Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,570 members, 7,820,050 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time (33371 Views)

Flop Musicians Of 2014 / Top 1o Richest Musicians Of All Time / Top Ten Rappers Of All Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Nobody: 12:11am On Jan 04, 2014
We all listen to music, we love music, it lifts our spirit when we are down, we sing along even when we have horrible voices, it keeps our company and I would rather listen to music than to hang out with a boring person.

For this reason I have decided to come up with my best 10 musicians of all time. This Musicians cut across different decades and genres of music as my music sense is eclectic.

Your comments, contributions and criticism would be highly welcomed.

10. Don Moen
9. Tu Face
8. Celine Dion
7. Eminem
6. Dolly Parton
5.Kenny Rogers
4. Whitney Houston
3. Carlos Santana
2. Phill Collins
1. Michael Jackson

10. Don Moen: The only gospel artist on the list. I sleep and wake up with Don Moen inspiring songs. You automatically get connected to the Holy Spirit and I can remember faaaar back as 1993 whenever we are going to church. Pupsy was always playing his song and how I use to spoil his song by saying "let the weak say I am strong and let the strong say I am weak" instead of "Let the weak say I am strong, let the poor say I am rich"

Don Moen is an American singer-songwriter, pastor, and producer of Christian worship music. He produced 11 volumes for the Hosanna! Music series of worship albums. His first album under his own name, Worship with Don Moen, was released in 1992. His music has total global sales of over five million units.

Moen is also a prolific songwriter, having worked with Claire Cloninger, Paul Overstreet, Martin J. Nystrom, Randy Rothwell, Ron Kenoly, Bob Fitts, Debbye Graafsma, Paul Baloche, Tom Brooks, among many others.

9. 2face: The only Nigerian on the list our dear Tuface Innocent Idibia, is a Nigerian singer, songwriter and record producer. He is also variously called 2face, Tuface, 2Baba or Tubaba. He is one of the most decorated and successful hip pop artists in Africa. He is consistently ranked as one the best African musicians of all-time.

We all know the way African Queen swept us off our feet. He was one of the revolutionaries in the Nigerian music sector. 2Face has received one MTV Europe Music Award, one World Music Award, five Headies Awards (Hip-hop award), four Channel O Music Video Awards and one BET award for his musical work, four MTV Africa Music Awards, one MOBO award, one KORA award, and numerous additional nominations.

8. Celine Dion: Ohhhh how can we ever forget our dear Dion. As a kid, I thought she was a spirit. The voice is soooo damnnn flawless. Born in Quebec Canada, Dion first gained international recognition in the 1980s by winning both the 1982 Yamaha World Popular Song Festival and the 1988 Eurovision Song Contest where she represented Switzerland.

During the 1990s, with the help of Angélil, she achieved worldwide fame after signing with Epic Records and releasing several English albums along with additional French albums, becoming one of the most successful artists in pop music history.

Dion has won five Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year for Falling Into You and Record of the Year for "My Heart Will Go On". She is the best-selling Canadian artist of all time, In 2004, after surpassing 175 million in album sales worldwide, she was presented with the Chopard Diamond Award at the World Music Awards for becoming the best-selling female artist of all time. According to Sony Music Entertainment, Dion has sold over 220 million albums worldwide.

7. Eminem: This was really a difficult pick/selection. Over the years I av listened to a lot of Rappers, Jay Z or Kanye West would come to the lips of so many, Infact the almighty 2Pac might probably be expected or the Lyrical Notorious BIG. But to be fair to you all, when it comes to lyrics that I have memorized and would always rap along, it's that of my dear Eminem. Better known by his stage name Eminem and by his alter ego Slim Shady, is an American rapper, record producer, songwriter, and actor. Eminem is one of the world's best-selling music artists and is the best-selling artist of the 2000s. He has been listed and ranked as one of the greatest artists of all time by many magazines, including Rolling Stone magazine which ranked him 82nd on its list of The 100 Greatest Artists of All Time. The same magazine declared him The King of Hip Hop. His worldwide albums sales stand at more than 115 million, singles 120 million, and the estimated sale of over 220 million records worldwide. Eminem won Grammy Awards for both Relapse and Recovery, giving him a total of 13 Grammys in his career.

His Originality Is out of this world Abeg give it to the only rapper on this list!!!

6. Dolly Parton: Yes another country musician, an American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, actress, author, and philanthropist, best known for her work in country music. If you listen to her sing you might think you made it to heaven.
Beginning her career as a child performer, Parton issued a few modestly successful singles from 1959 through the mid-1960s, showcasing her distinctive soprano voice. Listing her immediately after Kenny Rogers ain't a mistake. Just listen to their 1983 duet "Islands on the stream" and come back to thank me.

She has composed over 3,000 songs, the best known of which include "I Will Always Love You" (a two-time U.S. country chart-topper for Parton, as well as an international pop hit for Whitney Houston), "Jolene", "Coat of Many Colors","9 to 5", and "My Tennessee Mountain Home".
She has received eight Grammy Awards (including her 2011 Lifetime Achievement Grammy) and a total of 46 Grammy Award nominations, the most nominations of any female artist in the history of the prestigious awards, a record tied by Beyoncé.

5. Kenny Rogers: This is my list and nothing but my opinion before you all say who the heck is "Kenny Roger" infact as I dey mention en name, my belle they sweet me die!!!

Yes I love country music, infact you might wanna cry if you listen to some country music lyrics, I feel they have the greatest job, cuz you just can't but make sense. You are talking in a calculated manner.. This Texas king of music was born on August 21, 1938. An American singer-songwriter, photographer, record producer, actor, entrepreneur and author, and member of the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Though he has been most successful with country audiences, he has charted more than 120 hit singles across various music genres, topped the country and pop album charts for more than 200 individual weeks in the United States alone and has sold over 130 million records worldwide, making him one of the highest-selling artists of all time. He has received numerous such awards as the AMAs, Grammys, ACMs and CMAs, as well as a lifetime achievement award for a career spanning six decades in 2003.

4. Whitney Houston : Can I hear that shout!!! Our beloved queen of pop was an American recording artist, singer, actress, producer, and model. In 2009, the Guinness World Records cited her as the most awarded female act of all time. Houston was one of the world's best-selling music artists, having sold over 200 million records worldwide. Houston is the only artist to chart seven consecutive No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 hits. She is the second artist behind Elton John and the only woman to have two number-one Billboard 200 Album awards (formerly "Top Pop Album"wink on the Billboard magazine year-end charts. Houston's 1985 debut album Whitney Houston became the best-selling debut album by a woman at the time of its release. Our queen is just out of this world when it comes to her vocal prowess.

3. Carlos Santana : To tell you the honest truth in the most humble way, I can't just tell you why I love him. He uses the guitar in a way that even it's inventor would wonder if some of the tunes could ever be produced. He's a Mexican and American who became famous in the late 1960's and early 1970's. He has won 10 Grammy Awards and three Latin Grammy Awards.

2. Phil Collins : OmG this guy is simply out of this world, an English musician, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, actor and writer, best known both as drummer and vocalist for English rock group Genesis and as a solo artist. His solo career, which was launched in 1981 and was heavily influenced by his personal life and soul music, brought both himself and Genesis greater commercial success. Collins's total worldwide sales as a solo artist are 150 million. Collins has won numerous music awards throughout his career, including seven Grammy Awards, six Brit Awards—winning Best British Male three times, three American Music Awards, an Academy Award, two Golden Globe Awards and a Disney Legend Award in 2002 for his solo work. In 2008, Collins was ranked the 22nd most successful artist on the "The Billboard Hot 100 Top All-Time Artists".
God, Allah, and Yahweh.. I can't listen to him with my eyes opened.

1. Michael Jackson..: I need not introduce him to you, the name Michael would forever ring a Bell to the Living or Dead, especially if you lived between 1980-2009.. Jackson is recognized as the most successful entertainer of all time by Guinness World Records. His contributions to music, dance, and fashion, along with his publicized personal life, made him a global figure in popular culture for over four decades.
Jackson 1982 Album is the best selling album of all time. Jackson is one of the few artists to have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice. He was also inducted into the Dance Hall of Fame as the first and only dancer from pop and rock music. Some of his other achievements include multiple Guinness World Records; 13 Grammy Awards as well as the Grammy Legend Award and the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award; 26 American Music Awards, more than any other artist, including the "Artist of the Century" and "Artist of the 1980s". He's definitely My Greatest, at some point as a kid, I referred to him as my Father. R.I.P Dad!!!

Oya, Nairalanders. . .over to you. Post your top 10 musicians of all times and lets discuss

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by waleadex(m): 12:50am On Jan 04, 2014
And where's R.Kelly?

15 Likes

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Pricelesss(f): 11:09am On Jan 04, 2014
What about Lil Wayne, Beyonce, R.Kelly, Wiz Kid. I don't quite agree with your list. Though MJ and Houston deserve a place on the list.
Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by 2kass(m): 11:13am On Jan 04, 2014
Jay Z over Eminem, Celine Dion shouldn't be on the list, Who the Heck is Carlos Santana and Dolly Parton. Where's Awilo who rocked Naija streets with Makossa for years, where's our own PSquare, I would pick Dbanj over 6 peeps out of the list. Arrant Nonsense.

4 Likes

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by koligs: 11:26am On Jan 04, 2014
Hehehehe, Mods frontpage. Hardly do you send stuffs from the section to the frontpage.

Well my own list,

1. Konga
2. Azaadus
3. Those Danfo drivers Guyz (Madalon MC I fink)
4. Tonto Dike
5. Vic O (Please and Pls search for him on YouTube)
6. Bembe Aladisa (The dude dat sang Ewa fu mi ni visa)

I myt complete the list later. Shina Rambo and Genevieve Nnaji on da mind..

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Pdizzle(m): 11:53am On Jan 04, 2014
Thanks for welcoming criticism, music is an art and art depicts life but with this list i think music to you is all about a sonorous voice, grammy awards and record sales. Listing best musicians in the world, for me i think it should cut across all genres, the only artisti wilk include there is Micheal j. all other are good they might be ther if we talking about top 100. I bet you haven't really listened to bob marley, ive got like 104 of his tracks, dude interprets life with his music better than anyone on that list, rkelly should be on that list, and when i comes to rap 2pac is the only rapper worthy, biggy shouda been but be aint got enough songs, coming down to Nigeria, next time you are making a world list and you want to put anyone from 9ja let it be Ebenezer obey or King sunny Ade, tuface ko phase two ni. Don moen can hold that gospel down for sure.
Honorable mentions:
Fela:The last prophet,too much energy on stage,philosophical, educating the black man and always in touch with reality
Modenine: Probably the most underrated human that ever lived, he'll be on my list of top ten rappers of all times .
lionel richie:Knows how to melt the soul,next to mj

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Pdizzle(m): 12:13pm On Jan 04, 2014
Pricelesss: What about Lil Wayne, Beyonce, R.Kelly, Wiz Kid. I don't quite agree with your list. Though MJ and Houston deserve a place on the list.
wizkid, lil Wayne.. Are you for real

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jan 04, 2014
Pdizzle: Thanks for welcoming criticism, music is an art and art depicts life but with this list i think music to you is all about a sonorous voice, grammy awards and record sales. Listing best musicians in the world, for me i think it should cut across all genres, the only artisti wilk include there is Micheal j. all other are good they might be ther if we talking about top 100. I bet you haven't really listened to bob marley, ive got like 104 of his tracks, dude interprets life with his music better than anyone on that list, rkelly should be on that list, and when i comes to rap 2pac is the only rapper worthy, biggy shouda been but be aint got enough songs, coming down to Nigeria, next time you are making a world list and you want to put anyone from 9ja let it be Ebenezer obey or King sunny Ade, tuface ko phase two ni. Don moen can hold that gospel down for sure.
Thanks for your criticism/comments, but the same Bob Marley that promotes drugs?? Yes he's great but do the young old and middle age group accept him? And as for KSA and Ebenezer obey being an acceptable choices for Naija, I don't think so. We need to remember that Naija cut across so many tribal groups, and selecting from a particular tribe would call for a lot of noise (why not someone who speaks the generally acceptable lingi "Pigin n English)

2 Likes

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 04, 2014
koligs: Hehehehe, Mods frontpage. Hardly do you send stuffs from the section to the frontpage.

Well my own list,

1. Konga
2. Azaadus
3. Those Danfo drivers Guyz (Madalon MC I fink)
4. Tonto Dike
5. Vic O (Please and Pls search for him on YouTube)
6. Bembe Aladisa (The dude dat sang Ewa fu mi ni visa)

I myt complete the list later. Shina Rambo and Genevieve Nnaji on da mind..
Lmaoooo Humor!!! cheesy
Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jan 04, 2014
Pricelesss: What about Lil Wayne, Beyonce, R.Kelly, Wiz Kid. I don't quite agree with your list. Though MJ and Houston deserve a place on the list.
From your views, I would like to believe that you are still very young.

2kass: Jay Z over Eminem, Celine Dion shouldn't be on the list, Who the Heck is Carlos Santana and Dolly Parton. Where's Awilo who rocked Naija streets with Makossa for years, where's our own PSquare, I would pick Dbanj over 6 peeps out of the list. Arrant Nonsense.
2kass: Jay Z over Eminem, Celine Dion shouldn't be on the list, Who the Heck is Carlos Santana and Dolly Parton. Where's Awilo who rocked Naija streets with Makossa for years, where's our own PSquare, I would pick Dbanj over 6 peeps out of the list. Arrant Nonsense.
lol At Makossa or Awilo being on the list, his he internationally recognized..? I can't even remember 2 out of his music anymore

2 Likes

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Pdizzle(m): 6:36pm On Jan 04, 2014
Ijogz K: Thanks for your criticism/comments, but the same Bob Marley that promotes drugs?? Yes he's great but do the young old and middle age group accept him? And as for KSA and Ebenezer obey being an acceptable choices for Naija, I don't think so. We need to remember that Naija cut across so many tribal groups, and selecting from a particular tribe would call for a lot of noise (why not someone who speaks the generally acceptable lingi "Pigin n English)
Bob is a rastaman, and for him ganja is a sacrament, he didn't tell anyone to take drugs, and half even more than, the people on your list take drugs even more dangerous than ganja, if you love knowledge u gotta live bob, hez so widely accepted his last album sold 30million in America alone and its still selling, as for naija-im not being tribal, nooone come close to those two, compariw tuface to those two is a crime

11 Likes

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Peterwizzy: 12:30am On Jan 05, 2014
i agree with the list a kind of
Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by 2kass(m): 9:06am On Jan 06, 2014
Why is this stuff not on Frontpage yet, Why is it that the Mods from this section are so inactive. Does the OP have to edit it and include Tonto Dike name in it..

It's actually doesn't make sense

1 Like

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Tolux17: 10:19am On Jan 06, 2014
The list is okay....
Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jan 08, 2014
Tolux17: The list is okay....
Thanks Bro.. I really dunno Y the Moderators in this section are asleep..
Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jan 08, 2014

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jan 08, 2014
My top ten, not in order of listing.

1. Mariah Carey
2. Coldplay
3. Tupac
4. Kenny Rogers
5. Bob Marley.
6. Enya
7. Michael Jackson
8. Whitney Houston.
9. John Lennon.
10. R. Kelly.
I would ve liked to sneak legendary Fela Kuti into my list. But aaaaaarggh!!

7 Likes

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Gabrielsylar(m): 10:38pm On Jan 08, 2014
this list has no correlation...the ops mind is twisted.....don Moen and tufeases.....oga ooooo.....don Moen featuring Eminem...lol
Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Egbagirl(f): 10:39pm On Jan 08, 2014
I want to do "I too know" small. grin grin

OP, there is a difference between musician and artist. lipsrsealed
Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jan 08, 2014
Lil Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!! shocked... Even wizkid grin, lmao, you're kidding right?
Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by jnrbayano(m): 10:39pm On Jan 08, 2014
10. Rosemary Chukwu
9. Morrocco Nwa Maduka
8. Dr Dre
7. Ras Kimono
6. Chakademus & Pliers duo
5. Shabba Ranks
4. Mariah Carey
3. Eminem
2. Snoop Dogg
1. Michael Jackson

Strong List grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Samanther(m): 10:40pm On Jan 08, 2014
lmaooo
Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 08, 2014
2kass: JCeline Dion shouldn't be on the list, Who the Heck is Carlos Santana and Dolly Parton. Where's Awilo who rocked Naija streets with Makossa for years, where's our own PSquare, I would pick Dbanj over 6 peeps out of the list. Arrant Nonsense.
Obviously, u know nothing about music. U dont know Dolly Parton and Carlos Santana?? Funny enough, u think Dbanj deserves to be on the list of all time greats and not Celine Dion. Joker......hahahahaha

6 Likes

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by omotenah(f): 10:41pm On Jan 08, 2014
no words

1 Like

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 08, 2014
In no particular order - the all time greats I can listen to all day.

- Tupac Amaru Shakur.
- Nas.
- Michael Jackson.
- Lauryn Hill.
- Fela.
- John Lennon.
- Mariah Carey.
- Whitney Houston.
- Bob Marley.

Honourable mentions:

- R. Kelly
- The Game.
- Ja Rule (old school Ja).
- Wu Tang.
- Ice Cube.
- Scarface.
- City High.
- Curtis Mayfield.
- Sade.

Shalom! cool

15 Likes

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by nickz(m): 10:43pm On Jan 08, 2014
Tu-pac
R.kelly(anything he has done after I heard 'trapped in the closet' has been perfect to me)
Maroon 5
James Blunt
Chris brown
2face
Sytlplus
Rihana
M.J
Lionel richie
P.diddy

3 Likes

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jan 08, 2014
Darn!! Throw DMX and Tamia there!!

1 Like

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Codedrock(m): 10:44pm On Jan 08, 2014
This is funny: cos the writter of this post only wrote this according to his thinking and favourite singers. The title should be a Nairalander's musicians of all time

1 Like

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Egbagirl(f): 10:44pm On Jan 08, 2014
shymexx: In no particular order - the all time greats I can listen to all day.

- Tupac Amaru Shakur.
- Nas.
- Michael Jackson.
- Lauryn Hill.
- Fela.

- John Lennon.
- Mariah Carey.
- Whitney Houston.
- Bob Marley.

Honourable mentions:

- R. Kelly
- The Game.
- Ja Rule (old school Ja).
- Wu Tang.
- Ice Cube.
- Scarface.
- City High.
- Curtis Mayfield.
- Sade.

Shalom! cool

your head is there

4 Likes

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by santos247(m): 10:44pm On Jan 08, 2014
Fuji Sandoka
Baba Fryo-Dem go dey pose
Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by alaoeri: 10:45pm On Jan 08, 2014
2pac
BIG
EMINEM
BOB MARLEY
FELA
HARUNA ISHOLA
BRENDA FASSI
MICHAEL JACKSON
AYINLA OMOWURA
FATAI ROLLING DOLLAR

4 Likes

Re: Your Top 10 Musicians Of All Time by Cutesthunk(m): 10:46pm On Jan 08, 2014
1. Cutesthunk
2. Kari Jobe
3. Chidinma
4. Kefee
5.Darlene Zsech
6. Sinach
7. Frank Edwards
8. Jahdiel
9. Celine Dion
10. Sis Oluchi

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Portable Releases New Song Criticizing Apostle Suleman For Using Bulletproof Car / Music : Bro Collins Ononuju - Look To You / Where Can I Get To Download Dr. Sikiru Ayinde Barrister, Reality Mp3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.