Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,013 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

Richest Black Woman - Modupe Alakija- Denies Interest In Lagos Governorship Post - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Richest Black Woman - Modupe Alakija- Denies Interest In Lagos Governorship Post (3250 Views)

Fayose Suspends SSG, Modupe Alade, Orders HOS To Oversee Office / Modupe Ozolua Visits Communities Destroyed By Boko Haram / Results Of Lagos Governorship, House Of Assembly Polls -vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Richest Black Woman - Modupe Alakija- Denies Interest In Lagos Governorship Post by Jiganakala: 2:39pm On Jan 10, 2014
[img][img][/img][img] Posters of the richest black woman on earth according to Forbes in 2013 has been seen some areas of Lagos particularly in Ikorodu and Alausa Secretariat in relations to Lagos State governorship post in 2015 election. She has however denied her interest in politics. Even if she is interested, the politics of APC under the control of Tinubu will probably scuttle that ambition unless he approves that and the party seems to be the only one that can guarantee her ambitions if she however expresses interest.
[img][/img]

Africa’s richest woman, Folorunsho Alakija has disowned the posters advertising her interest in the Lagos Governorship election in 2015.

Alakija in a statement urged the people to ignore whatever they may have read purportedly portraying her as a governorship aspirant.

According to the statement,”It has come to my notice, that there are posters and fliers being circulated in Ikorodu and other parts of Lagos State announcing me as a Governorship aspirant.

“This is not true and I hereby confirm that I have no such intentions. Therefore, I disassociate myself from any persons or group of persons, posters or fliers in circulation about me contesting for governorship.

“I have been paying attention to my calling from God to look after widows and orphans through The Rose of Sharon Foundation and I am also in service most importantly to God’s work as a Minister of his Word through His Ministry committed to us as the Rose of Sharon Glorious Ministry International.

“God has not called me into politics and I have never been involved in politics. Please ignore whatever you may have read purportedly portraying me as a governorship aspirant.

Her posters were this morning seen at the Lagos State Government Secretariat, Alausa inviting people to support her ambition for the governorship seat.

The caption on the posters read: “2015: Vote Folorunsho Alakija for Governor.” The posters did not specify Alakija’s political will be contesting.

It could also not be ascertained if the posters emanated from her as efforts to get her to comment on issue proved abortive at press time.

Calls made to her phone was picked by a white man who said she was in a meeting and that she would call back after the meeting, but she never did.

Alakija is seen by many as a woman of impeccable character and one that could provide the needed leadership to move Lagos forward, but with the dominant All Progressives Congress, APC, in power in Lagos, it is doubtful if she can achieve her aspiration outside the party.

In 2013, Forbes named Alakija as the richest black woman on earth as she defeated the television show-host and actress, Oprah Winfrey. By November, 2013, Forbes put her net worth at $2.5 billion. But by January 2014 her net worth had skyrocketed to $7.3 billion courtesy Mail of UK, beating Oprah Winfrey whose net worth is now $2.9 billion to the second place.

She worked as a secretary in a Nigerian Merchant bank in the 1970s and later left to study fashion design in England. She subsequently founded Supreme Stitches, a Nigerian fashion label that catered for upscale clientele, including the late Maryam Babangida, wife of Nigeria’s former military Head of State, General Ibrahim Babangida.

It was during the reign of Babangida that her company Famfa Oil got an oil prospecting license which went on to become OML 127, one of Nigeria’s most prolific oil blocks. Famfa Oil owned a 60% stake in the block until 2000, when then President Olusegun Obasanjo acquired a 50% interest in the block. Famfa Oil went to court to challenge the acquisition, and the Nigerian Supreme Court reinstated the 50% stake to Famfa Oil in May 2012.

Her 60 per cent stake in the block is currently valued at around $7.3 billion, Ventures Africa reported.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/africas-richest-oil-baron-alakija-denies-interest-lagos-governorship-race-pm-news-lagos

Re: Richest Black Woman - Modupe Alakija- Denies Interest In Lagos Governorship Post by lilytender: 8:48pm On Jan 10, 2014
A Yoruba woman owning oil blocks. Is there oil in her father's land? This is one of the people looting Nigeria without holding political office. Oil blocks shoul be owned by the government and not individuals who don't have oil in their father's land. She is not just world richest black but also world's richest black criminal.

1 Like

Re: Richest Black Woman - Modupe Alakija- Denies Interest In Lagos Governorship Post by simpleseyi: 11:36pm On Jan 10, 2014
So, Mariam Babangida awarded oil blocks to her fashion designer, well with all the money this Mrs Alakija and Mariam Babangida embezzled, the looted money could not save Mariam Babangida fron Mr Death. In Nigeria and all over the world looters like Mrs Alakija are celebrated, Oil money that belongs to the masses is being looted by this Mrs Alakija thru oil blocks, I wonder why any human being will be allocated oil block that should be for the people. God is watching.

(1) (Reply)

Ango Abullahi To The South: Keep Your Oil, We'll Keep Our Land / Most Popular Names In Nairaland / Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.