Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,622 members, 7,809,290 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:21 AM

My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 (42558 Views)

Entry-level Jobs At Pricewaterhousecoopers (pwc) - 12 October, 2015 / Eleganza Industries Limited Job Recruitment, October 2015 / Ikeja Electricity Distribution Plc Fresh Job Recruitment - 6th October, 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Nobody: 8:36pm On Oct 06, 2015
A top recruitment agency was recruiting for the bank at enugu. I arrived at the venue very early and sat in a small room with the few persons that had arrived, after a while people trickled in until the room was filled and the seats fully occupied, people had to stay outside, when the time for the interview was upon us, one of the officials of the recruitment agency came and addressed us about the importance of marketing to the bank, our careers, and to us as young people ( we didn't apply for marketing position, they didn't inform us on the role we would be interviewed for nor the name of the bank). The very funny stuff was that the job seekers were all in suit, sweating profusely, but none could muster the courage to put on the ceiling fan, when I asked the man closest to the switch to do so, he simply replied, "o boy u no get leg to waka go put am"

The interview.

This was my first interview, so I was a little nervous but excited, I had nothing to lose, they either accept me or reject me, I told myself people go to war and they don't shit their pants, I was just going to face a human not a tiger and have a constructive talk with the person. Names where been called, I didn't want to seat, I stood outside the room with some very nervous ladies and gents and they really appeared nerve wrecked, jittering and scared, I decided that I would not appear frightened, and that was the mistake I made..
It got to my turn, I walked into the office and faced my nemesis, my interviewer sparked

" MR Man who told you to enter in the first place, you are supposed to stand in the doorway until I give you permission to enter"

I apologized immediately and was asked to sit and then hand my cv over.

The first question, "mr man, what is your name" Sir my name is Ambrose ochuko

"Tell me about yourself"

I had practiced this question numerous times, so I was really eloquent. He laughed after I was done, and said " oboy you cram this thing". No sir I didn't, I had prepared myself for this question and the likes sir, I prepared myself for the interview Sir..

So you said you were the best in your class right? Yes sir I replied.

"What course?" International studies and diplomacy sir,

He laughed again, "you have entered my trap because I would ask you difficult questions and you are expected to give me the correct not near correct answers.

Tell me about the foreign policy of obasanjos government in 2000."

Sir, nigeria during the regime of general sani abacha from 1993 to 1998 was regarded as a pariah state, obasanjo tried to reintroduce nigeria as a responsible member of the global committee of nations and....

"stop there, you are speaking Grammer for me, what is pariah, eh..".

pariah sir is..."

shut up, I know it..

"You have failed that one" but sir I protested, "see i won't argue with you, continue speaking Grammer, I liked this, he said with a very ominous laughter, the lady sitting with him joined in the laughter, I felt weak..

"Your next question is tell me the origin of the igbos?"

No problem sir, I started, the igbos originate from the volta congo region in africa, they..

"wait there is that it, are you sure you did your african history well, university of Benin abi, are you sure you even graduated"...
Is that the only origin of the igbo race,

sir, there are traditions of origins which postulate that the igbos are from Israel and also another which say that the progenitor of the igbo people came from the sky, but these are just hemitic hypotesis and the latter is just untrue,

" who told you that the igbos are not from Israel eh, you don't have the right to say that, what do you think you know" I just tire..

Em, he turned to the lady and asked if she had any questions for me, to which the lady looked at me as if I was fart or even poo, a demeaning look with a laughter replied, Abegi no questions.

"Well what can someone who studied international studies and diplomacy do in a bank sef" Sir I began, international stu... "I have heard you, you can now go, we will get back to you..

I was disappointed not that I knew I had lost the job, but the total disregard of professionalism the recruiting office displayed. So if i may advise you, if you are seeking a job opportunity, don't appear confident, simply be downbeat and downtrodden. My first job interview was a total disaster but I learned valuable lessons from the episode.

127 Likes 12 Shares

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Niyeal(m): 8:45pm On Oct 06, 2015
I laf tired. Igbo pple can be funny sha.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Tapout(m): 8:45pm On Oct 06, 2015
ehya..u went for an interrogation,and not an interview

207 Likes 17 Shares

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Aseneshii: 8:48pm On Oct 06, 2015
If I were you, I will not finish that interview, they lack professionalism, I wouldn't allowed people with low I.q interview me.

160 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by HenryThegreat1(m): 8:51pm On Oct 06, 2015
Ok
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Valendo: 8:52pm On Oct 06, 2015
It baffles me why our graduates like to waste their precious time. Why is it that people don't struggle to set up a business or a system that can give them a lot of money. Listen my brother formal education will give you a cheque while self education will earn you a fortune. Stop wasting your time, not even for a job you can be sacked at any time. There are numerous opportunities out there that can make you rich and certainly its not paid employment. So please my dear brothers and sisters think beyond this contract job. One problem I know majority of our youth face today is this "quick rich" thing. Believe me if you can think very well you will understand that its only a matter of time, you will say thank God you were not given any employment letter because most of the jobs out there are total slavery. I have ideas that can make you rich. Feel free to ask me. All of us can do better than this please. I look forward to a day banks will start begging people to work for them. This is possible if only we could think outside the box.

143 Likes 11 Shares

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by mupre: 8:57pm On Oct 06, 2015
Sorry to say, but the panel guys were so funny, I kept laughing while reading your post.
My candid opinion, you did very well in the interview, even your composure and confident level should also add to your grade.
I think they only did that to pull your legs, and see how you can withstand pressure in the banking job, especially when dealing with an irate customer.
You are the best student, so dey knew you had the answers to d questions, Dats y dey kept cutting you, just want to hear your response first.
People have faced worse interview than yours and dey still got the job, as far as you were able to convince them your good.
I wish u d best and dat dey call you.
Remember me in thy kingdom oooo.
Just cheer up, even if you are not called back, which I doubt, Gud has better plans for you.

My $1

343 Likes 17 Shares

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 06, 2015
espionagesavvy:
A top recruitment agency was recruiting for the bank at enugu. I arrived at the venue very early and sat in a small room with the few persons that had arrived, after a while people trickled in until the room was filled and the seats fully occupied, people had to stay outside, when the time for the interview was upon us, one of the officials of the recruitment agency came and addressed us about the importance of marketing to the bank, our careers, and to us as young people ( we didn't apply for marketing position, they didn't inform us on the role we would be interviewed for nor the name of the bank). The very funny stuff was that the job seekers were all in suit, sweating profusely, but none could muster the courage to put on the ceiling fan, when I asked the man closest to the switch to do so, he simply replied, "o boy u no get leg to waka go put am"

The interview.

This was my first interview, so I was a little nervous but excited, I had nothing to lose, they either accept me or reject me, I told myself people go to war and they don't shit their pants, I was just going to face a human not a tiger and have a constructive talk with the person. Names where been called, I didn't want to seat, I stood outside the room with some very nervous ladies and gents and they really appeared nerve wrecked, jittering and scared, I decided that I would not appear frightened, and that was the mistake I made..
It got to my turn, I walked into the office and faced my nemesis, my interviewer sparked

" MR Man who told you to enter in the first place, you are supposed to stand in the doorway until I give you permission to enter"

I apologized immediately and was asked to sit and then hand my cv over.

The first question, "mr man, what is your name" Sir my name is Ambrose ochuko

"Tell me about yourself"

I had practiced this question numerous times, so I was really eloquent. He laughed after I was done, and said " oboy you cram this thing". No sir I didn't, I had prepared myself for this question and the likes sir, I prepared myself for the interview Sir..

So you said you were the best in your class right? Yes sir I replied.

"What course?" International studies and diplomacy sir,

He laughed again, "you have entered my trap because I would ask you difficult questions and you are expected to give me the correct not near correct answers.

Tell me about the foreign policy of obasanjos government in 2000."

Sir, nigeria during the regime of general sani abacha from 1993 to 1998 was regarded as a pariah state, obasanjo tried to reintroduce nigeria as a responsible member of the global committee of nations and....

"stop there, you are speaking Grammer for me, what is pariah, eh..".

pariah sir is..."

shut up, I know it..

"You have failed that one" but sir I protested, "see i won't argue with you, continue speaking Grammer, I liked this, he said with a very ominous laughter, the lady sitting with him joined in the laughter, I felt weak..

"Your next question is tell me the origin of the igbos?"

No problem sir, I started, the igbos originate from the volta congo region in africa, they..

"wait there is that it, are you sure you did your african history well, university of Benin abi, are you sure you even graduated"...
Is that the only origin of the igbo race,

sir, there are traditions of origins which postulate that the igbos are from Israel and also another which say that the progenitor of the igbo people came from the sky, but these are just hemitic hypotesis and the latter is just untrue,

" who told you that the igbos are not from Israel eh, you don't have the right to say that, what do you think you know" I just tire..

Em, he turned to the lady and asked if she had any questions for me, to which the lady looked at me as if I was fart or even poo, a demeaning look with a laughter replied, Abegi no questions.

"Well what can someone who studied international studies and diplomacy do in a bank sef" Sir I began, international stu... "I have heard you, you can now go, we will get back to you..

I was disappointed not that I knew I had lost the job, but the total disregard of professionalism the recruiting office displayed. So if i may advise you, if you are seeking a job opportunity, don't appear confident, simply be downbeat and downtrodden. My first job interview was a total disaster but I learned valuable lessons from the episode.
Eyaaa.. Sorry oo.
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Cpumping(m): 9:02pm On Oct 06, 2015
lmao,
pele OP
naija our thngs dey always dey different.
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by zexzy(f): 9:08pm On Oct 06, 2015
you were actually interviewed by dumb people who were intimidated by your knowledge hence they kept stopping u from answering their questions fully.

57 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Carmal90(m): 9:11pm On Oct 06, 2015
Valendo:
It baffles me why our graduates like to waste their precious time. Why is it that people don't struggle to set up a business or a system that can give them a lot of money. Listen my brother formal education will give you a cheque while self education will earn you a fortune. Stop wasting your time, not even for a job you can be sacked at any time. There are numerous opportunities out there that can make you rich and certainly its not paid employment. So please my dear brothers and sisters think beyond this contract job. One problem I know majority of our youth face today is this "quick rich" thing. Believe me if you can think very well you will understand that its only a matter of time, you will say thank God you were not given any employment letter because most of the jobs out there are total slavery. I have ideas that can make you rich. Feel free to ask me. All of us can do better than this please. I look forward to a day banks will start begging people to work for them. This is possible if only we could think outside the box.
Pls am listening to the advice that can enrich me sir...carmallaide@gmail.com

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by joyblinks(f): 9:12pm On Oct 06, 2015
@OP. Ur advice is wrong o. Only one interview u done go naim u dey give this kind advice. Anyone going for an intervew should appear confident oo. Very necessary, I think u went off balance (lost ur confidence) wen the guy walked u out the first time.

I have some rules I follow for intervews and NO 1 on my list is being Confident. I guess the job wasn't for you sha and those interviewers were just there to have fun.

So change ur advice bro.

36 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Ishilove: 9:45pm On Oct 06, 2015
zexzy:
you were actually interviewed by dumb people who were intimidated by your knowledge hence they kept stopping u from answering their questions fully.
You hit the nail on the head. The impression I got as I was reading the OP's narration was that the interviewers have serious complex issues and were intimidated by the OP's knowledge and confidence.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by yanabasee(m): 9:48pm On Oct 06, 2015
OP.... I wouldn't say you're wrong... But being your first interview...I'd rather say, you did great and welcome to the world of application and turn-down!

The interviewers/HR you got tangled with on the process of getting interviewed sound unprofessional....!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 06, 2015
Tapout:
ehya..u went for an interrogation,and not an interview

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin *tears* cheesy

8 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by AgbenuAnna(f): 9:51pm On Oct 06, 2015
Valendo:
please tell us,

3 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by benedima1990(m): 9:55pm On Oct 06, 2015
Valendo:

Wow!!!

Well said Mr man, in fact I love every part of your article, it's so motivating and inspiring but I have a problem with people that gives advice of this nature which am so sure yiu can't be exceptional. " do what I say and not what I do"

If only you can tell us little about yourself, how you started your own business and how booming it is now then I might follow suit

61 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Rexology: 10:03pm On Oct 06, 2015
@Op let me guess, its Workforce group at Trans Ekulu Enugu. The male interviewer's name is NNAMDI (he is fair in complexion and very rude) the other Lady's name is Judith (she has a bit long face). Am I right? grin

35 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by jashar(f): 10:15pm On Oct 06, 2015
ndo o OP. You were interviewed by fools in power.
MtsheeWwwww
You're better off without a job like that jare.
Don't let anyone ever fool you to thinking that being intelligent and confident is a bad thing.
You can never be over educated. Just apply your knowledge appropriately to each situation.

Shalom

13 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Sanchez01: 10:23pm On Oct 06, 2015
zexzy:
Not only were they dumb, they were also intimidated. Some people are that way. It was obvious they were intimidated from the moment they asked about Obasanjo's foreign policy. It was like they hated his confidence and gut. It stopped being an interview the moment one of the educated illiterates said the OP was speaking grammar. Perhaps they had some candidates at the back of their minds.

Lalasticlala
Seun... Kindly help put this on FP. Thanks.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by nellytivities(f): 10:28pm On Oct 06, 2015
Op, you were not interviewed by fools. They just simply wanted to check your composure and how confident you can be. And from what you gave us here, you did well.
Do not advise people to go into an office for an interview looking all shaky, you'll lose that opportunity.
In my opinion, You did well and you will be called.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Nobody: 10:32pm On Oct 06, 2015
Valendo:

My dear, you couldn't have said it better. I once got an offer for a contract job when I wanted a change from where I am now. When I researched on what it meant yo be a contract staff and the crappy pay of 75k, risky closing hours and no hope of conversion or experience for promotion with other banks, I decided to stay where I am, save some money then open a fashion house since I already sew.

I know what I have, so I can't settle for a job that's mere slavery.

Our economy is so messed up, there are no jobs so graduates rush crappy jobs like this.

May God help us.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Cahmegga: 10:46pm On Oct 06, 2015
clearly those interviewers were feeling inferior before you....the best they could do was try to ridicule you. Keep ya head up young man. cheers

5 Likes

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Valendo: 10:49pm On Oct 06, 2015
benedima1990:

Wow!!!

Well said Mr man, in fact I love every part of your article, it's so motivating and inspiring but I have a problem with people that gives advice of this nature which am so sure yiu can't be exceptional. " do what I say and not what I do"

If only you can tell us little about yourself, how you started your own business and how booming it is now then I might follow suit
My advice for you is to take time and study the business section of the nairaland very well. There are lots of business opportunities there. Don't limit your area of interest to the job vacancies alone. Whatever I say here its left for you to believe it or not. Only God knows the last time I applied for a job. I hardly get the time to. I started my business with the intention of doing it part-time while I look for job. But the whole thing changed after my second month in the business. For me I'm into Networking as well as bitcoin business. However, there are lots of other business opportunities in the business section or investment section. Just look for one and start it. I hate it when youths want to get rich quick even when they know such might not last. Build a business. Patience is the key. Before you know it you will be surprised. I think you just need to get out of your comfort zone. Real life is outside the comfort zone. Don't wish for less problems wish for more skills; don't wish for less challenges wish for more wisdom. Don't wish things were easier wish you were better. My brother the sky will be your limit. Remember spend time @ the business section very well.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by clevadani: 10:53pm On Oct 06, 2015

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Rudolfchris(m): 10:57pm On Oct 06, 2015
It baffles me why our graduates like to waste their precious time. Why is it that people don't struggle to set up a business or a system that can give them a lot of money. Listen my brother formal education will give you a cheque while self education will earn you a fortune. Stop wasting your time, not even for a job you can be sacked at any time. There are numerous opportunities out there that can make you rich and certainly its not paid employment. So please my dear brothers and sisters think beyond this contract job. One problem I know majority of our youth face today is this "quick rich" thing. Believe me if you can think very well you will understand that its only a matter of time, you will say thank God you were not given any employment letter because most of the jobs out there are total slavery. I have ideas that can make you rich. Feel free to ask me. All of us can do better than this please. I look forward to a day banks will start begging people to work for them. This is possible if only we could think outside the box.[/quote].

Pls make this your idea available to a brother. Email: aloziechris01@yahoo.com. Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by dammytosh: 10:57pm On Oct 06, 2015
Dnt worry.
God will favour u
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by Iyke1998(m): 10:58pm On Oct 06, 2015
:hmm

NYSC:Now Your Struggle Continues
JOB:Journey Of Borrowers
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by techmart(m): 10:59pm On Oct 06, 2015
seriously, professionalism is zero ...shouldn't be
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by activelyA(f): 11:00pm On Oct 06, 2015
Calamari
Re: My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 by dreamworld: 11:01pm On Oct 06, 2015
gnld things

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Are The Consequences Of Working With Fake Certificates? / All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! / 9mobile Is Currently Recruiting – Apply Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.