Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform (1977 Views)

Are Roman Catholics Christians? / A Thread For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Enigma(m): 9:26pm On Dec 31, 2013
EDIT: this thread has its genesis here https://www.nairaland.com/1575747/sooooo-what-reaaaally-religious-intolerance#20588843

The purpose of this thread is not to "bash" wink Roman Catholics or to engage in "Religious Intolerance: insulting Catholics"! cheesy Rather it is to help our Roman Catholic friends, relatives etc to reform some of their more controversial doctrines and practices and to pray for them. smiley

I start with this example; it is actually an important example because it focuses upon the fundamental issue of salvation.

Whereas as outlined by the Roman Catholic "pope" Boniface VIII, Roman Catholic teaching is that people must submit to the Roman Catholic "pope" before they can achieve salvation, we will be helping our Roman Catholic friends to point out that Jesus said that salvation is to be found only in Him!

Compare for example wink

Roman Catholic Church

“We declare, state, define and pronounce that it is altogether necessary to salvation for every human creature to be subject to the Roman pontiff. (‘Pope’ Boniface VIII, Unam Sanctam; statement made ex cathedra, thus ‘infallibly’!)

Versus

Jesus Christ

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

It is hardly worth pointing out that "pope" Boniface VIII should not be compared to Jesus Christ even if Boniface was a saintly person. Worse, "pope" Boniface was far from a saintly person. He is believed to have forced or manipulated the previous "pope" to resign. What is more he soon imprisoned that previous "pope" who died 10 years later in the incarceration at the age of 81! This same Boniface is the one reputed to have said that to commit adultery or to sleep with young boys is no more a sin than rubbing one's hands!

Prayer point: that our Roman Catholic friends may realise that Christians should follow Jesus rather than people like "pope" Boniface.

cool

4 Likes

Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Nobody: 9:32pm On Dec 31, 2013
Lol. I sense a holy war here.
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Enigma(m): 9:35pm On Dec 31, 2013
Our Roman Catholic friends say that the Virgin Mary is "co-mediatrix" and "co-redemptrix"! sad

Perhaps they mean well; perhaps they are just misguided; perhaps something else ...........................

Anyway, we know that the Bible says the following (among others):

1 Timothy 2:5

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus"

Hebrews 9:15
"For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant."

Prayer point: pray that our Roman Catholic friends will come to a true understanding that the Bible says that Jesus Christ is the only redeemer and the only mediator.

grin

1 Like

Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Enigma(m): 9:36pm On Dec 31, 2013
OK, abeg we fit continue later or anyone else interested fit continue.

Make I fess go jollificate new yam, erm new year celebrations small! cheesy

cool
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Enigma(m): 9:38pm On Dec 31, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. I sense a holy war here.

Bros, make we try for no fight war today o! Make we try for spread the lurrrrrrrve! wink

grin
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by bluerange(f): 9:56pm On Dec 31, 2013
@OP, am a Catholic and l wish you well on your quest as l run my race exploring the earth with Heaven on my mind.

7 Likes

Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Joshthefirst(m): 1:07am On Jan 01, 2014
Following and praying too.

Love post number 2
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Nobody: 1:33am On Jan 01, 2014
Enigma: EDIT: this thread has its genesis here https://www.nairaland.com/1575747/sooooo-what-reaaaally-religious-intolerance#20588843

The purpose of this thread is not to "bash" wink Roman Catholics or to engage in "Religious Intolerance: insulting Catholics"! cheesy Rather it is to help our Roman Catholic friends, relatives etc to reform some of their more controversial doctrines and practices and to pray for them. smiley

I start with this example; it is actually an important example because it focuses upon the fundamental issue of salvation.

Whereas as outlined by the Roman Catholic "pope" Boniface VIII, Roman Catholic teaching is that people must submit to the Roman Catholic "pope" before they can achieve salvation, we will be helping our Roman Catholic friends to point out that Jesus said that salvation is to be found only in Him!

Compare for example wink

Roman Catholic Church

“We declare, state, define and pronounce that it is altogether necessary to salvation for every human creature to be subject to the Roman pontiff. (‘Pope’ Boniface VIII, Unam Sanctam; statement made ex cathedra, thus ‘infallibly’!)

Versus

Jesus Christ

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

It is hardly worth pointing out that "pope" Boniface VIII should not be compared to Jesus Christ even if Boniface was a saintly person. Worse, "pope" Boniface was far from a saintly person. He is believed to have forced or manipulated the previous "pope" to resign. What is more he soon imprisoned that previous "pope" who died 10 years later in the incarceration at the age of 81! This same Boniface is the one reputed to have said that to commit adultery or to sleep with young boys is no more a sin than rubbing one's hands!

Prayer point: that our Roman Catholic friends may realise that Christians should follow Jesus rather than people like "pope" Boniface.

cool

This is a prayer for poster to tell us his/her church which is the gateway to heaven so we can start from there.
This post is not intended to bash the poster but to pray for him to have the boldness to mention his church here.

Prayer point: That poster will lay aside all shame and name his church so we can join the church that will take all of us to heaven.

grin

There are other ways to look for members for any business church than to keep running up and down nl (like a puppy) creating all kinds of threads on catholic church most of which are plain silly,advertises your ignorance in public and attracts judgement on yourself by making yourself God's chief judge

Let's meet on the last day my dear.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Nobody: 7:14am On Jan 01, 2014
Enigma:

Bros, make we try for no fight war today o! Make we try for spread the lurrrrrrrve! wink

grin
Then you go wear bullet proof vest be that. It is happening already.
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by POPEII: 7:17am On Jan 01, 2014
Where is the moderator to close this thread? Who is this one to say Catholicism must b reformed? Is it not an attack to the holy church?
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by truthislight: 7:33am On Jan 01, 2014
POPE II: Where is the moderator to close this thread? Who is this one to say Catholicism must b reformed? Is it not an attack to the holy church?

What is wrong with the thread ?

He is making use of the bible to point out what he feels is not consistent with the stand of Rcc and what is writen, if you feel he is on the wrong, the riight thing to do is to correct him. No ?

What then is the use of the scriptures if not to correct and to teach ?

Why are we on NL if not to learn and all thread you dont like is to be closed ?

@ Pope11

Is the Mod Mynd an RCC member or rather, do you 'think' he is an RCC member ?

With the way you guys are going with him, you are making us to wonder if!

cool
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Mynd44: 7:36am On Jan 01, 2014
**watching**

1 Like

Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by roqchiq(f): 8:16am On Jan 01, 2014
@truthislight......which bible is he using? The one the Roman Catholic church gave the world? Abi there's another one?

Everytime you want to attack the Catholic Church you dig out the bible, why not use the koran or another holy book not compiled by the same church? Stop deceiving yourselves, the scriptures written by the prophets of old were compiled into what is known as the bible by the church. Do you actually believe that only 66 books were written? Those were the books you accepted, the catholic bible has more. And yet even more were not included, and still more are being discovered.

How many of the rites of the old testament do you practise, including passover which even our Lord Jesus Christ himself, practised. You people are beginning to sound like the pharisees and saducees, yapping about stuff you do not understand, and quoting scriptures you cannot begin to fathom.

I will refer you to ''the gospel of james'', sorry it's not in the bible, google it and read. There are many other such books, educate yourselves, find out the origin of your ''bible'', ask why some books were included and others were not. If you really want to liberate a people, find out the roots of their beliefs. Learn from, The whites that carted away your idols, and left you floundering and grasping desperately at the offered panache, whose roots you couldn't ascertain, and you are still floundering, thats why you jump from church to church to mosque to shrine.

Find a place and settle firmly, every being has a place. I have found mine in the Catholic Church, i will say my 'hail marys' without fear of ridicule, i'll say my 'our fathers' without fear of castigation, i will seek the intercessions of ''saints'' who are alive in Christ, i will welcome the 'holy spirit' as per the example of 'mary', least i flounder. Or you can go to judaism(no offence intended please) and await your saviour!

6 Likes

Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Nobody: 8:25am On Jan 01, 2014
truthislight:

What is wrong with the thread ?

He is making use of the bible to point out what he feels is not consistent with the stand of Rcc and what is writen, if you feel he is on the wrong, the riight thing to do is to correct him. No ?

What then is the use of the scriptures if not to correct and to teach ?

Why are we on NL if not to learn and all thread you dont like is to be closed ?

@ Pope11

Is the Mod Mynd an RCC member or rather, do you 'think' he is an RCC member ?

With the way you guys are going with him, you are making us to wonder if!

cool

What is this one saying?
I MUST COMMENT. SMH
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Ajibam: 8:29am On Jan 01, 2014
nice one bro grin grin grin

James 5:19
My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back,
cool

we shall pray and fast for them,, they needs healing cry
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Ajibam: 8:33am On Jan 01, 2014
roqchiq: @truthislight......which bible is he using? The one the Roman Catholic church gave the world? Abi there's another one?

Everytime you want to attack the Catholic Church you dig out the bible, why not use the koran or another holy book not compiled by the same church? Stop deceiving yourselves, the scriptures written by the prophets of old were compiled into what is known as the bible by the church. Do you actually believe that only 66 books were written? Those were the books you accepted, the catholic bible has more. And yet even more were not included, and still more are being discovered.

How many of the rites of the old testament do you practise, including passover which even our Lord Jesus Christ himself, practised. You people are beginning to sound like the pharisees and saducees, yapping about stuff you do not understand, and quoting scriptures you cannot begin to fathom.

I will refer you to ''the gospel of james'', sorry it's not in the bible, google it and read. There are many other such books, educate yourselves, find out the origin of your ''bible'', ask why some books were included and others were not. If you really want to liberate a people, find out the roots of their beliefs. Learn from, The whites that carted away your idols, and left you floundering and grasping desperately at the offered panache, whose roots you couldn't ascertain, and you are still floundering, thats why you jump from church to church to mosque to shrine.

Find a place and settle firmly, every being has a place. I have found mine in the Catholic Church, i will say my 'hail marys' without fear of ridicule, i'll say my 'our fathers' without fear of castigation, i will seek the intercessions of ''saints'' who are alive in Christ, i will welcome the 'holy spirit' as per the example of 'mary', least i flounder. Or you can go to judaism(no offence intended please) and await your saviour!

JESUS LOVES YOU8)

Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Nobody: 8:37am On Jan 01, 2014
Ajibam: nice one bro grin grin grin

James 5:19
My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back,
cool

we shall pray and fast for them,, they needs healing cry

I think your grammar needs more healing.
Which church do you attend so we can follow your truth?

Thanks
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Ajibam: 8:43am On Jan 01, 2014
Kamsy10:

I think your grammar needs more healing.
Which church do you attend so we can follow your truth?

Thanks

really?
just help me to lay hands on it and don't recite incantations ooo..

my church
i will think about it and tell you...
i want to concentrate on the prayer for now..
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Nobody: 8:44am On Jan 01, 2014
POPE II: Where is the moderator to close this thread? Who is this one to say Catholicism must b reformed? Is it not an attack to the holy church?
Isn't it funny how they'll rant and rant on nl about Catholic Church but as soon as you ask which church they attend, everybody goes mute?
Is it that bad? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 01, 2014
Ajibam:

really?
just help me to lay hands on it and don't recite incantations ooo..

my church
i will think about it and tell you...
i want to concentrate on the prayer for now..

I knew u wont be proud to say it
Read my comment above this your reply. Lmao cheesy cheesy
You just made my day

You're not the only one. Even op has gone mute since I asked the same question.
Am waiting...
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Ajibam: 8:54am On Jan 01, 2014
Kamsy10:

I knew u wont be proud to say it
Read my comment above this your reply. Lmao cheesy cheesy
You just made my day

i don't take churches like you catholic do,,
my own concern is my personal relationship with God...
thank God am not ashamed of the gospel or my Jesus...
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Nobody: 8:56am On Jan 01, 2014
Ajibam:

i don't take churches like you catholic do,,
my own concern is my personal relationship with God...
thank God am not ashamed of the gospel or my Jesus...

Answer the question abeg
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Ajibam: 8:56am On Jan 01, 2014
FrancisTony: LOL. They just deleted my post. Truth is bitter for protestants.
maybe your post is not sensible cry
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Ajibam: 8:59am On Jan 01, 2014
Kamsy10:

Answer the question abeg

okay... my last post about your wahala...

christ apostolic church...

established on God's truth and Jesus the corner stone.. we pray in the name of Jesus and not dead people and a woman,
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by adsonstone: 9:09am On Jan 01, 2014
These roman catholics and their usual false claim of 'we gave the world the bible'.

--We gave you the bible, why bash us with it?-- (actual meaning)

.and when one says the truth and there is no hiding place/lies to put foward, they just ask that 'what is the name of your church?'....and when a reply is given and there's no criticism, they just 'shy' away in ignorance.

Well, as for me, I will not stop praying for the Roman Catholics.
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Ajibam: 9:14am On Jan 01, 2014
adsonstone: These roman catholics and their usual false claim of 'we gave the world the bible'.

.and when one says the truth and there is no hiding place/lies to put foward, they just ask that 'what is the name of your church?'....and when a reply is given and there's no criticism, they just 'shy' away in ignorance.

I or We??
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Nobody: 9:17am On Jan 01, 2014
Ajibam:

okay... my last post about your wahala...

christ apostolic church...

established on God's truth and Jesus the corner stone.. we pray in the name of Jesus and not dead people and a woman,

I think your church needs more prayer. No wonder Jesus said he without sin should cast the first stone.
Here:
http://www.modernghana.com/movie/5423/3/how-pastor-abiaras-daughter-ruined-12-years-old-ma.html
Your G.O's daughter took someone else's husband? And the G.O wedded them?

Please confirm this story before I post another.

Instead of praying for your church,you want to pray for Catholic Church abi?

My friend attends CAC and I didn't know about some of the things I'm reading about the church now but thanks for the eye opener
This is not to bash the church but to help you channel your prayers appropriately.
Thanks

4 Likes

Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Mynd44: 9:23am On Jan 01, 2014
You people are so petty
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by Nobody: 9:28am On Jan 01, 2014
adsonstone: These roman catholics and their usual false claim of 'we gave the world the bible'.

Which church do you attend?
Hope it won't be too heavy for you to mention(from my experience,most have abandoned their own threads cos of this question)
Am waiting....

Thanks
Re: A Thread To Pray For Roman Catholics And To Help Them To Reform by adsonstone: 9:30am On Jan 01, 2014

Q: should the Rcc be reformed?

A: Yes!

Why?
Compare these.

Holy Spirit (in the Bible): There is one mediator....the man Christ Jesus.

RCC: Mary is co-mediatrix, Christians are mediators.

Holy Spirit: Christ Died for us....to redeem us.

RCC: Paul suffered for man's redemption....completing Christ's suffering for redemption, Mary is co-redeemer.
POPE II:
Who is this one to say Catholicism must b reformed?

Who are the(se) Roman Catholics to speak contrary to the Holy Spirit?

Yes, the RCC needs to be reformed- to agree with the Holy Spirit.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does Jesus Have 23 Chromosomes? / Slaves Who Love Their Chains / Happy Birthday To God Almighty His Holiness Olumba Olumba Obu The King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.