Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,081 members, 7,821,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

Religion, Politics And The United States - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Religion, Politics And The United States (1051 Views)

Fifteen US States File Petition To Secede From The United States / The United States Is The Only Country That Have Laws For Its Citizens Happiness! / The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion, Politics And The United States by toshmann(m): 6:00pm On Aug 08, 2008
i came to the states a few weeks ago and i have noticed quite a lot. i'll go straight to the point
1. the americans are more religious than the europeans but, why do they have white churches and black churches in this country. that is not the christainity i know. so the races cant mix freely even in churches?

2. why are there "political" pastors/churches? churches are so engaged in politics that pastors endorse politicians. now if 2 different pastors endorse 2 different politicians, on whose side is God, or rather, who is on God's side?

3. now i understand(rightly or wrongly) that many black churches lean towards democratic party. and white churches lean towards republican party. whose report should i believe? pastors even preach about policies and politicians in church.

4. how come the south(a.k.a the bible belt) is so associated with militarism, religion and racism more than the north? i really get confused in this country.

any american in the house? pls come educate toshmann
Re: Religion, Politics And The United States by uspry1(f): 7:58pm On Aug 08, 2008
@toshmann

Wow, let's hold to get my previous posting from other forum answering to your question on American Religion and Politics.

I thought your motherland secondary school teaching you about American history details. Let's me share to entitle my opinions, beliefs, and taught about American Religions & Politics.

Keep in your mind that every Americans have different answers on Religion and Politics depend on where they come from: rural/farming lifestyle, city lifestyle, suburban lifestyle, mountian lifestyle, or motoring (RV, camper, boathouse) lifestyle differently.

Be right back, toshmann!!!
Re: Religion, Politics And The United States by uspry1(f): 8:54pm On Aug 08, 2008
In the USA, we the Americans are aware of not mixing with the state governnments and religion, therefore it stay separatedly, according to the US Constitution laws.

The separation of church and state is a legal and political principle derived from the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . ." The phrase "separation of church and state", which does not appear in the Constitution itself, is generally traced to an 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptists, where Jefferson spoke of the combined effect of the Establishment Clause and the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment. It has since been quoted in several opinions handed down by the United States Supreme Court.

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_church_and_state_in_the_United_States )

Continue next. . .
Re: Religion, Politics And The United States by uspry1(f): 8:57pm On Aug 08, 2008
1. Americans' vs Europeans' religions differently

Are you aware the fact that there are over 200 religions everywhere? Let's look at the major religions of the world ranked by the numbers of adherents at below:

(Sizes shown are approximate estimates, and are here mainly for the purpose of ordering the groups, not providing a definitive number. This list is sociological/statistical in perspective.)

[list]
1.  Christianity: 2.1 billion

2.   Islam: 1.5 billion

3.   Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

4.   Hinduism: 900 million

5.   Chinese traditional religion: 394 million

6.   Buddhism: 376 million

7.   primal-indigenous: 300 million

8.   African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million

9.   Sikhism: 23 million

10.  Juche: 19 million

11.   piritism: 15 million

12.  Judaism: 14 million

13.  Baha'i: 7 million

14.  Jainism: 4.2 million

15.  Shinto: 4 million

16.  Cao Dai: 4 million

17.  Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million

18.  Tenrikyo: 2 million

19.  Neo-Paganism: 1 million

20.  Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand

21.  Rastafarianism: 600 thousand

22.  Scientology: 500 thousand
[/list]

By the way the total adds up to more than 100% due to rounding and because upper bound estimates were used for each group. This is 2005 statistics, so today's religions will be increased differently than what 2005 used to be. [source: http://www.adherents.com]

Specifically the religion in the United States (US) has a history of diversity, due in a large part to the nation's multicultural demographic makeup. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States )

the following is the order of religious preferences in the United States:
[list]
[li]Christian: (76% breakdown below)[/li]
[list]
[O]Protestant (51.3%)
[O]Roman Catholic (23.9%)
[O]Mormon (1.7%)
[O]other Christian (1.6%) [/list]
[li]unaffiliated (12.1%) [/li]
[li]none (4%) [/li]
[li]other or unspecified (2.5%) [/li]
[li]Jewish (1.7%) [/li]
[li]Buddhist (0.7%) [/li]
[li]Muslim (0.6%) [/li]
[/list]

Religion in Europe

Religion in Europe history, and its various faiths have been a major influence on European art, culture, philosophy and law. The majority religion in Europe is Christianity and Islam mainly in the south east, other religions include Hinduism, Buddhism and Judaism exist but in much smaller numbers. Europe being largely a secular region also has the largest number and proportion of irreligious, agnostic and atheistic people in the Western world, with a particularly high number of self-described non-religious people in the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, and Sweden.

See picture about the color-based statistical Europe religion below.

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Europe)

Continue next. . .

Re: Religion, Politics And The United States by uspry1(f): 9:03pm On Aug 08, 2008
2. Churches engage in political where pastors endorse politicians.

My beliefs on bible-faith church where I was taught by my former pastor, he told my congregations that all pastors are not supposed to involved in politic to endore politicians that must be separated but let the pastors educate them(congregations) neutrally---it is you make the decision choosing which politic party you belong. It is between you and God where you strongly believe and have your faithfulness.

I am rural Baptist Christian, but i did not go my former city church much since I moved out last year (2007) August back my rural hometown to leave them (city church) behind. I was certified evangelist, deaf choir member, volunteered deaf bible study teacher, and graphic/computer support ministry to serve God.

Yes, that is the pastor's responsibility to educate them congregations very briefly about the republican party and democratic party but it is your choice, not pastor's choice or God's choice. The same thing pastors educate congregations about issues on health, HIV/AIDS exposure, pre-martial/cohabitations, financial woes, grieving on death/divorce/loss/depression and everything where congregations struggle with their life. Many churches has provide its own counseling services as well as private pastor office by appointments.

Continue next. . .
Re: Religion, Politics And The United States by uspry1(f): 9:07pm On Aug 08, 2008
3. Majority black churches lean on democratic party while white churches lean on republican party.
I disagreed with you, @toshmann about the races of churches lean on which politic party.

The answer on religion and politics is politicians frequently discuss their religion when campaigning, and many churches and religious figures are highly politically active. However, to keep their status as tax-exempt organizations they must not officially endorse a candidate. There are Christians in both the Democratic Party and the Republican Party, but evangelical Christians tend to support the Republican Party whereas more secular voters support the Democratic Party.

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States )

Continue next. . .
Re: Religion, Politics And The United States by uspry1(f): 9:13pm On Aug 08, 2008
4. How come the south (aka the bible belt) associated with the militarism, religion, racism more than the north?

Again, I say about American history class I was taught about the south was the first colonial era in 1607-1776 that was discovered by Europe to escape their religion conflict. The revolution war and Civil Wars broke up spreading out different religions everywhere differently. Let's look at wikipedia about the bible belt in details at below:

The Bible Belt is an informal term for an area of the United States of America in which socially conservative Evangelical Protestantism is a dominant part of the culture. In the United States, it is an idiom for the region where the Southern Baptist Convention denomination is strongest (though many other denominations, such as the Church of Christ and Assemblies of God, can be found there as well)—usually meaning the South and nearby areas.

[center][/center]
Much of the Bible Belt consists of the Southern United States. During the colonial period (1607-1776), the South was a stronghold of the Anglican church. Its transition into a conservative Protestant Bible Belt occurred gradually over the next century, as a series of religious revival movements, many associated with the Baptist denomination, gained great popularity in the region.

The region is usually contrasted with mainstream Protestants and Catholics of the northeast, the religiously diverse Midwest and Great Lakes, the Mormon Corridor in Utah and southern Idaho, and the relatively secular western United States. The percentage of non-religious people is the highest in the northwestern state of Washington at 25%, compared to the Bible Belt state of Alabama, where it is 6%.[2]

The earliest known usage of the term "Bible Belt" was by American journalist and social commentator H.L. Mencken, who wrote:

The old game, I suspect, is beginning to play out in the Bible Belt.

– [3]Chicago Daily Tribune, November 19, 1924

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt)

Unchurch belt:

By constrast, the term Unchurched Belt refers to a region in the far Western United States that has low rates of religious attendance. The term derives from Bible Belt and the notion of the unchurched.

States that are generally agreed to belong in the region include Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington. Demographic patterns do not always break down along state lines. California cities and counties such as Los Angeles and San Francisco may be included, as are most of Arizona and Nevada. Despite some influence from evangelicals and Mormons, the western regions of Idaho, Montana and possibly Colorado may also be included, and some Northeastern United States regions like New York City and certain parts of New England were said to be unchurched.
(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unchurched_Belt)
Re: Religion, Politics And The United States by uspry1(f): 9:31pm On Aug 08, 2008
Be aware about dangerous opposition of religion (secular cults).

That why American are so crazy movements as you fall into wrong crowd/group/people.

The opposition to cults and new religious movements(NRMs), that comes from several sources with diverse concerns. Some members of the opposition have associations with cult-watching groups which collect and publish critical information about one or multiple groups they consider cults. Other opposition comes from traditional religion (notably the Christian countercult movement), from secular cult-critics, from skeptics, and from critical former members (sometimes referred to in literature as apostates).

Please read the further details at below source.

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposition_to_cults_and_new_religious_movements)
Re: Religion, Politics And The United States by SeanT21(f): 10:11pm On Aug 08, 2008
God Info Uspry!!! Nice READ!!!
Re: Religion, Politics And The United States by MandingoII(m): 7:07pm On Aug 09, 2008
I don't believe in Dogma.

Most politicians encourage people to be religions - but are NOT religious themselves.

Check on it.

Religion is a way of humbling the masses WHILE the corrupt and greedy make off like a bandit.

Check on it.
Re: Religion, Politics And The United States by toshmann(m): 7:53pm On Aug 09, 2008
@uspry

thanx a lot.
Re: Religion, Politics And The United States by darfur(m): 2:45pm On Aug 11, 2008
toshman

one day i'll show you with bible quotations and contemporary statistical analysis why the republican party policies are closer to the devil than to christ. i'll come when i'm ready with my facts.

i'll also let you know why you are wrong in supporting the republicans simply because they are anti-abortion.

see u later
Re: Religion, Politics And The United States by toshmann(m): 3:34am On Aug 12, 2008
i'll wait patiently for you

(1) (Reply)

The Terrorist On World Trade Centre! (1+1) / British Defense Minister Sacked For Opposing Israeli Strike On Iran / Madhiba Is Dead?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.