Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,905 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Secrets Of First Class Students? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Secrets Of First Class Students? (74971 Views)

Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life / 5 Qualities Of 'first Class' Students / Respect First Class Students In Public Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by dayokanu(m): 2:58pm On Aug 29, 2008
Yes, Deji Akere, finished from Suleja Academy. He was a genuis. He now holds the record of ALL-TIME HIGHEST CGPA in Ife. I wrote one article about him, published in The Nation newspaper in December last year. Unlike Shittu, Deji was very gentle and easy going, so there was no hype about him in Ife. A friend of mine since primary school, Femi Taiwo, was in Deji's class, in Ife. This my childhood friend competed with Deji for the TOP POSITION in the Faculty of Technology for the set, but he later succumbed and confessed to me that competing with Deji was like hitting your head against a rock!!!. This my friend, who was the best SSCE student in Kwara state in 2000 read far more than Deji, but the NATURAL FACTOR just didn't make him near Deji when results came out. In any case, Femi finished second in the Dept with 4.75(far from Deji's 4.94, despite conscious efforts to outdo Deji from year 1-3, until he submitted in yr 4, when it no longer became possible). This my friend, Femi, I'm talking about, is himself a genuis o. He led SSCE in Kwara state 2000, shattered GRE and now doing his Phd directly(without masters, left Nigeria Dec 2007, abandoned NYSC) in University of Arkansas, USA, the first Nigerian to be given admission for that programme at Phd level in Arkansas(and he was just 24 years). But even Genuis get class. Deji belongs to a higher class than him!!!

Does this guy attend SCM? Was he the Tutorial coordinator (exploit makers)
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Jarus(m): 3:50pm On Aug 29, 2008
dayokanu:

Does this guy attend SCM? Was he the Tutorial coordinator (exploit makers)

Yes, he attended SCM and took tutorials at Exploit makers. I think before he graduated he held one top position in SCM(not sure whether it was President).

Although I'm a Muslim, but being somebody close to me I knew he used to be a strong member of SCM. He was definitely the person you meant.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:47pm On Aug 29, 2008
Eyo,

Thanks for your kind words. I'm also glad to know that you also made 1st class. Congratulations!

I started studying permutations and combinations in SS1 when I took Further Mathematics. We used the book "Additional Mathematics" by Douglas, Talbert and Ogum. Does that book ring a bell? Since then, the graduate classes in mathematics and theoretical computer science has given me a more comprehensive view of the theory of counting. As you now know, permutations and combinations are just elaborate counting techniques - no more, no less. Anyway, I'm glad I was able to share some knowledge with you across the digital divide.

As regards the not-perfect-but-very-high 780/800 GRE quant, don't worry too much - you'll have your day in court grin. Just focus on your studies, carry out your research, try to get one or two publications in some reputable journal in your field and attend some conferences - love 'em conferences grin. Also, don't hesitate to submit your ideas, in form of a well organized short paper, to a conference. One cannot overemphasize the importance of the feedback from some of these conferences. Only attend if possible.

Send me email at richy_black@yahoo.com if you want to exchange ideas offline.

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Daveshoope(m): 1:35pm On Aug 30, 2008
Just to re-emphasize, you cannot succeed doing what you dont enjoy.
I'm doing fine in Computer Science because I love computers. A friend of mine is doing badly in Economics. He claims he has always had a flair for computers.

Your interests contribute to your "FIRST_CLASSABILITY". grin

If you're not getting along fine, check your 'calling'
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by kaypound(m): 1:59pm On Aug 30, 2008
secret of a first class,
hmmm, try as much as possible to avoid the EFCC's grades dancing across your results, and how do you do that?

1) Dub in the exams hall without any shame like your life depends on it , i.e use all the micro chips you find jump from sit to sit and stretch you neck to the fullest of lengths, but make sure you are not caught or you will demonstrate it to the senate

2) settle all the sortable both in kind and in cash, giving them close marking at all times

3) pray that all your effort does not go in vain and also pray for a miracle like you never read for the exams

4) calculate your GPA at the end of every semester and and fashion out a new strategy if that fails you
Try that and tell me your results, lol, grin, On a more serious note , what does it profit a man to gain all this and lose his soul,
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by tunene: 5:06pm On Aug 30, 2008
the five points given by ife-eco are almost very true and all you need. I fall in this class of people and I must tell you he nearly said it all especially the issue of the calculator.
One important fact though is they are other students that have this trait that might not make a first class, probably due to situations beyond their control, departmental lecturers, mistakes in the first year and several others, but such students end up with very strong 2-1; such as 4.4, 4.35, 4.47, 4.3 e.t.c. Now tell me, if some courses had been in their favour, if they wouldn't have made a first; afterall 4.5 is first class.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by ayobase(m): 7:40pm On Sep 01, 2008
being a first class product no be moi moi oo.
first u have to identify ur calling,
first class?yes,you could be a first class product
in any course so far u are naturally talented in it.

dont say u wanna be this or that cos
one of ur relative or friends is,
IDENTIFY UR CALLING BROS E!!!!
Ur best subjects are determining factor.
U want to be an engineer and mathematics
is an encumber.HAA!!!

First class thing also depends on
the foundation one had.
ur primary schooling matters!!!

Always read to know and not to pass!!!!

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by oxpenny(m): 10:32am On Sep 03, 2008
[td]all men were not created equal[/td]

God is not partial in His creation. It all depend on foundations & mindsets
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by flexibles(m): 6:38pm On Sep 05, 2008
most nigerian first class students are crammers, cool XEPT SOME FEW XTRA ORDINARY GIFTED ONES.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by tobikush1(m): 7:40pm On Sep 05, 2008
i really love this article,but the truth is everything in life as principles , and also coming out with first class, you cant get a first class by going for pleasures, cause what you do extra makes you an extra ordinary pperson, and also we must be carefull with the kind of relationship we fall in especially girls they decrease your level of learning.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by ejighikeme: 3:02pm On Sep 06, 2008
@okija juju
I never meant that for one to have first class he or she must be a christian or that first class has something to do with church or prayers, what  I mean is that  one needs God's intervention and help. Have you not seen someone after much reading and studying goes into the exam hall and become confused or even after writing the exam had a missing script which automatically counted to him as a carry over and the course was recorded for him as F grade. that was what I actually meant and you should not misquote or misunderstand me. If you are doubting my class, then you can contact me via my e mail and I will tell you my school so that you can check for yourself.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by superstan(m): 3:23pm On Sep 06, 2008
dayokanu:

I AM NOT A FIRST CLASS STUDENT!!! EVEN IF I SHOULD GO BACK TO IFE FOR THE SAME COURSE I DONT THINK I WOULD MAKE A FIRST.

TO MAKE A FIRST CLASS, YOU MUST LIVE A TRIANGLE LIFE. CLASS, ROOM AND FELLOWSHIP. NONE OF THESE FIRST CLASS STUDENT EVEN WENT CLUBBING. AT LEAST IN MY FACULTY AND WE HAD LIKE 15 FIRST CLASS  ALL OF THEM WERE FELLOWSHIP BOYS.

E.G SEUN WAS A FIRST CLASS STUDENT IN IFE AND GOD!!! YOU DONT WANT TO BE LIKE HIM HE WAS DAMN BORING!!!!!! tongue tongue tongue 

i disagree with u.

there are no secrets to being a first class student other than natural brilliance.

i know of at least 2 student who were first class students and they partied like hell.

sometimes they don't even attend lectures and when exam comes, they ace it quite effortlessly

a genius does not need hours of candle burning to score high grades.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by nuggard(m): 2:32am On Sep 08, 2008
greater wisdom has no man embellished than to make claims like above.

The greatest genius says " Genius is 90% hardwork, 8% wuruwuru,1 % prayer ,0.9 % creativity,0.1% goodluck." albert Einstein.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by nkirupass(f): 6:44pm On Sep 08, 2008
Everyone is a star if you believe in you that's what you are. To be a first class student requires: setting a goal, planning, working at it, interaction with fellow students, timely study, perseverance, desire and determination
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by blesdman(m): 3:43pm On Sep 11, 2008
nICE CONTRIBUTIONS ALL
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Abolore84(m): 11:42am On Sep 12, 2008
I do not beleive there could be any forum as bright as this on site. I really appreciate all contributions to this topic and I pray that God should strenghten the sender of this topic in both financial and mental capacity.

As per the topic, Have also had the taste of being a distinction student back when I did my ND. Now, I'm a first class aspirant in the University and I pray that God should see me through in my endeavour.

First Class is not a day job. It's something that should start from the point of gaining admission into the University or Polythecnic.

Many approaches could be enployed in getting the honour; some may use scientifical approach while some may use management approach.

As for me, I utmostly maximize and manage all time at my disposal. Time management must be incorporated into your plans(which must designed at every semester - in order to compare actual with the standard set : once the actual result is below the standard, then you need to buckle up. If otherwise, then you need to improve on the standard).

Also, you need not chase after other people's CGP. You need to be more focussed on your own plans for the semester and you will be surprised what the result will be.

Moreso, dont listen to pessimistic views of other people's view in the department. Some students normally have it there cannot be any First Class in a particular depatment irrespective of all your efforts. Just be focussed and keep your head up.

Lastly, know God!! irespective of the God you serve. I beleive that we all (Muslims and Christians) serve the same God but what different is the mode of worship. So, put God first in all your doings and you will see that it will all come your way. Putting God first let you reap the benefit of being a first class student as not all first class students succeed business wise after being a first class.

I hope my experience will impact positively in fellow nairalanders aspiring to be a first class student. May all our plans go as set (AMEN)

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by azeezbaba(m): 11:06pm On Sep 12, 2008
With due respect to all 1st class in the house.

I didnt finish with a 1st class or even a 2-1, i finished with a 2-2 (3.49/5.00). Did i hear u shout WAOW but ofcourse my classmates can testify that am brilliant.

Why do we always attribute everything to God? when God himself said he will provide for those that believe in him & those that don't. So, graduating with a 1st class has nothing to do with the level of your faith.

The key to finishing with a 1st class is DILIGENCE, TIME MANAGEMENT & CONSISTENCY. I had a 4.85/5.00 semester G.P. when i was in Yr 3, 2nd Semester (which was the best SGPA in that semester, better than the other 2 chaps that graduated with 1st class).

Ques: What did i do right?
Ans: I was diligent & I managed my time well and still had time to socialize but i could not repeat the feat again because i was not consistent.

If u are brilliant and can consistently manage your time, then u can graduate with a 1st class.

SHIKENA

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by DrFerlie(m): 11:29pm On Oct 21, 2008
Where have I been all this while?

Well, making first class entails a lot: natural ability, determination and ability to compete against oneself.

I made 1st Class in Mechatronics.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Gamine(f): 2:14am On Oct 22, 2008
na beans.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by candylips(m): 9:50am On Apr 23, 2009
no na yam
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by billyfranc: 3:14pm On Apr 23, 2009
Its in you! Just be yourself and work towards it and you'll make it! , Just a little dose of jacking, drinking, smoking, clubing and jiving and you're there!
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Vladmir2: 10:58pm On Apr 25, 2009
I belong to this class.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by JisolaMar(f): 1:21pm On May 18, 2009
Hi Jarus,
i stumbled on ds thread & anoda one on "Unilag,UI or Ife" ds morning just prodding "Google".ur post are so always detailed,u don't mind ? Most pple(like me smiley) prefer a bit of anonymity on NL
i was beginning 2 thnk that u're familiar wot wt oando,kwara state,ife-eco '06.then u said u wrote that article "d unsung whizkid" & that confirmed that u're d person i thot u are.& Jarus is ur real name, I know!

Curiously,i thnk we av a particular hobby in common; keeping tabs on academically sound men.

Au i admired Shittu & thot he'd leave wt a 4.9X,break d previous records & set a nu one. He was in part 5 when u came into ife(60% eh?)
But that hype was way 2 loud!!! funny though,he didnt create it.its just d way GPA speaks 4 u in Ife.do u remember that progarm "significant & successful" or was it d other way round? that ad Dr okoya & 3 other 1st classers in attendance(Shittu inclusive). i remenber i shouted myself hoarse cheering hm that nite. he didnt even say much anyway. he just went on like "wot he didnt do etc"

ok,back 2 d subject,secrets of 1st classers?
seems like all av ben said but 4 empahsis sake i'l say set a goal 1st "i want a 1st class" .such goals even include actual CGPA. then plan 2 achieve ds goal.resume schl in time,never joke wt lectures,get relevant bks,study hard & smart,anticipate Q's & answer em,dont wait till exams 2 crash.
Above all pray.u can never do it alone.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Omolulu(m): 10:20pm On Jan 27, 2010
wamby:

MY BROTHERS N SISTERS WITH FIRST CLASS IN THIS FORUM.
ACTUALLY U GUYS HAVE TIME 4 ABSTRACT DISCUSSION OUTSIDE ACADEMICS.
IS IT DAT your SICK N TIRED OF ACADEMICS
I KNOW FIRST IS NOT EASY NO MATTER WAT. BUT MY SURPRISE
IS HOW U GUYS NOW HAVE TIME TO ASSOCIATE, MIX WITH PEOPLE.
WETIN DEY, IS IT DAT U' GUYS ARE IDLE.
ALL IS NOT BOOK. IS DAT TRUE.
IS ALL GOOD, TRY TO SHARE THE FUN.
BUT MY PEOPLE, I DON'T KNW IF U HAVE HEARD THIS SAYING
ALL DADS DO COME FIRST IN SCHOOL, COS WE CANT ASK.
I HOPE ALL CLAIMING FIRST CLASS CHAPS IS ALL TRUE.

SECRET OF FIRST CLASS IS ABSOLUTE DEVOTION TO your BOOKS
IF U TRY TO TELL MOST OF US, U PUT IN ONLY 3HOURS TO GRAB IT ALL
I ASK AMOUNT OF CONCENTRATION BEING PUT IN.
MY FELLAS DAT HANG IN THE BAR BY 1759 AND MAKE LIFE GOING.
AND ALSO MAKE CAMPUS LIFE INTERESTING ARE U THERE
GREATEST BO BO
NOTHIN THE HAPPEN, WE ALL SAILED OUT FROM THE CAMPUS.
UNDER ONE UMBRELLA.
HOPE WE ARE STILL THERE, COS, WE'LL ALWAYS BE THERE.
MY FELLOW GUYS WITH SECOND CLASS- UPPER N LOWER.
WE BETTER PASS PEOPLE WEY DEY PRIVATE UNIVERSITY BY FAR,
SORRY TO HURT ANY ONE WIT FIRST CLASS IN PRIVATE SCHOOL
CERTIFICATE GET LEVEL
AS SCHOOL GET LEVEL.
IF I DEY LIE TELL ME
THANK GOD, IS FRIDAY 4 MOST OF US
DAT UNDER WIA TO BE BY 1759,
FIRST GO READ.

what's ur point?
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Beebsyn(m): 4:26pm On Jan 28, 2010
Wow!
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by MbohoDon(m): 9:16pm On May 07, 2010
I want to say here that for u to be a first class student u need the help of God. Also u need to study ur books as well, u also need to determin to be the best u always want to be.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by emmanuel71: 6:43am On May 08, 2010
You have to read hard
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Fhijimos(m): 8:35am On Dec 01, 2010
As a new student try and go through this stuff its very infomative.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by sohiemi(m): 5:24pm On Dec 04, 2010

1 Like

Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Dec 04, 2010
Hmmm, really inspiring, ^^wishing you guys the best.
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by sohiemi(m): 6:25am On Dec 05, 2010
Re: Secrets Of First Class Students? by okundiaernest(m): 8:09am On Dec 05, 2010
thanx guys.this is the most interesting TOPIC i hav seen on n'land.and i still beleive champions are not born,but they are made.take the case of BEN CARSEN for example.he was the dullest in his class at his early age,at the end due to hard work and determination he became the best.this was someone people thought had nothing in him,and i beleive u know the rest of the story.
Like the bible says.never despise a little beginning,though the beginning may be too small.for it is the end of a journey that counts.and the GOD factor in SUCCESS is very important.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Top 7 Confraternities In Nigeria And Their History & Beliefs / Ashawo High School Signpost That Has Got People Talking(pic) / UNIJOS Admission List Released!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.