Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,962 members, 7,810,667 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

Police Harassment: A Corp Member's Account - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Police Harassment: A Corp Member's Account (1175 Views)

My Nigerian Police Harassment Experience! / Is This Sexual Harassment In The Workplace???? / Prof. Kaita, Anti-polio vaccine professor alleges harassment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Harassment: A Corp Member's Account by squaddy(m): 9:43am On Jan 07, 2014
Na wa for Nigerian police o..nothing wey man pikin no go see for naija...wetin remain na make dem dey arrest for looking

On my way to yewa south local government yesterday being the 6th of january for my monthly clearance,I experienced a very bizarre case of intimidation and intention to pin crime on an innocent young man(ME) by men of the nigerian police force

I had just walked past the police station at sango ota just before the ota bridge when two police officers walked up to me brandishing their I.D like I'm one high profile criminal. When I stopped to find out the reason why men of the nigerian police force will choose to stop me out of a traffic of passers by, one of them blurted out rightly the most silly question anybody should ask a guy my age. "We want to know what you do for a living" I looked around to see if anyone I know was playing some sort of trick on me and the other officer blared out "no be you him dey ask?" "I am a corp member returning for my monthly clearance" I answered. I went ahead to show them my NYSC I.D card with a frown on my face cuz I was under the impression that corp members are untouchable. Still under my misguided impression,I angrily said "please be fast cuz I have to return to lagos today"

"You be corper? Na your allowee u take dey wear gold necklace and expensive watch? Wetin u dey use laptop do?". So these jobless officers are looking for internet fraudsters(I thought to myself). "So oga anybody wey carry laptop na yahoo boy? Besides you want make we look like beggars?" At that point two other police officers has joined us and one of them said "I know this guy na..him na yahoo boy" looking at me straight in the eye he asked " abi I lie?" Thunder fire you was the response that crawled up to my throat but I had to swallow it to avoid the slaps and the possibility of these men pinning armed robbery on me so I remained silent and was just staring at them like a lost kid. "Bring your phone make I see" said the one who looks like their leader. I hesitated and thought about standing on my rights at this point cuz obviously these guys has infringed on too many of my God given right but then again I thought against that idea and handed over the phone to them since I have nothing to hide. They went straight to perusing through my browser,facebook,yahoo messenger and saw nothing to incriminate me with cuz at that point it was clear to me that they want to get anything at all with which they can extort cash from me. Then one of them asked me to sign into my email address and that was the last straw that broke the camel's back. Sarcastically I told him that he just caught me and that I recently scammed an american and all the evidence he needs is in my inbox. He looked at me surprisingly and said "you think say we dey play for here? Follow us to the station". At that point I couldn't care less about what they will do to me but I kept on saying "I be corper o!! I be corper o!!" Like I was singing the national anthem in the hope that any NYSC official around the scene would hear my S0S plea and come to my aid. We walked past the gate of the station then they stopped and asked for all the Identification cards in my wallet which I gave to them without hesitation. That was when they noticed my Anti-cult I.D card. Be it out of stupidity or blindness one of them said "so you dey cult when you dey school" Angrily I replied "oga na Anti-cult..I follow fight cultism during my school days...you can call the anti-cult director of Nnamdi azikiwe university to confirm this...I have an I.D signed by the state's commissioner of police". That was when the guy who appears to the the highest ranking officer amongst them smiled sheepishly and said " you for tell us na...na we we...oya give my boys something". I was relieved and angry at the same time but it is better I settle and leave cuz 'I no follow for police matter na 5k'. I reached for my wallet and gave them a 500 naira note with the 'thunder fire you' gaze and stormed out of the station

Nothing wey we no go see...police want make boys dey like beggars sha..this is arrant nonsense I must say and the height of lawlessness cuz as it seems, the police stations all over the country can now be equated to a market place. Please if there is anybody out there who can take up this case against those police officers I strongly recommend they do cuz this is clearly extortion. Now if they had found so much as a picture of eminem or any white male or female on my phone they would have arrested me for internet fraud and I would have paid Hundreds of thousands of naira for something I clearly know nothing about. God bless you all

*drops microphone*
Re: Police Harassment: A Corp Member's Account by debetmx(m): 1:25pm On Jan 07, 2014
You bleep up. I would have giving them nothing
Re: Police Harassment: A Corp Member's Account by squaddy(m): 3:13pm On Jan 07, 2014
debetmx: You bleep up. I would have giving them nothing

And they would have wasted your entire day there or even worse...no try prove law with naija police o
Re: Police Harassment: A Corp Member's Account by debetmx(m): 3:16pm On Jan 07, 2014
squaddy:

And they would have wasted your entire day there or even worse...no try prove law with naija police o

If you are a corper and you no dey do yahoo, you shouldn't have giving them 5H. Anyway like they say all's well that ends well.
Re: Police Harassment: A Corp Member's Account by squaddy(m): 5:01pm On Jan 07, 2014
debetmx:

If you are a corper and you no dey do yahoo, you shouldn't have giving them 5H. Anyway like they say all's well that ends well.

Gbam
Re: Police Harassment: A Corp Member's Account by Gboliwe: 6:25pm On Jan 07, 2014
While this may be funny, it is bad! The attitude of our police is a cancer in the growth of this country.

What a story! May God save us in this country. Upon all the increase in their salary plus freebies and many other things they enjoy, they wont still be responsible.

This is frontpage material.
Re: Police Harassment: A Corp Member's Account by squaddy(m): 6:38pm On Jan 07, 2014
Gboliwe: While this may be funny, it is bad! The attitude of our police is a cancer in the growth of this country.

What a story! May God save us in this country. Upon all the increase in their salary plus freebies and many other things they enjoy, they wont still be responsible.

This is frontpage material.

It is really reprehensible I tell you...a lot of guys has gone down for things they know nothing about...heard a lot of stories about people innocent peeps being framed for crimes they know nothing about and I just had a front row seat of the action
Re: Police Harassment: A Corp Member's Account by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jan 07, 2014
The way I look at them when we approach any check point is just so plain venomous and I'm sure it irritates the life out of them. One couldn't contain it and he told my husband "Oga control this your madam eye o, e go use am put you for trouble"

I'm just tired of them collecting money they never earned!
Re: Police Harassment: A Corp Member's Account by squaddy(m): 8:48pm On Jan 07, 2014
Ada Nri1: The way I look at them when we approach any check point is just so plain venomous and I'm sure it irritates the life out of them. One couldn't contain it and he told my husband "Oga control this your madam eye o, e go use am put you for trouble"

I'm just tired of them collecting money they never earned!

Hahahhaahahahah...abeg control the eye o before them go make do of the threat one day

(1) (Reply)

The Official Nairaland Cabinet | Know Your Nairaland Office Holders. / (then And Now) A Nairalander And His Sister 15years Ago And Now / Every Lady Thinks Am A Player With Just One Look

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.