Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,153 members, 7,811,307 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:52 AM

Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students (21017 Views)

Non-academic Students On The Rise In Nigerian Universities- NTA / [opinion Poll] Can Teachers’ Dressing Affect Students’ Academic Performance? / Does Seat Position In Class Affect Students' Academic Performance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by 2mNaira: 6:12am On Jan 08, 2014
Dreamflyin: #TeamVocationalTraining.
I came from a family that made their fortune from dirt and grit - car engine rebuilders.
From when i was kid, i dreaded my dad's workshop after school hours.
Through secondary school, i cursed every single day my dad forces me to come to work during holidays.
Money made from that company already sent me to flight school overseas for pilot training. I like machines, i troubleshoot machines and i breathe and love working on any machinery.
Today, i stowed my diploma deep inside my bag, working at something i had always hated, but really loved.
I'm my own man, with a very bright future in manufacturing and service company all thanks to the skills i got from working at my dads.
I now smile as i see the Uni peeps come for IT, and try not to get dirty, but will jump into the labour market tomorrow sweating it for peanuts, when they could make a huge fortune for themselves with a skill and the sound education they got after the initial pain, ridicule and sacrifice.
Nigeria manufactures so little, and the future manufacturers got the future.
Show me someone flaunting his cert, i'll show you a big failure.

I will like to contact u if u can be of help to me.I am d cteator of ds thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/1578010/moulding-metals-fabricating-machine-parts
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by RexioKlasik(m): 6:34am On Jan 08, 2014
The two ways r equally neccessary
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by rossete2020(f): 6:46am On Jan 08, 2014
Both are very necessary.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by MyX1: 6:47am On Jan 08, 2014
Karkarash: so are you trying to insinuate that children should shun education and go and learn barbing,tailoring,painting? why dont you start with your kids
What is your Difination of Education?
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Charbless(m): 6:57am On Jan 08, 2014
I never belittle those guys. Cos even after this B.sc, mehn!!!! I still need that Vocational pakage

2 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by GentleMimi: 7:07am On Jan 08, 2014
elbulk:

Get ur facts rite...Dangote has a degree from a university in Egypt,plus he learnt to do business properly
Thank u Professor Osisoma... grin
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by baaliyah(m): 7:15am On Jan 08, 2014
Vocational students strive to become employers while academic students want to be employees.

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 08, 2014
Even you OP, your English is fire. I wonder the kind of school we attend these days.

Open said that person who taught them paint-making was throwing "gbagaun " . His (OP) English doesn't sound like that of a graduate either . Pathetic!
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by MyX1: 7:22am On Jan 08, 2014
My X1: What is your Difination of Education?
Education is said to be 1. (uncountable) The process or art of imparting knowledge,skill and judgment. 2. (countable) Facts,skills and ideas that have been learned,either formally or informally.
So what ecxatly are we talking about?
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by o42austino(m): 7:31am On Jan 08, 2014
for the nairalanders that got what the OP is say i say thumbs up to u. listen peeps, their are many work in Nigeria and all over the world that even the available workforce the world will be over worked but their are fewer Jobs in the whole world including America.
Have u asked ur self while so many chinese,lebanese and indians start off in Nigeria by doing Vocational work and within 5yrs they will hv a vocational company that help major companies in Nigeria to maintian and service their Equipments?, the truth is that in the coming yrs more white collar jobs will be terminated because we now hv freelancers doing does jobs both online and offline at a lower cost that is making it possible for ur boss to see that his wasting money keeping u at his company while he can go with the freelancers for a cheaper cost.REMEMBER THAT EDUCATION IS OF 2 TYPES FORMAL AND INFORMAL EDUCATION, WHICH EVER WAY U GOT UR EDUCATION UR EDUCATED.

3 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by patrickkkk: 7:40am On Jan 08, 2014
@misterkay (and to others dat have d same mentality misterkay has) do u understand d meaning of EDUCATION Let alone to be educated? If u do not please feel free to check out my POST on that topic. Thanks
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by corperscorner: 7:42am On Jan 08, 2014
Orikinla: From being a tutor and interviewer, I know that majority of vocational students are intellectually re-tarded.
They lack intellectual comprehension.

In education, you are what you have chosen to be. And majority of students in Nigeria are lagging far behind intellectually.

Odikwa big FOOL>>>>>>>>>retarded ass like u.
tongue
Orikinla: From being a tutor and interviewer, I know that majority of vocational students are intellectually re-tarded.
They lack intellectual comprehension.

In education, you are what you have chosen to be. And majority of students in Nigeria are lagging far behind intellectually.

Odikwa big FOOL>>>>>>>>>retarded ass like u.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by RuuDie(m): 7:53am On Jan 08, 2014
Behind every "illiterate" billionaire, is a "literate" not-so-weathy individual!

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by funkymedina: 8:20am On Jan 08, 2014
The OP is 100% correct. I have a bachelors degree and a masters degree here in Europe and I tell you there is nothing compared to a practical skill, the works of ur hand .. I have taught myself to sew , build electronic circuits and other stuff i love but couldnt because I must be a LAWYER...I even sew handbags on the side now cheesy.
My kids, even though they will go to university MUSAT learn a vocational skill..MUST ! i dont care what skill.. weldiing carpentry, baking. hat making whatever in addition to ur degree. If they r interested in IT then add programming to that list ..you dont need a degree to be a programmer either. LET HE WHO HAS EARS HEAR!
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by GentleMimi: 8:52am On Jan 08, 2014
corperscorner:

ode oshi
oponu ayirada
abirun eda
olori nla
grin
Choi! See vexing? Werrin happen na? Na me say make ur destiny get K-leg? Or ur lineage to be as*s lickers? Loooooool!
Mbok free me jare.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by FolayanDiranMathew: 9:13am On Jan 08, 2014
Infact dis story hs move me to another Level as am speaking,,,,,,,,is also my lif xpprienc
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by nfts0502: 9:13am On Jan 08, 2014
To my own view both are good ...learning the right trade is very good ,i use myself as example i left Nigeria in 2001 to United State to study international business the program took me 3years and 8months afer my graduation i started working with Delta Airline as a ticket agent after some years with the company i got fired due to no fault of my own and i was unemployed for some months furtunately i finaly find anothoer job with a company that sale flooring product like Tile,marble,wood floor and more.. to me i taugth i will only work for that company for short period of time just for me to pay my bills till i find the right job that match my status not knowing that that is going to be my last job hunting.To cut my story short i found out 70-80% of the custormers that come to the store always ask us that do we know anyone that do flooing installation in cheaper rate we will say no.....one day i went and do research online on how to install wood floor and tile and i found out that is not really that hard as i taught and i started imagine me doing that job for myself but i still have the fear in me because i dont know were to start. But in my company that i work we always build a display board of all the product we have in the store so that custormer can see how nice the product can be in there house,but we have a company that come and build that for us. One day i have to call my boss and tell him that i can start building the displays for the company to save the company some momey he now ask if i know i to install tile and wood floors i boldly tell him yes but in my mind i know i have never done it before but with the little video i have seen on youtube and me wathing this people that come to my place of work to build this displays for us give that courage, as a Nija man we never say no to anything as long as money will come out of it and i started building the display board for the company after some months my boss have to tell the the company that build the displays that we dont need there service no more that were i started using the displays to build up my skill and confidence so when i see any custormer that ask if i know anybody that install wood flooring or tile in cheaper rate i will say yes so i will give them my number not knowing is me that will come and give them quotation when they call me i will go to there house one they see me they will say so is you ...because they meet me in that will give that trust that i really know what am doing ....a year later i now resign from the company to open up my own small business call National Flooring Total Solutions in Atlanta in 2009, i dont just do installation in the United States alone i have now brought the knowledge home to father land Nigeria of which i have done some jobs in Ijebu Ijesha,Ilesha in Osun State,Ibadan, Lagos....i am now planing to open up a trade school in Nigeria in March this year so that i can teach people the easiest and the right way to insall wood foor,marble and tiles the right way in Nigeria.....so that Nigerians can stop giving this Jobs to the togolise so that we can keep the money in our economy....Attach is picture of me working and some picture of my work in Nigeria and America..

5 Likes

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by acorntree(m): 9:22am On Jan 08, 2014
rkarang: Unfortunately, we are looking at this issue from "Naija" perspective. It's only here in Nigeria and some developing countries that 'most' graduates are not productive.

The United States, Germany and some developed countries have a huge number of graduates that are 'highly' productive.

If education is not vital to development, why does Bill Gate sponsor/award scholarship to University Researchers?

Some people have vocational certificates but are not productive at all; some tailors are now "Okada riders". Similarly, some graduates too are now casual workers @ Pure Water Industry etc.

My view is that; to be successful in any career or occupation in life, there are some factors that you need to possess which are very common among today's successful businessmen and women in the world.

What are those factors?
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by nfts0502: 9:30am On Jan 08, 2014
More picture of my work on my facebook page National Flooring Total Solutions...
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by acorntree(m): 9:32am On Jan 08, 2014
nfts0502: To my own view both are good ...learning the right trade is very good ,i use myself as example i left Nigeria in 2001 to United State to study international business the program took me 3years and 8months afer my graduation i started working with Delta Airline as a ticket agent after some years with the company i got fired due to no fault of my own and i was unemployed for some months furtunately i finaly find anothoer job with a company that sale flooring product like Tile,marble,wood floor and more.. to me i taugth i will only work for that company for short period of time just for me to pay my bills till i find the right job that match my status not knowing that that is going to be my last job hunting.To cut my story short i found out 70-80% of the custormers that come to the store always ask us that do we know anyone that do flooing installation in cheaper rate we will say no.....one day i went and do research online on how to install wood floor and tile and i found out that is not really that hard as i taught and i started imagine me doing that job for myself but i still have the fear in me because i dont know were to start. But in my company that i work we always build a display board of all the product we have in the store so that custormer can see how nice the product can be in there house,but we have a company that come and build that for us. One day i have to call my boss and tell him that i can start building the displays for the company to save the company some momey he now ask if i know i to install tile and wood floors i boldly tell him yes but in my mind i know i have never done it before but with the little video i have seen on youtube and me wathing this people that come to my place of work to build this displays for us give that courage, as a Nija man we never say no to anything as long as money will come out of it and i started building the display board for the company after some months my boss have to tell the the company that build the displays that we dont need there service no more that were i started using the displays to build up my skill and confidence so when i see any custormer that ask if i know anybody that install wood flooring or tile in cheaper rate i will say yes so i will give them my number not knowing is me that will come and give them quotation when they call me i will go to there house one they see me they will say so is you ...because they meet me in that will give that trust that i really know what am doing ....a year later i now resign from the company to open up my own small business call National Flooring Total Solutions in Atlanta in 2009, i dont just do installation in the United States alone i have now brought the knowledge home to father land Nigeria of which i have done some jobs in Ijebu Ijesha,Ilesha in Osun State,Ibadan, Lagos....i am now planing to open up a trade school in Nigeria in March this year so that i can teach people the easiest and the right way to insall wood foor,marble and tiles the right way in Nigeria.....so that Nigerians can stop giving this Jobs to the togolise so that we can keep the money in our economy....Attach is picture of me working and some picture of my work in Nigeria and America..

This is excellent. You are developing yourself to be somebody in life. This is where many Nigerian graduates don't get it right. They don't want to learn, just want to be spoon feed. Everything u need is there on the internet. U can learn a lot through youtube videos. I personally learned so many skills using youtube.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by GentleMimi: 9:36am On Jan 08, 2014
@ nfts0502...those are awesome.Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Kitpaul: 9:58am On Jan 08, 2014
Ibadan poly part-time student commits suicide (Photo)

A part-time student of The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Oyo State, Timilehin Ayobami Ogundare, has been found dead in his room in Ilupeju area, Baasala, Asero, Abeokuta, Ogun State.
He was believed to have committed suicide by hanging himself.
Read more:http://www.liveschoolnews.com.ng/ibadan-poly-part-time-student-commits-suicide-photo/
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Nobody: 10:00am On Jan 08, 2014
Yes, you are right, vocational students are really making it especially, the suicide bombers.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by ezzye: 10:37am On Jan 08, 2014
words spoken well.

i believe the mentality is gradually and steadily changing shaa. people are now realising the importance of having a hand-trade

i have a friend who graduated with a 2-1 in Mechanical Engineering from FUTO, after service her father sent her to one big Fashion designing institute to study fashion designing for one good year, his aim - to encourage self reliance....

Great Post my brother, and very educative too
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by funmeme(f): 10:40am On Jan 08, 2014
Karkarash: so are you trying to insinuate that children should shun education and go and learn barbing,tailoring,painting? why dont you start with your kids

Did u go to school at all, Can u read and analyse? If yes then read the post again and comment reasonably.

Regards.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Originalsly: 11:11am On Jan 08, 2014
I do agree there is a mentality problem. I would advise anyone to go as far as they can in academics first....it is the key to success in the 21st century. Very good mechanics of the past didn't even had to know to read nor write...and for that reason can repair cars of the past only...trial and error days are over. The problem with academic graduates is that too many see any vocational job/job below their degree status as being beneath them....and prefer to be jobless even for years. For them half a loaf is not good enough....either the whole loaf or no bread. If offered an all expenses paid auto mechanic course...most academic graduates would turn the offer down simply because mechanics is not a prestigious suit and tie job. Mentality problem period.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by rkarang: 11:57am On Jan 08, 2014
Rudebwoy: Even you OP, your English is fire. I wonder the kind of school we attend these days.

Open said that person who taught them paint-making was throwing "gbagaun " . His (OP) English doesn't sound like that of a graduate either . Pathetic!
Stop this ideal of yours, okay? You're are a pain in the head. Don't you know that we're all imperfect beings? It's high time you stopped this outright nonsen**
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by seunny4lif(m): 12:11pm On Jan 08, 2014
Me no fit write english ooh,if u no understand then leave am like dat...I drop out of school to travel abroad cos my family know say since day one I hate going to school becos all the richest people in the world no dey go school or they are dropout..After my travelling no succeed,I go do my own vocational training in computer engineering and 2day my story don change...Am happy for myself cos I knw my future dey bright....I go get degree when I get time but not nw..Make una go school ooh abeg una....
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by DanielGb(m): 12:25pm On Jan 08, 2014
From what i understand @OP: Education is different from Schooling. Most student today, do the later. On the issue of skills. I will say everybody is gifted but we all need skills in that area of gift to trigger the blessings in it. From the story of the painter @OP, been educated or not-educated does not mean you will be rich. Its two different thing. Making money is all about needs & provision. We need to learn to create wealth and not consume wealth. Money is all about helping people get what they want. An entrepreneur[which is a needed skill] is a problem solver. Either you are educated or not, making money is different. If you want to make it big, stand alone and believe in yourself and God. The school system trains people to be dependent[employees] but if you use your brain and take the courage and determination to do it in a different way, your shoes will sound 'ko ko ka', as a rich and educated man.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by AjanleKoko: 1:50pm On Jan 08, 2014
Sometimes, when you read threads like this, you smell the desperation among young school-leavers in Nigeria. I won't judge you for this, as it's a function of the society we live in. undecided

Generally, the standard of education is very poor in Nigeria, so it's hard to say people who went through the entire 6-3-3-4 route have any advantage whatsoever. In fact, just by reading through this thread, it is clear that our educational system has left many worse off.
Also, the standard of vocational education is very poor. That's why the quality and creativity expected from vocationally-trained people in Nigeria is abysmal. Just look at the finishing of the average residential home anywhere in Nigeria, and you'll see what I mean.

In a nutshell, the white-collar people aren't even fit enough to lead the blue-collar people, who clearly need to be led embarassed
I don't want this to read like a nunc-dimittis, I just want you young people to do three things.

(1.) Assume you don't know anything or haven't learn anything.

(2.) Set out to actually do something with your life, forget every stereotype or programming that the society has given you.
(3.) Desire and push for excellence, whether you want to be a Mikel Obi or a Tiwa Savage. There is always a better standard out there. Don't condemn yourself to what Nigeria accepts, push for more. Else our country will never be great.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lies You Were Told About The University / The History Of ASUU Strike Since 2001 Till Date / Unizik Cut Off Mark (comprehensive List) 2012/2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.