Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,960 members, 7,821,382 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? (20373 Views)

In Memory Only (Romance) / Addicted To Romance Novels? / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Nobody: 3:59am On Aug 27, 2008
You think I wasn't addicted to? grin I started reading at the age of 11. I borrowed, stole, wasted my pocket money on them. I just look back and laugh. cheesy
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Nobody: 4:01am On Aug 27, 2008
onyinye2:

WHAT!!! shocked shocked
Zane books are HAUGHT! Esp. Honey Flava, Blackgentlemen.com, Caramel Flava, Sistergirls.com, The Sex Chronicles, Chocolate Flava, the list goes on. . . .
I have been reading these books since i was like 15 y.o. I just go so addicted.

Hot flave, caramel flava?
Even the names sounds tacky!
Abegi, bo [/i]to the [i]ring
I hate books that talks abt "oh, I loff you" "No, I love you more" or "I like the way you shake that thang, gurl". . . .Like wha da freak? boring!! angry
Abeg, give a book where someone died or something dark jare
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by onyinye2(f): 4:06am On Aug 27, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

Hot flave, caramel flava?
Even the names sounds tacky!
Abegi, bo [/i]to the [i]ring
I hate books that talks about "oh, I loff you" "No, I love you more" or "I like the way you shake that thang, girl". . . .Like wha da freak? boring!! angry
Abeg, give a book where someone died or something dark jare
You should read "Contagious" By Quentin Carter. It has the best of both genres and once you pick it up. . . . you aint never going to put it down. Real Talk.

stillwater:

You think I wasn't addicted to? grin I started reading at the age of 11. I borrowed, stole, wasted my pocket money on them. I just look back and laugh. cheesy
I use to sneak to the book shop and buy all these books. I read romance novels from Romeo& Juliet to Mistress of the Game. It just doesnt get any betta.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by iice(f): 4:15am On Aug 27, 2008
stillwater:

I specifically set for those with hard gruelling sexual illustrations. I hated when at the end they made up because I liked the fights. grin Does anyone think I was interested in reading all those nonsense at the beginning, abeg!!! I used to flip pages to get to what I wanted undecided cheesy

LMAO i do that too grin grin
I like some of them though, i kindda have the tendency to ignore the lovey dovey parts and pick up other stuffs from the book.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Nobody: 4:20am On Aug 27, 2008
onyinye2:

You should read "Contagious" By Quentin Carter. It has the best of both genres and once you pick it up. . . . you aint never going to put it down. Real Talk.
No thanks.
Mystery Novels were made esp. for me
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by slyk2(m): 11:16am On Aug 27, 2008
when a woman starts reading romantic novels, be it known to you that she is seeking info to apply.
these books they read is responsible for the pendulum act seen in their love life.
the more they read they more they are confused.

its quite easy to deal with a woman that reads such novels coz they have nothing to offer but looking for fantasy.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by allyours: 11:25am On Aug 27, 2008
ladies ladies ladies.I tink its a natural enduament by God Himself,though some tink its b'cos ladies luv 2 leave in liars dat they believe so much in unrealistic FANTASIES,they all hv their but nella made some really gud sense in her reply,it truly deals wit their emotions.they like wat they want hear and believe.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by alex406(m): 11:26am On Aug 27, 2008
Women love romance, Gbamm!!!
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by oyekumbi(f): 11:49am On Aug 27, 2008
I dont like romance novels anymore myself. I used to read dem bak in secondary skool days but found out later dey all had d same finishin so I stopped but now am into real action novels. Dose ones u'll wish u took part in dem (smile). Like dose of Jeffrey archer, John grisham, DS, Sidney Sheldon etc
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by carmelily: 12:55pm On Aug 27, 2008
oyekumbi:

dey all had d same finishin so I stopped but now am into real action novels. Dose ones u'll wish u took part in them (smile). Like dose of Jeffrey archer, John grisham, DS, Sidney Sheldon etc

i found out about the "the same finishing"/ predictable part when i was about 11 years old. That was when i stopped reading romance novels. John Grisham's the bomb. Irving Wallace and Erich Segal are VERY good too. I'd rather do "romantic" than "romance" books. Stuff like Erich Segal's "LOVE STORY" and "Oliver's Story", Waller's "The Bridges of Madison County" and "A Thousand Country Roads", Nicholas Sparks' "A Walk To Remember" and all that. But Mills and Boon and stuff SUCK big time.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by omoovie(f): 2:47pm On Aug 27, 2008
Zane books are ewwyuck! Blech! My friend pressured me into reading one and I was like never again! D way d woman describes the main thing is just GHE_TTO, raw and crass! For a while there I used to read Nora Roberts and Denise Robbins until I rediscovered intrigues, scifi and fantasies like the Kusheline legacy by Jacqueline Carey, the Sun Sword series by Michelle West (Plots like this don't come everyday! You can't find that in silly harlequin romances and mills and boons!) the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu books - Zahrah the Windseeker and The Shadow Speaker, JK Rowling books, G. R. R. Martin books, and things of that nature. I LOVE such books! These days the kind of books I read are 2000+ pages long and are 3 - 12 part series!

Screw romance novels - they get so trite and unrealistic! I understand why women read them (Lord knows we r seriously starved for romantic men) but I've grown past that. Men like that don't exist and if they do they are taken or gay! I'D take some intrigue, fantasy, dark gothic novels and good scifi anyday men, gimme something I can sink my teeth into!
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by md4real(m): 4:21pm On Aug 27, 2008
simply put, they believe that love is whAT you read in books!
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by denony(m): 7:43pm On Aug 27, 2008
It's because women can be trick with unrealistic dreams.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by cartonflie(m): 8:40pm On Aug 27, 2008
smiley common "NELLA" why do you have to say that when their are many novels for you ladies to read out there!!, y because i don't belive that you women have feelings.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by cartonflie(m): 8:43pm On Aug 27, 2008
stillwater, if reading romance novel is good for you women why braeking hearts that are not meant to bo broken. cry
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by cartonflie(m): 8:46pm On Aug 27, 2008
iice, please kindly tell me y you ignore them? grin
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by cartonflie(m): 8:51pm On Aug 27, 2008
rubby pearl Y mystry novels angry
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by odogho: 8:55pm On Aug 27, 2008
I like romance novels because they makes me feel relaxed anytime.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Aug 27, 2008
cartonflie:

rubby pearl Y mystry novels angry
why not?
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Pepeye(f): 9:41pm On Aug 27, 2008
Why the complain?, as far as they read at all…nigerians don’t have a reading culture
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Nobody: 1:50am On Aug 28, 2008
cartonflie:

stillwater, if reading romance novel is good for you women why braeking hearts that are not meant to bo broken. cry

How do you mean? undecided
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Sisikill: 2:26am On Aug 28, 2008
We read 'em to escape the harsh realities of our romanceless world. cry
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by iice(f): 2:32am On Aug 28, 2008
cartonflie:

iice, please kindly tell me y you ignore them? grin

because it's not what am interested in
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Sisikill: 3:00am On Aug 28, 2008
@ iice
Lol, you and me both. My sister thinks it's the reason I have problem writing romance and all that lovey, dovey crapola. The moment I see "Slowly undressing" the pages starts flickering, sometimes I don't even touch 'em. . . It's like mind control.

Seriously though why do they all have to slooooowly UnCloth? For ordinary bath, I don't slowly UnCloth then it's right in the middle of the action I start unbuttoning one. by. one? Yeesh!
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by iice(f): 3:10am On Aug 28, 2008
LMAO mind control indeed grin
You like it when they tear the clothes off? tongue
The slowly undressing thing, yeah i move past that fast fast to the real action grin
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Sisikill: 4:02am On Aug 28, 2008
Lol, I swear it was mind control and hell yeah the tearing of the clothes is preferable to the slowly undressing.

My first real romance, romance book was [b]Slow Heat in Heaven [/b]by Sandra Brown. The name should have been a hint, right? Nope, not to me. . . hey, I’ve never had a problem admitting I can be sometimes slow. Anyway, before this book, all I read were books where someone was murdered, possessed, hunted and the usual bloody good stuff.

This is how it started, my sisters and I were traveling and I had miscalculated,  . . I usually have at least 3 books with me but somehow this time, I didn't and was so happy to see my sister had extra book. I start reading, it didn’t look so bad. Oh la la! Someone is dead. . . an old man but a dead person nonetheless, Brilliant! There seems to be a mystery of sorts here, I'm liking, I'm liking! The main guy is a li'l on the caveman macho side for me but aah, I'm sure I’ll get past that and before I can finish that thought. . . BAM! Sandra Brown took it to another level. Okay, I don’t know if you’ve read any of her books but Sandra brown is borderline insane with her descriptions. 

So there I was. . . 13yrs old, sitting in the most uncomfortable airline seat ever with one sister on my left. . . fast asleep, the second on the other side of the aisle doing whatever, reading [i]"he flickered his tongue on her clitoris" ([/i]I swear I didn’t know what that was. . . Clitoris I mean) I quickly closed the book and looked around hoping no one saw me (if it was today, I'm sure they would have suspected I was up to no good and maybe the innocent looking thing in my hand was a bomb not a book with the way my eyes was darting all over the place) Jeebus! What the heck was that? So this is what my sister reads? What can of perverted person am I related to? I swear on everthing, I am telling my mommy on her and maybe even Hadjia (my grandmother) too. . . just as soon as I finish the book. Yep, I couldn’t stop!

Now before you call me hypocrite, let me explain myself. See, I had to find out for my peace of mind that the two people having sex were not freaking siblings because right to the very second they were grunting and panting, this insane woman insinuated they were half siblings!! Can you imagine this rubbish? It was too much for my 13 yrs old mind to comprehend! When I was done ( I skipped pages like a mofo) I jejely dropped back in my sister’s bag and nary a word I said. It took me 3 yrs to pick up another romance book. Luckily Judith McNaught is a delightful writer.

Here's an idea, maybe we should all talk about how first romance novel experience. We have kukuma accepted we like to read it, so what else is there to talk about?  tongue
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by KarmaMod(f): 4:11am On Aug 28, 2008
Lol incest? You sure it wasnt a V.C. Andrews book?

The closest I came to"romance books" was Sweet Valley High books.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Sisikill: 4:32am On Aug 28, 2008
Nah, it wasn't Flowers in the Attic like ( what was V. C Andrews thinking). These ones thought they might be but couldn't fight the attraction and were quite relieved when they found out they weren't. . . after sexing each other up like oh I don't know 5 TIMES!! (Errrr. . . I'm guessing of course, remember I skipped pages  wink )

I got tired of the Sweet Valley Highs quickly, meanwhile I'D read the Famous fives, Secret Sevens, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drews over and over again. Also loved CS Lewis Narnia Series, The Malloy Towers and St.Claires books.

Did You ever complete the Series for Flowers in the Attic.  . . especially Gardens of Shadows? Eeeeek!

Find out some few years back that it wasn't even VC Andrews who wrote the rest of it but a ghostwriter. Apparently, FITA was the only she wrote. No wonder it stood out.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by KarmaMod(f): 5:07am On Aug 28, 2008
I havent read the rest of the books, said I would someday Lol is it obvious that it's not her writing?

Lol what's the premise for Garden of Shadows

I loved Nancy Drew! lol Hardy Boys, Bobsy Twins, Tales of The 4th Grade Nothing, Westside Stories, Babysitter's Club, Dogs Dont Tell Jokes, 6th grade secrets, Mallory Towers, St Claires, Fear Street, etc.

Favorite was R.L Stine books
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Sisikill: 5:32am On Aug 28, 2008
Let's just say the rest of the books in the series seemed a little forced, you know. As if going out of the way to match Flowers in the Attic in everything. . . especially the ick factor.

Gardens of Shadows is the last but the first. It tells the story of how Chris and Cathy's parents - Chris and Corrine (I think) met. . . Why the grandmother Livia became the person she was in FITA and some minor characters introduced in Petals in the winds, If there be Thorns and Seeds of Yesterday.

Apart from the forced part, I'll recommend reading everything.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by KarmaMod(f): 6:03am On Aug 28, 2008
Lmao I just spoled everything for myself with wikipedia. The plots of all the rest of them Gosh. How many deaths? How many kids? How many affairs? geez

What I extremely hated about FITA is that with the number of times the kids were able to sneak around the house, why the hell didnt they tell someone who they are so as to expose their LovePeddler of a mother. It was so annoying and frustrating. angry
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by yettidear(f): 9:41am On Aug 28, 2008
@Topic

WHY DO LADIES LIKE TO READ ROMANCE NOVELS?

ANSWER :

SAME REASON WHY MEN LOVE TO ASK DUMP QUESTIONS LIKE "WHY DO LADIES LIKE TO READ ROMANCE NOVELS"! tongue shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Children Of Thunder / Getting Lost In Lust (18+) / More Than A Flirt (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.