Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria (5492 Views)

Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? / Fidelity Bank, Best Bank To Work For In Nigeria – Survey / Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by komekn(m): 4:17pm On Aug 12, 2008
Anivara,
It’s hard to make a risk assessment without some kind of idea of what you are doing specifically; oil and gas sector encompasses so many varied and diverse tasks and professions. I know a guy who is white British and ex SAS he is a security consultant (do not know the details) and he has not complained.

I have another guy in Warri he’s white Scottish and he has been there for near twenty years working for an oil company, and refuses to leave.

The other thing is, I don’t like to talk about it but it does exist, what part of Nigeria you are from “all that son/ daughter
of the soil” business can have a direct impact on how your treated and you’re your safety.  You have to ask yourself how versatile you are, and as you probably know the word sexism does not exist here.

I can empathise with you but then I am very, very, versatile.   Would I do it it’s hard to say without knowing the bigger picture and not just my pay packet.
undecided
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Anivara: 5:28pm On Aug 12, 2008
@ Kiwi992,

If you feel the expats that work in the Niger-Delta can't get work when they get back to the UK then I think you need to re-check your facts. The UK is not the dying horse you seem to think it is. The oil and gas sector is doing very very good business, and the jobs are out there believe me I know.

I believe i said , " other UK exports are more affordable keeping the economy ticking over,  (China and Indian economies have slowed) but are still growing, and where do they get the fuel for growth Europe !   that is NOT the same as saying they are doing better, i'm just pointing out that the UK is still able to conduct buiness with the East to keep the economy moving. I never said the UK got its fuel for growth from Europe,

Ahhh then you ask ,   "where do you expect the European countries to turn to, for their insatiable demand for oil?  Iraq or the Niger Delta?      errrrrm bro, for August 2008 Nigeria only the 13th largest oil exporter in the world. And with Total Usan not coming online till Q3 2010, Total Akpo still not online and  the all too frequent disruptions on Bonga, they are only going to slide even further down that list. Again check the facts,  Niger Delta oil is important but lets keep it in perspective,

As for the pipeline war currently raging in Georgia. 

Friend, Russia has ALWAYS had a stranglehold on the supply of gas & crude oil in Europe, not so much in the UK for crude but, with north sea crude declining our imports are up. (But it many not always be this way EDF may still buy British Energy and we'll all go nuclear)

The Port of Poti has not been destroyed it has been blocked by Russsia cutting of Georgian imports, no doubt a blow to the Arab development deal and to the people of Poti. But not an esential location to the current BTC pipeline.

BTC already takes its oil from the Caspian Sea in Baku in Azerbaijan through Tbilisi in Georgia to then to Turkey. and it already sells to Europe,  The only way Georgia can disrupt European supplies is to destroy the pipeline going through Tbilisi, but if they did that it would be domestic suicide as its the same line that supplies Georgia,  again check your facts.

Finally As for me and my 'so-called cushy job'  I thank you for your best wishes,

regards
Ai
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by tpia: 6:31pm On Aug 12, 2008
this kiwi and his friend- abeg leave the guy alone. Its his luck if he's making that much money, and no need for the griping and bad belle because of it. What do you want people to do? if Nigerians vacate the Niger delta, foreigners will still move in if they want to.  Militancy isnt the only way to handle this kind of situation.

Me sef if they offer me job I will go there. Let someone whose head isnt screwed on correctly, try to attack or kidnap me- we'll see what happens when we wear the same trouser.

If some fascist dictator rises from Zimbabwe, Russia ,China or whereever and just invades the entire region and takes over the whole thing, what will the so-called militants do? Una never see storm and fire. Bush invaded Iraq- has anything happened to him as a result of it.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:40pm On Aug 12, 2008
@poster

Connect me please, i will do the job, just fix me in, even though its 10 pounds daily, i will do the job,please.[size=8pt][/size]
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by blissfullynaughty: 4:22am On Aug 13, 2008
All the Nger Delta people always scream about not getting the money from oil. But they conveniently forget that even the "so called little" that is given still does not end up at the grassroot. I do not see them constantly attacking Peter Odili, Deprieye Alamieyeseigha, and even the current VP Jonathan Goodluck (and the others) for the billions that was allocated to their states which was embezzelled. Why don't you guys strip those rogues of their ill-gotten wealth? If Nigeria was not corrupt nation full of greedy thieves, the 13% that would accrue to oil producing areas under the principle of derivation would be more than enough for such areas.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by sexibabes: 10:56am On Aug 13, 2008
there is nothing wrong with the offer.contact me to be your Personal Assistant, m dead serious
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by Allta(m): 2:38pm On Aug 13, 2008
I will comment based on the title of your post: even £1m a day is not worth working in a risk infected region. Your family based overseas is not even enough to discourage you from the £900 a day. Ok, ask yourself, why do you want it so badly that you came up to Nairaland and post such a critical information about your career. Maybe it's not really the money, maybe it's the Nigerian part of you calling for a way back home, afterall, you had a similar offer elsewhere in iRAQ etc., so, my humble advice is come home , there is no place like Naija (ie. if you're truly black as you claim, forget the accent, that will change with time) Top Life can be boring at times, but except if you're over 50, if you're younger than 50 , you should seriously consider this offer, not for the money, but the opportunity it brings , the connections, the contacts, the exposure, etc. What about the Militants, you may ask , well, exactly , WHAT ABOUT THEM?

I'm yet to ask anywhere when militants killed a foreign citizen, abduction is bad and it doesn't happen to every white here in NigerDelta. if you earn N200,000 pday, then save some N50m in the bank just in case for yourself. Take the risk, life is full of risks , what's the chances that you'll still be alive tomorrow? Omo man, enjoy your today! Let tomorrow sort itself out
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by pennystuck: 8:06pm On Aug 13, 2008
There's definitely nothing wrong, I live here
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by ayobase(m): 4:35pm On Aug 14, 2008
just pray and be directed by God!!
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by oludunamis(m): 3:29am On Aug 17, 2008
@anivara

Am in same industry as you and i know similar people in your shoes. its important that your family is happy with the move. About safety, where ever you are only God can protect, I have tons on friends working there and they are even declining offers here in the UK

I wish you God's best in your decision

Cheers
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by charitynel: 3:53pm On Aug 17, 2008
Oga! the pay is good. Just take it. Your wife and kids will understand you have to make money.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by dgratrock: 12:03am On Aug 26, 2008
d way una dey look d Niger delta na wa o! if them say make u come there no mean say them dey send you go your obituary. na people dey live there. na federal government and the press dey make am look like say na death zone. my brother i beg come see for yourself say Nigeria delta dey cooleh for body
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by BOSS7: 3:31pm On Oct 16, 2008
@ poster of this thread,

You are a Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar Liar,
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by kokorunna(m): 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2008
I believe you can get paid more than and If I was in your field I know how much I will ask for.
Re: Is £900 A Day The Right Reason To Work In Nigeria by vezycash(m): 12:00pm On Aug 24, 2009
if you really want your family to suffer and pay some high ransom, go ahead.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Okay To Walk Out Of A Job Interview? / Apprenticeship Vs. Internship: What Makes Sense For Your Company / 5 Best Freelance Transcription Websites That Pay Through Payoneer For Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.