Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,136 members, 7,818,422 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final - Sports (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final (33624 Views)

Poll: Whos gonna win?

Nigeria: 89% (222 votes)
Argentina: 10% (27 votes)
This poll has ended

Caf U23 Championship Qualifier :Nigeria 0 Vs Congo 0 (Live) / 2015 Copa America Final: Chile 0 - 0 Argentina - Penalty (4-1) - Fultime. / Azerbaijan Vs Nigeria (0 - 11): U-17 Women's World Cup On Tuesday Sept-25-2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by tpia: 7:15am On Aug 23, 2008
the way the Argentinians kept falling down (as usual) almost before anybody even touched them, is so childish.

Naijas should have done the same jare. Its not a crime to fall down, is it.

Odimwigie also tried though.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by adamsy07: 7:15am On Aug 23, 2008
i feel proud to ave siasia and his boys to be nigerian,most people wrote them off,but got into the final not even with luck but hardwork,did u see what this guys played they played more than your so called super argintines stars,taking the ball from their feet like school boys.
the whole team was brilliant Anichebe was not lucky but played well.
come to talk about it the argintines were fortunate with that goal,if nigeria was to be leading at that time we would beat them upto 4 goals,because the argentines cld not really get it with the tempreture.
lucky argentines and proudly nigerians dream team.

they took the silver with their heads high and wish the NFA to look at siasia as the coach for worldcup2010.
then u will see your mikel cry to join the team and i know that where is mystery would start.

i love you guys am proud of u all.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Echeozo(m): 7:15am On Aug 23, 2008
'
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by dayokanu(m): 7:16am On Aug 23, 2008
Mikel??If Mikel had played we would have lost in the group stage. WOuld Siasia have dropped Ajilore for him?  Hell Nahh  Ajilore is top draw, mobile, forward moving, Hardworking, Humble and everything Mikel is not
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by doyin13(m): 7:16am On Aug 23, 2008
The defender had to play that way because he was faced with
two attackers.

The keeper is a good shot stopper but his decision making sucks

The game really hurts sha. . . .Argies did not play great, and no work hard
for the win. Thats what hurts.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by alex406(m): 7:16am On Aug 23, 2008
We missed Taiye Taiwo in the game,nobody to play a shot on target.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by HNIC(m): 7:16am On Aug 23, 2008
I wrote about he experience part.
The Argies slowed d game down after the goal,and made us chase them down.
Why I am upset with the players was why we didn't go for broke
My God, chase down every ball, force them to make mistakes,play the damn match like a final.
The few times we tried it, they were caught napping
But I guess ,we were well studied by the argies and that saw them through.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Cristalz(f): 7:17am On Aug 23, 2008
Hannibal:

Good point, HNIC.

The craziest thing was when they scored. . . . .Those boys just gave up.
They got scared and lost hope as if they felt they were not going to equalise.
They had so much time to come back. . . . . .all they needed to do was keep calm and hit the Argies on a counter. . . .
Siasia didn't tutor those boys well.

I disagree with you a bit o.They didn't totally relax,they kept trying.Agreed they messed up the best chances of the match,but they never stopped trying.The Argy's had a better defence,and a much better GK.And like you said,vast experience.

Siasia tried.There was good team-work,good co-ordination,a reasonable level of confident shots at goal(on or off target).Just the MF, defence,and of course,Vanzekin that had issues.All of these should be ironed out by the time they go for the Nations' Cup.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 23, 2008
nigeria tried, against all odds , so we tried, can we just show some love, ??
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Echeozo(m): 7:18am On Aug 23, 2008
j
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by TmeD0(m): 7:19am On Aug 23, 2008
ehie007:

the fault was from our gaol keeper, if he has stayed back the chances of the argentine not scoring was very high. i don't know weitin they worru vanzekin atime.

That's exactly what I thought too.  I think he must have panicked cause Di Maria was still a long shot from him.  Though the defense sort of fell asleep there after a magnificent first half.
Hannibal:

Good point, HNIC.

The craziest thing was when they scored. . . . .Those boys just gave up.
They got scared and lost hope as if they felt they were not going to equalise.
They had so much time to come back. . . . . .all they needed to do was keep calm and hit the Argies on a counter. . . .
Siasia didn't tutor those boys well.

On the contrary, I think they played confidently throughout but their only problem was just lack of finishing.  They created so many chances but just couldn't capitalize on them.  They played better, paced the Argies very well but just lack that final touch to put the ball in the net.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by folahann(m): 7:19am On Aug 23, 2008
The boys were playing as if there were no more energy in them, very different from what i saw against Belgium.

Anyways they have gone a long way to the final, Good for Nigeria
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by SamMilla1(m): 7:19am On Aug 23, 2008
deept:

who is going to explain to you. the coach does not answer to you. whether u like it or not, he did very well. Nobody gave Nigeria a chance from the beginnig and he brought us to the finals. This is our first loss and its not like we were disgraced.

The guys did wee from Vansekin to Odewingie.

We can talk, we are not on the pitch, the pressure, the heat, the opposition. e easy.

Well done jare guys.

What are you talking about.
In Europe, there is always a press conference after each game
in which the coach give some explanations
Nigeria is bankrolling the team not siasia.
And me and you are the Ngerians (unless you are not.)
Nigeria tried, everybody knows that.
But it wont hurt anyone if SIASIA tells us why he did not play OGBUKE OBASI.
I know there must be a good reason for that.
But we demand to know.
HE DID VERY WELL AGAINST BELGIUM.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by deept(m): 7:21am On Aug 23, 2008
Cristalz:

I disagree with you a bit o.They didn't totally relax,they kept trying.Agreed they messed up the best chances of the match,but they never stopped trying.The Argy's had a better defence,and a much better GK.And like you said,vast experience.

Siasia tried.There was good team-work,good co-ordination,a reasonable level of confident shots at goal(on or off target).Just the MF, defence,and of course,Vanzekin that had issues.All of these should be ironed out by the time they go for the Nations' Cup.

i dont agree at all. it was lack of concentration at that time that killed the game for us and we can say experience. trust me if the defence and midfield had issues, we would have been beaten silly.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by EI(m): 7:21am On Aug 23, 2008

APAM, KAITA, OGBUKE,ADELEYE should be promoted to super eagles.

KAITA and APAM are very good players  Amodu should forget those so called big boys

I really don't concur.

I would expect it the other way around, i.e. get the best of current papa Eagles to join these boys against WC2010!  angry

They have the experience (playing up to two finals at World stage), skills and tactical discipline.
Add:
- strikers like Martins, the Uche  brothers (definitely not Aiyegbeni  angry)
- midfield? Maybe only a repentant and humble Mikel
- a couple of defenders
- Enyeama (and what was the other keeper's name)
and we have a good team!

But then Amodu and his coaching team will have to also be retired, for Siasia to naturally manage. . .  wink
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Hannibal: 7:21am On Aug 23, 2008
Cristalz:

Did we go for broke? No. . . .we didn't
As at 1st half. . . .game was EVEN. . .
When Argentina scored, u expect Nigeria to be more aggressive and pin Argentina back for long spells but we didn't do that.
Argentina were the ones playing like they needed to equalise.

Siasia tried.There was good team-work,good co-ordination,a reasonable level of confident shots at goal.Just the MF, defence,and of course,Vanzekin that had issues.All of these should be ironed out by the time they go for the Nations' Cup.

Siasia tried but i had a niggling feeling he didn't tutor those boys on PLAN B.
There's no indication he prepared those boys for a mishap(conceding the first goal). . . .
This is why winning games easily be4 the final can be dangerous. . . .The team at Atlanta came back from 3-1 to win 4-3 against BRAZIL.

Even when they conceded twice in the final against Argentina. . . . .THE BELIEF was there that they would always do a COMEBACK.
This bunch are not used to conceding the 1st goal and adapting to chasing a game. . . . .PATIENCE is the key word.
This is why Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are great teams. . . .When they concede, u expect FIRE but i didn't see that tonight.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by adamsy07: 7:21am On Aug 23, 2008
i feel proud to ave siasia and his boys to be nigerian,most people wrote them off,but got into the final not even with luck but hardwork,did u see what this guys played they played more than your so called super argintines stars,taking the ball from their feet like school boys.
the whole team was brilliant Anichebe was not lucky but played well.
come to talk about it the argintines were fortunate with that goal,if nigeria was to be leading at that time we would beat them upto 4 goals,because the argentines cld not really get it with the tempreture.
lucky argentines and proudly nigerians dream team.

they took the silver with their heads high and wish the NFA to look at siasia as the coach for worldcup2010.
then u will see your mikel cry to join the team and i know that where is mystery would start.

i love you guys am proud of u all.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by stkris(m): 7:21am On Aug 23, 2008
our boiz really tried n dats it. . atimes u loose but actually WIN. n dats wat we did. . EAGLES 4 LIFE !!  grin
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 23, 2008
EVERYONE COMPLAINING IS AN IDIOT!!!!!! CAN WE CELEBRATE NIGERIA FOR ONCE
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by lepashandi: 7:23am On Aug 23, 2008
Stupid people - even if we won - you guys will still blame the boys - I tire for this big mouth Nigerians o- honestly.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Cristalz(f): 7:24am On Aug 23, 2008
Time for bed.  .  .Prem's up soon. grin
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by deept(m): 7:25am On Aug 23, 2008
SAM MILLA:

What are you talking about.
In Europe, there is always a press conference after each game
in which the coach give some explanations
Nigeria is bankrolling the team not siasia.
And me and you are the Ngerians (unless you are not.)
Nigeria tried, everybody knows that.
But it wont hurt anyone if SIASIA tells us why he did not play OGBUKE OBASI.
I know there must be a good reason for that.
But we demand to know.
HE DID VERY WELL AGAINST BELGIUM.

What good would explaining do. He is the coach and as far as i am concerned, there is a very good reason for watever decisions he made especially playing one person or the other. Nigeria shoyed MIKEL OBI but he said no. So what are we saying.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by folahann(m): 7:25am On Aug 23, 2008
The boys also had a problem, they have not gone behind before in this tourney and so it was very difficulft foe them to come back.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by lepashandi: 7:25am On Aug 23, 2008
these are people who complains nothing good can come out of Nigeria - and when someone makes an effort - all they do is shout him down - run him down - saying he fumbled - sometimes I wish all these big mouth people can just shut up and let well meaningfull people reason and talk - who doesnt want to win - the boys them selve want to win - but Nigeria is the only country where if you dont win - then you have a problem - i am sick of these Nigerians - trust me.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Rmc1(m): 7:27am On Aug 23, 2008
abeg the boys tried silver is also good its not easy
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by folahann(m): 7:28am On Aug 23, 2008
lepashandi:

these are people who complains nothing good can come out of Nigeria - and when someone makes an effort - all they do is shout him down - run him down - saying he fumbled - sometimes I wish all these big mouth people can just shut up and let well meaningfull people reason and talk - who doesnt want to win - the boys them selve want to win - but Nigeria is the only country where if you don't win - then you have a problem - i am sick of these Nigerians - trust me.
Meaning?
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by deept(m): 7:29am On Aug 23, 2008
I think Argentina didnt want to win ooo. They came to selll groundnut and let Nigeria beat them.

We played, they played and they scored.

Full stop.

Takes two to tango.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by dreeldee: 7:29am On Aug 23, 2008
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by Cristalz(f): 7:30am On Aug 23, 2008
deept:

i don't agree at all. it was lack of concentration at that time that killed the game for us and we can say experience. trust me if the defence and midfield had issues, we would have been beaten silly.

Hello?? We were beaten. grin

@H
Actually after the goal the commentator did say twaz the first time in the tourney that Nigeria was a goal down.Guess Siasia does have his own lessons to learn too.
I noticed that their pace and hunger reduced in second half.  .  .guess they were fazed by all that experience on the Argy side.But my comments were based on an overall analysis of all the games they played.They weren't so great against the Argys,but they did good.
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by stkris(m): 7:30am On Aug 23, 2008
OYA. . make evrybody go sleep. . we get d silver medal. . but we won d match. GOOD NITE Y"ALL  grin
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by dreeldee: 7:32am On Aug 23, 2008
i can't sleep embarassed embarassed cry
Re: Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final by deept(m): 7:33am On Aug 23, 2008
@ crystal

emphasis on beaten silly like 4 or 5 goals

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (31) (Reply)

Referee Fernando Hernandez Kicks Lucas Romero In Groin For Demanding VAR Review / Gattuso Warns Napoli Fans Over Osimhen Expectation, Says We Have Not Signed Pele / David De Gea Wins The Premier League Golden Glove Award For 2022-23

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.