Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,087 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

English Or Native Name, Which Should Be A Child's First Name! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / English Or Native Name, Which Should Be A Child's First Name! (3485 Views)

Why Did You Cut Your Child's First Hair? / Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Or Native Name, Which Should Be A Child's First Name! by kennyslim1(m): 11:52am On Jan 08, 2014
Hi NL'ners

I'm having this arguments with my friends and gf about the first names of our kids...she was of the opinion that an English name is better than a Native ones due to the fact its more easy to pronounce and I was like a Native name because shows the tribe of the child and promote it too.

So, am asking you guys, what's your take on this mater and your points will be well appreciated too.
Re: English Or Native Name, Which Should Be A Child's First Name! by vanhelsing2099(m): 11:54am On Jan 08, 2014
Re: English Or Native Name, Which Should Be A Child's First Name! by whitemosquito(f): 1:06pm On Jan 08, 2014
Native o! Native first, then maybe english. These 'english name' thing started when the White man came with colonialism and church baptism. I have nothing against the White man but its good to understand the origin of a matter before subscribing to it. The White man insisted that all Africans who become baptized into the church be christened with English names. This was part of the process of Indoctrinisation under the guise of "our native names were to difficult to pronounce". Its interesting how we raise our hackles and condemn the White man/colonization but we subtly accept all the little bits of lies he told us. I have a native name only and Im Absolutely PROUD of it. Unfortunately for me tho, I dont know how to speak my language, but ask me about my name and you can get a thesis dissertation from me. I dont use an english name, and I often insist on calling friends by their native names.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: English Or Native Name, Which Should Be A Child's First Name! by pickabeau1: 2:28pm On Jan 08, 2014
no be u n wify get pikin
na two of una go choose name na,,,

una don even talk of engagement matter, diaper matter or u don even give the girl belle..

make the pikin show first...
Re: English Or Native Name, Which Should Be A Child's First Name! by Roda94(f): 4:22pm On Jan 08, 2014
Pick a name that has meaning. It is not even compulsory that the child must have an English name. It is only colonialism that brought that about. Why should you care if people cannot pronounce the name? That is not a valid reason to pick an English name. It's a rather paltry excuse. Having said that picking a traditional name does not now mean that you are more 'in touch' with your culture. Culture goes deeper than names alone. Just choose a name that you know what it means, you like it and you also like the sound of it. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: English Or Native Name, Which Should Be A Child's First Name! by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 08, 2014
With my very long last and middle name, i still had to bring out my card in the bank a few minutes ago when i couldn't keep saying 'O as in orange'. I love native names but for the sake of worldwide tinz, it's a nice Englih name plus a short native name. The long names can come after! Do you know how tiring it is to wanna spell your name on phone to a company agent and you start saying 'M' as in mango undecided

Anywayz, to each their own!
Re: English Or Native Name, Which Should Be A Child's First Name! by Emmyk(m): 6:43pm On Jan 08, 2014
Place the two side by side. cheesy

LOL. Native of course!
Re: English Or Native Name, Which Should Be A Child's First Name! by Ballotti: 6:58am On Jan 09, 2014
English name ke?
Tufiakwa!
English is already the first and only language. . . why add insult to injury? angry

(1) (Reply)

Why do people travel abroad and then feel entitled to everything? / Please Save A Soul: / What Would You Do If You Visited Your Married Sister And Met Her This Way?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.