Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! (9436 Views)

Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. / My Road Trip From Lagos To Ibadan. Pictures! / The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by EI(m): 1:05pm On Aug 25, 2008
showbobo:

@EI

Your kids are lucky.I was born and bred in Lagos and never visited other states till now angry angry.I wish i had such opportunity when i was a kid.Hope you guys had fun anyway, Do you reside in Lagos

showbobo,

No O! Lagos is not where I want to grow a family; not with the traffic wahala  undecided

We thank God for present day kids who have much more opportunities than we had (as kids).
Sure we had fun and trust God for life, health and His provisions to expand the scope of trip (an eye on the West African coast), in a couple of years time if Christ tarries. . .
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by adechuks(m): 1:48pm On Aug 25, 2008
showbobo:

@EI

Your kids are lucky.I was born and bred in Lagos and never visited other states till now angry angry.I wish i had such opportunity when i was a kid.Hope you guys had fun anyway, Do you reside in Lagos

Yea, I always felt 'sorry' for Lagos-kids while growing up. Remarkably for me, whenever i mentioned a simple popular novel while in the boarding house, the lagos boys would say thay had seen the film. Tom Sawyerr, Prince and the pauper, Oliver twist are actually films to them, not books. They just didnt know what they were missing.
It was also interesting that majority had never seen snakes b4, except inside zoo (which they still did not have).

Not too late though.I myself lived in Lagos for five years after graduation some years ago. And i'm glad to be out.
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/editorial_opinion/article02//indexn2_html?pdate=250808&ptitle=Suffering%20and%20smiling%20in%20Lagos

Back to the topic. My parents first lived in Zaria after marriage and later moved us down south. They took us kids round a huge part of nigeria in the 80s, with a sister in FGGC Akure, and a brother in Ilorin, we also visited the FGC in Ugwualawo once. That was a Mr & Mrs Bako kind of experience (or shd i say a Mr & Mrs EI). The Makurdi bridge wasnt quite done so went by ferry thru Agenebode in present-day Edo and landed in Idah (present-day Kogi). I also went to Jos much later.

Some people just simply hate the process -traveling, They just want to get there! And while this is understandable on nigerian roads, i have a friend that simply cant look out of an airplane window. he starts sweating very profusely and refuses to answer you during take-off or landing. He's at that moment gripping the arm rests. He once heard that most plane crashes happen either during take-off or landing.

Mark Twain recommended travel as the best source of inspiration.
We all can do with emulating EI.
Good job.
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by realborn(m): 2:35pm On Aug 25, 2008
@ EI,

Just an addendum to what others have said. Wow Wow Wow that is all I can say. Your family is lucky. Thank God for Journey mercies. Much more thanks for humbly sharing your experience with us. smiley
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by EI(m): 5:17pm On Aug 25, 2008
adechuks:

Not too late though.I myself lived in Lagos for five years after graduation some years ago. And i'm glad to be out.
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/editorial_opinion/article02//indexn2_html?pdate=250808&ptitle=Suffering%20and%20smiling%20in%20Lagos

Back to the topic. My parents first lived in Zaria after marriage and later moved us down south. They took us kids round a huge part of nigeria in the 80s, with a sister in FGGC Akure, and a brother in Ilorin, we also visited the FGC in Ugwualawo once. That was a Mr & Mrs Bako kind of experience (or should i say a Mr & Mrs EI). The Makurdi bridge wasnt quite done so went by ferry through Agenebode in present-day Edo and landed in Idah (present-day Kogi). I also went to Jos much later.

Some people just simply hate the process -traveling, They just want to get there!

Mark Twain recommended travel as the best source of inspiration.
We all can do with emulating EI.
Good job.

Adechuks,

An informative link you provided - thanks.

Nice that you also got your opportunities as you grew up - mobile parents, who were also adventurers wink
I also got some opportunities too, in my very early teens:
- an 8wk long holiday visits to maternal aunties in Ibadan & Ilorin ('78 and '79 resp.)
- a 2wk Easter holiday visit to a paternal auntie in Lagos, 1980.

The best was saved for the last, as my parents as civil servants were able to afford one way tickets for four of us (my brothers, a cousin & I) on defunct Nigerian Airways to Lagos (our econonmy don spoil sha), while my uncle sponsored the return air trip cool

And my uncle spoilt us kids sha O - bless him.
Treats like many road sight seeing; lunch at Federal Palace; film show (Mario Puzo's "The Godfather"wink at then very active/standard National Theatre; Easter Sunday at bar beach (when it was still a beach undecided) etc. I still have the pictures, which I cherish so. . . cry
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by sultaan(m): 7:43pm On Aug 25, 2008
Had the best time of my life till now was the NYSC time I spent in Gungul(Benue, Konshisha LG).Tivs are the best people I ever met till now.

Good to go round Nigeria one in a while and see those old values we've all forgottten.
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by salam12(m): 8:34pm On Aug 25, 2008
EI, your exploit is quite interesting and should be emulated by people that attach value to the environment. Traveling by air has its own merit in terms of safety and time saving, but hardly have any value in area of knowledge acquisition when it comes to environment and people. Despite the odds of bad roads, security and associated troubles on Nigeria roads, I feel this type of adventure could be highly rewarding when the money and time is available.
More grease to your elbow.
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by PapaBrowne(m): 3:57am On Aug 26, 2008
@EI
Niiiiiicccccce!!!! Way to go man!Way to go.
I'm definitely going to have an extensive trip across Nigeria sometime, maybe for like a whole month criss-crossing them potholes and checkpoints.

Just one question- What State,City or Town left you guys with the best memories??
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by EI(m): 7:38am On Aug 26, 2008
PapaBrowne:

Just one question- What State,City or Town left you guys with the best memories??

Pops grin

Normally Calabar is my choice for tranquility, minimal hassles, fun etc.
For this trip, and without giving it too much thoughts, it is the village called Miango!

Miango is a village 30mins from Jos with a temp of 18-20deg late July, housing Kent Academy (an American ECWA/SIM managed grade 1-6 boarding school) and Miango Rest Home (MRH). Some facilities are the age of most grandpas around - the central restaurant/reading room for MRH was commissioned in mid '40s.

The best ambience anywhere in Nigeria; flowers, natural rocks, staff residential area for KA, chalets for MRH (for up to 120 guests!), 3-course meal system, courtesy/general hospitability of staff, welcomeness, etc.
Adult and children friendly - playground facilities and 1 to 4 bedroom chalets (each with its small compound) that provide individual families their privacy.
Quite a perfect resort/retreat environment, appropriate for non-Lagosians in spirit (or Lagosians that have repented and wish to find an outlet out of the fast lane, in settling gently into the real world). . .  grin

PS:
For all 1989 KNCCFites, take this as advance notice that a 1-week family retreat may hold at MRH next year as part of 20th year reunion. . . stay tuned!
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by Nobody: 4:16am On Oct 19, 2008
Nice pix.

even the elephant shelters better pass some ppls home.

Next visit, try Ekiti state, I assure you, you'll love it. kiss kiss
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by biolabee(m): 5:03am On Oct 19, 2008
this is truly a wonderful experience for u and ur family
pls can u put a more detailed itinery on the page like the duration of every trip,attractions and maybe hotls used

sth like this,

[table][tr][td]Ikot Ekpene - Calabar[/td][td]2 hrs[/td][td]Yakari resrve etc[/td][td]additional info like hotel and price[/td][/tr][/table]

I'd like to do sth like that too sometime
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by EI(m): 11:09pm On Oct 19, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

Nice pix.

even the elephant shelters better pass some ppls home.

Next visit, try Ekiti state, I assure you, you'll love it. kiss kiss

Ruby,

Ekiti State?!?  shocked

Interesting. But pray, where exactly in Ekiti State do you have in mind?
I was there a couple of times ~15yrs back to check on a relative at FedPoly (Ado-Ekiti), and nothing about that whole part of then Ondo State looked appealing for a family visit. I guess there must have been considerable changes to warrant your advice. . .

PS: Your statement about homes, not pearl quality. . .
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by EI(m): 12:23am On Oct 20, 2008
biolabee:

this is truly a wonderful experience for u and ur family
please can u put a more detailed itinery on the page like the duration of every trip,attractions and maybe hotls used

sth like this,

[table][tr][td]Ikot Ekpene - Calabar[/td][td]2 hrs[/td][td]Yakari resrve etc[/td][td]additional info like hotel and price[/td][/tr][/table]

I'd like to do sth like that too sometime

Biola,

Ol' guy, sub-details of de itinerary go long pass WAEC essay  wink

Actually I thought I earlier did a few lines and pictures to show some of the public places stayed. I will get a little bit more specific hereafter on your requested additional information (hotels, rates, distances etc), although there will be a definite challenge getting trip durations and distances right at this time, nine weeks after the road trip!

As accommodation for my family of six would always be the top cost element, the plan was to minimise overall costs (as much as possible), through planning stops at places we had very close family members and friends.
However this was limited only to the Southern axis, except Kano where we spent two nights with the remnant of our (i.e. my wife & I) KNCCF number, during our service year in Kano.

Making the trip within the Northern axis was a little bit tricky for someone like me that had never on my own driven through the North before. It took quite some planning in fitting into the family life/job schedule of another of our then KNCCF friends, resident in Plateau State. He it is, that assisted with the bookings and road trips within Plateau & Bauchi, and the last-mile trip from Miango/Jos, to Kano - the guy being our guide of course  grin

Northern axis

a) From the South . . .through Auchi-Okene-Lokoja-Abuja.
We passed through Benin about 1010hrs, had a 1hr stop at Lokoja for lunch and got to Abuja at past 1700hrs.
Accomm: Abuja - Transcorp Hilton @N29k+ per night for standard room; meals at N4k+ per plate  undecided

b) Abuja-Keffi-Jos.
3hr trip, with Abuja-Keffi road topping my list of best roads in the course of the road trip.
40mins from Jos to Miango, our base for the Plateau-Bauchi runs.
Accomm: Miango - Miango rest house (MRH) @ almost N7k for a 3 bedroom chalet (with living/dining rooms!); meals free for kids less than 6yrs and N800 (N850?) per meal, something like a buffet, for adults. Breakfast was complimentary . . . what even Hilton didn't offer us!!!
Getting space at MRH must not be taken for granted as so many groups regularly use the facilities for retreats etc. We had to confirm our reservation well in advance through a down payment, and when we had to launch out to Bauchi, we also held our chalet (where we kept the bulk of our travel items).

c) Miango-Jos-Bauchi-Yankari; a little over than 4hrs
The main gate of Yankari games reserve is about 30mins after Bauchi (from Jos), but that point is about 56km from the YGR living settlement for guests. Good and tarred road within though, but person go tire for that leg of journey sha, with advised speed limit and all the road warnings signs that tell you to watch out for crossing animals   embarassed
Accomm: Four classifications of chalets; different sizes. Since we sponsored another family on that trip, we stuck with the third least expensive chalet class, per family. Rate at N14k/night. Meals at N850 per person, or something like that. Unfortunately, no complimentary breakfast   grin
Because of the number of tourists (lots of foreigners), one was expected to make bookings of tour vehicles the evening before, something we didn't do. But it worked out for good! Rom 8:28!! Because it was an opportunity to explore Wikki hot springs, and for me to get a good dip (and swim tongue) in the warm spring water.
WWS is within YGR; trekkable.
A 1hr ride of tour vehicle costs N7k; each vehicle takes 9-10 persons outside driver and tour guide, if I can remember correctly. An option for those that have the right eqt (4-wheelers) and can't endure the queue, was to rent a tour guide and go it yourself into the wild. . .

d) Yankari-Bauchi-Jos-Miango
-do-

e) Miango-Jos-Miango; various!
Visits to Jos wildlife park (where we got more sightings than YGR) and Church on Sunday. . .

f) Miango-Jos-Kano
Can't remember details of this journey, but methinks about 3hrs or a little bit more.
A lot of army presence at some point; almost a score of sentry posts at almost every 5km interval, at a portion of that highway that had dense forestation at both sides, and apparently was recently a hot spot for armed banditry (Nigeriens/Chadians?). A nice assurance/feeling for us travellers. And of course the army guys welcomed the cash token at every point we crossed - not like I may have done same if they were police checkpoints (also not like the civility we may have encountered!). . .
Accomm: Free!   grin wink

g) Kano-Zaria-(Niger State)-Mokwa-Jebba-Ilorin
I will do this under the narratives around the Southern axis. It has been two hours since I put my family to sleep bed, so it is my turn to get some sleep  cool

We covered the Northern axis over nine nights, of stops. That axis was the business part of the holiday, while the Southern axis, which gulped 67% of time put into subject trip, was also optimised for family visits.

Overall, we endured 2,900km+, travelling within the Northern axis, up till Kano. . .
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by nkc(m): 5:07am On Oct 20, 2008
EI:

Inspired,

Sure we had fun, thanks.

nkc's whereabouts would have been a concern if I hadn't know six weeks ago that he changed jobs and was holed somewhere (outside Abuja; and network access) on staff induction exercises. That disrupted our earlier plan to "catch-up" in Abuja - the guy also smoothly avoided the cost of hosting my family grin

His absence is taking much off the humor content of this Forum.
If I fail to reach him via phone/email this week, I'll do what I've been contemplating for weeks - place a wanted ad on him tongue

lol, just saw dis now, inspired, thanks for asking after me, make i send my account number grin grin grin grin grin grin

as for EI, i will make it up, me i wanna buy Q7, and road trip with my fiancee and my travelling bag tongue tongue tongue
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by spoilt(f): 5:14am On Oct 20, 2008
Wow!!!!!!
It sure sounds like fun. I like travelling but i'm spoilt. I like to go by air and arrive in the blink of an eye. grin
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by EI(m): 7:34am On Oct 20, 2008
nkc:

lol, just saw this now, inspired, thanks for asking after me, make i send my account number grin grin grin grin grin grin

as for EI, i will make it up, me i want to buy Q7, and road trip with my fiancee and my travelling bag tongue tongue tongue

nkc,

Na me u wan dagbo, eh?  lipsrsealed
No make vague promises, tell me now, how u wan take make up - at least u know say my side dry small and u suppose dey loaded now!

Last time we checked, the baby bulls were still in hiding/hibernation, not in hurry to return to witness the trauma of so much blood (of their papas) on the floor. The bears are really having a field day. . .  cry

PS: Meanwhile, yield not to the temptation of making such a long haul trip with your fiancee. . .
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by nkc(m): 10:04am On Oct 20, 2008
grin grin grin grin grin grin bears r still here
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by vinchecks: 10:21am On Oct 20, 2008
nkc:

lol, just saw this now, inspired, thanks for asking after me, make i send my account number grin grin grin grin grin grin

as for EI, i will make it up, me i want to buy Q7, and road trip with my fiancee and my travelling bag tongue tongue tongue

Account Number ? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Oh ok, account number for the hot money rituals from freshmoney, I remember now, text me your account number . . . . grin grin grin grin
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by biolabee(m): 5:45pm On Oct 20, 2008
tx EI would surely note ur itinery and be in touch with u for more info esp on the abuja- jos - yankari - miango end of the trip as i may be interested in that next year.

for that purpose,
1. what is the best time to go and see the best sigths considering waether such as harmattan which im senstive to
2. do u have contacts of the miango guest hse so that i can make bookings
3. does u have yankari's contacts too,

tx once again
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by 190: 11:56pm On Oct 21, 2008
el make u cut us all these crap wen u dey talk sef e, u don too praise ur self jore, people dey wen dey travel around the world 4rm 12am to 3am dem nor dey boast abi u dey hear 4 their mouth,[s][/s]i am not sayin i am one of dem o, my hand pure[s][/s] but all the same wetin u supose yan 4 here na HOW MUCH U SPEND 4 THE WHOLE WAKA, anyway welcom bak man e b like say u get chesse yanfu yanfu, i wan go edge of Nigeria i think maiduguri shout 4rm there mak every1 hear me
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by EI(m): 5:55pm On Oct 22, 2008
190:

el make u cut us all these crap when u dey talk sef e, u don too praise ur self jore, people dey when dey travel around the world from 12am to 3am them nor dey boast abi u dey hear 4 their mouth,[s][/s]i am not sayin i am one of them o, my hand pure[s][/s] but all the same wetin u supose yan 4 here na HOW MUCH U SPEND for the WHOLE WAKA

EI and not el kiss
My apologies if I came out as effecting self praise. embarassed
Trust me if you can, that was not the intent . . . and who says I have not travelled around the world? tongue

biolabee:

tx EI would surely note ur itinery and be in touch with u for more info esp on the abuja- jos - yankari - miango end of the trip as i may be interested in that next year.

for that purpose,
1. what is the best time to go and see the best sigths considering waether such as harmattan which I'm senstive to
2. do u have contacts of the miango guest hse so that i can make bookings
3. does u have yankari's contacts too,

tx once again

Bros,
I've some contacts and I will be glad to be of any assistance. Basically to get more value, you should visit Yankari during the dry season, otherwise the thick foliage prevents good viewing of the animals.
But to avoid some sensitivities like that from 190 and privacy of my contacts, kindly send a mail to "ei_nland@yahoo.com" and we can discuss further. . .
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by brownbonno(m): 6:42pm On Oct 22, 2008
EI:

EI and not el kiss
My apologies if I came out as effecting self praise. embarassed
Trust me if you can, that was not the intent . . . and who says I have not travelled around the world? tongue

This apology aches me.There is no need for it,you did a great thing and should be praised.
Most Nigerian will prefer to send their families overseas, instead of local trips within Nigeria.What you did IMHO need to be emulated and praised.
Please give any possible information that may help other people to undertake such a discovery trip.

@190,

There is no big deals in travelling around the world.Travelling is a hobby.
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by biolabee(m): 6:46pm On Oct 22, 2008
190:

el make u cut us all these crap when u dey talk sef e, u don too praise ur self jore, people dey when dey travel around the world from 12am to 3am them nor dey boast abi u dey hear 4 their mouth,[s][/s]i am not sayin i am one of them o, my hand pure[s][/s] but all the same wetin u supose yan 4 here na HOW MUCH U SPEND for the WHOLE WAKA, anyway welcom bak man e b like say u get chesse yanfu yanfu, i wan go edge of Nigeria i think maiduguri shout from there mak everyone hear me

i believe the guy just joking and trying to generate more traffic on the thread,
EI good job once again i sent u an email
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by igwe11(m): 8:08pm On Oct 22, 2008
cool cool cool cool
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by EI(m): 2:38pm On Oct 23, 2008
biolabee:

i believe the guy just joking and trying to generate more traffic on the thread,
EI good job once again i sent u an email

Biola,

I think so too   wink

I've just sent a reply to your email - apologies for the late response
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by EI(m): 2:52pm On Oct 23, 2008
brownbonno:

This apology aches me.There is no need for it,you did a great thing and should be praised.
Most Nigerian will prefer to send their families overseas, instead of local trips within Nigeria.What you did IMHO need to be emulated and praised.
Please give any possible information that may help other people to undertake such a discovery trip.

Thanks bros. That is the spirit!

I hope to provide all info available to me, that can help those that have plans along same routes I was privileged to pass through. That is the whole purpose of sharing, and about one key benefits of subscribing to this Forum (but nna, wait O! Maybe this should be under Travel ).

Anyhow, una wish na my command. . .   grin
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by penfold(m): 10:16am On Dec 17, 2008
EI, a beg, can u give me precise directions to and contacts at MRH, place sounds like an ideal place for an honeymoon, obudu ranch is "polluted". please can u do this ASAP, iyawo is just around the corner. Thanks Bro!!
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by tkb417(m): 10:50am On Dec 17, 2008
na u get all those kids? ahhhhhh
money full ur hand.

abeg who sold that car to u? Jenji?

where is jenji abeg?
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by igwe11(m): 12:13pm On Dec 17, 2008
tkb417:

money full ur hand.

where is jenji abeg?
You ain't need visa at all, just holla him at tikola70@hotmail.com
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by tkb417(m): 2:07pm On Dec 17, 2008
Igwe
thanks man. I noticed ure very visible here
whats ur number so i can call u up too. need to ask some questions thou
mine is 0803 978 0189
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by donciccio: 12:03am On Dec 18, 2008
Oga welcome o!
I 4 knw say u 1 go area na, I 4 send u 2 chairman (Lion). Chairman don old o, but it neva tire o. Even d@ baby Elephant don grow too. D@s life, CHANGE!
I was there too in 2004.
Enuff fun 4 d@ jos jungle o,
Cheers,
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by EI(m): 12:41pm On Jan 01, 2009
tkb417:

money full ur hand.

where is jenji abeg?

Compliments of the season to all and wishing you all God's grace and peace this new year and beyond, if Christ tarries.

tkb (ya name almost hit 419 sha),

How una dey? Sorry for late reply; na work and other distractions. Yes na Jenju sell am - Igwe prove say im na real chief (thanks to him), as e give u de correct details.

As for de pikins, yes na me O! Thank God as E dey supply through His grace and mercies.
Re: Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! by Middleman: 7:42pm On Jan 07, 2009
good day sir!
took me a while to find this thread,
since u recently took a tour round Nigeria i felt u willbe the best person to seek advice from concerning a road trip,
do u have any idea what i will go through traveling from lagos to abuja, routes? road conditions? law enforcement? etc, Thanx

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Kind Of Car Can I Get For #200,000(naira). / Hyundai Mobis Invents World-first Sunroof Airbag / Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.