Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,223 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:59 AM

Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students (21016 Views)

Non-academic Students On The Rise In Nigerian Universities- NTA / [opinion Poll] Can Teachers’ Dressing Affect Students’ Academic Performance? / Does Seat Position In Class Affect Students' Academic Performance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by ikkings(m): 8:56pm On Jan 07, 2014
To me, a graduate with vocational skills is able to excel easily in the sense that, he can add creativity and style to his work and outshine his counterparts, with his knowledge
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by GentleMimi: 8:59pm On Jan 07, 2014
Dreamflyin: #TeamVocationalTraining.
I came from a family that made their fortune from dirt and grit - car engine rebuilders.
From when i was kid, i dreaded my dad's workshop after school hours.
Through secondary school, i cursed every single day my dad forces me to come to work during holidays.
Money made from that company already sent me to flight school overseas for pilot training. I like machines, i troubleshoot machines and i breathe and love working on any machinery.
Today, i stowed my diploma deep inside my bag, working at something i had always hated, but really loved.
I'm my own man, with a very bright future in manufacturing and service company all thanks to the skills i got from working at my dads.
I now smile as i see the Uni peeps come for IT, and try not to get dirty, but will jump into the labour market tomorrow sweating it for peanuts, when they could make a huge fortune for themselves with a skill and the sound education they got after the initial pain, ridicule and sacrifice.
Nigeria manufactures so little, and the future manufacturers got the future.
Show me someone flaunting his cert, i'll show you a big failure.
Nice one.

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by GentleMimi: 9:20pm On Jan 07, 2014
felixdanielthed:
Dangote acquired money-making skills from his uncle, was never an inborn talent took association with his uncle to unleash dat talent skills in trading bro.

Both vocational and academics should go together.

Like rich dad poor dad say universities makes u a employee not n employer
He was ''born'' wif it,but developed and honed it under his uncle's wings,,,u get my point? Many peeps hv skills but unable to showcase it due to lack of opportunity.

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by onihaxy: 9:22pm On Jan 07, 2014
Karkarash: so are you trying to insinuate that children should shun education and go and learn barbing,tailoring,painting? why dont you start with your kids

read my closing remarks "graduates should buy the idea of creating jobs after school rather than job hunting." i neva said education is useless

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Sunshinelady(f): 9:39pm On Jan 07, 2014
Op, u r post is more or less saying; 'shun education & face vocational skills'. But u r wrong , u shuld hav said: 'combine education wit vocational skills'. I do tell graduates to graduate to create job & not to start crying to d Govt for job. Use d knowledge u got in skul & start doin somfin on ur own, add vocational skiLls to it & d sky will be ur limit. But I can never advise anyone to drop education for vocational skills. For wat will it profit a man if he gains all d money in d world witout education, & can't even com out to xpress himself confidently in public? & 4 dose sayin 'shun education' if no one had gone to skul to learn how to produce drugs, perform tests like hepatitis, typhoid, malaria , blood sugar tests, or treat & dress wounds, wat will u do if after 'chopping' ur money u fall sick, or ur wife gets pregnant & needs to deliver thru caesarian section. Or u need to erect a buildin, or dig borehole. Vocational skills alone can't save u in dese cases. So in summary; Go to skul, & hav additional skills too!

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by elbulk(m): 9:45pm On Jan 07, 2014
GentleMimi: Please,let's not get it twisted.Combination of education and skills beats vocational training anyday,anytime.How many of these ''vocational workers'' are money makers? Just a low percentage.Some peeps are born wif skills,but hone those skills to perfection when they obtain education.A man who is dumb will not succeed in vocational jobs no matter his training.The fact is that a few of these vocational trainees are outrightly successful.Most are just petty petty money makers.But a well honed skill,combined with wisdom and Grace is what makes men billioniars.Dangote did not learn any vocation,neither did he go to school...he was born wif money-making skill!

Get ur facts rite...Dangote has a degree from a university in Egypt,plus he learnt to do business properly
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by bakry86: 9:58pm On Jan 07, 2014
sкчscrαρεr™:
Woah! I made frontpage. *slaughters chicken*

wetin u won make d OP do

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by rkarang: 10:30pm On Jan 07, 2014
Unfortunately, we are looking at this issue from "Naija" perspective. It's only here in Nigeria and some developing countries that 'most' graduates are not productive.

The United States, Germany and some developed countries have a huge number of graduates that are 'highly' productive.

If education is not vital to development, why does Bill Gate sponsor/award scholarship to University Researchers?

Some people have vocational certificates but are not productive at all; some tailors are now "Okada riders". Similarly, some graduates too are now casual workers @ Pure Water Industry etc.

My view is that; to be successful in any career or occupation in life, there are some factors that you need to possess which are very common among today's successful businessmen and women in the world.

3 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by kel4soft: 10:56pm On Jan 07, 2014
Read Civil Engineering. Currently into Cinematography. OP is on point. Education + Skill = Rest.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by valdprof: 11:01pm On Jan 07, 2014
onihaxy: Have you ever wondered why vocational students don't cry of unemployment?, I think its the differences in our mentality.

Academic students in nigeria has this mentality of going to school, graduate with good grades and then becomes gainfully employed by an established organisation while the vocational students had the mentality of learning any vocational skills of their choice, (tailoring, barbing, hairdressing, etc) and after their freedom, they become there own boss by establishing themselves and start training others and the chain of self-reliant continues

Back in the 90's, the academic students always mock their counterparts in the vocational line with the mentality that they (academic student) will make a better life than the vocational students. According to a pry song we do sing in my school back then, "if u go to school, ur shoes will be making ko-ko-ka sound but if you don't go to school, your shoe sole will be flat. Meaning that if you go to school, the vocational student will be serving you and you will be there leader, though this theory works back then when there are jobs on ground for graduates after school, but in this era. The table has been turned around, the vocational graduates who are self established are now recruiting academic graduates as their children's home lesson teacher, as their P.A, some has office assistance. The worse part of it is that so many graduates are even going back to this vocational people to learn skills.

It reminded me of back in NYSC days when vocational courses like barbing, catering, event planning, beads making, and so on was introduced, I happen to pick up paint making and learn, the guy who came to teach us then came in a nice saloon car. Came up to the hall and started the lecture, you need to see the gbagaun he was throwing. As he noticed that we were laughing at him, then he paused the lecture and switched over to his life story......

He begin by telling us his academic history. He said he dropped out in ss2 due to lack of funds in 2002. How he was mocked by his friends who proceeded to university. How he went to a paint company to work as a casual staff, there he learnt basic paints making. From there, he attended a seminar on making quality paints, bought the book and then started his life from there. He said 10years later which was 2012 that he came to teach us, he said he has built 2 houses, bought 3 nice cars, became a millionaire and finally. He has trained close to 3000 B.sc graduates.

He ended his story by saying getting rich in life doesn't depend on your qualifications, your english speaking accents, but your level of understanding how to be on your own, identifying people's need and providing solutions to it and then making your own money through it. Every1 in the hall suddenly kept quiet and tears start rolling from the eyes of most of us. The practical training class became a motivational class.
So I think the academic students and graduates of nowadays should stop or minimise the mentality of going to school, get good grades, and start applying for jobs but rather learn from the vocational students who studied to be the boss of their own.
In conclusion, academic students can also learn vocations along side to be self reliant, or they should develop the mindset of creating jobs rather than hunting for jobs
Over to you fellow nairalanders, what is your own view?

Iro ni ooooo. My story made it to front page?. My sincere thanks to the moderators and fellow nairalanders.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by mecussey(m): 11:04pm On Jan 07, 2014
My people, make una go to school oooo, but just have it in mind that it's not a guarantee for success that is all.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by muscadoh(m): 11:11pm On Jan 07, 2014
Thank you for the post but i disagree with you about vocational student and academic student. Yes some might make more money than academic student but the truth is that is not all about money even though it is the primary reason.
You cannot compare the quality of Academic student to Voc student when it comes to general socialization and civilization these are things money cannot buy.

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Ultimated1(m): 11:20pm On Jan 07, 2014
Ultimate: i beg na who told u dat bros dangote no go sku? Me contribution is dat, try and find a purpose 4 living. Its either u live 4 sumtin or u die 4 nothing.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by ZUBY77(m): 11:26pm On Jan 07, 2014
valdprof: no matter how voracious a rat eats . It can not be a rabbit.

A dead rabbit or a living rat, which would you choose for a pet?
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jan 07, 2014
hotmas911: Education and schooling are two different things.
this is my best post on this thread. Many Nigerians went to school: Unfortunately, only a tiny percentage got educated.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by yinkabillion: 11:58pm On Jan 07, 2014
Whether you decide to follow d academic,vocational or watever line doesn't matter.the most important thing is having something to offer.most graduates today av nothing to offer.nobody is gonna employ a liability.just be a force to reckon with wherever u find urself..dats d basic

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by hoodboy(m): 11:59pm On Jan 07, 2014
What you people fail to realise is that learning a trade is also education, education is not restricted to the curriculum of a polytechnic or university. You are highly ignorant of you call an apprentice to has dedicated a good five to ten years of his life mastering (emphasis on mastering) a trade an illiterate. He would deftly school you when it comes to issues regarding his trade/skill/expertise.

It is highly ignorant of us when we attribute literacy to speaking English, last time I checked the japs and chinese are doing quite well without the language.

I had this neighbour who was my age mate, after secondary school he opted to further his education in his father's trade as against the ivory towers, I'd be ignorant to dare call him an illiterate. Western education is good no doubts, but nothing beats hand work.

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Nobody: 12:09am On Jan 08, 2014
rkarang: Unfortunately, we are looking at this issue from "Naija" perspective. It's only here in Nigeria and some developing countries that 'most' graduates are not productive.

The United States, Germany and some developed countries have a huge number of graduates that are 'highly' productive.

If education is not vital to development, why does Bill Gate sponsor/award scholarship to University Researchers?

Some people have vocational certificates but are not productive at all; some tailors are now "Okada riders". Similarly, some graduates too are now casual workers @ Pure Water Industry etc.

My view is that; to be successful in any career or occupation in life, there are some factors that you need to possess which are very common among today's successful businessmen and women in the world.

another brilliant point. Nigerian graduates are the least productive fellows i've ever seen on planet earth. But what do you expect when all they did in the uni was 'la cram, la pour'. So obviously, everything that was crammed and not understood left the brain immediately the final exams ended!

Btw, you misunderstood the op....you are saying exactly what he means. He is not trying to discredit education.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Rapmoney(m): 12:14am On Jan 08, 2014
I dey sorry for the person wen post this thread. So you could
actually stay in a particular place while a dude taught you
how to make vocational stuffs like paint, soap, sponge, shoe
polish? And you were happy? Common! You don't need to be
a university graduate to make stuffs like that! Why waste years
In Uni only to learn how to make stuffs like that? You should
have spent those years in learning the trade instead.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Nobody: 12:19am On Jan 08, 2014
hoodboy: What you people fail to realise is that learning a trade is also education, education is not restricted to the curriculum of a polytechnic or university. You are highly ignorant of you call an apprentice to has dedicated a good five to ten years of his life mastering (emphasis on mastering) a trade an illiterate. He would deftly school you when it comes to issues regarding his trade/skill/expertise.

It is highly ignorant of us when we attribute literacy to speaking English, last time I checked the japs and chinese are doing quite well without the language.
great point!

Note however that literacy is totally different from education. Literacy majorly is the ability to read and write (it doesn't matter the language; if you can read and write in any language, then you are literate). Education however is a different ball game and you don't necessarily have to get it through a formal means. And the word 'education' itself is a broad word which is subjective.
So your friend might be educated (in trade or whatever he does). But if he can't read and write in either English or Igbo or any other world language, then he is still 'illiterate'.

Same way, you might be 'literate', but not educated.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by isoh(m): 12:33am On Jan 08, 2014
Perusing though a bulk of the replies here, I have observed that a number of us believe practical skills to be technical vocations only....But can I share this with my academic graduates. Some of us have wonderful teaching abilities but have failed to cultivate and put them to use. I started mine wit gathering year 1 and predegree students and passing mathematics information to them for a token of #20 per students back in my undergraduate days. Unknown to me I was building a wonderful skill that with take me to the next level in the years to come. Six years latter now a graduate of engineering with honours, I can look back and smile because those little token have metamorphosed to three strong digits in that same little skill I developed those days.
I am now a author of mathematics and other calculation text books with three books in print while working for myself and even employing others. Sometimes I even forget I studied engineering.

Hey friend........you too have an inert skill, develop it while pursuing your academics. Nice friends

4 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by yinkabillion: 12:35am On Jan 08, 2014
Your post is just a perfect explanation of the problem.I mean,look how many mistakes u made in passing across your opinion(ur post).so even if u get employed nd u were asked to write an article by your employers,is this how ur gonna mess up?really?nobody wants a half-baked graduate in his company,when you are creative,got the money-making skills,upright etc then u nid to see d way companies will run after u...everybody wants d best,they gotta squeeze ur own space out for you..that's how simple it is.On the other hand,if you are a carpenter,I expect you know the standard sizes of frames of wooden doors,quality of wood nd other very relevant things pertaining to carpentery,if you are a very good carpenter,u will definitely make it.So bottom line is be EMPLOYABLE,have somtin to offer.Nobody is gonna giv u money for free.not even santa!!Anyway I don't really blame you @OP.I blame d government for taking education/empowerment with levity
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Nobody: 12:40am On Jan 08, 2014
GentleMimi: I'm sorry,but i disagree wif u to an extent.Academic students are not only interested in school alone.The society and family also influences a child's passion for vocational activities.Eg. I'm a graduate and working,but i hv a passion for bead and cake making.....it all stemmed from my mum's possession of culinary skills.What makes u think the the seminar presenter wld hv had that ''mentality'',had it not been for his condition?
That is like one in a million!
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by yinkabillion: 12:44am On Jan 08, 2014
hoodboy: What you people fail to realise is that learning a trade is also education, education is not restricted to the curriculum of a polytechnic or university. You are highly ignorant of you call an apprentice to has dedicated a good five to ten years of his life mastering (emphasis on mastering) a trade an illiterate. He would deftly school you when it comes to issues regarding his trade/skill/expertise.

I had this neighbour who was my age mate, after secondary school he opted to further his education in his father's trade as against the ivory towers, I'd be ignorant to dare call him an illiterate. Western education is good no doubts, but nothing beats hand work.
nigga english is the official language here in Nigeria,dats hw we officially communicate.So if u attended a primary,second skul nd even went to the uni here in naija,then obviously u were taught in english.So wats d first evidence of learning if u can't even speak the english with which u were taught whatever u learnt?nigga let's call a spade a spade.d japs nd chinese didn't learn in english

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by onihaxy: 2:22am On Jan 08, 2014
Rapmoney: I dey sorry for the person wen post this thread. So you could
actually stay in a particular place while a dude taught you
how to make vocational stuffs like paint, soap, sponge, shoe
polish? And you were happy? Common! You don't need to be
a university graduate to make stuffs like that! Why waste years
In Uni only to learn how to make stuffs like that? You should
have spent those years in learning the trade instead.

It was an inevitable program of nysc. You just have to register and learn atleast one vocation of skills after CDS during cds days.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by achi4u(m): 3:24am On Jan 08, 2014
It is always better to combine both(vocation and academics)if you have the opportunities.Imagine me who have never go to any higher institution engaging SOME of those so called graduate in their on field of studies.
It is not as if I hated education or that I don't want to go to school rather i'm not opportune to further my education to the length.
My only saving grace is that I READ any book that my hand can lay on...and this is where most today's students are lacking ;I mean, how can u know what you don't read?
their next answer will even shock you -sorting?
Today whatever a graduate do I myself will equally do it even better and bigger despite that I don't I have paper certificate.
Yes, I can't go for job hurting because I can't stay for so long doing office work.lol

In summary, education and vocational skills should /must be included in our universities.
Do you know how many grads I have introduced to this forum?

4 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by achi4u(m): 3:39am On Jan 08, 2014
Again, it is only in nigeria that a mechanical engineer will tell you that he/she don't know what is PISTON and RINGS grin
Not to talk of repairing an engine ...but call an illiterate chinese or indian who hardly hear "come" he /she will tear the tractor engine and repair it without blinking an eyes,lol
Still education will brings out the best in you and still positioned you to water the un forseen future storm.
Go with the both.

3 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by ikkings(m): 3:48am On Jan 08, 2014
bakry86:

wetin u won make d OP do
kill cow
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Abbey2sam(m): 4:19am On Jan 08, 2014
Karkarash: so are you trying to insinuate that children should shun education and go and learn barbing,tailoring,painting? why dont you start with your kids

You must be really pathetic and dumb also,
The op said learn a skill while you're schooling
Or do you think that's impossible

Men in suit works for men in jeans
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Validated: 4:43am On Jan 08, 2014
Orikinla: From being a tutor and interviewer, I know that majority of vocational students are intellectually re-tarded.
They lack intellectual comprehension.

In education, you are what you have chosen to be. And majority of students in Nigeria are lagging far behind intellectually.

NO SIR! I started as a vocational student. Moved on to obtain a Masters and in pursuit of a Phd in a Canadian Uni. Where you start from is irrelevant, but where you are headed. I read of a student who could not pass a nursing exam, but later came back to same medical school as a prof of medicine.

Moral: Determination makes success, not where your father bought you JAMB results for! grin
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by ChiSun27(m): 4:45am On Jan 08, 2014
ismokeweed: Thank u very much but I prefer to be educated.

Do u comprehend at all? Too much weed I guess.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by UyiIredia(m): 5:10am On Jan 08, 2014
The fact that people still state one must combine both training shows how brainwashed our society is into thinking tertiary education is a be all, end all. Developed countries like Netherlands and Finland leave university for smart peoole who have proven interest in research and design and leave polytechnics or vocational schools (in varied crafts) for others. It is a proven fact that we have many graduates who know little or nothing about their courses: the future of this country ultimately rests on technical or vocational educated ones.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lies You Were Told About The University / The History Of ASUU Strike Since 2001 Till Date / Unizik Cut Off Mark (comprehensive List) 2012/2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.