Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,859 members, 7,838,076 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest (6438 Views)

Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 / Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Nobody: 5:46am On Aug 19, 2008
Nigeria is so embarrassing when it comes to track n field.
Why register for the Olympic if you're not ready? The country is making a joke of itself embarassed embarassed
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Nobody: 5:57am On Aug 19, 2008
hurray Segun Toriola wins the table tennis preliminary round.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Akolawole(m): 7:34am On Aug 19, 2008
@Doctor

See David just dey hear of Toriola.

If we mention Bose Kaffo or Iyabo Akanmu on NL now, it would sound somehow.

Thank God, Bose is now a Masters degree holder kiss
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Fadajasi(m): 9:37am On Aug 19, 2008
Wow
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by iice(f): 9:41am On Aug 19, 2008
Didn't watch the table tennis.
So it's a heat and a preliminary round, we don manage.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 11:43am On Aug 19, 2008
Men's Singles Preliminary Round

Nigeria's TORIOLA Segun versus United States' ZHUANG Dav at 14:30 today.

Toriola is 44 and Nigeria still has no replacement(s)
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 1:35pm On Aug 19, 2008
Beijing 2008 Olympic Games 100 metres flop, Olusoji Fasuba, has warned that the country could record a poorer showing at the London 2012 Olympics if there is no proper planning for success.

Olusoji Fasuba

The African record holder was favoured to lead the country to a respectable outing in men‘s 100m on Saturday but he surprisingly crashed out in the quarterfinals

Speaking with Brila FM on Monday, Fasuba said that he had decided to sound the warning because of the situation the national team had found itself in Beijing.

He said, “I don’t have any other excuse for what has happened in Beijing than to say it all boils down to how you handle preparations. The way things are, we may be heading for failure at the next games if preparation is handled haphazardly again.

“Other countries began preparations for this Olympics four years ago. In fact, I know some countries will begin preparation for the 2012 Olympics immediately after this one. But Nigeria always wait until the last minute to prepare for competitions.”

Although Fasuba would not blame anyone for his poor showing, he recalled that he was injured before the games.

He said, “The injury actually weighed me down, but I don‘t like making excuses. I was injured, but I don’t want to give that as an excuse. It is just for me to work harder.

“I now know that it is a different ball game running at the Olympics and running on the circuit or the championships. I now know that I have to prepare very well next time.”
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by DrKitaun(m): 1:47pm On Aug 19, 2008
Let Soji Fasuba shut his mouth up !!! why cant these people just go press-shy ?

they put up shambolic performances and go on spraying bunkum from their mouths shocked TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED !!!

the same Soji Fasuba almost held the nation to ransome all in the name of winning Gold at the Olympics . . . .NOW THAT HE HAS WON, CAN WE RETIRE USAIN BOLT grin

@Akolawole

no blame David, na only Bolt and Nadal hin sabi grin how hin go sabi Atanda Musa or Bankole ? grin
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by MrCrackles(m): 1:49pm On Aug 19, 2008
Mustay:

Men's Singles Preliminary Round

Nigeria's TORIOLA Segun versus United States' ZHUANG Dav at 14:30 today.

Toriola is 44 and Nigeria still has no replacement(s)

dang!!!
so the dude is 44?!

bless him!
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 3:13pm On Aug 19, 2008
Fasuba and even Toriola said they expected not so much in the games.

Moreover, na dis fasuba demand for 1 milla if Nigeria know say dem want gold
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by iice(f): 8:39am On Aug 20, 2008
Yikes, didn't really see anything from naija on the track and field side.
All the action is now on the green.

Are we still in the table tennis? Or we've been thrown out?

And why is he saying he doesnt want to make excuses but goes around and still makes some excuses undecided
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 8:51am On Aug 20, 2008
Nigeria wins first medal
By Adekunle Salami, Beijing
Published: Wednesday, 20 Aug 2008

Nigeria has been guaranteed at least a silver medal after the Under-23 team thumped Belgium 4-1 in Shanghai on Tuesday to reach the Olympic men‘s football final for the first time since winning the tournament at the Atlanta ‘96 Games.

The country will now meet Argentina in the final on Saturday at 5am Nigerian time, while Belgium meets Brazil for the bronze medal match. Argentina defeated Brazil 3-0 to set up a final clash with Nigeria.

Hoffenheim striker Chinedu Ogbuke scored twice in the second half after Olubayo Adefemi had given coach Samson Siasia‘s team an early lead.

Chibuzor Okonkwo completed the rout while Victor Anichebe sidefooted wide with the goal at his mercy for arguably the worst miss of the competition.

Belgium, who surprisingly defeated Italy in the quarterfinals, was on equal terms for the first hour but then fell apart.

The Nigerian players, publicly criticised by Siasia for lack of discipline earlier in the tournament, went ahead in the 17th minute when Okonkwo’s shot hit a defender and fell nicely into the path of Adefemi who stroked the ball home from 12 metres.

Solomon Okoronkwo wasted another chance when he broke clear of the Belgian defence but shot across the face of goal.

Then Osaze Odemwingie turned the ball wide after Chinedu Ogbuke slipped past his marker with some clever stepovers.

Belgium made a lively start to the second half with Faris Haroun blasting the ball against the crossbar and Tom De Mul forcing Ambrose Vanzekin to make a difficult save in successive attacks.

Nigeria increased its lead in the 59th minute when substitute Anichebe rolled the ball into the penalty area and Ogbuke slipped the offside trap to sidefoot home.

Long-range goals from Ogbuke and Okonkwo doubled the tally in the last 20 minutes before substitute Laurent Ciman rifled a late consolation for Belgium.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by iice(f): 8:53am On Aug 20, 2008
Yey, guaranteed is good cheesy
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 8:56am On Aug 20, 2008
iice:

Yikes, didn't really see anything from naija on the track and field side.
All the action is now on the green.

Are we still in the table tennis? Or we've been thrown out?

And why is he saying he doesnt want to make excuses but goes around and still makes some excuses undecided

Segun Toriola won his match beating David Zhuang of the U.S. 4-3 in a hard-fought game at the same venue minutes after[b] Merotohun’s defeat[/b].

He won 8-11, 11-8, 2-11, 11-6, 9-11, 11-7, 11-8 in the match that lasted 46 minutes. He will meet Egypt‘s Ahmed Ali in round one.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Fadajasi(m): 8:58am On Aug 20, 2008
Nigeria: no medal yet.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 9:05am On Aug 20, 2008
iice:

Yey, guaranteed is good cheesy

but it has not been won na.

It's A SHAME.

When I saw that, I thought it was another sport sad
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by iice(f): 9:35am On Aug 20, 2008
Ok cool, we are still in.

Mustay:

but it has not been won na.

It's A SHAME.

When I saw that, I thought it was another sport sad

If guaranteed a silver, the only thing we have to worry about is them not settling for a silver and going for the gold.

I was watching the high jumps yesterday, i felt so bad for Holm but holy smokes!! Andrey Silnov shocked shocked
Practically cleared the whole thing, except for the last jump
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 9:39am On Aug 20, 2008
It's no surprise why most Nigerians see the soccer event as another world cup tongue
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by iice(f): 10:11am On Aug 20, 2008
Yes na, 96 is a long time ago.
But am not putting all my eggs in one basket.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 10:47am On Aug 20, 2008
Which other basket can we steal from?

Toriola?

Relay?
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by iice(f): 11:03am On Aug 20, 2008
rofl, abeg no kill me grin grin grin
Half the eggs to the football basket, the rest will be cooking on the stove for eating.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 11:08am On Aug 20, 2008
How I wish the football gold will equal 18 medals grin

It would be such a massive sweep that even Britain will be behind us.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by iice(f): 11:20am On Aug 20, 2008
lmfao, aswerigad that was exactly what a friend was telling me yesterday. cheesy

not only that, but we'll have 18 gold!! more that most countries - if only tongue
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by mukina2: 4:19pm On Aug 20, 2008
Laydee . .

i don watch sotay i tire sef grin

i get 59 medals nows
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by folahann(m): 4:29pm On Aug 20, 2008
I beg when did Olympics start giving medals was watching tongue

When i saw the story i thought Nigeria had already won a medal angry
guaranteed my foot, until we play and beat Argentina grin
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by iice(f): 4:43pm On Aug 20, 2008
Laydee, i been dey watch taekwando earlier on ooo.
Gave me ideas. I go like practice my ax kick on top some people grin grin

guaranteed is good as getting a medal, maybe not the one we want but we will still have one.
Hopefully we will get the one we want cheesy
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by mukina2: 7:59pm On Aug 20, 2008
Fola sharrap tongue
i won medals cool

Laydee
i dey try sha . i dey watch lots . swimming marathon 10km, handball, water polo, , beach volley men, volleyball, taekwondo and ofcourse all the track and field events grin . . Bolts tongue
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 11:23pm On Aug 20, 2008
Thank Goodness Segun Toriola is the first African to get into the round of 32. He defeated Jean-Michel Saive of Belgium today. Saive is 39 in November and hopes he'll still have the 'power' to play at 41. Them no tell am say Segun na 44?
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 1:14pm On Aug 21, 2008
Toriola was kicked out this morning
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by mukina2: 8:10pm On Aug 21, 2008
Afghanistan wins bronze in taekwondo shocked grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by folahann(m): 10:20pm On Aug 21, 2008
are you sure there was no special bomb that did the job for them?
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by dayokanu(m): 10:47pm On Aug 21, 2008
That Fasuba should shut his stinking mouth na to dey go on top paper to make noise dem sabi.

When at Ife he no dey gree us rest na to dey sport center all day.

The guy is simply not good enuff. What preparation did Ajunwa have before 1996 gold. Did people know that Ajunwa was once an Atlete. 100meters defeated Mary Onyali at Mobil trials before she tested positive to drugs, She later joined the falcons and went to china 1991 world cup after the ban, she went back to Sprint and in Atlanta ahe won Gold in Long jump.

Most Nigerian officials did not even know that she was registered for the event as she went alone.

Naija sports is terrible. The same set of people have been playing table tennis for 20 years. I have know Funke Oshinaike, Bose Kaffo, Monday Merontoun Segun Toriola and Kazzem Nasiru for close to 10 years now. After the days of Yomi Bankole ans Atanda Musa.

Gone were those days when Table tennis was played everywhere in Yoruba land even on benches and pavement. Na yahoo yahoo boys dey do now nobody get time for Sports. Pathetic!!!!
Nowadays

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

C N N :: Third Nigerian Fails Commonwealth Games Drugs Test / I Bet Many People Didn't See This During The Nigeria Vs Argentina Match / Mesut Ozil Vs Paul Pogba ( Who Is Better???)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.