Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,983 members, 7,852,314 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 03:57 PM

Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest (6451 Views)

Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 / Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by romeo(m): 6:51pm On Aug 11, 2008
lol
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by A40(m): 9:33pm On Aug 11, 2008
Dwight Howard,Kobe Bryant,Chris Paul,Lebron James,Jason Kidd,Michael Redd and not forgetting Dwyane Wade all in the same team i cant wait to watch those guys i would be disappointed if they dont pick Basketball gold

As for boxing i dont understand their scoring systems loads of dodgy calls for sure.Phelps seems to be kicking ass in the Swimming event damn there are too many events to follow
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by mukina2: 10:02pm On Aug 11, 2008
iice:

Yes! six more medals for my man kiss kiss

Loved the butterfly stroke!! The best do it the way it should be grin cheesy grin

China ooo, slow down on the gold na tongue

Muki, i watched the weightlifting for women oooo - lawdy, see thigh and back muscles grin

me dear . .i was supporting France in the freestyle swimming but USA clinched it at the last min grin grin

I didnt watch weight lifting today , I watched Judo grin and canoe abi na kayak grin grin

i'll catch up later

but i have won 10 gold medals cool
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by iice(f): 6:41am On Aug 12, 2008
aswerigad mehnnn but am happy for leisel abi na liesel jones.

I watch part of archery ooo, and what's the one where the Indian won his first gold medal? hehehehe

Wake up jor, who dash you 10gold? tongue grin
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 8:55am On Aug 12, 2008
onyinye2:

@Mustay
So Nigeria won by default, oh well. Come back to me when they win a medal on their own.

Nah!

They won by not using drugs tongue`
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 10:07am On Aug 12, 2008
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by iice(f): 4:09pm On Aug 12, 2008
3 down, 5 to go cheesy cheesy
Bakale, i was impressed.

Angola/US- not much surprise there
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by A40(m): 5:35pm On Aug 12, 2008
That Phelps dude is on steroids ooh!! How many gold medals does he want to win sef?
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 6:15pm On Aug 12, 2008
Na 9 the guy wan win but I seriously doubt that.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by mukina2: 9:32pm On Aug 12, 2008
Laydee kiss kiss

I won 10 jo cool make that 16 grin

i watched lots oh tongue
Archery, shooting, kayaking grin,judo, weightlifting, diving shocked did u watch that? swimming, football  grin, water polo (men)USA/Italy and USA won, Volley ball (USA/Italy) they won too ,  tongue beach volley, Badminton,fencing, Boxing oh .  them wan kill the south african grin grin and the french boy grin Botswana win their own cool na me teach am . .i watch Equestrian . i nor understand  the score o grin

Angola/USA , the Angolans tried but they got me angry jo grin instead of them of shoot from outside,  because they had little chances they want to near basket grin and those Americans na winch tongue
The game was very good i enjoyed it.

I watched parts of Greece/Germany. Greece won
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by tommyex(m): 9:40pm On Aug 12, 2008
Oh Oh
Mukina u ll tell me what else you have been doing oooo,
Actually i wish i could watch as much too, been tryin 2 see d hilites of our women this evenin sef
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Fadajasi(m): 11:20pm On Aug 12, 2008
Brass! We are not taking from this olympics
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by mukina2: 11:50pm On Aug 12, 2008
tommyex:

Oh Oh
Mukina u ll tell me what else you have been doing oooo,
Actually i wish i could watch as much too, been tryin 2 see d hilites of our women this evenin sef

i have been watching a lot na grin

its fun really . keeps me awake by fox grin

Togo wins bronze is Kayak shocked shocked but the guy is french sha grin grin
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by iice(f): 4:13am On Aug 13, 2008
Laydee u watch plenty oo shocked shocked
I only was interested in the swimming and yes the diving - love it, like dolphins grin grin

4, down 4 to go for my main man cheesy
I nor see the kayaking ooo, sad
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by hollandis(f): 9:40am On Aug 13, 2008
iice:

I only was interested in the swimming and yes the diving - love it, like dolphins grin grin

Are you that patient?I cant sit down and watch other funny competition that evennigeria will not participate in.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by mukina2: 12:02pm On Aug 13, 2008
iice:

Yes na grin grin
I watched swimming again tongue and football Cameroun/Italy angry the ref needs to be shot grin and the guy that missed the penalty needs to be whipped grin

Zimbabwe get 3 silver all from swimming that coventry girl grin

I wonder what my own land will win grin grin
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by ayusco: 12:33pm On Aug 13, 2008
Men r we sure this Michael Phelps guy is human? shocked shocked shocked 5 golds all in record breaking times, and still counting gosh

coolnice one dream teamIV
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by mukina2: 12:45pm On Aug 13, 2008
The guy na merman grin grin
am not surprised jo grin grin
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 8:57am On Aug 14, 2008
The murray [i]brovas [/i]are out of the men's tennis!

This is getting so sweet cool
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by MrCrackles(m): 8:59am On Aug 14, 2008
Mustay:

The murray [i]brovas [/i]are out of the men's tennis!

This is getting so sweet cool

their exit-lack of enthusiasm and dis-interest! grin
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 9:13am On Aug 14, 2008
grin grin grin

Nigerian boxer sent packing

Nigeria continued its unimpressive showing in the boxing event of the ongoing 29th Olympiad on Wednesday as Olanrewaju Durodola was disgraced in the men’s 91kg heavyweight bout.

The Nigerian[size=18pt] failed to score a single point throughout the four rounds that the encounter lasted.[/size] Cuba’s Duarte Acosta was the deadly opponent who maintained a clean sheet to win the bout at the Workers Gymnasium.

The Cuban won the first three rounds 4-0, 3-0 and 4-0 before the final round ended 0-0.

Coach Obisia Nwankpa, regretted that the boxer lost that way.

He admitted that the country was 10 years behind in the sport.

“There is a lot of difference between both boxers and it was just one sided. There was a difference in reactions and the mind. We still have two boxers left and so we have hope,” he said.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 9:21am On Aug 14, 2008

(L-R) Ricky Berens, Ryan Lochte and Michael Phelps  Phish of the United States shout encouragement to Peter Vanderkaay
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by MrCrackles(m): 9:25am On Aug 14, 2008
Mustay:

grin grin grin

Nigerian boxer sent packing

Nigeria continued its unimpressive showing in the boxing event of the ongoing 29th Olympiad on Wednesday as Olanrewaju Durodola was disgraced in the men’s 91kg heavyweight bout.

The Nigerian[size=18pt] failed to score a single point throughout the four rounds that the encounter lasted.[/size] Cuba’s Duarte Acosta was the deadly opponent who maintained a clean sheet to win the bout at the Workers Gymnasium.

The Cuban won the first three rounds 4-0, 3-0 and 4-0 before the final round ended 0-0.

Coach Obisia Nwankpa, regretted that the boxer lost that way.

He admitted that the country was 10 years behind in the sport.

“There is a lot of difference between both boxers and it was just one sided. There was a difference in reactions and the mind. We still have two boxers left and so we have hope,” he said.

chei, yawa!

the guy might have been better off boxing handicapped people at rowe park, yaba!
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 9:27am On Aug 14, 2008
Nigeria is years back in boxing - chei!
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by iice(f): 9:57am On Aug 14, 2008
hollandis:

Are you that patient?I can't sit down and watch other funny competition that evennigeria will not participate in.

Then they should keep praying for a medal rofl. Nigerians need to spread themselves out. If you no win for this sport you get chance win for another sport. The odds go improved.

And all these things i watch i prefer to what the 'general' population likes cheesy cheesy

Why am i not surprised @ boxing?
I wanted to watch it, but am tired of seeing boxing boxing. After the izobo one, mehnn i didnt have hope. But seriously? Not even a single point? Thats terribly embarrassing sheesssh

Finally to my main man kiss kiss Keep rocking, faster, swifter and better. Swim baby swim!! grin grin

@muki, yes ooo am happy for zimbabwe, them manage get 3 silver. We nefa get even one bronze rofl ahahaha. Keep hoping loff, maybe one paper go happen grin grin grin abeg keep me updated, i gas go to monks this weekend kiss
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by hollandis(f): 10:20am On Aug 14, 2008
iice:

Then they should keep praying for a medal rofl. Nigerians need to spread themselves out. If you no win for this sport you get chance win for another sport. The odds go improved.

And all these things i watch i prefer to what the 'general' population likes cheesy cheesy

Why am i not surprised @ boxing?
I wanted to watch it, but am tired of seeing boxing boxing. After the izobo one, mehnn i didnt have hope. But seriously? Not even a single point? Thats terribly embarrassing sheesssh

Finally to my main man kiss kiss Keep rocking, faster, swifter and better. Swim baby swim!! grin grin

@muki, yes ooo am happy for zimbabwe, them manage get 3 silver. We nefa get even one bronze rofl ahahaha. Keep hoping loff, maybe one paper go happen grin grin grin abeg keep me updated, i gas go to monks this weekend kiss

The Cubans are so extraordinarily good, the way they keep their spacing between themselves and their opponents, the way they're always turning,like they have no appendages They fight with resilence. They punch in 2 maybe 3 second windows.Like someone said”if you want to break the world record (100m athletics),then make 6 gigantic steps in one second ……………,"
Most successful boxing countries are coached by the Cubans,even the USA.Nigeria expect to win a gold and they take along with them one old man(who calls himself a coach) and expect to win.LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

For example Sam Vincent is the most successful basketball coach to have ever come from Nigeria,the irony is “he is an American”.Nigeria was very successful in that Olympics(Athens),save from few exceptions(that had to do with not bbeing together for a long time),they would have gone all out,and might have eventually won a medal.

I don’t expect any medal fom ngeria except in football(that too is becoming increasingly difficult)

As for the phelp guy,let’s hope ,he doesn’t become another “marion jones”
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by iice(f): 10:56am On Aug 14, 2008
Cool for the cubans. So how good are we even? In boxing that is.

Athens? The track and field? If it's not football, its track and field. What other source of medals do we have? And i mean sports that had serious time, effort and money put into it?

Abegiii i hope not ooo @ phelps. No spoil my day ooo tongue
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Akolawole(m): 12:23pm On Aug 14, 2008
Who says Nigeria is years back?

We just have problem that i cannot figure out.

We may not have won gold in Olympic boxing history but we USED to have impressive record.

Peter konyegwachie had won Silver some years ago.

In those days, Nwakpa(the Coach),Jerry Okorodudu, David Dafiagbon have very well.

We just need to develop other easier sports in this country.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Mustay(m): 12:40pm On Aug 14, 2008
Thank God you used "we used to"

Akolawole:

Who says Nigeria is years back?
[url=http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/sports/article02//indexn2_html?pdate=140808&ptitle=Nigerian%20boxers%2010%20years%20behind,%20says%20Nwankpa]CHIEF coach of Team Nigeria's boxing team, Obisia Nwankpa[/url], yesterday blamed the country's poor run in the boxing event of the ongoing Olympic Games on lack of competition and international exposure.

"Nigeria is 10 years behind," he began. "A boxer is not good unless he is like somebody who goes to church every Sunday. You can see the difference in the reaction. We need to do something radical to catch up with the rest of the world.

"But I have not lost hope of winning medals in this Games, I am still hopeful because we have two other boxers who can do well in the championship."

To Cuba's Osmai Acosta Duarte, who beat Nigeria's Olarewaju Durodola yesterday, "there is so much pressure in the Olympics. I was a little nervous before the bout, but I knew I was well prepared because my coach gave me the confidence.

"The future looks good for boxing in Cuba. We have a very good school. We are not only strong in the Olympics, but there are many great boxers in Cuba as well, who were rated high in competitions before they came here."
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by A40(m): 4:00pm On Aug 14, 2008
It was really shameful how can an amateur boxer get knocked down 3 times one only wonders what would happen if he didnt have a helmet maybe he would just drop dead.Pitiful

I think we need to expand our scope of sports see how Dream Team dey battle for one gold when Michael Phelps has picked about 5 it doesnt even make sense
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by mukina2: 9:55pm On Aug 14, 2008
Laydee cry them wan kill the Gambian boxer for me grin

i wonder why both homes carry boxer go cry grin and two athletes grin

chei!! one of them will be running in the heat soon grin make  the Americans nor disgrace him for me o angry grin

Yay!! France has two gold medals tongue swimming  latest one . .

i watched basketball yesterday oh

Mali- USA female lipsrsealed grin Afrrrrrrikaaa we need to wake up sad we can do sports too na tongue

you watch  weightlifting? where that guy break his arm shocked cry

did you see the Nigerian? grin the guy short oh tongue

i have 17 gold medals now cool
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics - Boxing & The Rest by Akolawole(m): 12:13am On Aug 15, 2008
@Mustafa

## Dont mind Nwakpa,

## Dont forget the peak of Cuban boxers is the olympic, they cannot be professionals in boxing by virtue of their system of government.

###People are wasted away in Africa.

Somebody like Mukinat should be able to do gymnastic easily.

###We should do eassier sports

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

AYC: South Africa(2) Vs Nigeria(1) On Thursday 22nd January / I Bet Many People Didn't See This During The Nigeria Vs Argentina Match / Mesut Ozil Vs Paul Pogba ( Who Is Better???)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.