Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,980 members, 7,952,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:56 AM

Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University (2488 Views)

My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 / Your Advice: Lecturing Or Banking Job. / PWC Recruitment For Experience Banking Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University by Goldmann(m): 1:12pm On Aug 15, 2008
Hi comrades, Please i need some KNOWLEDGEABLE advice on a very pressing issue,
I'm roundin up my Nysc in less than a month and. I'm considering doin a Masters in Finance at Freeman school of Business, Tulane University.
The business school is ranked no. 10 in the US (for FINANCE). MY question is : How easy is it to get an Investment Banking job preferably in New York after my degree? also how easy is it to make my stay in the US permanent after my studies? I'm considering taking a VERY LARGE LOAN to finance my degree so im going to need a high payin US Job to b able to pay bak, Is this gamble a wise one?
STRICTLY KNOWLEDGEABLE CONTRIBUTIONS PLEASE!!!
Re: Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University by MrCrackles(m): 1:25pm On Aug 15, 2008
Employment are not just dished out because you did a masters, it is fairly competitive and you have to work hard
It is not a gamble, if you invest a large amount of money in your studies, you are not gambling but you need to know what you are doing in order
to make the investment a worthy one. There are people who studied abroad and got good grades, but the fierce nature of recruitment and country-specific restrictions makes it impossible to say to determine the outcome of you getting a job wherever you studied.

You just need to know what you are doing, ask yourself if you can deliver and believe in yourself but be realistic and have a plan B!
NewYork is one of the most bubbling hub of financial banking and investments, loads of prospective indegenous and non-indegenous students aspire to be part of the industry, so you would be competing with them all. You can never tell how easy it would be as it comes down to your preparedness, adaptation, opportunities available, hardwork, luck and recruitment awareness!

US laws and immigration are amended regularly, there are options to make your stay permanent by either getting a job legally(with a work permit), work illegally, overstay(and hide your way through), marrying a US citizen amongst many other options BUT be warned the road is only smoother if your intentions are genuine and if the option you choose it is legitimate.
Re: Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University by kadman(m): 8:26pm On Aug 15, 2008
@ Goldmann

Wow, We have the same dreams ! Seriously,I've been dreaming of working on Wall Street for years !
I don't know anything about your ability to stay in US after grad,but the school you wanna go is very prestigious so I'm postitive you should get a job in US,and everything happens in NY baby. There are also some Top Business Schools in US & UK who are assure you of them getting you a job / recurtiment after graduation, sort of like Lagos Bus School does.

The list of 50 best business schools in the world - check all their websites -

http://rankings.ft.com/executive-education---open

Finance is also a good course, but much too hard for my head, I plan to do my Msc in Management.

I also saw a post you made about GMAT. Do you still info about it ?
, And yeah I agree with your signature money is everything. Weird to meet someone exactly like me ! shocked
Re: Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University by Goldmann(m): 9:00pm On Aug 15, 2008
@ Kadman
Ure now officially my new BEST FRIEND!! Im so glad ive found another AMBITIOUS wall street fan! From my user name, Goldmann (coined from Goldman Sachs) u can tell that im absolutely obsessed.
I actually took and murdered the GMAT in Abuja in May, To the glory of God i had a total of 740(97th%) wit 49(89th%) in quant,42(95th%) in Verbal and a perfect 6.0(89th%) in the Analytical Writing Assessment,
I actually applied to Cass Business School in London for the Msc in Investment Management but it seems my 740 isnt good enough for the imperialist pricks! i was denied admission!
So basically thats y im considering the States cos they appreciate GMAT SCORES more and they also hav foundation courses in a number of schools for pple wit unrelated first degrees like me (Bsc Geography) Univ of Ibadan
Lets keep in touch PAL, we might need each other someday, See u very soon on WALL STREET! Amen!
Re: Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University by kadman(m): 9:35pm On Aug 15, 2008
@ Goldman

Hi Best Friend,
What ! They refused you with 740 GMAT ?? Darn,I think it wasn't about the GMAT,but because of your first degree, don't mind the as*es.
I plan to apply to Cranfield School Of Management UK for Msc in Marketing,I'm aiming for a 650 GMAT ( The require 550 ). My luck is my first degree is business related - Insurance. I plan to apply for Sept 2009. I don't know much about US Student visa,that's why I didn't bother.

If you still like UK,there are other great Business Schools ( Check that list I gave you ), But most importantly DO NOT waste that amazing GMAT score. I know you'll get into a good UK/US school. And more imortantly focus on the letter you write to the school,believe me it's as important as your GMAT.
We really should keep in touch man. I'll buy you coffee at Starbucks on 5th Ave, Upper East Side.
We're taking Wall Street by storm next 2 years. What you think lol.
Re: Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University by Goldmann(m): 10:17am On Aug 16, 2008
Ill hold u to the starbucks coffee offer wen we get there, Just pick me up at 85 Broad Street, (Goldman Sachs New York, H.Q).Im confident I wont even hav 2 reapply next year, The same Cass business School fellows that rejected me will surely reconsider, Ive got unshakable faith in God, the Lord most high for whom absolutely nothin is impossible!! Peace bro
Re: Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University by MrCrackles(m): 10:19am On Aug 16, 2008
Goldmann:

@ Kadman

I actually applied to Cass Business School in London for the Msc in Investment Management but it seems my 740 isnt good enough for the imperialist pricks! i was denied admission!

watch your mouth on what you say about CASS Business School, I AM AN ALUMNI! grin
Re: Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University by Goldmann(m): 12:59pm On Aug 16, 2008
Sorry 2 hurt ur feelings man,
Im in awe of Cass but I cant help bein a bit sore about the fact that a 740/800 wasnt sufficient to get me in even tho they specified that a GMAT score would b required for those with non-finance backgrounds, their GMAT requirement for their MBA program is 600!!! Wot more could i possibly do? Ur school broke my heart,
Re: Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University by IncaGold(m): 7:12pm On Aug 17, 2008
@Kadman,
You don't need gmat for Cranfield Msc Marketing. I'm a hundred and fifty percent sure of that! Why not the Finance programme?

http://rankings.ft.com/global-mba-rankings
the executive education ranking is quite different. MBA ranking provide a better assessment of business schools
Re: Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University by MrCrackles(m): 8:46am On Aug 18, 2008
Goldmann:

Sorry 2 hurt your feelings man,
I'm in awe of Cass but I can't help bein a bit sore about the fact that a 740/800 wasnt sufficient to get me in even tho they specified that a GMAT score would b required for those with non-finance backgrounds, their GMAT requirement for their MBA program is 600!!! Wot more could i possibly do? your school broke my heart,

no u didnt hurt my feelings
i just feel there must have been other reasons why u werent offered a place because ur scores were good!
the reason for denying you admission is definitely not because of your GMAT scores, there are other important criterias taken into consideration and if you didnt measure up, then that is the reason or maybe they had other candidates with better overall ratings!CASS business skool is very competitive to be honest and admission criteria is quite strict!but not to worry, u wld definitely get something good

goodluck
Re: Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University by kadman(m): 11:33am On Aug 18, 2008
IncaGold:

@Kadman,
You don't need gmat for Cranfield Msc Marketing. I'm a hundred and fifty percent sure of that! Why not the Finance programme?

http://rankings.ft.com/global-mba-rankings
the executive education ranking is quite different. MBA ranking provide a better assessment of business schools

Yes,GMAT score is not needed,but it helps your application. They get candidates from schools all over the world,a lot of countries with educational system better than Nigeria's. I've talked to them and asked what i can do to make sure i enter,and they said a good GMAT score.
I'm terrible in Math,that's why I'm not trying the Finance programme sad

Thanks for the MBA link,you're right,it provides a far better assessment
Re: Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University by IncaGold(m): 12:56pm On Aug 18, 2008
If you wanna work in an Investment Bank you need to be very proficient in maths (or quant related things). The finance programme in Cranfield is very intensive, also the marketing programme is pack with loads of assignments, written reports and sleepless nights! Just come prepared. I've got a cousin there and i'm also looking for to going there.
It's a very dry and isolated school but with loads of exciting things to do. If you want I can hook you up with my coz, if you want current info from a student's perspective.
Re: Getting An Investment Banking Job In The US After A Masters In Finance at a Reputable U.S University by kadman(m): 2:17pm On Aug 18, 2008
@ Incagold
Thanks ! Yeah my Math is terrible,but I'm not so bad in Quant. I know Cranfield is isolated & very intensive,that's my main reason for choosing to study there there,so i can focus on assignments and all that. I went to Unilag,centre of Lagos,and far too many distractions.
Plz Plz hook me up with your cousin,I would appreciate the info. Did he/she study in Nigeria ?

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy: Admin Executive / Urgent Recruitment In A Marble & Granite Company / Graduate Customer Support Office At Hotels.ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.