Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:17 PM

Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students (21018 Views)

Non-academic Students On The Rise In Nigerian Universities- NTA / [opinion Poll] Can Teachers’ Dressing Affect Students’ Academic Performance? / Does Seat Position In Class Affect Students' Academic Performance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by pickabeau1: 2:14pm On Jan 08, 2014
impressive.. nfts

Its mostly always about opportunities
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by mikkyokilo: 2:24pm On Jan 08, 2014
I want to sell my Sony Xperia arc S just 4 months old with the original charger usb cord and the phone pack, Already upgraded to 4.04 with BBM. 8MP Camera, HD video recording, 3D sweep panaroma, 3D camera sycnc with the playstation 3 for HD gaming, already rooted with two batteries, a plastic pouch..... For 25000 call me on 08177634209

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by spendogram: 3:05pm On Jan 08, 2014
This is a very important topic.
The labor market like every other market is governed by the laws of demand and supply. Your ability to recognize where the demand is and adapting yourself to supply accordingly is the key to success. If you are stuck with the mentality of "I am a lawyer.So, I must practice my profession" you are not likely to fit in when the demand for lawyers drop drastically. And hey, it happens in any profession or skill type.

The demand pattern for skills is shaped by factors beyond what any individual can control. A new invention, changing weather patterns, changing demographics, government policies,etc are enough to kill the demand for a skill that is currently fetching lots of money. E.g ability to transcribe Morse Codes was a money spinner until when the telephone and other electronic gadgets gained prominence. Knowing where the demand is and adapting (learning new skills) on the go is a skill that is not taught in schools. You must learn it from the school of hard knocks.

Another hypothetical example within auto mechanic vocational job is this :

You are very good at repairing motor bikes and you are making lots of money because of the traffic situation in Lagos as most people prefer to take bikes to get to their destination on time. Lagos state government then bans bikes. The question is will you become a jobless bike repairer and keep wishing/crying that they un-ban it or will you learn new skills required to repair say tricycles?

My main point is that it is not Academic Vs Vocational. It is more like Skill Set Vs Skill set. What skill set are you acquiring? What does the laws of demand and supply say about it now and in the near future?

1 Like

Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Abuklaw(m): 7:12pm On Jan 08, 2014
riskit33: @ OP, you have thrown plenty of gbagaun yourself in the course of your writing. Please do some editing.

@gentlemimi, you'll definitely be banned!
typical attitude of academic qualification freak! Smh
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jan 08, 2014
This post represents my opinion on the topic being discussed.
I posted this article here on nairaland in 2009. While reading through it today, I found that it is still very relevant and decided to repost it. This is the. Excerpt:

IF YOU WANT TO BE RICH AND HAPPY, DON'T STAY IN SCHOOL

Please, read me before making a conclusion, cries the headline!

The topic above is capable of generating serious argument especially among the learned and the so-called "academic gurus".
There is no doubt that education is very important in the life of would-be-successful human being. However, what constitutes education has been misconstrued to be the craze for acquisition of seemingly worthless certificates without corresponding knowledge and skill to really make the desired impact on the economy of this great nation of ours.
Education generally, in Nigeria parlance, has been limited to the four walls of the classrooms of our various conventional educational institutions.
It is always amazing hearing of the large number of graduates being turned out yearly by our tertiary institutions. In spite of this large number of university graduates that are "thrown" into the labour market every year, the nation's economy still remain grossly underdeveloped. What a paradox!.
Greatest Nigerian students! It's time for us to take the bull by the horn and be not limited to the education we get from the four walls of the classrooms. Arise and shine for your progress, achievement, and the sougth after "better life" lie in our ability to do something for ourselves. I am convinced beyond reasonable doubt that Nigeria presents the best opportunity ever in the world! Hey! Here me out before you crucify me! In fact, this is the right time for people outside the shores of this country to begin to die to get visa back to Nigeria. An Indian man once said,"Opportunities are so numerous in Nigeria to the extent that one can practically "pick" cash on the street but Nigerians are too blind to see them".
One of the secrets to your success is for you to get enough education on what your really love to do and turn it to a "money-making-machine". Please, be crazy for this kind of practical and functional education than what you get in the classrooms, then you will always smile to the bank. Everybody has one talent or the other he/she can explore to make money and most especially become fulfilled.
It may interest you to know that I am the only one that has ever gotten a university education in a family of fourteen. This might paint a picture of how poor my background is. It may also interest you to know that I will be going for my youth service by September this year(2009). My recognition of this fact that I am sharing with you paved the way for me. I never went broke in school!.
Please, heed my kind advice and it shall be well with you even if you are a son of a beggar.

You are not asked not to go to school but not to limit yourself to what you were taught in in the four walls of your classrooms!

A word is enough for the wise!

https://www.nairaland.com/1055782/want-rich-happy-dont-stay
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by achi4u(m): 12:52am On Jan 09, 2014
^^^
thanks for sharing.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by nfts0502: 3:00am On Jan 09, 2014
More jobs ...
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by riskit33: 10:48am On Jan 09, 2014
Abuklaw: typical attitude of academic qualification freak! Smh
Guy dont get yourself all worked up wink
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jan 09, 2014
rkarang:
Stop this ideal of yours, okay? You're are a pain in the head. Don't you know that we're all imperfect beings? It's high time you stopped this outright nonsen**

LET A GRADUATE WRITE LIKE A GRADUATE. DON'T PRETEND LIKE NOTHING IS WRONG. IT'S A PROBLEM, LET'S SOLVE IT. OR WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GRADUATE AND THE SO-COLLED UN-EDUCATED?
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by darelar(m): 4:41pm On Jan 09, 2014
Orikinla: From being a tutor and interviewer, I know that majority of vocational students are intellectually re-tarded.
They lack intellectual comprehension.

In education, you are what you have chosen to be. And majority of students in Nigeria are lagging far behind intellectually.
you are wrong cos not every vocational students were retarded as you think. I was once a technician but now a B.sc holder in Comm. Tech and currently studying for M.Sc Info Tech. So don't conclude that every vocational student were not intellect. Some were due to financial constrain while some like to be independent like myself. Nice write up by Op
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by PROVENSOLUTION: 8:28am On Jan 10, 2014
Their is need to marry the too. See the world human capital index. Nigerians have higher IQ than Ghanians. But the Ghanian rate higher than Nigeria in being skillful, innovative, having quality labour force, etc.

Our proposition is giving students/pupils Liberia education based on their brain preference and Non curricular activities based on their personality. all in same school environment be it vocational or no vocational school. If schools take this path. Believe you me. We will be competing with Finland, Switzerland etc in next human capital index report.

Our solution to this is offering profiling service to schools.
Re: Difference In Mentality Of Vocational Students & Academic Students by Nobody: 7:32am On Aug 13, 2018
Actually, one of the major problems troubling the Nigerian economy is the lack of adequate information about the need for skill acquisition training in Nigeria.

Of course, without that, it would be difficult to increase our export potential and consequently the country's economy.

No nation of the world survives by importing alone.

None...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lies You Were Told About The University / The History Of ASUU Strike Since 2001 Till Date / Unizik Cut Off Mark (comprehensive List) 2012/2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.