Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,599 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? (20508 Views)

Poll: Can a real Christian work in a company that makes alcoholic beverages or tobacco cigarettes?

Yes: 63% (71 votes)
No: 36% (41 votes)
This poll has ended

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by ayzayo(m): 8:34pm On Aug 29, 2008
the koko is that are you working according to God's purpose or direction ? God might be sending you there for a purpose and for some, you might just be putting your eternity at stake . Consider Hosea that God told to take a prostitute for a wife , and Jonah that God sent to a sinful and corrupt Nineveh. The question you should ask yourself is, are you acting according to God's instruction to you
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by saintolu(m): 2:51pm On Sep 04, 2008
whyshould a xtian use his/her God given ability to promote the kingdom of darkness? I consider that to be a divided loyalty.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by KunleOshob(m): 3:44pm On Sep 04, 2008
saintolu:

whyshould a xtian use his/her God given ability to promote the kingdom of darkness? I consider that to be a divided loyalty.
Which kingdom off darkness shocked shocked people sha angry
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by ayzayo(m): 12:11pm On Sep 06, 2008
you people critizing christians working in a brewery would probably be part of those that would have been part of those that found something wrong with JESUS eating with sinners. What would have come to your mind when Jesus did that and when Hosea took a prostitute as a wife. O shallow minded christians, why would the ark of God that killed Uzzah turn out to be a blessing for Obededom. For God's sake, we have what we call RHEMA and LOGOS. Try to figure out the deep meaning of these greek words( which a christian must konw anyway) before you begin critizing this individual.
     would you find another job for this man because I can see you're telling him to leave this one
we have liberty in CHRIST but don't use a liberty as a chance for the devil. This si what my bible tells me.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by olugbon01(m): 3:25pm On Sep 09, 2008
grin hmmm, if u conscience dosnt allow u, dont do i. i believe in self control too.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by KunleOshob(m): 5:52pm On Sep 10, 2008
olugbon01:

grin hmmm, if u conscience dosnt allow u, don't do i. i believe in self control too.

Your conscience could have been distorted / influenced by the fasle doctrine being preached by false preachers against consumption of alcohol. I think it is better to search the scriptures and see for your self.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 11, 2008
Jesus turned water into wine.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by kufreabasi(m): 2:14pm On Sep 18, 2008
If a christian seeking for job in a breweries and such is being offered this opportunity, being a God-fearing person does not work there to drink beer but to keep life going and make ends meet.
There are christians andthere are christians. so you should'nt be a greedy christian while working in brewery. keep on to your faith and pursue your money
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by obinna5000(m): 2:19pm On Sep 18, 2008
A true Christian does not work either a brewery or a tobacco company. That means you are helping the company to manufacture products that will make people drunkards and chain smokers.
So your friend should find another job somewhere else. With God on his side, he will get a job far better that the one at hand.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by KunleOshob(m): 8:24am On Sep 19, 2008
@Obinna
can you back your claims with scripture
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by obinna5000(m): 2:29pm On Sep 19, 2008
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by KunleOshob(m): 2:48pm On Sep 19, 2008
@obinna
The bible preaches against drunkeness and NOT taking of alcohol, as a christian you are allowed to drink in moderation, even Jesus christ used to take alcoholic beverages.
Luke 7:34:

34The Son of Man is come eating and drinking, and ye say, `Behold, a gluttonous man and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!'
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by obinna5000(m): 4:11pm On Sep 19, 2008
@KunleOshob, so u take alcohol. Stop it now o. Don't be like those Jesus turned water into wine or Isaiah 56:12 preachers.

By the way did u get my last email? smiley
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by KunleOshob(m): 4:21pm On Sep 19, 2008
Well as long there is no instruction in the bible stating that christians should not drink, i would continue to enjoy my beer. I only hope i can stay within moderation lipsrsealed
I got your last mail, you would hear from me soon.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by Nimshi: 9:07am On Sep 21, 2008
Yeye nonsense.

Even Jesus work part time for instant-party brewery.

If people drunk, na dem wahala be dat.

Person wey put rat poison for food, na di fault of di chemist wey mix di poison?

Everytin for im own use, for the right quantity.

As dem talk for bible: na wine dey make person heart jolly.

Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by Mavenb0x(m): 12:09pm On Jan 18, 2010
@OP: Please go ahead and work there. You are the light of the world and light is needed everywhere!

P.S> I arrived from another thread which was locked by the MOD for being a duplicate. Here is a response there by ttalks that I totally agree with (although for myself, I don't drink)
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-383214.0.html#msg5338352

It is not wrong ! !
Forget about all those who will tell you it is wrong cos they clearly do not know what they're talking about.

To answer your question easily, you first need to know if consumption of alcohol is wrong.
Answer to that is : no, consumption of alcohol is not wrong; over indulgence in it(which could lead to drunkeness) is what is wrong.
Breweries produce alcoholic drinks for responsible consumption by their consumers.
It is the responsibility of the consumers to be responsible in their drinking.

So, in conclusion, to work in a brewery as a Christian is definitely fine!

Take a look at this:

Automobile companies produce cars. Cars are good for moving one from one point to the other(transportation).
But, overspeeding with cars is wreckless and can lead to accidents which could claim lives.
Do we now say driving of cars is a sin?
Do we now say that working in an automobile company is a sin?
   undecided

That is exactly the same scenario with brewries.

And besides, there is no where in the bible that consumption of alcohol is regarded as sinful; rather, the overindulgence is what is regarded as sinful.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by Image123(m): 5:32pm On Jan 18, 2010
'Responsible consumption by the consumers'
grin That's a joke, no?
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by Mavenb0x(m): 5:58pm On Jan 18, 2010
@Image123: LOL! You have to give them some credit. That is their legal statement, you know? 'Cos with every advert, they announce "drink responsibly", ebven if they don't really want you to do that. Legally speaking, I have to agree with ttalks on that, I guess.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by lioncoolst(m): 11:27pm On Sep 23, 2010
Should He Quit His Job?

Someone I know is seriously born again and after staying 3 years at home post NYSC with a degree in mechanical engineering, he later got a job with Nigerian breweries (makers of maltina, star etc). He even gave testimony on how he scored the highly coveted job and explained to fellow praying believers that he will not be working in the alcohol department and that he'll be into something else besides making the beer or tasting it in any way.

Is it proper for a born again Christian who is against drinking alcohol to work for a company making the alcohol? Should he quit that job and believe God for another job? Should Christians work for other companies that make alcohol, condoms, cigarettes even if they don't use those things?

What is a serios born again looking for secular job for Havent you heard"Give unto Ceasar what is Ceasar and Giv unto God what is his'
The guy should quit ASAP sharp sharp and go join the church work group to earn his living, ok? He shud be workin in the Church, or better still go set up a church, ok.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pastor Poju Oyemade: "How Culture Is Destroying Christianity In Africa" / Olufemi Akindayomi, Accuses Pastor Adeboye Of Changing Church Principles / Merry Christmas to everybody in Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.