whether it's going to favour them or work against them. Those who do evil know that they're going to end up in hell, yet they prefer to continue living that lifestyle knowing that they're going to perish for enternty instead of suffering on earth.

That's their decision, and nobody can change that.
Doesn't that make you wonder what Jesus died for in the first place?
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 11:15am On Dec 30, 2013
fredx4:

So where are muslims and bhudists going to if they are not going to hell?

Or are you saying the spiritual world does not exist.
Of course the spiritual world do exist, our dreams alone should give us a hint about that, but it doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't believe in a particular religion would automatically go to hell. Christianity and Islam are both foreign religion, before christianity was brought to this part of the world our fore-fathers had their own religion but the white men had since brainwashed the minds of black people to believe that our own is evil, It is this same traditionalist that some pastors go to meet in order to collect supernatural powers.

Every religion have their own creation story and all its formalities, for example: Islam teaches about Paradise which I suppose is equivalent to Heaven. So stop having the impression that, all muslim will go to hell.
Re: Am I A Deist? by ManhunterTM(m): 11:19am On Dec 30, 2013
^^^ Dreams are controlled by your brain, nothing supernatural about it.
Re: Am I A Deist? by UyiIredia(m): 11:20am On Dec 30, 2013
@ skycraper: Great. I have been where you are. Actually, I percieve you are a lapsed Christian tending towards deism. Until you disbelieve core tenets of Christianity you aren't yet an apostate_ backslidden but not apostate (who rejects his religion). Note that, you can be an apostate yet appreciate aspects of the Bible, but in a manner very different from what mainstream Christians believe or could agree with (eg you might believe God is good, but hasn't set commandments for men to follow). That said, the deism you describe is classical deism and because it was the first and most prominent type of deism, many people think deists just believe God forsook the earth. That's misleading. There are lots of deists and types of deism: the crucial point to note is that deism (IMO) is generally definable as a belief in God outside religion. Spinoza, Einstein, Planck, Neil Armstrong, Voltaire, Thomas Paine etc were all deists some eg Planck more tolerant of religions than others eg Voltaire. I would advice you to follow and explore these links:
positive deism and a Christian deist's beliefs.
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 11:21am On Dec 30, 2013
Manhunter™:
Hahaha, hell fire go full be that. Even some hypocritical Christians go join for hell fire. Heaven's population would be Jesus, his father, a few Christians and some angels. Why God come even bother to create so many people?
We were meant to understand that heaven/hell are spiritual worlds, well, since earth despite its magnitude and encompases can never be full, then neither shall heaven nor hell would either.

Many are called, few are chosen. Not everyone will make it when they trumpet sounds. Rapture will come like a thief in the night.
Re: Am I A Deist? by ManhunterTM(m): 11:24am On Dec 30, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
We were meant to understand that heaven/hell are spiritual worlds, well, since earth despite its magnitude and encompases can never be full, then neither shall heaven nor hell would either.

Many are called, few are chosen. Not everyone will make it when they trumpet sounds. Rapture will come like a thief in the night.
Bro, you are no deist.
Re: Am I A Deist? by Ranchhoddas: 11:27am On Dec 30, 2013
fredx4:

Worry about yourself. Do you think they are automatically in heaven?
do you think they are automatically in hell?
Re: Am I A Deist? by UyiIredia(m): 11:27am On Dec 30, 2013
Manhunter™:
Bro, you are no deist.

That's almost true but not yet. There are Christian deists with an eccentric mix of Christian and deist beliefs.
Re: Am I A Deist? by ManhunterTM(m): 11:29am On Dec 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

That's almost true but not yet. There are Christian deists with an eccentric mix of Christian and deist beliefs.
A Christian deist wouldn't believe in the divinity of Christ and I'm sure that is not the case here.
Re: Am I A Deist? by UyiIredia(m): 11:39am On Dec 30, 2013
Manhunter™:
A Christian deist wouldn't believe in the divinity of Christ and I'm sure that is not the case here.

No. A Christian deist can. In fact, I think Thomas Jeffereson accepted the divinity of Christ, feel free to check this. Newton is said to be Christian but it is said he had unorthodox views, enough so Wikipedia places him as a deist. In fact, when deism first came into prominence, Christian deists abounded who believed in heaven or hell whilst dismissing Genesis or Revelations.

1 Like

Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 11:39am On Dec 30, 2013
fredx4:

Christianity is not all about cramming scriptures. The bible said "the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life". Being able to quote scriptures, is different from understanding them. If your muslim friend truelly understands the bible, then she would have converted to christianity. Fellowshipping with other believers helps to strengthen your faith and help you grow spiritually. It also gives you the opportunity to work in the vineyard of God.
Understanding certain religions doesn't mean you have to convert, like i earlier stated: People go to school and study other religion beside their personal religion. They need to know the rudiment of what they're studying for knowledge sake and also to pass the course, It doesn't mean they have to change their own religion.

If I was a philosophy student, Irrespective of what my lectures said to convince and confuse me into believing that God doesn't exist will never make we change my faith. Yes, I could write them for exam purpose but it would only ends there.

Are you aware that some people believe in more then one religion, does that mean they're also going to hell?
Re: Am I A Deist? by ManhunterTM(m): 11:43am On Dec 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

No. A Christian deist can. In fact, I think Thomas Jeffereson accepted the divinity of Christ, feel free to check this. Newton is said to be Christian but it is said he had unorthodox views, enough so Wikipedia places him as a deist. In fact, when deism first came into prominence, Christian deists abounded who believed in heaven or hell whilst dismissing Genesis or Revelations.
I don't know much about deism bro so I might just have to agree with you.
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 11:53am On Dec 30, 2013
Manhunter™:
Doesn't that make you wonder what Jesus died for in the first place?
Jesus christ died for our salvation so we could be free, but like a comedian said: Christianity is free but you have to buy bible. God will only help those who help themselves, one does not live a promiscuous life, kill people, commit evil and expect to make heaven. Maybe in next life, that's if there is any.
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 12:03pm On Dec 30, 2013
Manhunter™:
^^^ Dreams are controlled by your brain, nothing supernatural about it.
I'm not trying to sound supersticious here but I don't want to agree that our dreams are just a reflection of what we think or feel before going to bed, it definately has an handwriting behind it.

One of the ways God talks to people is through our dreams, and sometimes I've heard of people saying they have spiritual wife/husband. Which means that some forces have a way of manipulating our mind and controlling our dreams, I've also heard of certain situation when you see someone in the dream and people will say they're not real but somebody else impersonating the person they saw.

Have you never had a dream before where you saw yourself in a place and with people you have never met before in life? Last time I checked, the brain can only re-enact what you feed it, which means it is incapable of creating mysterious beings and places. So, do you still think our dreams are not supernatural?
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 12:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia: @ skycraper: Great. I have been where you are. Actually, I percieve you are a lapsed Christian tending towards deism. Until you disbelieve core tenets of Christianity you aren't yet an apostate_ backslidden but not apostate (who rejects his religion). Note that, you can be an apostate yet appreciate aspects of the Bible, but in a manner very different from what mainstream Christians believe or could agree with (eg you might believe God is good, but hasn't set commandments for men to follow). That said, the deism you describe is classical deism and because it was the first and most prominent type of deism, many people think deists just believe God forsook the earth. That's misleading. There are lots of deists and types of deism: the crucial point to note is that deism (IMO) is generally definable as a belief in God outside religion. Spinoza, Einstein, Planck, Neil Armstrong, Voltaire, Thomas Paine etc were all deists some eg Planck more tolerant of religions than others eg Voltaire. I would advice you to follow and explore these links:
positive deism and a Christian deist's beliefs.
Links bookmarked. Thanks alot.
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 12:07pm On Dec 30, 2013
Manhunter™:
Bro, you are no deist.
Why did you say so?
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 12:12pm On Dec 30, 2013
Manhunter™:
Well, I believe in God, I believe in the christian creation story, I belive in the divinity of christ, I believe in heaven and hell, but I don't believe in the doctrins practised by some christians. Even if I used to, well, not anymore.
Re: Am I A Deist? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
I agree with your point to a great extent but it still boils down to going to church. Hypocrisy in the church was one the things Men of God preached against in the bible, so when the pastor and other ministers of a church do not live according to what they preach, then what is now the fate of a member? Isn't it the same as not going to church in the first place?

Personally, I won't mind going to church to showcase my dress, to chyke babes or to have fun in general but in the end I'll be fooling myself becaues none of these would help me after-death.

Christianity has gone to the dogs. These days everyone is a pastor, four different people who came to work in my dad's house were claiming to be pastors and they didn't even have a church. One was a carpenter, another was a tiles-man, another was a bricklayer and the last was a painter. This got me wondering, Did God actually called these people?

I'm not even talking about popular pastors buying private jets and exotic cars with offerings. To defend paying of offering and tithes, they'll say the bible said: Give to Ceaser what belonged to Ceaser but the bible didn't made mention of Money.

The other day, there was a thread on frontpage where a lady complained that the wife of her pastor asked her not to address her husband as 'pastor' but 'daddy.' It find it quite funny becaues I can't call my pastor daddy when he is not my father. I could totally relate to her story because most people worship their pastors instead of thier God, one of those people happens to be my mother.

There is a particular church she usually goes apart from the ones my family members attend, she always call the pastor 'daddy' and she is older than him. When anybody has a problem and comes across my mom she'll just suggest they go to that church to see "DADDY" and then there problem will be over.

She also called her jobless brother, my uncle who has been searching for a job to come all the way from Ibadan to come see "DADDY" and he'll definately have a job. It's sometimes annoying because she always says it with a tone of finality, and my uncle is not the only person my mom has taken to that church.

These whole thing is ringing in my head and It's driving me crazy, I refused to be dogmatic and I refused to be gullible.

I'm a christian but I don't like going to church.
ah didnt want to respond to dis at first buh on a second tout ah tink ah should,firstly wat is a church,a church as ma bible tells me is d body of christ,wen u re alone in ur rum,studyin n prayin dat's a church,wen it's 2 or 3 of u together dat's also a church n wen it's the whole world 2gether it's also a church, so ah want to firstly correct dat ur statement,ah tink u should just say ah dont lyk goin to a temple,probably 4rm dere u will get to see d usefulness of brethren gatherin together,if it wasn't important jesus would never have made mention of it
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 1:29pm On Dec 30, 2013
^ I don't like going to church is not the main issue here, the issue is that, I don't concour with the doctrines of the people who lead the church because they're hypocrite and do not act according to what they preach.
Re: Am I A Deist? by ManhunterTM(m): 11:11pm On Dec 30, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
Jesus christ died for our salvation so we could be free, but like a comedian said: Christianity is free but you have to buy bible. God will only help those who help themselves, one does not live a promiscuous life, kill people, commit evil and expect to make heaven. Maybe in next life, that's if there is any.
You still haven't answered the question. What exactly did Jesus' death accomplish?
Re: Am I A Deist? by ManhunterTM(m): 11:22pm On Dec 30, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
I'm not trying to sound supersticious here but I don't want to agree that our dreams are just a reflection of what we think or feel before going to bed, it definately has an handwriting behind it.
Handwriting ba wo?

One of the ways God talks to people is through our dreams, and sometimes I've heard of people saying they have spiritual wife/husband. Which means that some forces have a way of manipulating our mind and controlling our dreams, I've also heard of certain situation when you see someone in the dream and people will say they're not real but somebody else impersonating the person they saw.
It's all in your head!!

Have you never had a dream before where you saw yourself in a place and with people you have never met before in life?
Yes, I've had such dreams, they are the most exciting ones. I find myself in a beautiful place and I meet sexy ''chikalas'' that I have never met before in real life and we have the time of our lives. I know it's my brain trying to compensate me after the ''evil'' thoughts I had before sleeping.
Last time I checked, the brain can only re-enact what you feed it, which means it is incapable of creating mysterious beings and places. So, do you still think our dreams are not supernatural?
Aaah, but you do err lacking proper knowledge of scriptures, the brain can surely create mysterious beings and places. Mine does it all the time.
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 7:44am On Dec 31, 2013
Manhunter™:
You still haven't answered the question. What exactly did Jesus' death accomplish?
Rhetorical question
Re: Am I A Deist? by ManhunterTM(m): 7:56am On Dec 31, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
Rhetorical question
Jesus died to save us from our sins right? why do Christians still struggle with sin?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Questioning The Implausibilities 3 (original Sin) / Are Ooo(olumba Olumba Obu) Followers Being Ostracised Wrongly? / Nigerian Christianity A Hopeless Cause ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.