Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

Two Sarakis Fighting Over Kwara Governorship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Two Sarakis Fighting Over Kwara Governorship (827 Views)

Judge’s Bid To Stop Saraki’s Trial Thwarted, DSS Director Rallies To Sarakis Aid / Buhari, Two Sarakis And The Missing 2.8bn Naira / PDP Set To Take Over Kwara – Oyedepo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Sarakis Fighting Over Kwara Governorship by lucabrasi(m): 1:01am On Aug 10, 2008
You have not been in the news lately, how far have you gone with your case? Some people have connived to frustrate the judicial process.

It is over nine months since the judgement was given, but they are not obeying the court order. I wonder where is the rule of law in this country. The appeal court ordered that the panel be reconstituted, but that is yet to be, after nine months.

What really led to that judgement?The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) excluded my name from the ballot paper as the governorship candidate of the Progressive Peoples Alliance (PPA) and we filed a petition before the Election Petitions Tribunal sitting in Ilorin, challenging my exclusion. But curiously enough and without hearing the petition, the tribunal struck out my petition in a ruling delivered on July 31, 2007 on the premise that my party and I lacked the locus standi to file the petition.

We pursued the matter to the Court of Appeal in Ilorin. Thank God, they gave us this judgement (displaying a copy of the court order). After looking into the merit of my petition, the court delivered judgment on November 2, 2007 allowing my appeal and ordered that the petition be retried on its merit by a differently-constituted tribunal. After nine months, what do we have? It is curious. A man who is considered as the custodian of the law finds it difficult to simply interprete and implement the law. If the President of the Court of Appeal, who is learned and well informed in matters of the law, doesn’t know what to do in this matter, then it must be clearer that the taxi driver, carpenter and their families must be in a state of utter bewilderment.

What could be responsible for this?It is corruption and it is the handiwork of people in my family, my father and my brother. We will not win the battle against corruption unless we win it at the level of values, discipline and the rule of law. They have turned Kwara into a slave camp and I am out to reverse the trend, so they are jittery. Kwara is what Yorubas call, abule mu won leru (slave camp).They are the ones working with Abdullahi to stop the whole thing, but they will fail. Nine months after that judgement, you may wonder, Abdullahi has not deemed it fit to set up the new panel to hear my case.

When the poor and the weak transgress the law, the full weight of the law, through its punitive mechanism, is crushingly brought to bear on them, but when a Senator, a governor, the powerful, the mighty and the rich offend the law, they do so with relish without the mildest punitive reaction from the enforcers.

My counsel has written several letters to Justice Abdullahi to see reason, why he should carry out the court order, but he is not attending to us. Apart from the efforts of my counsel, other groups have appealed to Justice Abdullahi to hasten the setting up of the panel. The All Parties Congress, an umbrella organisation for thirteen opposition political parties in Kwara State have appealed but Abdullahi is deliberating not doing anything. And I know it is what my brother wants, but they will fail, because I won’t stop until I get justice, until my people are liberated.

How do you hope to achieve that?I will keep talking. It is my right and Justice Abdullahi’s refusal to ensure justice in this matter will rub off on his integrity. I want to implore the National Judicial Council (NJC), the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA), the West African Bar Association (WABA) and the media to wade into this matter in the interest of justice and fair play. This is wickedness and subversion of justice. The oversight personages and institution were established not only to safeguard the high principles of law and justice but also to serve as a prophylactic of wrong doings in any chamber or by any officer of law.

A judge without passion for justice is the ultimate evil to the society and a great threat to the growth of democracy. We can only win by showing that our values are stronger and better than the alternative. We must show the world that we are fair in our application of the rule of law.The people of this great country have long yearned for a genuine self governance, but the tragedy in this whole exercise is that those seeking to destroy democracy appear to be fighting for legitimate aims while its defenders are pictured as repressive reactionaries.

But your party has a working relationship with the PDP at the federal level.Yes, we even have a Minister in President Umaru Yar’Adua’s cabinet, in the person of Udom, but that is not to say we should sell our conscience. We have told them, as far as Kwara is concerned, we shall continue to fight. The situation in Abia is different from Kwara. Despite the agreement, didn’t PDP take PPA to court in Abia and Imo states? We have taken it upon ourselves, because our peculiarity differs from other states.

How about the other parties?Some are in the struggle with us. Serious ones that are not in government, the ones we call All Party Congress (APC) are with us and we are working together. But there are those that have constituted themselves into CNPP, who are looking for bread and butter. They take stipends from the government, but we are not hungry people. We are not looking for that type of money, what we desire is good governance in Kwara State.

You spoke about slavery, where is that in this age?The people of Kwara State have lived through some tumultuous decades of human history. They have also experienced the worst elections so far in the history of the state. Bukola continues to enslave them, after my father transferred power to him. What else will you call it? People greeted the election tribunal with great hope and high expectations, they said the judiciary is the bastion of democracy, they said the judges will restore confidence in the electoral process. But what do we have? Bukola and Abdullahi trying to stop what God has destined.

If it is not slavery, then what else? Look at the way they killed Societe Generale Bank. People’s hard-earned money was made to go down the drain, the ordinary, poor, market women and petty traders lost all their money in that bank and you are saying there is no slavery. Slavery is visible in Kwara.

Are you angry because of the rumour that Dr. Olusola Saraki has allegedly denied being your father? They can never contest that. I am a full-fledged Saraki, born by Chief Abubakar Olusola Saraki. My father has never and can never come out openly to disown me. I have challenged him to a DNA test several times, but I know he knows the truth, so, he won’t talk.

It was Bukola who called the media and said I am not a Saraki, not my father. I have no business with Bukola, let my father come out and say that.

It is true that my father and mother got divorced, but that does not change my paternity. My father is Olusola Saraki, he sent me to Britain in 1989, the British High Commission has confirmed that. If Bukola is not comfortable with being my step-brother, he can as well change his own paternity or go to hell for all I care.

It was my brother, Bukola that is threatened by my popularity, as such he came up with that story. I challenge him to a DNA test.

Look at the two of us and see who is better placed in terms of resemblance to our father. My father trained me, he sent me to UK and he recognises me as his daughter. It is true that he divorced my mother, but that is not my own problem. I repeat, if Bukola is not comfortable with me being his step-sister, he can renounce the family name. I am Oyinkansola, daughter of Dr. Abubakar Olusola Saraki.

Are you relating with your father?Our relationship is like the normal father and daughter relationship. But that won’t stop me from speaking the truth.

How about your brother?As for my brother, he thinks he is clever. If you enter Ilorin, you will notice beautification with flowers, and you will say oh, Ilorin is fine, but it is all crap. If you go to other local governments, you will be shocked. I am not saying he should not beautify but is that what will provide jobs and food for the masses?

Is it flower that the people will eat? How many companies has he built with his so-called knowledge. He brought some Zimbabwean farmers to deceive people, have you heard anything of them again? What exactly has he done? You cannot do anything in Kwara today because of Bukola. People are afraid, Bukola will do this, will do that. Let him come out and contest again. Bukola knows, if there is a re-election, I will beat him hands down.

When I decided to contest, we held a meeting. I was with him in his office and after our discussion, he looked at his wrist watch, and said this is 3pm, the next flight out of Lagos is 5pm, you must be on that plane because I can’t guarantee your safety, that was what he told me. He was threatening me to leave the state. Wait till I become the governor and Kwarans will see the difference, we will make changes when we get to power.

Is this not a family ploy to crop you up after your brother’s tenure?Never, I am not like them. I am a God-fearing person, I cannot connive with them to enslave the people of Kwara State. I have gone against them because they are not doing what is right and just. I am here to stop the oppression and slavery of the people. I can’t work with them. I have tried to change them but they are hardened.

How do you expect me to work with those kind of people? Never. I fear God and I have children and I dont want a curse on my children.
http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

another family feud this time from the sarakis, nigerian we hail thee grin grin grin
Re: Two Sarakis Fighting Over Kwara Governorship by joshjosh(m): 1:05am On Aug 10, 2008
Lord have mercy
Re: Two Sarakis Fighting Over Kwara Governorship by MP007(m): 2:42am On Aug 10, 2008
abule mu won le ru, this is a voluntary slave camp, y'all invited
Re: Two Sarakis Fighting Over Kwara Governorship by noetic(m): 6:17pm On Aug 10, 2008
very intreasting. . . . . . .
Re: Two Sarakis Fighting Over Kwara Governorship by lucabrasi(m): 5:17pm On Aug 12, 2008
funny thing is the girl even insulting her dad as well,i hope all kwarans know by now that their state is a private family business,and it just remains for them to start buying shares, thats if they r allowed lol
Re: Two Sarakis Fighting Over Kwara Governorship by c33b33(m): 6:48pm On Aug 12, 2008
Lets forget about the family cartel of a thing.But y has Justice Abdulaih not set up another panel to look into her case after 9months?
And to Miss Sariki,how on earth does she think she'll win a rerun election,as for me i think she wants to 'dash' her half-brother another fresh tenure.
This is a form of PRIDE btw them![the tone of d interview says it all]
Re: Two Sarakis Fighting Over Kwara Governorship by airegin: 7:09pm On Aug 12, 2008
Let them kill each other. Who cares?
Re: Two Sarakis Fighting Over Kwara Governorship by idupaul: 5:17pm On Aug 13, 2008
Heard every body from illorin is a saraki grin

(1) (Reply)

I Wish Nigeria Luck — Obasanjo / Nigeria Is Corrupt; What Of You? / About Obasanjo's Interview On Hardtalk In London: Does Nigerian System Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.