Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? (20511 Views)

Poll: Can a real Christian work in a company that makes alcoholic beverages or tobacco cigarettes?

Yes: 63% (71 votes)
No: 36% (41 votes)
This poll has ended

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / Is It Wrong To Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by DeepZone: 7:50pm On Aug 19, 2008
If his conscience tells him that working in a brewery is sin, then it is sin to him.

I consider his working in the non-alcoholic department hypocrisy. If the production department did not exist, his non-alcholic department post will most probably not exist.

It's like saying, I work in a brothel but I don't do the fucking or I don't embezzle money, I just follow the instructions of my oga to do the paperwork.

5 stars.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by seyibrown(f): 7:51pm On Aug 19, 2008
How does one compare a brewery to a brothel?

Are there different categories of sin? Do you get eternal life commiting some and get eternal damnation committing others?

SIN IS SIN honey!
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by DeepZone: 7:52pm On Aug 19, 2008
my sister I saw the analogy and froze.
Isn't there a whale of difference between being a production mgr (for instance) at Golden Guinea breweries and a receptionist at "hot and sexy"

No, he/she was emphatically talking about the hypocrisy that abounds in the guy's reiteration on his area of expertise.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by romeo(m): 7:55pm On Aug 19, 2008
Queenisha:

do you also a quotation that says "never do 419" to know that it's wrong?

people and questions

The Bible condemns drinking to excess like other excesses including gluttony,sexual excesses etc

sister abeg now!!! Boys got to play.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by seyibrown(f): 8:03pm On Aug 19, 2008
How does one compare a brewery to a brothel?

my sister I saw the analogy and froze.
Isn't there a whale of difference between being a production mgr (for instance) at Golden Guinea breweries and a receptionist at "hot and sexy"

I am talking about his hypocrisy. Let me re-interprete:

I(non-sinner) work in the non-alcoholic department

They(sinners) work in the alcoholic department

We all get paid from the overall profits made from the alcoholic and non-alcoholic business the company does.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by Queenisha: 8:05pm On Aug 19, 2008
romeo:

sister abeg now!!! Boys got to play.

Romeo you're changing the subject grin
boys and their blokossal minds. lipsrsealed
The question is will you work for premier lager or not

I'm sure you probably drink 6 bottles a night with your bowl of Isiewu grin
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by Queenisha: 8:06pm On Aug 19, 2008
seyibrown:

We all get paid from the overall profits made from the alcoholic and non-alcoholic business the company does.

OK
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by KarmaMod(f): 8:07pm On Aug 19, 2008
Yea i thought it was stupid that he mentioned that in his "testimony"
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by DeepZone: 8:08pm On Aug 19, 2008

Come to think of it from your analysis, what if you renege to take your share of the profits as long as the company pay for your services. I mean, a christian can be a cop without collecting a share from bribe money or a secret agent without embarking on a killing spree.

From your analysis, does it mean that if you have an auditing firm(for example) and NBL is one of your big clients, you are liable for the sin they commit even if you do not believe in what they represent?
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 19, 2008
Proverbs 31
4. It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink.
5. Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgement of any of the afflicted.
6. Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

1 Timothy 3
1. This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth good work.
2. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3. Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous.

Point: A drunkard can't rule properly.

Proverbs 20
1. Wine is amocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Isaiah 5
11 Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!

Ephesians 5
18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Apparently, the Bible has distinctions between non-alcoholic and alcoholic wine. I don't think he should work in the brewery.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by DeepZone: 8:10pm On Aug 19, 2008
and where's the sin in working in the brewery? Quote the line for me. I'm waiting.

But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea (Matthew 18:6).
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by romeo(m): 8:12pm On Aug 19, 2008
Queenisha:

Romeo you're changing the subject grin
boys and their blokossal minds. lipsrsealed
The question is will you work for premier lager or not

I'm sure you probably drink 6 bottles a night with your bowl of Isiewu grin

I go even combine the job with the brothel one wink

my mark pass 6 abeg grin grin, we no get isiewu for here but we get cow leg.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by KarmaMod(f): 8:12pm On Aug 19, 2008
Isaiah 5
11 Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!

Ephesians 5
18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess;

Did you get what he was trying to say here? It's quite obvious to me, but I dont think it is for you.

Why didnt Jesus tell those at the Cana wedding that they should just stick to water instead?
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by janami(f): 8:13pm On Aug 19, 2008
Queenisha
as everyone knows 419 is stealing. stealing obviously has a quote in the bible. So d 419 example doesnt do anything for ur point.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by Queenisha: 8:15pm On Aug 19, 2008
janami:

Queenisha
as everyone knows 419 is stealing. stealing obviously has a quote in the bible. So d 419 example doesnt do anything for your point.

and you expect brewery to be in the Bible?
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by Queenisha: 8:16pm On Aug 19, 2008
KarmaMod:

Did you get what he was trying to say here? It's quite obvious to me, but I don't think it is for you.

Why didnt Jesus tell those at the Cana wedding that they should just stick to water instead?

biko the wine there had a holy touch.
I would gladly drink that one jo
You can't compare it dirty ogogoro
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by seyibrown(f): 8:17pm On Aug 19, 2008
Come to think of it from your analysis, what if you renege to take your share of the profits as long as the company pay for your services. I mean, a christian can be a cop without collecting a share from bribe money or a secret agent without embarking on a killing spree.

From your analysis, does it mean that if you have an auditing firm(for example) and NBL is one of your big clients, you are liable for the sin they commit even if you do not believe in what they represent?

Whatever service you provide the company, be it consultancy  or janitorial,when the company pays you, it pays from its profits/losses/loans/assets/liabilities.

If your spirit does not agree with sinful products or services, run miles from proceeds from sales of sinful products/services.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by DeepZone: 8:18pm On Aug 19, 2008
I'm sure you probably drink 6 bottles a night with your bowl of Isiewu

That's why he's an unbeliever grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by DeepZone: 8:20pm On Aug 19, 2008

Is there any place in the bible that categorically said that Jesus gave them alcohol? For all I know, it could be fruit wine.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by Hannibal: 8:21pm On Aug 19, 2008
@ DeepZone,

Tell ur friend to go work @ the Redemption Camp.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by KarmaMod(f): 8:24pm On Aug 19, 2008
Queenisha:

biko the wine there had a holy touch.
I would gladly drink that one jo
You can't compare it dirty ogogoro

osisi you are not serious. tongue Catholics can easily go to the pope if that's the case.

I personally don't drink. Just don't see the appeal. It was known for tasting good, maybe but when you see people take a sip of something and the facial expression they show is of one who's disgusted and not satisfied then I don't want to be part of that. I don't like guys who drink either but that's just me.

anyway I just think it's dumb for a person to consider giving up a job like that. Ignoring the offer from a cigarette companies makes way MORE sense than that of a brewery esp when alcoholic drinks isnt all they make there. Drunkness which is condemed by the Bible only happens when you consume excess of such drinks anyway.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by DeepZone: 8:24pm On Aug 19, 2008
@ DeepZone,

Tell your friend to go work @ the Redemption Camp.

No vacancy unless you can hook him up.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by debosky(m): 8:24pm On Aug 19, 2008
mactao:

Proverbs 31
4. It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink.
5. Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgement of any of the afflicted.
6. Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Ephesians 5
18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Apparently, the Bible has distinctions between non-alcoholic and alcoholic wine. I don't think he should work in the brewery.

There is no such thing as 'non-alcoholic wine' or 'fruit wine', that is a wholly Nigerian conception of highest deceit. Once it is called 'wine' it MUST as a RULE contain alcohol.

It is a matter of personal conviction - wine in itself is not wrong, it is the propensity for drunkenness that is the problem. If you can drink and avoid drunkenness, then no problem. But people should stop inventing things that don't exist.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by DeepZone: 8:28pm On Aug 19, 2008
Drunkness which is condemed by the Bible only happens when you consume excess of such drinks anyw
The major reason why christians abhor alcohol is the absorption rate. The quantity that will make me drunk is different from the quantity that can get you drunk. So, why serve someone a bottle of 12OZ beer when you are not really sure he/she cannot get drunk from that? I mean, a person like Hannibal can drink one carton of beer and belch only once but you can't use him as a yardstick because if you try that on another, he may become drunk and hence commits sin besides, alcohol makes you Hot and may lead to fornication. A christian working in a brewery is no different from a christian running a beer parlour.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by romeo(m): 8:30pm On Aug 19, 2008
DeepZone:

That's why he's an unbeliever grin grin grin grin grin

I bow for you jare! who tell you say i be unbeliever? sad sad
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by KarmaMod(f): 8:32pm On Aug 19, 2008
DeepZone:

Is there any place in the bible that categorically said that Jesus gave them alcohol? For all I know, it could be fruit wine.

alot of "fruit wine" have alcohol.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by KarmaMod(f): 8:35pm On Aug 19, 2008
The major reason why christians abhor alcohol is the absorption rate. The quantity that will make me drunk is different from the quantity that can get you drunk.

That's why you should know your limit. Same way McDonalds might make one person obese and not affect the body of naother person. Should a starving jobless person ignore a job offer from there as well?
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by Hannibal: 8:36pm On Aug 19, 2008
DeepZone:

No vacancy unless you can hook him up.

He is not hungry then.
When hunger ravages him to a pulp, he would do something to his life.

DeepZone:

The major reason why christians abhor alcohol is the absorption rate. The quantity that will make me drunk is different from the quantity that can get you drunk. So, why serve someone a bottle of 12OZ beer when you are not really sure he/she cannot get drunk from that? I mean, a person like Hannibal can drink one carton of beer and belch only once but you can't use him as a yardstick because if you try that on another, he may become drunk and hence commits sin besides, alcohol makes you Hot and may lead to fornication. A christian working in a brewery is no different from a christian running a beer parlour.

U are a classic pudden head if u think alcohol makes a man Hot.
Are u genetically foolish or ur idiocy is enviromentally triggered??
Absorption rate me ass. . . . . . . .Are u telling me human beings(adults) dunno their critical limit??
Let us know the result of ur psycho-evaluation test. . . . .U are due for one this week, innit??
Hannibal can drink one carton of beer. . . .Do i look like ur Ijesha ancestors who drank and lost their land to em other tribes??
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by DeepZone: 8:37pm On Aug 19, 2008
There is no such thing as 'non-alcoholic wine' or 'fruit wine', that is a wholly Nigerian conception of highest deceit. Once it is called 'wine' it MUST as a RULE contain alcohol.
I don't agree 100% because you can pasteurize grape to create "wine" that has no alcohol. The word "wine" is not necessarily synonymous with alcohol.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by TmeD0(m): 8:39pm On Aug 19, 2008
So, once pesin don "born again" na hin be say make hin no use common sense again?  For where God talk for bible say na sin to work for where them dey make tombo liquor in other to feed and clothe ya family?  Make all of una hypocrites wey dey holla sin this, sin that carry una yeye Christian-Craziness beliefs go o jare.  Na una and some of una yeye pastors dey spoil this world for us by misrepresenting and misinterpreting the Bible to further una causes.  Wo poster, tell ya friend make e keep hin means of livelihood because manna no go fall from heaven come feed am o!  Peace!
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by debosky(m): 8:40pm On Aug 19, 2008
alcohol is now blamed for horniness

I wonder what utter stupidity will be blamed on alcohol next. . . . . lack of manners?

DeepZone:

I don't agree 100% because you can pasteurize grape to create "wine" that has no alcohol. The word "wine" is not necessarily synonymous with alcohol.

once you pasteurize grape juice, then it is grape juice, simple and not wine. Only wannabe wine drinkers like yourself who still want to hold on to some sanctimonious claim of not consuming alcohol came up with this 'non-alcoholic wine' nonsense.
Re: Can A Christian Work At A Brewery? by fotodaddy: 8:42pm On Aug 19, 2008
DeepZone:

ol boy you dey funny oo!!! Abiyou no know the meaning of wine?? If you like make you go read am for the Hebrew text if you no know. Jesus turn water to ALCOHOLIC wine. Therein in is the miracle.

Haba!!! over spiri!!! shocked shocked

Why we just dey take this kin matter dey play.
[size=22pt]
QUESTION: CAN A MUSLIM WORK IN A BREWERY[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Olufemi Akindayomi, Accuses Pastor Adeboye Of Changing Church Principles / Merry Christmas to everybody in Nigeria. / Paraguan Government Honours TB Joshua With Highest Merit Award In Paraguay(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.