Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,275 members, 7,957,700 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:46 PM

What Is The Right Age For A Child To Start School? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Right Age For A Child To Start School? (5794 Views)

Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / Right Age To Get Married As A Guy! / What Is The Right Age To Start School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Right Age For A Child To Start School? by babake2020: 12:55am On Jan 04, 2014
Happy new year Nairalanders.

Let me get straight to the point. I've got a child who's a little over 14 months. The child has been attending creche since four months because and I my wife work. My child acts older than his peers and most parents have suggested I register with some form of preschool as early as 18 months. My wife seems to be positively disposed to an early start but I'm a bit cautious because I think it's too early and may be stressful for the child besides the creche provides a fun learning environment albeit informal.

I need advise from experienced parents
Re: What Is The Right Age For A Child To Start School? by Nobody: 1:02am On Jan 04, 2014
My kids start Kg1 by 15months.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age For A Child To Start School? by Tallotti: 1:08am On Jan 04, 2014
What do you mean by school for a 14 month old?

Preschool age na 3 and 4 years o! shocked PRESCHOOL MEANS POTTY-TRAINED! kiss

Chai!!! NLanders nor dey take shame exaggerate sha!

HABA!!!! cheesy

At least from 2 and a half years. . . when the child can talk properly!!! wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcULdAqUtKI

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age For A Child To Start School? by riceye: 2:23am On Jan 04, 2014
All i can say is, @ d long run, sometimes its not in these children's best interest when we rush em to do things in life all bc of what pple say or what will pple say. Lobatan
Re: What Is The Right Age For A Child To Start School? by greatgod2012(f): 4:27am On Jan 04, 2014
My dear, well done, you and your wife's efforts will not be in vain, and ours too.
I will suggest that since the creche provides fun learning enviroment, let him wait till he's two or slightly above two years old before registering him in school. It's better like that, it's not advisable to over-stretch kids' brains, it always have after effect.
Even at that 2 or 2+, it's too early, but civilisation is what is pushing us to all these. I know some standard schools like SOS schools and Montessory schools that will not admit/accept any kid less than 3 years old kid, these are the schools that are following the normal route.
When we were growing up, if one is not 6 years plus, no school will admit or accept you, and today, we thank God, it's not that because of that, we lag behind our mates.
I dont even know why the rush self, if a child finishes primary school at 11, spend another 6 years in secondary school, by then, he will be 17, if he's able to get admitted almost immediately, because of his maturity, he will spend another 4 years in the university, which will make him 21 years old as a graduate, if it's law, 5 years, and he will be 22 years old when he'll be through and if it's medicine, it's 7 years, which means 24 years old to graduate as a medical doctor, so, why the rushing, the truth is that, if kids are overly rushed at their tender ages, there is probability for them to pay for it in the future, why, you may ask, because the maturity has not yet set in when he was being pushed unnecessarily. The maturity part is very very essential for their and ur own good.
May God help us all.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Right Age For A Child To Start School? by helgaone: 4:32am On Jan 04, 2014
some kids are like that(fast).u can put ur baby in preschool so that by the time he is three he will be in KG1.one of my kids started like that she is seven now and still doing great.
Re: What Is The Right Age For A Child To Start School? by olymurphy(f): 7:51am On Jan 04, 2014
2yrs
Re: What Is The Right Age For A Child To Start School? by maureeno(m): 2:15pm On Jan 08, 2014
My daughter started PG 1 @ 1year.Śĥë is 3yrs now and in Nur 1,u wont even knw she is 3.it depends on you.ur kid can skip PG and start Nursery by 3yrs
Re: What Is The Right Age For A Child To Start School? by babake2020: 3:32pm On Jan 08, 2014
Thanks everyone for your contributions.... I'm better informed too take a decision. Thanks
Re: What Is The Right Age For A Child To Start School? by soulglo: 7:55pm On Jan 08, 2014
Kindergarten must mean different things in different places. A 14 month old child is likely not potty trained. Likely is not forming complete sentences. Your child is fine at a daycare center. The most important thing he could be learning now in daycare is routine and some structure. It is not unusual that kids that interact with other kids are more socially developed than the ones that stay on their mothers backs until they turn three. This does not mean that you should try to enroll them in medical school. It is just one of the perks. They tend to develop faster socially than their peers

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Husband Starving Me Of Sex Please Help Me!! / To Whom Does The Child Belong To In Nigeria? The Father Or The Mother Or Both? / My Tribute To Perx. . .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.