Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,218 members, 7,860,387 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:17 AM

Likelihood of NLC Strike over Fuel Price Increase - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Likelihood of NLC Strike over Fuel Price Increase (1713 Views)

Photo Of NLC Chairman's Landcruiser, Same Man Condemning Senators Lol / NLC Strike Over Fuel Subsidy Removal: What's Happening In Your Area? / What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Likelihood of NLC Strike over Fuel Price Increase by Hunter(m): 9:10am On Sep 04, 2005
Chances/Impact of Strikes over Fuel Prices

As some of you may know my father lives and works in Nigeria, he is somewhat concerned about the emerging possibilities of strikes related to the increased fuel costs.

This could mean that he is unable to return home for an extended period of time (as they say there's no place like home) due to threats of planes being grounded because of a lack of fuel (which is kind of stupid considering modern jet liners burn kerosene not the petrol you put in your car)

So what's likely to happen and more importantly when.
Re: Likelihood of NLC Strike over Fuel Price Increase by Bibi(m): 9:50am On Sep 04, 2005
Not sure Nigerians can get away without this increase this time. The fact is that people are already buying it. And think about it, this is not a nigerian issue, but global. I now buy petrol for 1.5euro/litre (roughly N250/l), from 1.05euro/l a few weeks back.

Also, note fuel pricing is not limited to petrol people put in cars, it relates to all petroleum products. The hype over petrol is that its the most comonly know due to its impact on ground transportation.

Moreso, Nigerians love sensationalism and will drop anything for sweet sensation and you know what, OBJ introduced the Atiku issue right at the height of the petrol palavar and right now, everyone is talking OBJ/Atiku and no more petrol increase. Simply put, Nigerians have quietly accepted the increase and I really dont see any meaningfull strike this time. I think instead of continuos battle over petrol prices, the people/ NLC should press strongly for a sustainable mass transportation system.
Re: Likelihood of NLC Strike over Fuel Price Increase by layi(m): 2:09pm On Sep 04, 2005
I don't see any strike happening. Even if it will. It wont have any impact because it'll be too late. Its weeks now and nothing from the NLC. Thats says it all. We can't do anything about the increase this time around. Every1 is buying it.

Sufferin cry and Smilin cheesy. I'll never forget Fela
Re: Likelihood of NLC Strike over Fuel Price Increase by Chxta(m): 3:05pm On Sep 04, 2005
Whatever strike will fail. The very nature of our people will ensure that.
Re: Likelihood of NLC Strike over Fuel Price Increase by DEKING3(m): 8:55am On Sep 05, 2005
NLC has not been quiet over the issue and OBJ/Atiku's case has not overshadowed it. The NLC has been meeting with the other labour affiliates to decide on when the strike would commence.
Re: Likelihood of NLC Strike over Fuel Price Increase by klex(m): 7:19pm On Sep 05, 2005
What i think should have been the thrust of this thread should not be the likelihood of a strike, but the likelihood of it effecting any meaningful reversal (if any at all) on the pump prices. That to me is the real issue!

Lets face it, the strike option is totally played out, its now taking on tragic-comic proportions, it has become a knee-jerk response to government. Can the NLC please be a little bit more constructive in their thinking
Re: Likelihood of NLC Strike over Fuel Price Increase by DEKING3(m): 8:08am On Sep 06, 2005
An offensive rally has now been fixed for Wednesday 14th of Sept. 2005 to start up in Lagos and then proceed to other parts of the country but if this rallies don't achieve the desired result, then the strike would take place.
Re: Likelihood of NLC Strike over Fuel Price Increase by Chxta(m): 10:07am On Sep 11, 2005
Fixing a rally after giving people 2-3 weeks to get used to the new fuel prices! NLC give me a break.
Re: Likelihood of NLC Strike over Fuel Price Increase by DEKING3(m): 6:24pm On Sep 12, 2005
Chxta I think you have a point there. Nigerians are already getting used to it and forfeiting their means of livelihood for a day might cause more harm than good. But I would have still wanted the strike to be carried out.
Re: Likelihood of NLC Strike over Fuel Price Increase by Seun(m): 2:03pm On Sep 15, 2005
Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the coalition of civil society groups yesterday in Lagos held the first in the series of the rallies to protest the recent hike in prices of petroleum products. The rally drew out a large crowd of protesters from all works of life.

The Federal Government has however, commended the NLC and other organisers for holding a peaceful rally to drive home their point rather than the strike option. It also gave indications of a possible downward review in the pump prices of petroleum products following noticeable drop in the cost of refined crude in the international market.

http://thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=28238
Re: Likelihood of NLC Strike over Fuel Price Increase by Bibi(m): 2:08pm On Sep 15, 2005
That''s what I call a civilized protest and a civilized response, rather than previous confrontational and mostly destructive approach. Its noteworthy that Labour worked with the police to stage a peaceful rally. The old IG would have said NO WAY and display the normal confrontational stand, the new IG was rather "ok, lets work out the modality of the rally". Labour, Police and the Government seems to be getting more civilized. Who says Nigeria is not getting better?

(1) (Reply)

Is The Capital Punishment Still In Nigeria? / A Clash With Untrained Uba Prestige Bank Manager / Poverty Vs Climate Change:which Should Be Africa's Headache

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.