Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,890 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year (1159 Views)

Union Faults Aviation Ministry Merger / President Buhari Meets Aviation Ministry At State House Today / Aviation Ministry Confirms N255m Vehicles Purchase For Oduah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Nobody: 6:07am On Jan 04, 2014
The aviation ministry plans to spend N208 million to plant flowers and trees in the country's five main airports. They include Port Harcourt, Lagos, Abuja, Kano and Enugu airports.

This is contained in the 2014 budget proposal currently before the National Assembly.

Also, the ministry will spend an estimated N18 billion out of its N26 billion earmarked for Capital Expenditure to remodel the country's airports.

It will also spend N100 million "security gateway on express roads." The budget is silent on which roads the security will be provided.

The sum of N100 million will be spent on fencing airports.

However, part of the responsibilities of the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) is the provision of security around the airports which include fencing.

Coordinating Spokesman of aviation agencies Yakubu Dati in reply to a text message from Daily Trust reporter whose job it was to fence the airport, wrote "its FAAN's responsibility."

The ministry will also purchase air navigational equipment with N300 million.

It also plans to maintain agreement for the Total Radio Coverage of Nigeria (TRACON) support with N820 million and N200 million on 'cabling all airports'.

Additionally, N110 million will be spent on airport toll gates and another N100 million to paint and repair runways.

A breakdown of figures contained in the budget proposal for the ministry, indicates that despite the ministry's claims that the Aerotropolis project (city-airports) is purely a private sector driven with little government commitment, the ministry will shell out N100 million to Aerotropolis Consultants. It is N110 million less than what it appropriated for the same purpose in 2013 (N210 million).

Like last year, the ministry will spend over N13 million on refreshment and meals in 2014 but will spend less on publicity and advertisement this year with N9 million, compared to N13 million which it spent in 2013.

With a total allocation of N32.3 billion in 2014, the ministry's 2014 total allocation suffered a cut to as much as N9 billion from the N42 billion which was appropriated for it in 2013.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201401030318.html
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by nsk1stson: 6:37am On Jan 04, 2014
hmmm,
208m to plant flowers n tree?,maka chukwu, 9ja is rich n dis stella z waisting funds.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Nobody: 6:41am On Jan 04, 2014
nsk 1st son: hmmm,
208m to plant flowers n tree?,maka chukwu, 9ja is rich n dis stella z waisting funds.
And that translates to over N41 million per airport.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by UyiIredia(m): 7:38am On Jan 04, 2014
Cosmetic whitewashing if you ask me.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Nobody: 7:43am On Jan 04, 2014
Idiott I tot you leave in abroad, and you don't know that beautification of environment and the maintenance are xpensive, tell me why netherland make billions of dollars by selling flowers. its the same you ppl that will say the airports are ugly, ask fashola how much he spend on planting flowers in lagos.

5 Likes

Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by IbokUtoroh(m): 7:43am On Jan 04, 2014
parliament OVER TO YOU. thank God the progressives r now maJORITY. lets see whether it will be BUSINESS AS USUAL.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by UyiIredia(m): 8:00am On Jan 04, 2014
CHESSBOARD: Idiott I tot you leave in abroad, and you don't know that beautification of environment and the maintenance are xpensive, tell me why netherland make billions of dollars by selling flowers. its the same you ppl that will say the airports are ugly, ask fashola how much he spend on planting flowers in lagos.

Sure. There is sense in planting flowers in shanties. And spending billions on flowers with poor aircraft safety standards.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Capnd143(m): 9:29am On Jan 04, 2014
While i condiser the amount allocated to beautification 'huge'. I however support the "neccesary evil" , we must pay the price if our airports must look neat

1 Like

Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Capnd143(m): 9:30am On Jan 04, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Sure. There is sense in planting flowers in shanties. And spending billions on flowers with poor aircraft safety standards.
are u stupid by default?
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Nobody: 9:35am On Jan 04, 2014
Actually, planting flowers along the airport road and within the airport premises is a good idea; as it adds to the beauty of the airport.

However, the bone of contention is the cost. Spending N41 million per airport, is too much.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by DahomeyAmazon(f): 9:43am On Jan 04, 2014
CLUELESSNESS, @cfcfan, any updates on the national carrier
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Nobody: 9:59am On Jan 04, 2014
I thought they said lagos airport is already remodelled.
I think the money is for her face cosmetic remodelling
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Nobody: 10:00am On Jan 04, 2014
Dahomey Amazon: CLUELESSNESS, @cfcfan, any updates on the national carrier

Well, Yakubu Dati, the coordinating PRO for the aviation parastatals has said that there is no agreement yet on the composition of the airline. Arik Air and Qatar are some of the airlines the FG is negotiating with.
I would prefer Arik Air merging with Aero and remnants of the defunct Air Nigeria. The new airline would then be able to use Arik's seven B787 Dreamliners on order, and it's two B777 also on order.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Nobody: 10:01am On Jan 04, 2014
The reason many of the MDAs jack up budgetary provisions at the stage of PRESENTATION is that usually during implementation, not all the budgeted sums are released. There is a difference between what is written on paper and what is eventually released as cash by the ministry of finance to the various MDAs. This is a fact.

We can only see the actual cost of these projects when contract for them is awarded.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by MakeMusicMoney: 10:04am On Jan 04, 2014
The aviation ministry plans to spend N208 million to plant flowers and trees in the country's five main airports. They include Port Harcourt, Lagos, Abuja, Kano and Enugu airports.

Holy Cow, man that's a lot of money though.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by geeez: 10:06am On Jan 04, 2014
N18bn?

Are the terminals bullet proof?

Just asking
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by DahomeyAmazon(f): 10:15am On Jan 04, 2014
CFCfan:

Well, Yakubu Dati, the coordinating PRO for the aviation parastatals has said that there is no agreement yet on the composition of the airline. Arik Air and Qatar are some of the airlines the FG is negotiating with.
I would prefer Arik Air merging with Aero and remnants of the defunct Air Nigeria. The new airline would then be able to use Arik's seven B787 Dreamliners on order, and it's two B777 also on order.
Oh thanks, I like the Arik idea.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by DahomeyAmazon(f): 10:16am On Jan 04, 2014
Sincere 9gerian: The reason many of the MDAs jack up budgetary provisions at the stage of PRESENTATION is that usually during implementation, not all the budgeted sums are released. There is a difference between what is written on paper and what is eventually released as cash by the ministry of finance to the various MDAs. This is a fact.

We can only see the actual cost of these projects when contract for them is awarded.
You are just shameless, would you say same if it was lagos state?
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Nobody: 10:23am On Jan 04, 2014
Dahomey Amazon:
Oh thanks, I like the Arik idea.
You're welcome.

If Arik becomes part of Nigerian Eagle (new national carrier), then NE will have over 40 aircraft. This would make it the biggest Nigerian airline ever.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Brimmie(m): 11:28am On Jan 04, 2014
Like 3.9 Billion each?? undecided
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by bloggernaija: 4:27pm On Jan 04, 2014
Misapplication of resources.
Just an avenue to steal.
A BUDGET IS A STATEMENT OF YOUR PRIORITIES.
make the airports functional ;simple.
China builds one power plant every week.
Providing electricity and water for irrigation and drinking should be the priority right now.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by dempeople(m): 5:10pm On Jan 04, 2014
CFCfan:
You're welcome.
If Arik becomes part of Nigerian Eagle (new national carrier), then NE will have over 40 aircraft. This would make it the biggest Nigerian airline ever.

If FG is really serious about the national carrier then doing an audit of the defunct Nigeria airways is absolutely necessary. They should also be more serious with the upgrades of existing airports. The amount to be spent on new terminals is really low. I read that N13bn (about $80m) is to be spent on building an international terminal at Enugu airport. I wonder what kind of design and quality they plan to deliver. If the FG can quadruple the amount required to build terminals across the country then we could start to see some better designed and larger terminals that can manage booming traffic.

I'm sure the govt. would take into consideration the fact that Arik is a highly indebted airline with an inconsistent aircraft order record. I remember and was eagerly anticipating the delivery of their triple-7 aircrafts in 2011 when they cancelled it due to financing issues. Again, they placed an order for 2 747-8 aircrafts but reverted it to 777s. I understand the FG owns a substantial part of Aero. If they decide to use either or both of these airlines, they would need to spend at least not less than £10bn to properly position the airline, develop quality terminal hubs, buy more long range aircrafts especially the highly economical 777s, 747-8s, 787-9s & 10s and A350s (except A380s), adequate development of the new airline's engineering services etc. With these and consistent and disciplined govt policies and regulations, the airline would most certainly be profitable and would look very attractive to investors.

What do you think?
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jan 04, 2014
^^
You raised good points there. The audit you're talking about was done in 2003 by the OBJ govt. The resulting white paper recommended the prosecution of some former administrators of the defunct Nigeria Airways, who looted and mismanaged the airline's funds. You cab google "Obiora Nwazota report" for more info.

I agree that Nigerian Eagle will require massive funding to make it one of the best in Africa. That's why it will be launched with an IPO of $1.2bn once the negotiations are concluded. The airline can start with, as u said, 777s and Dreamliners. Then if there is a great demand for it's seats, it could order the 747s.

I think N13bn is adequate for the 1st phase of the Enugu international terminal. The truth is that Enugu will be a 2nd tier airport, which will be less busy than the ones in Lagos and Abuja. Having said that, the small amount should not be an excuse for a shoddy construction work on the terminal. The Bole airport terminal in Addis Ababa cost around $70, but it beats any airport in Naija, in terms of aesthetics and functionality.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by dempeople(m): 6:09pm On Jan 04, 2014
^

In a very possible future scenario whereby Lagos and Abuja start becoming depopulated as a result of gradual industrial updates and developments in other areas such as areas in the SE (etc Enugu city, Onitsha, Nnewi, Awka, Aba, Owerri) & SS (PH, Asaba, Warri), airports around these areas would surely have to be 1st tier airports in other to avoid the situation of the undercapacity of MMIA. With the new airline, an introduction of the 747-8 on a typical busy route such as Los - Lhr, Los - Dxb and Los - Houston will surely counter the monopoly of Delta, BA and Emirates on such routes bearing in mind the amount of passengers on each route.

Are you knowledgeable within Aviation circles if I may politely ask?
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by IGBOSON1: 6:33pm On Jan 04, 2014
CFCfan: Actually, planting flowers along the airport road and within the airport premises is a good idea; as it adds to the beauty of the airport.

However, the bone of contention is the cost. Spending N41 million per airport, is too much.

^^^Better soup na money kill am!; you get what you pay for! If we're talking of a couple of guys gathered with wheel barrows and shovels, then i suppose 41 million per airport is a tad too steep in cost; but if we're talking of an experienced landscaping company......with equipment, designers and staff that do the actual work, then i reckon 41 million is a fair amount!

Don't you like it when you approach a countrys international gateway and you see a well designed parking lot, well maintained fresh 'green' lawns, well trimmed hedges and shrubs, and neat rows of trees swoshing in the wind? You like?......i thought you might! wink

Like i said, if we want our airports to be of international standard, it starts with these little things that some may think are insignificant and unnecessary!
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jan 04, 2014
just 18billion if it's food, they'd budget over 100billion but when it comes to development they'd short change it and produce crappy infrastructures
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 04, 2014
@ dem people: I'll say that I'm fairly knowledgeable about the aviation industry. I'm definitely not an expert cool
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by superstar1(m): 6:55pm On Jan 04, 2014
Diz corrupt igbo woman again.

Na only her? cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Nobody: 10:40am On Jun 28, 2014
Nigeria is the only country in Africa with high and growing number of indigenous international travellers put at over eight million per annum. It is estimated that by 2020, the figure will more than double. The international travel market is put at over $80 billion, but Nigerian carriers have less than three per cent of this huge market. Chinedu Eze writes that Nigeria’s failure to have a national carrier is at the root of the loss of opportunities in air transport sector

Unemployment is high in Nigeria because the Nigerian government has not exploited job opportunities in every sector of the economy to create jobs. So there is potentially a large, open job market at every facet of the nation’s economy, which is today redundant. Take for example, the aviation sector; the catering department can create over 200, 000 jobs, if Nigeria has viable airlines that are fully involved in air lifting Nigerians to international destinations.

Such viable airlines will need over 100,000 cabin crew members thousands of technicians and with Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) facility established, there will be hundreds of indigenous engineers needed. About 10 years ago, Lufthansa alone has more than 17,500 pilots; over 22,000 cabin crew members and half a million technicians with three main maintenance facilities located at its three major German cities. That figure must have increased and the most lucrative route for Lufthansa is Lagos to Frankfurt. It is the same with British Airways, South African Airways, Air France and others.

The fulcrum of air transport development is built on a nation’s national carrier, which could be largely private sector driven or fully owned by government, like Africa’s most profitable airline, Ethiopian Airlines. Nigeria lost its bearing and prime position in the sector when it liquidated the Nigerian Airways Limited (NAL) in 2004. Manpower development, dominance of a country’s lucrative routes and commercial air service agreement revolve around a national carrier or flag carrier that has the full backing of government.

Nigeria is losing over N400 billion to foreign airlines and expatriate manpower in the aviation sector annually because NAL was liquidated so it could no more train aviators and all its lucrative routes have been taken over by foreign airlines, which easily receive frequencies from the Nigerian government like a piece of cake.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Nobody: 10:40am On Jun 28, 2014
International aviation expert and former Secretary General of the African Airlines Association (AFRAA), Nick Fadugba, said: “Ideally, in 2004, the Government of Nigeria should have privatised the loss-making national carrier, Nigeria Airways, rather than liquidate it. The Government of Kenya followed this strategy and Kenya Airways is now one of the leading airlines in Africa.
“Running a successful airline is a very difficult job. You need deep pockets, a viable business plan, competent management and an enabling regulatory and economic environment to run a profitable airline anywhere in the world. Many Nigerian airlines today are disadvantaged from the outset, in terms of their aircraft fleet size and commercial viability and the operating environment.”

Remedying the Situation
Aviation experts believe that it would be difficult for Nigeria to withdraw the flight rights it has given out to foreign carriers, but government can start empowering its own airlines and give the opportunities to compete by fully supporting them and reviewing the Bilateral Air Service Agreements (BASA) it signed with various countries on flight rights of their airlines. It can also introduce the Fly Nigeria Act to enforce those travelling on government expense to patronise Nigerian airlines or their code sharing partners.
But the truth is that Nigerian government does not support Nigerian airlines. In fact, top government officials introduce harsh laws to make Nigerian airlines fail to give way to foreign airlines, that have fully taken over the Nigerian market.

This is one of the hurdles the plan to have a national carrier is facing. The major reason why government has so far failed to establish a national carrier is because it failed to take easy way out by building a national or flag carrier with the most promising Nigerian airline, Arik; rather government in its last attempt chose Aero which neither has the desired fleet nor the routes, with only a local experience. The attempt failed and industry insiders say that another attempt that excludes utilising the existing major carrier that already has international routes experience may also fail. But what is certain is that Nigeria needs a national carrier or empowered flag carrier to get back to reckoning in the African and world air transport market.

Government’s Complacency
Government’s ineptitude and alleged corruption seem to have infected the attitude of Nigerians about what they have. When Arik Air announced on Tuesday in Lagos that it would start flying to Dubai in July, the colour of the questions asked the management of the airline captured the pessimism of Nigerians: that an indigenous airline can hardly make it. And this brings to mind what travel expert, Ikechi Uko, said about Nigeria’s air transport market.

“First, the Nigerian person does not believe in the next Nigerian to give him a better service than the foreigner; even when that fact is untrue. A Nigerian believes that the grass is greener on the other side; he believes that anything foreign is better than anything Nigerian. So that belief of the Nigerian creates the first huddle for any Nigerian product to thrive.
“You have a situation where a Nigerian carrier like Arik has the best aircraft flying out of Lagos, yet most Nigerians do not patronise them the way they should, despite their having the best equipment, Airbus A340,500. That is the best plane out of Lagos but it doesn’t get the kind of traction that it ought to. So the Nigerian lacks the belief in the ability of other Nigerians to do well.
Re: Aviation Ministry To Spend N18bn On Airport Remodelling This Year by Nobody: 10:41am On Jun 28, 2014
“To give credence to this, few months ago, Arik Air ground handling company withdrew its auxiliary power unit (APU) that provided power to its New York flight before take-off. As the flight was delayed before take-off, the passengers suffered scotching heat and almost led to a protest in the aircraft. The drama was posted on YouTube and other online media. Arik Air was vehemently attacked. But about 10 days ago British Airways delayed its flight for 48 hours when its flight’s fuel compartment cap was damaged. The passengers stayed overnight before they could be given accommodation and on the day they would be travelling the scheduled flight of the day was given precedence before the passengers that waited for two days. This was not posted on YouTube, besides the personal experiences narrated by some passengers, the media gave it a passing glance.”
Uko also noted: “A Nigerian would prefer to represent a foreign interest and destroy his own brother’s ability to thrive well, so franchising thrives in Nigeria because Nigerians are willing to represent foreign interests. And when a foreign organisation has a strong Nigerian personality behind him, he will always do better than the Nigerian. That’s why some people are promoting the Fly Nigeria Act. At least it makes it a law and criminalises the use of foreign brand when a local brand is available.

Colonial Mentality
The above observation encapsulates the attitude the Nigerian government bequeathed to the citizenry. Government do not really protect its own. And that explains why government gave out 80 BASA with Nigerian carriers having less than three per cent stake. Now, when you hear a Nigerian say: “I can never fly any airline that is not Lufthansa,” it always derived from what the Managing Director of Arik Air, Chris Ndulue, and others refer to as colonial mentality.
While unveiling the plan to operate to Dubai on Tuesday, the Group Chief Executive Officer of Arik Air, Dr. Michael Arumemi –Ikhide, in response to questions on national carrier, said: “We have been aware of the plan to establish a national carrier. Arik Air is the only indigenous airline carrying out national service on the long haul market. We connect all airports in Nigeria from the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) to West and Central Africa,” adding that the airline is established for Nigeria for the aspirations of Nigerians in the air transport sector.
He also talked about what Nigeria is losing by government not supporting its own.
“There have been some discussions about the national carrier. As far as Arik is concerned, we are troubled. At the end of the day we have a huge market comprising 170 million Nigerians but the market penetration is limited. As the aviation sector develops, as Nigerians have more opportunities to travel it helps the socio economic and political integration of the nation. It stimulates businesses; it stimulates foreign direct investment, it stimulates social cohesion. We are all for anything that will improve the lives of our people and we have a role and a part to play in that.”

Arumemi –Ikhide, like many other Nigerians in the aviation sector, believes that the country is giving so much away for nothing by not supporting indigenous airlines and not establishing a national carrier or flag carrier with full government support.
“Why should we allow it, whether it is in this business or in other businesses, foreign institutions to come here and access our growing market, where the profits exist and the potential exist, they come here to access and repatriate those funds at will? Nigerians should be able to support Nigerian products if Nigerians are able to deliver in all industries.
What Arik is about is being able to show we can deliver a world class service. We can do as well, if not better than many of our foreign competitors. What does that mean? It means that jobs are created here. It means that the wealth circulates here. It means that opportunities circulate here, in this market; for our country for our people. It means that education, knowledge, skills develop here. That is what Arik is about.”

He said the promise Arik could make to Nigerians is: “We will not put ourselves forward and say we expect support because we are Nigerians; we want to deliver a service that makes you proud of being a Nigerian; that gives you the same opportunity, the same access that you will expect anywhere else, and even better. We will do this always with safety first.”
While Nigerians are bickering among themselves, foreign airlines are carting the nation’s wealth away. The country needs to develop a national carrier in order to move towards redemption of the air transport sector.

(1) (Reply)

Umaru Dikko: The Failed Abduction / Adamawa Crisis: Nyako Flies In Atiku As 7-man Panel Begins Probe / BREAKING NEWS ; PDP Governors Pledged Support For Jonathan’s 2015 Ambition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.