Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,007 members, 7,838,526 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? - Islam for Muslims (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? (60815 Views)

Muslims What Is JIZZYA? / Muslims, What's Happening In Your Life? A Brother Needs your Assistance. Page 15 / Muslims: What's Your Favorite Ayah Or Surah In The Quran? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Cayon(f): 6:08pm On Nov 21, 2008
hey Babs787 or Ola

Re: SIGNS OF WEAK IMAAN (#17). Need to ask a question on this

however, i don't want to "mess" up this thread because of the heading. let me know if I should open a thread to ask or . . . . .

Peace
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 6:51pm On Nov 22, 2008
@Cayon

hey Babs787 or Ola

Re: SIGNS OF WEAK IMAAN (#17). Need to ask a question on this

however, i don't want to "mess" up this thread because of the heading. let me know if I should open a thread to ask or . . . . . Huh

Peace

You may ask your question here or create a thread for the benefit of those that would benefit from it.

NL may not know that the question is here but creating a thread may make them know that certain question is being asked and as such benefit from it.

All the same, it depends on how you would like to go about it. Ask your question and Allah would be there to put us through.

Peace
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:11pm On Dec 09, 2008
Due Striving for Allah's Approval

Man strives hard to attain worldly favors on which he sets his mind as being the ultimate goal in life. He does his utmost to gain material prosperity, recognition of social status, or some other worldly benefit. For a paltry price that will slip out of his hands in a very short while, he makes an all-out effort.

Muslims, who aspire to a much greater reward, that is, to the approval of Allah and His Garden, also strive hard for their cause. Of this attribute Allah says the following:

[If any do wish for the transitory things (of this life), We readily grant them — such things as We will, to such person as We will. But then We will appoint for him Hell where he will roast, reviled and rejected. But as for anyone who desires the hereafter, and strives for it as he ought to, being a believer, his endeavours will be gratefully acknowledged.] (Al-Israa' 17:18-19)

A believer strives with "all due striving" for the approbation of Allah and for the hereafter. He "sells" his property and his life for the cause of Allah. In the Qur'an, this characteristic of believers is explained as follows:

(Allah has bought from the believers their selves and their wealth in return for the Garden. They fight in the Way of Allah and they kill and are killed. It is a promise binding on Him in the Torah, the Injil and the Qur'an and who is truer to his contract than Allah? Rejoice then in the bargain you have made. That is the great victory.) (At-Tawbah 9: 111)

No difficulty a believer encounters in the way of Allah thwarts his commitment, provided that he has sold "his property and self" to Allah. Nothing but Allah's approbation has any attraction for him. Aware that he is not the "owner" of his body and property, he never follows the vain desires of the self (nafs). Allah is the owner of his body and everything he owns, and they will be put to service in compliance with Allah's will.

This aside, whether one's determination is serious will also be tested by Allah. A believer must not avoid any struggle on Allah's path. That is because had there been any question of "easy gains," hypocrites might also perform any deed that has the appearance of being in compliance with Allah's will — and not the actual deed with which Allah will be pleased — to attain this "easy gain":

[If it had been a case of easy gains and a short journey, they would have followed you, but the distance was too great for them. They will swear by Allah: "Had we been able to, we would have gone out with you." They are destroying their own selves. Allah knows that they are lying.] (At-Tawbah 9:42)

Therefore, the only criterion for being a believer is to feel a sincere desire to seek Allah's approval and not to refrain from making any sacrifices on the way of Allah when circumstances call for such sacrifices. Believers are those who are (purified with a pure thought, remembrance of the Home (of the Hereafter)) (Saad 38:46). A believer does not seek any benefit other than Allah's approbation. He hopes to please Allah, have His mercy, and attain Paradise because (anyone, male or female, who does right actions and is a believer, will enter Paradise . They will not be wronged by so much as the tiniest speck) (An-Nisaa' 4:124).
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by mukina2: 11:26pm On Dec 09, 2008
Faith is belief in Allah and his messengers
The angels and the final days and the holy scriptures
and to believe in destiny
that good and bad both come from him
and the resurrection
their is no God but Allah kiss kiss kiss
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:32pm On Dec 21, 2008
Hajj: Enhancing God Consciousness

[b](These two adversaries have become engrossed in contention about their Lord. For the unbelievers garments of fire shall be cut out; and scalding water will be poured over their heads, melting all that is in their bellies and their skin. In addition, there will be whips of iron for them. Whenever, in their anguish, they try to get out, they are returned there, and will be told: 'Taste the torment of fire.'

God will certainly admit those who believe and do righteous deeds into gardens through which running waters flow, wherein they will be adorned with bracelets of gold and pearls, and where silk will be their garment. For they were guided to the best of words; and so they were guided to the way that leads to the One to whom all praise is due.

The unbelievers who debar others from the path of God and the Sacred Mosque which We have set up for all people alike, both those who dwell there and those who come from abroad, Anyone who seeks to profane it by evildoing, We shall cause to taste grievous suffering. ) (Al-Hajj 22:19-25)[/b]

What we have in this passage is a scene of the Day of Judgment when the honor bestowed by God on His faithful servants and the humiliation suffered by the others are shown as though they are happening here and now. It is a violent scene with loud noises and bustling movement. The descriptive style imparts a sense of long duration, with ever renewing action raised before our imagination. We see garments being cut out and tailored, and fiercely boiling water being poured over the heads. Its temperature is so high that the moment it touches the heads of those at the receiving end, whatever is in their bellies is melted, as does their skin. We also see whips made of red-hot iron to flog those condemned to such punishment. The suffering is intensified and becomes unbearable. The unbelievers make a sudden move to try to escape all this torment, and try to get out of this endless distress, but they are fiercely returned into it. They are strongly rebuked and told: "Taste the torment of fire."

Our imagination continues to repeat this scene from its first movement right up to the point where the unbelievers are repelled when they try to escape. It then starts all over again. The only way to turn away from this self-repeating scene is to look at the other destiny portrayed in the surah. The starting point is that there are two adversaries contending about their Lord. We have just seen the sad end of those who refuse to believe in Him. The believers, on the other hand, are in gardens through which running waters flow. Their clothes are unlike those of the first group: they are made of silk. On top of these they have adornments and jewellery made of gold and pearls. God also guides them to the best of words and to the way leading to the One worthy of all praise. Thus, they encounter no difficulty either in word or in direction. Such guidance is a great blessing, because it gives them a sense of ease, comfort, and reassurance.

Such is the end of contention about God: people rank in two groups with two greatly different ends. Anyone who continues to argue about God, without knowledge, guidance, or a light-giving divine book — unsatisfied with the clear evidence of the truth God has given us — should reflect before he faces the inevitable end.

The surah moves on to speak about the unbelievers who turn people away from God's path and from the Sacred Mosque in Makkah. The reference here is to those who opposed the message of Islam when it started in Makkah, trying hard to turn people away from it. They were also confronting the Prophet and his companions who believed in Islam to debar their entry into the Sacred Mosque at the Ka`bah. It then speaks about the basis on which this mosque was founded when God assigned its building to Abraham (peace and blessings be upon him) and ordered him to call on all people to visit it for pilgrimage. Abraham's instructions were very clear: that this mosque must be established on the clear basis of God's oneness, so as to prevent any form of associating partners with God from being practiced in or near it. It was to be kept open to all people, whether they reside close to it or come from distant places. None is to be prevented entry, and none is to claim its ownership. The surah then outlines some of the rituals of pilgrimage and how they enhance people's consciousness and constant remembrance of God. It also stresses the need to protect the Sacred Mosque against any aggression by those who try to turn people away from it or change the basis on which it is founded. Those who fulfill their duties of protecting the purity of the faith are promised victory.

(The unbelievers who debar others from the path of God and the Sacred Mosque which We have set up for all people alike, both those who dwell there and those who come from abroad, Anyone who seeks to profane it by evildoing, We shall cause to taste grievous suffering.)

Such was the Quraysh's practice: they turned people away from the faith that He has established for mankind, providing a direct way to Him. They fought hard to prevent people from following the code He has chosen for human life. They also stopped Muslims from offering the pilgrimage and the `Umrah, as was the case in the sixth year of the Islamic calendar when the events that started with such prevention led to the signing of a peace agreement at Al-Hudaybiyah. God made this mosque an area of peace and safety for all people, where they may have no fear of anyone.

This applies to everyone living in Makkah, and to all those who come over from distant areas to visit the Mosque. Thus, the Ka`bah and the Mosque around it form a house of God where all people are equal. None can claim any right of ownership or any distinction whatsoever: (The Sacred Mosque which We have set up for all people alike, both those who dwell there and those who come from abroad).

This law that God has established for His Sacred House preceded all attempts by human beings to establish a sanctuary where no arms are allowed, opponents are safe, bloodshed is ended and everyone enjoys peace and security. No one may claim any favor for observing the
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:09pm On Dec 27, 2008
Teaching from the wisdom of Lukman

Assallam Alykum waramatulahi wabarakatu?

Wisdom
provides us with the capacity to solve real life problems. So, acquiring wisdom becomes a must if we want to live meaningful lives. As we live through life and its experiences, it is vital that we reflect on such experiences to make our subsequent steps in life easier. As Immanuel Kant, a famous philosopher said that

“Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life.”
So, if wisdom enables a person to make more sound decisions, take a shortcut path to success, recalibrate values for the better, and simply live a better life, then why not spend time reflecting on our own experiences as well as learning from others? As Will Durant, a renowned philosopher and Pulitzer Prize winner stated, “A wise man can learn from another man’s experience; a fool cannot learn even from his own.”

The words of the Quran and teachings of our prophet Muhammad guide us to a wealth of wisdom and knowledge. In fact, Allah calls Quran the “Book of wisdom” in many places in the Quran. He says: “A.L.R. These are the ayats of the Book of wisdom.” (Yunus, Chapter #10, Verse #1). The Almighty also says: “We have sent it down as an Arabic Quran, in order that ye may learn wisdom.” (Yusuf, Chapter #12, Verse #2)

Quran emphasizes the importance of wisdom throughout its text. Allah sent prophets and messengers to propagate that wisdom. He says in one of such verses: “A similar (favor have ye already received) is that We have sent among you a Messenger of your own, rehearsing to you Our Signs, and sanctifying you, and instructing you in Scripture and wisdom, and in new knowledge.” (Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #151)”

In its text, Quran also teaches wisdom through the words of a person named Luqman. Although not a prophet, Allah had granted him enormous wisdom. He was wise enough to have an entire chapter named after him. He was a pious person and according to the Quran was granted wisdom by Allah. As Allah says in the Quran: And indeed We bestowed upon Luqman AlHikmah (wisdom and religious understanding, etc.) saying: “Give thanks to Allah,” and whoever gives thanks, he gives thanks for (the good of) his ownself. And whoever is unthankful, then verily, Allah is All Rich (Free of all wants), Worthy of all praise. (Luqman: 12)

In his book “Stories of the Prophet”, Ibn Katheer writes that Luqman’s real name was known as “Luqman Ibn ‘Anqa’ Ibn Sadun” or according to some “Luqman Ibn Tharan” who was from among the people of Aylah ( Jerusalem ) (Stated by As-Suhaili from Ibn Jarir and Al-Qutaibi). Some accounts describe him as an Ethiopian slave who worked as a carpenter. Because of his wisdom people went to him to settle their affairs and therefore he was also known to be a judge.

Although Quran makes no reference regarding him being as a prophet, it is narrated by some as described by Ibn Katheer in his book “Stories of the Prophet” that he was offered to become one. Ibn Katheer mentions, Sa’id said: I heard Qatadah as saying: It was said to Luqman: “How did you prefer wisdom to Prophethood when you were enabled to choose between them?” He said: “If Allah were to assign me with Prophethood, I would accept it and try hard to win His Pleasure, but He enabled me to choose. I feared of being too weak for Prophethood, so I chose wisdom.”

Luqman’s Wisdom

The following are the words of wisdom of Luqman as described in the Quran. Later, another section quotes his wisdom as narrated by other reliable narrators as mentioned by Ibn Katheer in his book “Stories of the Prophets”.

Luqman’s wisdom in the Quran

Luqman’s wisdom in the Quran is described in the context of him explaining it to his son. It is described in the Quran in the following verses.

Regarding not to associate anyone in the worship and oneness of Allah –
And (remember) when Luqman said to his son when he was advising him: “O my son! Join not in worship others with Allah. Verily! Joining others in worship with Allah is a great Zoolm (wrong) indeed[/b]. (Quran: Luqman: 13)

[b]Being dutiful to ones parents –

And We have enjoined on man (to be dutiful and good) to his parents. His mother bore him in weakness and hardship upon weakness and hardship, and his weaning is in two years give thanks to Me and to your parents, unto Me is the final destination. [/b](Quran: Luqman: 14)

[b]Being dutiful to ones parents except where they tell you to deviate from the Right path –
But if they (both) strive with you to make you join in worship with Me others that of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not, but behave with them in the world kindly, and follow the path of him who turns to Me in repentance and in obedience. Then to Me will be your return, and I shall tell you what you used to do. (Quran: Luqman: 15)

Every person is accountable for everything that he does – \
“O my son! If it be (anything) equal to the weight of a grain of mustard seed, and though it be in a rock, or in the heavens or in the earth, Allah will bring it forth. Verily, Allah is Subtle (in bringing out that grain), WellAware (of its place). (Quran: Luqman: 16)

Enjoining Prayers
“O my son! perform AsSalat (prayers), enjoin (people) for Al-Maroof (Islamic Monotheism and all that is good), and forbid (people) from AlMunkar (i.e. disbelief in the Oneness of Allah, polytheism of all kinds and all that is evil and bad), and bear with patience whatever befalls you. Verily! These are some of the important commandments ordered by Allah with no exemption. [/b][b](Quran: Luqman: 17)

Do not be arrogant and proud
“And turn not your face away from men with pride, nor walk in insolence through the earth. Verily, Allah likes not each arrogant boaster. (Quran: Luqman: 18)

Be humble and lower your voice
“And be moderate (or show no insolence) in your walking, and lower your voice. Verily, the harshest of all voices is the voice (braying) of the donkey.” (Quran: Luqman: 19)

Other words of wisdom from Luqman (not narrated in the Quran) [ibn Katheer]
[color=#000099][/color]

Luqman on being granted respect and honor

Narrated Ibn Wahb: I was told by ‘Abdullah Ibn ‘Ayyash Al-Fityani after’ Umar, the freed slave of ‘Afrah as saying: “A man came to Luqman, the wise and asked: Are you Luqman? Are you the slave of so and so? He said: “Yes!” The man said: You are the black shepherd! Luqman said: As for my black color, it is obviously apparent, so what makes you so astonished? The man said: You became frequently visited by the people who pleasingly accept your judgments! Luqman said: 0 cousin! If you do what I am telling you, you will be like this. The man said: What is it? Luqman said: Lowering my gaze, watching my tongue, eating what is lawful, keeping my chastity, undertaking my promises, fulfilling my commitments, being hospitable to guests, respecting my neighbors, and discarding what does not concern me. All these made me the one you are looking at.”

Lowering of the gaze usually refers to not looking at men / women (other than your spouse) with a bad desire and to look at them only for valid reasons as prescribed in the religion. Refer to Islam-qa.com for detailed explanation on this topic.

Luqman on the value of Wisdom
Narrated Damurah after As-Sariy Ibn Yahia as saying: Luqman said to his son: “O my son! Verily, wisdom has brought the indigent to the courts of kings. ”

Luqman on propagating wisdom to others and to take it seriously when given by others I was told by my father after ‘Amr Ibn ‘Uthman after Damurah Ibn Hafs Ibn ‘Umar as saying: “Luqman placed a bag of mustards beside him and started to advise his son, giving him with every piece of advice a mustard till it all ran out. He said: O my son! I gave you advice that if a mountain was given, it would split………”

Luqman on the need to have a pleasing tongue and sound heart
Yazid Ibn Hamn and Waki’ told us after Abul AShhab after Khalid Ar-Rab’i as saying: “Luqman was an Ethiopian slave who worked as a carpenter. One day, his master ordered him to slaughter a goat and bring him the most pleasant and delicious two parts thereof. Luqman did so and brought him the tongue and heart. The master asked: Did not you find anything more pleasant than these? Luqman said: No! After a while, the master ordered him to slaughter a goat and to throw the most malignant two parts thereof. Luqman slaughtered the goat and threw the tongue and heart. The master exclaimed and said: I ordered you to bring me the most delicious parts thereof and you brought me the tongue and heart, and I ordered you to throwaway the most malignant parts thereof and you threw the tongue and heart, how can this be? Luqman said: Nothing can be more pleasing than these if they were good, and nothing can be more malicious than these if they were malignant.”

Luqman on “Speech is silver and slince is golden”
Luqman said to his son: “O my son! I have never regretted because of keeping silent. If words are silver, silence is golden.”

Luqman on the need to have kindness, mercy and love for others
Abu Mu’awiyah told us after Hisham Ibn ‘Urwah after his father as saying: “Wisdom dictates: O my son: Let your speech be good and your face be smiling, you will be more loved by the people than those who give them provisions.” And, he said: “It is stated in the wisdom -or the Torah - : “Kindness is the head of wisdom.” And, he said: “It is stated in the Torah: “As you show mercy (to others), mercy will be shown to you.”

Luqman on giving
And, he said: “It is stated in the wisdom: “You will gain what you give (or, harvest what you grow).”

Luqman on friendships
And, he said: “It is stated in the wisdom: “Love your friend and the friend of your father.”

Luqman on patience, knowledge, and goodness
`Abdur Razzaq told us after Mu’amir after Ayyub after Abu Qulabah as saying: Luqman was once asked: Who is the best one in terms of patience? He said: It is the one who practices no harm after observing patience. Those who asked him said: Who is the best one in terms of knowledge? He said: It is he who adds to his own knowledge through the knowledge of others. They asked: Who is the best from among the whole people? He said: It is the wealthy. They said: Is it the one who has properties and riches? He said: No! But, it is the one if whose good was sought, he would not hold it back or prevent it. And, it is the one who does not need anything from others.

Luqman on the need to keep good company and to consult scholars
‘Abdullah Ibn Ahmed said: I was told by Al-­Hakam Ibn Abu Zuhair Ibn Musa after Al-Faraj Ibn Fudalah after Abu Sa’id as saying: Luqman said to his son: “O my son! Let only the pious men eat your food, and consult the scholars over your affairs.”

Finally, wisdom in matters is one of the blessings that Allah grants to His creation. The Almighty says in the Quran: “He grants Hikmah to whom He pleases, and he, to whom Hikmah is granted, is indeed granted abundant good. But none remember (will receive admonition) except men of understanding.” (Quran: Al-Baqara: 269)

Note: Hikmah here refers to “Wisdom”
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:02pm On Jan 02, 2009
The Islamic Concept of Life

The chief characteristic of Islam is that it makes no distinction between the spiritual and the secular in life. Its aim is to shape both individual lives as well as society as a whole in ways that will ensure that the Kingdom of God may really be established on earth and that peace, contentment and well being may fill the world. The Islamic way of life is thus based on a unique concept of man’s place in the universe. That is why it is necessary that, before we discuss the moral, social, political and economic systems of Islam, we should have a clear idea of what that concept is.

Basic Principles

1. God, who is the Creator, the Ruler and the Lord of the universe, has created man and provided him with a temporary home in that part of His vast kingdom which is the earth. He has endowed man with the faculties of thinking and understanding, and has given him the power to distinguish right from wrong. Man has also been invested with free will and the power to use the resources of the world however he likes. That is, man has a measure of autonomy, while being at the same time God’s representative on earth.

2. Before assigning to man this vicegerency (Khilafat), God made it clear to him that He alone was the Lord, the Ruler and the Deity. As such, the entire universe and all creatures in it (including man) should submit to Him alone. Man must not think himself totally free and must realize that this earth is not his permanent abode. He has been created to live on it only for a probationary period and, in due course, he will return to his Lord, to be judged according to the way he has spent that period. The only right course for man is to acknowledge God as the only Lord, the Sustainer and the Deity, and to follow His guidance and His commands in all he does. His sole objective should be to merit the approval of Allah.

If man follows a course of righteousness and godliness (which he is free to choose and follow) he will be rewarded in this world and the next: in this world he will live a life of peace and contentment, and in the Heareafter he will qualify for the heaven of eternal bliss, al-Jannah. If he chooses to follow the course of godlessness and evil (which he is equally free to choose and follow), his life will be one of corruption and frustration in this world, and in the life to come he will face the prospect of that abode of pain and misery which is called Hell.

3. After making this position clear, God set man on earth and provided the very first human beings (Adam and Eve) with guidance as to how they were to live. Thus man’s life on this earth did not start in utter darkness. From the beginning a bright torch or light was provided so that humanity could fulfil its glorious destiny. The very first man received revealed knowledge from God Himself, and was told the correct way to live. This code of life was Islam, the attitude of complete submission to Allah, the Creator of man and the whole universe. It was this religion which Adam, the first man, passed down to posterity.

But later generations gradually drifted away from the right path. Either they lost the original teachings through negligence or they deliberately adulterated and distorted them. They associated God with innumerable human beings, material objects and imaginary gods. Shirk (polytheism) became widespread. They mixed up the teachings of God with myths and strange philosophies and thus produced a jumble of religions and cults; and they discarded the God-given principles of personal and social morality, the Shari’ah.

4. Although man departed from the path of truth, disregarded or distorted the Shari’ah or even rejected the code of Divine guidance, God did not destroy them or force them to take the right course. Forced morality was not in keeping with the autonomy He had given to man. Instead, God appointed certain good people from among the human society itself to guide men to the right path. These men believed in God, and lived a life of obedience to Him. He honoured them by His revelations, giving them the knowledge of reality. Known as Prophets, blessings and peace be on all of them, they were assigned the task of spreading God’s message among men.

5. Many thousands of these prophets were raised throughout the ages, in all lands and in all nations. All of them brought the same message; all of them advocated the same way of life, (din), that is, the way which was revealed to man on the first day of his existence. All of them had the same mission: they called men to Islam- to submit to God alone, asked those who accepted the Divine guidance to live in accordance with it and organized them into a movement for the establishment of the Divine law, and for putting an end to all deviations from the true path. Many people, however, refused to accept their guidance and many of those who did accept it gradually drifted away from their initial commitment.

6. Lastly, God raised the Prophet Muhammad, blessings and peace be on him, in Arabic to complete the mission of the earlier prophets. The message of Muhammed, blessings and peace be on him, was for the whole of mankind. He presented a new the teachings of Islam in their pristine form and provided humanity once again with the Divine guidance which had been largely lost. He organized all those who accepted his message into one community (Ummah), charged with living in accordance with the teachings of Islam, with calling humanity to the path of righteousness and with establishing the supremacy of the word of God on earth. This guidance is enshrined in the Holy Qur’an.

Iman: Its Nature and Character

The Qur’an deals in many passages with man’s relationship to Allah and the concept of life which naturally follows from that relationship. Its message is epitomized in the following verse:

Verily Allah hath bought of the Believers their lives and their properties for the price that theirs shall be the Paradise : so they fight in the way of Allah and slay and are slain. It (i.e. the promise of Paradise ) is a covenant which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Injil and the Qur’an. And who is more faithful unto his covenant than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.(al-Tawbah 9: 111)

In the above verse the nature of the relationship which comes into existence between man and God because of Imam(the belief, trust and faith in Allah) is called a ‘bargain’. This means that Iman in Allah is not a mere metaphysical concept; it is in the nature of a contract by which man barters his life and his possessions in exchange for the promise of Paradise in the Hereafter. God, as it were, purchases a Believer’s life and property and promises, in return, the reward of Paradise in the life after death. This concept of a bargain and a covenant has important implications, and needs to be clearly understood.

Everything in this world belongs to Allah. As such, man’s life and wealth, which are part of this world, also belong to Him, because He has created them and has entrusted them to every man for his use. Looked at from this angle, the question of ‘selling’ or ‘buying’ may not seem to arise at all; God does not need to buy what is already His man cannot sell what is not really his.

But there is one thing which has been conferred on man, and which now belongs fully to him, and that is free will, which gives his freedom to choose between following or not following the path of Allah. This freedom of will and choice does not automatically make man the real owner of all the power and resources over which he has command, nor does it give him the right to use them just as he likes. Yet, because of this free will, he may, if he likes, consider himself free of all obligations to the Lord and independent of any higher authority. It is here that the question of bargain arises.

This bargain thus does not mean that God is purchasing something which belongs to man. Its real nature is this: all creation belongs to God but He has bestowed certain things on man to be used by him on trust. God wants man to willingly and voluntarily acknowledge this. A person who voluntarily renounces his freedom to reject God’s supremacy and instead acknowledges His sovereignty, and, in so doing, ‘sells’ his ‘autonomy’ (which, too, is a gift from God) to God, will get in return God’s promise of eternal bliss in Paradise. A person who makes such a bargain is a Mu’min (Believer) and Iman (faith) is the Islamic name for this contract; a person who chooses not to enter into this contract, or who, after making such contract, does not keep to it, is a Kufir. The avoidance or abrogation of the contract is technically known as Kufr.

Such is the nature of the contract. Now let us briefly study its various aspects and stipulations.

1. God has set us to account for ourselves in two areas:

(a) He has left man free, but nonetheless wishes to see whether he will remain honest and loyal to Him, or whether he will rebel against his own Creator, whether he will behave nobly or start ‘playing such fantastic tricks as make the angels weep’.

(b) He wants to see whether man is prepared to have enough trust in God to offer his life and wealth in return for a promise about the next world.

2. It is a principle of Islamic law that Iman consists in adherence to a certain set of doctrines becomes a Mu’min. No one has the right to call such a man a disbeliever or drive him from the fold of Ummah, unless there is clear proof that faith has been abandoned. This is the legal position. But in the eyes of the Lord, Iman is only valid when it entails complete surrender of one’s will and freedom of choice to the will of Allah. It is a state of thought and action, coming from the hear, wherein man submits himself fully to Allah, renouncing all claim to his own supremacy.

A man may recite the Kalimah, accept the contract and even offer Prayers and perform other acts of worship, but if in his heart he regards himself as the owner and the master of his physical and mental powers and of his moral and material resources, then, however much the people may look upon him as a Mu’min, in the eyes of God he will be a disbeliever. He will not really have entered into the bargain which the Qur’an says is the essence of Iman. If a man does not use his powers and resources in the way God has forbidden, it is clear that either he has not pledged his life and property to Allah, or has nullified that pledge by his conduct.

3. This aspect of Iman makes the Islamic way of life the very opposite of the non-Muslim, who has real faith in Allah, makes his entire life one of obedience and surrender to His will. He never behaves arrogantly or selfishly or as if he were master of his own destiny, save in moments of forgetfulness. And so soon as he becomes conscious of such a lapse, he will submit himself to his Lord and ask forgiveness for his error.

Similarly, a group of people or a society which consists of true Muslims can never break away from the Law of their Lord. Its political order, its social organizations, its culture, its economic policy, its legal system and its international strategy must all be in tune with the code of guidance revealed by Allah. Any unwitting contraventions must be corrected as soon as they are realised.

It is disbelievers who feel free from God’s guidance and behave as if they were their own master. Anyone who behaves like this, even though he may bear a name similar to that of a Muslim, is treading the path of the disbelievers.

4.The will of God, which it is obligatory for man to follow, is the one which God Himself has revealed for man’s guidance. It cannot be determined by man himself. God has Himself explained it clearly and there is no ambiguity about it. Therefore, if a society sticks honestly to its contract with Allah, it must shape its life in accordance with the Book of God and the Sunnah of the Prophet, blessing and peace be on him.

It is clear from the foregoing discussion why the payment of the price has been postponed till the life after death. Paradise is not the reward for the mere profession of the bargain, it is the reward for the faithful execution of it. Unless the behavior of the ‘vendor’ complies with the terms of the contract he will not be entitled to the reward. The final act of the ‘sale’ can only be concluded after the last moment of the vendor’s earthly life.

There is another significant point which merges from the study of the verse quoted in the Qur’an. In the verses preceding it, reference is made to the people who professed Iman and promised a life of obedience, but who, when the hour of trial came, proved unequal to the task. Some neglected the call of the hour and betrayed the cause. Others refused to sacrifice their lives and riches in the cause of Allah. The Qur’an, after criticizing their insincerity, makes it clear that Iman is a contract, a form of pledge between man and God. It does not consist in a mere profession of belief in Allah. It is an acknowledgement of the fact that Allah alone is our Lord, Sovereign and Ruler and that everything that man has, including his own life, belongs to Him and must be used in accordance with His directives. If a Muslim adopt a different course, he is insincere in his profession of faith. Only those who have really sold their lives and all that they possess to God and who follow his dictates in all spheres of activity can be called true Believers.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 9:07pm On Jan 06, 2009
The Virtues of Allah’s sacred month of Muharram

Praise be to Allaah, the Lord of the Worlds, and peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, the Seal of the Prophets and Chief of the Messengers, and upon all his family and companions. Allah’s sacred month of Muharram is a blessed and important month. It is the first month of the Hijra calendar and is one of the four sacred months concerning which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

«Verily, the number of months with Allaah is twelve months (in a year), so it was ordained by Allaah on the Day when He created the heavens and the earth; of them, four are sacred. That is the right religion, so wrong not yourselves therein…» [al-Tawbah 9:36]

Abu Bakrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

‹The year is twelve months of which four are sacred, the three consecutive months of Dhu’l-Qa’dah, Dhu’l-Hijjah and Muharram, and Rajab Mudar which comes between Jumaada and Sha’baan.› (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 2958).

Muharram is so called because it is a sacred (muharram) month and to confirm its sanctity.

Allaah’s words (interpretation of the meaning): “so wrong not yourselves therein…” mean do not wrong yourselves in these sacred months, because sin in these months is worse than in other months.

It was reported that Ibn ‘Abbaas said that this phrase (so wrong not yourselves therein…) referred to all the months, then these four were singled out and made sacred, so that sin in these months is more serious and good deeds bring a greater reward.

Qutaadah said concerning this phrase (so wrong not yourselves therein…) that wrongdoing during the sacred months is more serious and more sinful that wrongdoing at any other time. Wrongdoing at any time is a serious matter, but Allaah gives more weight to whichever of His commands He will. Allaah has chosen certain ones of His creation. He has chosen from among the angels Messengers and from among mankind Messengers. He chose from among speech the remembrance of Him (dhikr). He chose from among the earth the mosques, from among the months Ramadaan and the sacred months, from among the days Friday and from among the nights Laylat al-Qadr, so venerate that which Allaah has told us to venerate. People of understanding and wisdom venerate the things that Allaah has told us to venerate. (Summarized from the Tafseer of Ibn Katheer, may Allaah have mercy on him.

Fasting the 9th & 10th of Muharram: Virtues & Rules

First of all, it is very important to make it clear that fasting on the day of `Ashura’ – the 10th of Muharram- is of great merits in Islam. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Fasting the day of `Ashura' (is of great merits), I hope that Allah will accept it as an expiation for (the sins committed in) the previous year” (Muslim).

Also, fasting the 9th of Muharram is highly recommended by the Sunnah. Imam At-Tirmidhi reported that Ibn `Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them both) used to say: We should fast on two days: the 9th and 10th of Muharram to distinguish ourselves from the Jewish community. (At-Tirmidhi)

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him used to fast on the day of `Ashura'. When he came to Madinah, he found out that the Jews of Madinah were also fasting on this day remembering Prophet Musa (peace and blessings be upon him). The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) admired this tradition and said to the Jews, "I am closer to Musa than you are." He fasted and he also told his Companions to fast on this day.

Later, before the end of his life, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) told Muslims to add the 9th day also. Thus, it is recommended to fast on both the 9th and 10th of Muharram.

Moreover, in his well-known book, Fiqh As-Sunnah, the late Sheikh Sayyed Sabiq states:

Abu Hurayrah reported: "I asked the Prophet: 'Which Prayer is the best after the obligatory Prayers?' He said: 'Prayer during the mid of the night.' I asked: 'Which fasting is the best after that of Ramadan?' He said, 'The month of Allah that you call Muharram’" (Ahmad, Muslim, and Abu Dawud).

Mu`awiyyah ibn Abi Sufyan reported that he heard the Messenger of Allah say: "Concerning the day of `Ashura’, it is not obligatory upon you to fast on it as I do. Whoever wishes may fast and whoever does not wish to is not obliged to do so" (Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

The fast of the day of 'Aashooraa. (tenth day of Muharram) is recommended, as its excellence has been mentioned in (a number of) ahaadeeth. From them, is the saying of the Prophet sallaho allahe wassalam (Certainly the fast of the day of 'Aashooraa. Is regarded by Allaah as an expiation for the sins of the previous year) Also, when the Prophet sallalaho allahay wassalam arrived in Madeenah he saw the Jews fasting (on this day), so when he asked them (about this), they said: "Certainly, this is the day when Allaah made Musa victorious and destroyed Fir'aun". So the Prophet said: (We have more of a right to Musa than you). So he fasted (that day) and ordered it to be fasted. (Sahih Muslim vol. 1 pg.359)

As for the ninth, then it has not been confirmed that the Prophet sallallaho allahay wassalam fasted it, however, it has been narrated by Ibn 'Abbass and others that the explanation (tafseer) of the day of 'Aashooraa. is that it is the ninth. And it has been narrated that he said: (If I am (still) here nextyear, then certainly I will fast the ninth (day of Muharram) and in (another) narration: (along with the tenth (day of Muharram). And he said: (Differ from the Jews; fast the day before it (the ninth) or the day after it (the eleventh). So, this indicates that the fast of the ninth is legislated just as the tenth and it is recommended for the Muslims to increase in fasting during this monthas in the Saheeh hadeeth. The Prophet said: (The best of fasts after (the month of) Ramadan is the month of Allah which they refer to as Muharram).
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:34pm On Jan 09, 2009
Workable Means of supporting the oppressed Muslims

Every Muslim is obliged to support his wronged Muslim brothers and sisters in all parts of the world; especially in Palestine where houses are demolished, wives are widowed, and children are killed cold bloodedly in daylight. Every committed Muslim has a very positive role to play.

A Muslim can help his suffering brothers – like the case of the people of Ghaza with money, medicine, clothes and so on. Allaah urged the believers to spend in good causes.

The Muslim can support his fellow Muslim brothers and sisters financially and psychologically. The least thing we can do is to earnestly implore Allah to grant them victory over their enemies.

It is well known that after storm comes sunshine. This very fact is confirmed by Allah’s saying in the Qur’an: (But lo! with hardship goeth ease. Lo! with hardship goeth ease.) (Al-Inshirah 94: 5-6)

The followings are suggested:

1. We should make du’aa’, and recite dua’a al-qunut in our prayer for our oppressed brothers/sisters in Gaza , and every other places in the world.

2. We should collect charity and send it through trustworthy channels to the wronged brothers and sisters all over the world.

3. We should support the weak and the oppressed in all ways, including the media as well as the internet.

4. We should get scholars, callers to Allah or Dua’a, Mosque Imams as well as Muslim writers to explain the oppression that is happening to the fellow Muslims and the negligence on the part of the Ummah, and to mobilize the Ummah to defend the sacred places.

5. We should check our own intentions with regard to striving in the cause of Allah, and to see whether one is applying the Prophetic Hadith in which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) states: “Whoever dies without having striven for the cause of Allah or having had the intention of doing so, has died following one of the branches of hypocrisy.” (Reported by Muslim)

6. We should pursue all the means of building up material and moral strength, in resisting all forms of aggression.

7. We should remind ourselves and others of the virtues of martyrdom in the Sake of Allah and study the rulings on Jihad, and not deeply indulging in the material trappings in this world.

8. We should boycott the products of the enemies who are in a state of war with us, as well as condemning their atrocities and barbarism. We need to make this known verbally and through media, to point out their insults to Allah, His Messenger and the believers.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by Jarus(m): 7:43pm On Jan 09, 2009
Jazakumullahu khaeran babs
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:49pm On Jan 23, 2009
The Muslim Ummah: Looking on the Bright Side

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list][/b]

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: [b]"Nations are about to scheme against you in the same way as greedy eaters vie with one another on the dining-table.'
One of the companions (may Allah be pleased with them all) asked: 'O Messenger of Allah! Will that relate to being few in numbers?' The Prophet said: 'No, but your huge number will be of little effectiveness, and (Allah) will cast Al-Wahan in your hearts.' They said: O Messenger of Allah, what does Al-Wahan mean? He said, 'Your hearts are strongly attached to life luxuries and you feel strong aversion to death." (Reported by Ahmad and Abu-Dawud)

The previous hadith is considered one of the miracles with which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was aided. The hadith refers to what will happen by the end of this world. In other words, it shows the extent of the moral decay that will affect the Muslim Ummah, and will encourage its enemies to haunt it, especially after neglecting Allah’s Commands and ignoring His Prophet’s teachings

The miracles that Allah Almighty has granted His Prophets (peace and blessings be upon them all) to help in delivering their messages are not only rules and regulations from which the Muslim Ummah can seek guidance regarding what is lawful and what is prohibited. Rather, they serve as a means of encouraging the Muslim to bear the sufferings and tribulations of life with patience and perseverance, keeping in mind that Allah will never forsake him.

The words of the hadith show that the state of weakness facing the Muslim Ummah nowadays is transitory.

Unfortunately, the Muslim Ummah’s hands are tied, finding themselves handicapped to put an end to the brutal massacres and mass killing of Muslims in many places of the world, in addition to gross violation of Muslim human rights.

The main reason behind all this can easily be ascribed to forsaking the Islamic umbrella, which encompasses economy, mass media and education, as well as politics.

Every member of Muslim Ummah has a share in this responsibility; it is a collective one. We are together in the same boat and we have to start rowing before it is too late.

Stressing the fact that, despite the sorry state of affairs of Muslim Ummah now, there is a glimmer of hope lying in the future, we would like to cite for you the following fatwa issued by the eminent Muslim scholar Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi:

Some scholars claim that the Doom is approaching and that the darkness looms large and there are troubles on the horizon. Actually, such premonitions bring benefits to none and make things get worse. This leads to the belief that there is no hope for a change or reform and that the coming days carry nothing but bad events. This is, in fact, a very wrong way of thinking and it is plainly a pessimistic approach to life. Muslims are to stick their mind to many glad tidings of the coming victory of Islam, and they should have faith in Allah that the coming days will be more bright and that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thus, it is necessary for Muslims to derive from the following glad tidings glimpse of light to fill their hearts with and let despair vanish and fade away. Here are some of the glad tidings mentioned in the Qur’an:

1. Almighty Allah says: (He it is who hath sent His messenger with the guidance and the Religion of Truth, that He may cause it to prevail over all religion, however much the idolaters may be averse. ) (At-Tawbah 9: 33)

2. Almighty Allah also says: (Fain would they put out the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect His light however much the disbelievers are averse. ) (As-Saff 61: cool

In these verses, Almighty Allah makes it clear that at the end sweeping victory and triumph will be for Islam and Allah’s light will cover all corners of the globe.

The Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is also a record of many hadiths that give glad tidings of the coming victory of Islam. Here, we would like to cite some of these hadiths:

1. In his Sahih, Imam Muslim recorded that Thawban quoted the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying: “Almighty Allah has gathered the earth for me so that I could see all its corners. My nation will rule over all that which Almighty Allah has gathered for me.”

2. Ibn Hibban quoted the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying: “This matter (i.e., Islam) will spread to cover all area where there is night and day. Allah will never leave a house in a rural area or in urban community without its people being Muslims. Honor is for those who embrace it (i.e., Islam) while disbelievers are doomed to disgrace and humiliation.”

This hadith, along with many others, give us glad tidings that the patch of the Muslim state will expand to cover the whole earth and that the strength of this state will grow and become obvious to all. This also denotes good news for the long-cherished hope of revival of Muslims unity and rebirth of Islamic Caliphate.

Also, there are many other glad tidings in the reality of being a Muslim, for any wise man knows that no falsehood is to remain forever. Life has its ups and downs and days have their own vicissitudes. After hardship comes ease and every cloud has a silver lining. The bitter reality of the Muslim nation will come to an end, and tomorrow will be definitely better than today.

The emergence of the Islamic awakening has breathed in the Muslim nation a sense of confidence and hope in the future. Viewing this awakening as a threat, the enemies of Islam have tried their utmost to suppress it. However, it is Allah’s will that the Muslim awakening will endure all tribulations without being affected. Such movement is worthy of leading the Muslim nation to utter victory once there are leaders who are rightly guided by Almighty Allah and filled with wisdom.

We the MUSLIM plea to Allah Almighty to guide the Muslim Ummah back to the right track. This is the only way we can find a place in the modern world where non-Islamic systems impose distorted ideologies in the name of civilization.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 7:58pm On Feb 11, 2009
Ten Useless Matters
Let’s take note of the following ten (10) useless matters in order to save our soul:

1. Knowledge that is not acted on

2. The deed that has neither sincerity nor is based on following the righteous examples of others

3. Money that is hoarded, as the owner neither enjoys it during this life nor obtains any reward for it in the Hereafter

4. The heart that is empty of love and longing for Allah, and of seeking closeness to Him

5. A body that does not obey and serve Allah

6. Loving Allah without following His orders or seeking His pleasure

7. Time that is not spent in expiating sins or seizing opportunities to do good

8. A mind that thinks about useless matters

9. Serving those who do not bring you close to Allah, nor benefit you in your life

10. Hoping and fearing whoever is under the authority of Allah and in His hand; while he cannot bring any benefit or harm to himself, nor death, nor life; nor can he resurrect himself.

However the greater of these matters are wasting the heart and wasting time. Wasting the heart is done by preferring this worldly life over the Hereafter, and wasting time is done by having incessant hope. Destruction occurs by following one’s desires and having incessant hope, while all goodness is found in following the right path and preparing oneself to meet Allah.

How strange it is that when a servant of Allah has a [worldly] problem, he seeks help of Allah, but he never asks Allah to cure his heart before it dies of ignorance, neglect, fulfilling one’s desires and being involved in innovations. Indeed, when the heart dies, he will never feel the significance or impact of his sins.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by okunoba(m): 9:11pm On Feb 13, 2009
If only we could see the light and understand that all the god talk is man made. Mans religion to satisfy his need for power and control.
We are all a product of our upbringing. We are Muslims and Christan's in most cases because that is what we have been fed from childhood. It would be nice if kids were allowed to learn about all the major world religions and our traditional religions, then decide at 16 which they think is the right one for them. Sadly enough kids are never given this choice. They are brain washed from a very early age to believe in what their parents think is the right religion. I just read about sleeping with what the right hand posses, meaning slaves, yet no one seems to thing it`s wrong to condone slavery.Surat chapt 23. Where is the ability to reason in a fair and just manner.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by olabowale(m): 10:20pm On Feb 13, 2009
Dear Okunoba; let assume that you are victor party over the vanquished Naomi Campbell party. I hope if she was given to you as a "slave", you will not be foolish enough to let her experience womanhood. If you are that foolish, you will see that many of your friends, may ask you let them have her, and give you in her palce, a man.

If Naomi Campbell, Tyra Banks, Kenya Moorr, Pam Grier and the like are given to me, as slaves, they will not suffer as women in my home.

By the way, 16 is not the age or maturity or assigned year for puberty.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by okunoba(m): 11:23pm On Feb 13, 2009
@olabowale
I am not sure of the point u are trying to make, can u be clearer. Writing against second slavery{wass}. Against thought control{ATC)
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by olabowale(m): 11:36pm On Feb 13, 2009
You criticised the Qur'aan. You spoke on slavery, Chapter 23. Well. Think man. You who couldn't keep yourself away from a girlfriend, have the gut to talk about a master who may sleep with a beautiful slave, who may be at the height of her sexuality.

I am hoping that you are just joking, deceitfully. Otherwise, I summit that you have no clue about the need of human. Just because a woman is a slave does not mean that she is not a human being.

You must have heard about the white women sleeping with black slaves.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by olabowale(m): 11:36pm On Feb 13, 2009
Things are human are alsways natural. Not the fakery that you are suggesting, Okunoba.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by okunoba(m): 12:51am On Feb 14, 2009
@I cant follow the point u are trying to make. What is ur point?
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by olabowale(m): 2:48am On Feb 14, 2009
@Okunoba: « #847 on: Yesterday at 09:11:11 PM »

If only we could see the light and understand that all the god talk is man made. Mans religion to satisfy his need for power and control.
We are all a product of our upbringing. We are Muslims and Christan's in most cases because that is what we have been fed from childhood. It would be nice if kids were allowed to learn about all the major world religions and our traditional religions, then decide at 16 which they think is the right one for them. Sadly enough kids are never given this choice. They are brain washed from a very early age to believe in what their parents think is the right religion. I just read about sleeping with what the right hand posses, meaning slaves, yet no one seems to thing it`s wrong to condone slavery.Surat chapt 23. Where is the ability to reason in a fair and just manner.

Since you managed to play as if you did not remember, the enboldened is what am refering to.

You live in England. Naomi Campbell is a british women, known even here in the US. Alot of black men wouldn't mind having her as a wife. As a nigerian, from your name, just imagine if she was alotted to you as a spoil of war. Are now getting my point? Think hard man. A slave woman is still a woman, duuh!

Wake up, unless you are a "nice boy."
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by olabowale(m): 2:53am On Feb 14, 2009
I even ignore the other silly points that you have made. I guess you have no religion. For us who have religion(s), your statement amounted to criticism! Yet I really think that your choice about no religion is respected. Respect mine, too. And many people are matured or reach puberty at ages younger than 16. The Jews for example consider their people matured at 13. Thats why the bermitva.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by okunoba(m): 10:49pm On Feb 14, 2009
@Olabowale
We all know today slavery is wrong, for any religion to think it`s alright to posses slaves is wrong and immoral. I don`t get the puberty talk. We are not allowed to choose a major until we get to university which for most is at 18, from nursery to the end of high school we learn about different subjects which allows us to know what we like or don`t like. Can u imagine if you were only thought science in high school. I leave the answer to ur imagination. Children need to be exposed to different religions so they can decide the best for them, when they are more matured instead of being brainwashed from a early age with one religion. What do u think?
peace
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by olabowale(m): 2:44am On Feb 15, 2009
@Okunoba: « #855 on: Yesterday at 10:49:47 PM »

@Olabowale
We all know today slavery is wrong, for any religion to think it`s alright to posses slaves is wrong and immoral.

Is there a place in the Bible where the word "slave" is written, used in a sentence? Then relate to it the same as you relate to it in the Qur'aan. You may deny that the verse is not valid in the Bible. Your problem is that you are so shortsighted that you can't imagine that the same condition that allowed it before can actually come in play sometimes in the future. Same in Qur'aan. Afterall, the muslims are not capturing anybody enmasse in slavery.

The US constitution's 13th amendment abolished slavery, but permits slavery as in the punishment for conviction of crime. The prisoners don't get paid and they dont get to vote and they definitely forfeit their "rights!"

I don`t get the puberty talk.

It is to debunk your age 16 as the bench mark for adulthood. Afterall, the Jews set age 13 as the age of maturity.

We are not allowed to choose a major until we get to university which for most is at 18,

Not all. In America, some start college/university even without finishing high school. Many have graduated university at as young as 12, and others, through 19, before the usiual 21 or 22.

from nursery to the end of high school we learn about different subjects which allows us to know what we like or don`t like. Can u imagine if you were only thought science in high school.

I almost knew from Elementary School that i love Sciences and would not want to study history and other humanities. So your statement is not actually applicable.

I leave the answer to ur imagination. Children need to be exposed to different religions so they can decide the best for them, when they are more matured instead of being brainwashed from a early age with one religion. What do u think?

I think you rae wrong. A person who has no fundamental guidance from youth may oftehn grow up without moral compass. It is better for a person to be an orphan than to have passed through youth without knowing that God exists and has a specific order/command for us. This is the answer to the question; why are we here on earth?
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by okunoba(m): 8:42am On Feb 15, 2009
@Olabowale

I think you rae wrong. A person who has no fundamental guidance from youth may oftehn grow up without moral compass. It is better for a person to be an orphan than to have passed through youth without knowing that God exists and has a specific order/command for us.

I said kids should be thought other religions and I will add  the theory of evolution to it, so they can make up their own mind when older.

All the talk of knowing god exist and has a specific order/ command is what you have been told with no prove to back it up and all u are doing is just reciting the same words. Can u give me a monotheist religious country in the world that is humane? Most do the most inhumane things in the name of god, using morality laws to oppress and abuse their people especially the women.
One thing u said that i do believe in is the doctrine of "live and let live"  and that includes "morality'

This is the answer to the question; why are we here on earth?

If only someone out there had the answer to that question, the reality is nobody knows and that is the void religion fills.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by okunoba(m): 8:42am On Feb 15, 2009
@Olabowale
You obviously think slavery is right, since the Koran doesn`t condemn it. How did u become a Muslim? Did u choose it or ur parents chose it for u because that`s what they are.

It is to debunk your age 16 as the bench mark for adulthood. Afterall, the Jews set age 13 as the age of maturity.

What age do people vote in Israel or are allowed to mary legally? do u think it`s at 13

Not all. In America, some start college/university even without finishing high school. Many have graduated university at as young as 12, and others, through 19, before the usiual 21 or 22.

I used most not all, start university at 18, u have cited a few exceptionally gifted kids that finish university early. What do u have against kids being thought the teachings of other religions when young so they can choose which one they like, when they are older. Please be civil in your response.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by olabowale(m): 3:02pm On Feb 15, 2009
@Okunoba: « #857 on: Today at 08:42:28 AM »

I said kids should be thought other religions and I will add the theory of evolution to it, so they can make up their own mind when older.

When you become a parent, since from your speech, you are not, raise your child to walk shamelessly naked down the street. Let him or her believe that nudity is a natural thing that can be expressed anywhere, anytime. If you find this position ackward, then know that those of us who believe in existence of "worthy of worship Allah/God" see you proposal above worse than ackward. By the way can you show us a fossil or skeleton of evolving man from his ancestor the ape (half man and half ape)? Or the fossil of tree and what it came out of, or tree and what came out of it? How did ebony tree came, and how did mahogany tree came? I could have spoken about the spruse trees or the poplar, or the red tree, but they are more north America locals, but Mahogany and ebony are at least known by africans?

Just to excite your mind abit; show us the fossil/skeleton of Monkey and Baboon or Ape or Gorilla as one is evolving from the which it evolved. At least there must have been death in some of the animals when they are part this and part that! I wanna see it, Mr. Evolution, since you don't believe in existence of God, I think.

All the talk of knowing god exist and has a specific order/ command is what you have been told with no prove to back it up and all u are doing is just reciting the same words. Can u give me a monotheist religious country in the world that is humane? Most do the most inhumane things in the name of god, using morality laws to oppress and abuse their people especially the women. One thing u said that i do believe in is the doctrine of "live and let live" and that includes "morality'

If you use what you call religious country as your yardstick to doubt existence of Allah/God, then this is just your folly. You should have looked in the Book(s) that those religious people are supposed to use, to see if they are following the guidance and laws given to them. First the Book(s) will be what you may know if these religious countries and their leadership and individual citizens are following the religion(s), at all. Also it will help you to know about this religion(s) and the books.

This is the answer to the question; why are we here on earth?

If only someone out there had the answer to that question, the reality is nobody knows and that is the void religion fills.

Sure, the answer of why are we here is already answered. Except people like you refuse to even ask yourselves; how do I come about, the way I am, instead of being like a lion, or a tree or even a metal? That will lead you to know that whoever made you what you are, instead of letting you come out like a Donkey or an Ass (animal), have set you apart and above these other things.

Then you can ask the question why are you here. Firts the One who made you come out as human is Allah/God Himself, as the Sole Creator. Then He says that He did not create you except that you may worship Him. Please read about both of these matters in the Qur'aan because there will a Judgement day, which is similar to after the examination, there is a day when the results are announced or posted or mailed out. You will know whether you have passed or need to repeat the course or the whole academic class. This is human process. But Allah/God process is different. It is the final, the ultimate. If you pass, by His Mercy, you will be rewarded with Paradise. If you fail, by His Judgement of fairness, you will receive punishment in Hell.

« #858 on: Today at 08:42:44 AM »
@Olabowale
You obviously think slavery is right, since the Koran doesn`t condemn it.

I did not obviously say that. However thats the reality of war. Today, a society like US have dominated the world to the point that many Iraqi and Afghanis believe that they are have been made into slaves of America. Have you forgotten about the many rapes and killing that took place and many more of such atrocities must have been unreported? Did you forget about Abu Ghurib, where muslim men were told to be "naked aand pile up on top of one another, in a demeaning and sexually lude manner" in front of men and women soldiers, while been "terrorized and frightened out of their minds" with Dogs? My friend Okunoba, Oppression is worse than Killing. I remember seeing muslim corpses stretched out nakedly while some woman took picture with it. They dead and living were treated like animals. Think about it. That war brings between people. I hope you are not that naive.

How did u become a Muslim? Did u choose it or ur parents chose it for u because that`s what they are.

I was born by a Christian Mother. Now you have no complaint about my being a muslim. My case is even easier, compared to the blacks and white and others from none muslim enviroments who became muslims, and their parents followed them after they see remarkable improvements in their persons.

[Quote]
What age do people vote in Israel or are allowed to mary legally? do u think it`s at 13
[/quote]

I have seen people who became parents even at younger ages. What are you talking about, man?

I used most not all, start university at 18, u have cited a few exceptionally gifted kids that finish university early. What do u have against kids being thought the teachings of other religions when young so they can choose which one they like, when they are older. Please be civil in your response.

I have nothing against how you raise your child. You shouldn't have any thing against how I raise mine. Which my boy way little, the crack epidemic was just breaking out in the US. I used to tell him that what he should try not to copy is the behavior of the crack heads, who were always strung on or their children that you see being unruly.

While you raise your child the way you want, I will use that child as the example of how not to raise mine. The absence of evil is always good, and definitely not evil! To you your way(s), and to me mine way.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:20pm On Feb 27, 2009
The Concept of Istiqamah

On the authority of Abu 'Amr, though others call him Abu 'Amrah Sufyan bin 'Abdullah, radiyallahu anhu, who said:

I said: "O Messenger of Allah, tell me something about Islam which I could not ask anyone about save you." He answered: "Say: 'I believe in Allah', and then stand firm and steadfast." [Muslim]

The literal meaning of "Istiqamah": to go straight into the right direction, acting rightly, allowing no deviation. It is derived from the ste[b]m "Qiyyam", [/b] which implies the continuity of doing something, following up with it and making sure that it is done in the right way and there is neither deviation nor swerving.

The term has been used by the Qur'an in many verses. Allah the Almighty says:

"Therefore, stand firm (on the straight path) as you are commanded and those who turn in repentance with you. And do not transgress, for He (Allah) sees well all that you do." [Surah Hud (11): ayat 112]

Ibnu Abbas said that this verse was the hardest and most difficult verse of the Qur'an on the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam.

Indeed it is a difficult task to achieve Istiqamah, hence, the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, said[b]; "Be straight on the path or be close to it." [/b]

In another verse, Allah the Almighty says:

"So unto this (religion) invite (the people). Stand steadfast as you are commanded and do not follow their desires, " [Surah al-Shura' (42): 15]

Based on these two verses, it can be inferred that Istiqamah is to stand firm and steadfast to what we have been commanded by Allah, i.e. to fulfill obligations and to avoid prohibitions. Also, we should not allow ourselves to follow or be mislead by desires (whether it is our desires or the desires of others) as it will cause deviation and lead us astray.

Lessons

According to Ibn al-Qayyim, there are five conditions to achieve Istiqamah in performing required deeds:

1. The act should be done for the sake of Allah alone (ikhlas).

2. It should be done on the basis of knowledge ('ilm).

3. Performing ibadah should be in the same manner that they have been commanded.

4. To do it in the best way possible.

5. Restricting oneself to what is lawful while performing those deeds.

According to other scholars of suluk, i.e. behavior, there are certain steps to be followed in order to achieve Istiqamah :

1. Always being aware of the final destination, i.e. the Day of Judgment (Akhirah). And to use this awareness in a positive way as a motive to do good deeds. One way to do it is through remembering that a person's journey towards Akhirah starts the minute he / she passes away and leaves this world. One of the Salafs said: "If you live until the morning do not wait for the evening and if you live until the evening do not wait for the morning."

2. Commitment (Musharatah) . One has to make a commitment that he/she will be steadfast and will do things in the right way and in the best way possible, and to adhere to conjunctions of Islam. Unfortunately many Muslims are being lenient in making such a commitment.

3. To make continuous efforts (Mujahadah) to bring that commitment to reality. Some Muslims dare to make the commitment, but dare not to make the effort to make the commitment a reality.

4.Continuous checking and reviewing of one's deeds (Muraqabah). Being honest with oneself so as not to give false excuses for failing to fulfill a commitment.

5.Self accountability (Muhasabah). This should be done twice: Firstly, before we start doing something, ensuring that it pleases Allah, that we do it for His sake only, realizing the right way it should be done. Secondly, after the action has been done, to check whether we have achieved what we aimed for, and to check for defects and shortcomings, and that we still could have done it better by not being satisfied with our action.

6.Blaming oneself for not doing it perfectly after it has been done. Self blaming here is a positive one by using it as a motive, and by aiming for improvement and having the intention of doing things better next time. This leads to making another commitment and continual commitments to improve our performance.

7. Striving for improvement (Tahsin). We have to make improvements in all that we do (daily activities, work, actions, good deeds, ibadah, etc.) as one of our objectives.

8. To be humble towards Allah, realizing that no one is perfect except Him, seeking His forgiveness, guidance and support.

It should be emphasized that these steps/conditions apply to worldly matters as well as ibadah and good religious deeds.

Factors that lead to the weakening of Istiqamah include:

1. Committing sins (ma'siah), insisting on repeating them again and again, without istighfar (seeking Allah's forgiveness) and without practicing repentance.

2. Shirk (associating anything with Allah) whether in intentions, by showing off our good deeds to others, seeking others' appraisal, avoiding being blamed by others, being afraid of someone, or to seek rewards from others than Allah. This part of shirk is also called riyya' or showing off. All these lead to deviation in Istiqamah, and when these stimuli are not there, the person's work is not perfect any more and it is not done in the best way possible.

3. Nifaq (hypocrisy). There are two forms of nifaq: in belief and in action. The Muslim who surrenders totally to the will of Allah and accept Islam based on his/her choice is free from the first form of hypocrisy. However any Muslim is subject to and should avoid the second form of nifaq which the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, warned us about: Not keeping promises and breaking them continuously without good reasons or excuses, not fulfilling commitments we make with others, being aggressive and unjust to others in quarrels, and disputes, failing to shoulder responsibilities/ burdens we are entrusted with, etc. All these bad qualities should be avoided since they lead to the weakening of our Istiqamah.

4. Bida'ah (innovations in ibadah), whether genuine bida'ah (performing ibadah which has not been ascribed by Shariah, i.e. revelation), or relative bida'ah (failing to observe the requirements of doing ibadah - the five criteria discussed in Hadith 5), will lead to decreasing the quality of good action or ibadah.

There are other factors that also contribute to the weakening of Istiqamah, such as: recklessness, reluctance, heedlessness, being overwhelmed by a deceiving enjoyment, and being mislead by self interests and desires.

Applying the above mentioned steps and requirements pinpointed by scholars will help in overcoming all these obstacles and barriers.

Conclusion

Istiqamah is an important Islamic concept. Its significance can be seen where every Muslim is required to recite Surah al-Fatihah at least seventeen times each day seeking continual guidance to the straight path from Allah.

May Allah help us and make our heart always in remembrance of HIM and inclined towards doing good and be steadfast. (Aamen)
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by okunoba(m): 12:51pm On Mar 02, 2009
robots and zombies. Muslim this, Muslim that. we are all human, if i see an injured person on the street, i try to help them regardless of if they are Muslim or not. y is Islam dividing the human race? The struggle for a better World involves embracing humanity. No Muslim, Christan or non believers just brothers in humanity. Think of Darfur.
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 11:28am On Mar 07, 2009
Assalamu Allaikum.

My name is Azharuddin and i am from India. I came across this thread accidently while searching for dua to repay debts. While reading this thread, it made me realize how weak i m in my Imaan. I learnt a lot, may Allah bless you all for your contributions. I am also going to throw away all the music and movie cds i have. I m trying to refrain from listening to music as much as i can. My knowledge is very less but i will try to contribute to this thread as much as possible.

Also my father is very ill and our family has a lot of debts, so please pray for us.

May Allah forgive our sins, protect us from doing them again,
May Allah excuse us from the punishment we may face after death,
May Allah give us all a place in paradise.
AMEEN
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 8:00pm On Mar 07, 2009
Salam dear Brother.

I am just reading through and am touched by your post.

Assalamu Allaikum.

Wa Alaikun Warahmotullah Wabarakatuh

My name is Azharuddin and i am from India. I came across this thread accidently while searching for dua to repay debts. While reading this thread, it made me realize how weak i m in my Imaan. I learnt a lot, may Allah bless you all for your contributions. I am also going to throw away all the music and movie cds i have. I m trying to refrain from listening to music as much as i can. My knowledge is very less but i will try to contribute to this thread as much as possible.

You are welcome brother and May Allah make it easier for you, forgive your sins. Its going you decided to do away with those and turn a new leaf. Allah said we should call Him as He is closer to us than our Jugular vein. He said He is a merciful God that forgives sins. You could contact or ask questions here and would be answered by our knowledgeable brothers and my mail is tundebabs787@yahoo.com. Feel free.

Also my father is very ill and our family has a lot of debts, so please pray for us.

Its Allah that provides and not by our making. Allah will give your father strong health and pay your debt for you. He would never leae you at your point of need. Just be close to him and believe tha He creates you and would provide your sustenance. Associate nothing with Him and would surely guide, protect and make you smile at the end of it all.

My brothers, sisters here and myself have included you and would continue praying for you.

May Allah forgive our sins, protect us from doing them again,

Amin

May Allah excuse us from the punishment we may face after death,

Amin

May Allah give us all a place in paradise.

AMEEN
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by okunoba(m): 5:43am On Mar 10, 2009
can u please explain these islamic teachings from the koran. I am confused.

When the sacred months have passed away, THEN SLAY THE IDOLATERS WHEREVER YOU FIND THEM, AND TAKE THEM CAPTIVES AND BESIEGE THEM AND LIE IN WAIT FOR THEM IN EVERY AMBUSH, then if they repent and keep up prayer [become believers] and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them (9:5) sura

FIGHT THEM: ALLAH WILL PUNISH THEM BY YOUR HANDS AND BRING THEM TO DISGRACE, AND ASSIST YOU AGAINST THEM. (9:14)

FIGHT THOSE WHO DO NOT BELIEVE IN ALLAH, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Messenger have prohibited, NOR FOLLOW THE RELIGION OF TRUTH, OUT OF THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE BOOK [Christians and Jews], until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and THEY ARE IN A STATE OF SUBJECTION. (9:29) sura
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by azharuddin: 12:28pm On Mar 17, 2009
Here the verse doesnt mean all idolators, but the ones who disregarded the treaty back in the time of Prophet (s.a.w). Besides instead of looking at just one verse, please try to understand the verses before and after it.

For more detailed explanation check the link below.

http://www.muslimaccess.com/quraan/tafseer/tauba.htm

I ve quoted the text below:

An Analysis of Al-Taubah 9: 1 - 28…

I would very briefly try to explain some of the important points that need to be considered while determining the nature of the directive entailed in the referred verses of the Qur’an . Please keep in mind that the referred verses are a part of Surah Al-Taubah, which in turn has its own particular placement in the Qur’an  being preceded by Surah Al-An`aam, Al-A`raaf and Al-Anfaal. A thorough understanding of Surah Al-Taubah will obviously require an in-depth understanding of the preceding Surahs as well, as they serve as the premises on which the directives in Surah Al-Taubah are given. However, to avoid extra-ordinarily lengthy details, I shall, presently, restrict the scope of my analysis only to the evidences that are internal to Surah Al-Taubah. In case any question remains unanswered, we can then take up the analysis of the whole group of Surahs, beginning from Al-An`aam and ending at Al-Taubah.

The first point that needs to be considered is the opening of Surah Al-Taubah. The opening of the Surah may be translated as:

“A declaration of the dissolution of agreements from God and His messenger to the idolaters with whom you have made [no-war] agreements. Thus, you [O polytheists] may freely traverse in the land for four months, but know that you shall not escape God’s judgment and that God shall surely humble the unbelievers. A proclamation [should be made] to these people from God and His messenger on the day of Hajj-e-Akbar, [declaring] that God and His messenger are no longer under any obligation toward these polytheists. If you repent, [O polytheists,] it shall be better for you but if you turn your backs [paying no heed], then know that you shall not be able to escape God’s judgment. Give these rejecters the glad tidings of a painful punishment, except those polytheists who have not dishonored their treaties with you and have not aided anyone against you. With these, fulfill your treaties till the appointed term. Indeed, God loves the righteous. When the sacred months are over, slay the polytheists wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them and lie in ambush for them.” (Al-Taubah 9: 1 – 5)

The Qur’an  further says:

“How can there be any responsibility of these agreements on God and His messenger, except those with whom you made agreements at the Sacred Mosque? Thus, so long as they uphold their part of the treaty, you should uphold yours. Indeed God loves the righteous.” (Al-Taubah 9: 7)

A close look at the above verses shall suffice as evidence to the fact that the directive, “Arrest them, besiege them and lie in ambush for them” is given against those polytheists with whom the Muslims, under the leadership of the Prophet  (pbuh), had entered into an agreement and who had disregarded this agreement and aided others against the Muslims. Obviously, these qualities cannot be generalized on all the polytheists of the world.

The Qur’an  further says:

“Will you not fight against those who have broken their oaths and have conspired to banush the messenger? They were the first to attack you.” (Al-Taubah 9: 12)

Thus, a further qualification of those against whom the directive is given is that besides breaking their oaths with the Muslims, they conspired to banush the Prophet  (pbuh) and were the first to attack the Muslims. It is obvious that the referred directive implies to take action against a particular people. It cannot be generalized to the whole world and to all times to come. The Qur’an  further clarifies that the directive is mainly against those particular polytheists who were the custodians of the Haram – the Ka`bah. The Qur’an  says:

“It is not becoming for these polytheists to manage the mosques of God – being themselves witnesses on their own rejection.” (Al-Taubah 9: 17)

An important point to remember here is that, according to the Qur’an , it is the special and specific position of the Rasu’l (messengers) of Allah, which renders the rejecters among his direct addressees “themselves witnesses on their own rejection”. The Qur’an  tells us that the messengers of the Almighty, in contrast to Nabi’s (prophets), are not merely deliverers of God’s message. It tells us that a messenger of God is a sign of God’s final justice. When God sends his messenger among a people, these people are left with no excuse of rejection. The truth becomes as apparent for them as the shining sun. Consequently, if these people persist in their rejection, they are sentenced to one of the following two punishments depending upon their beliefs:

If they are polytheists (Mushrik), they are sentenced to death, as a punishment of their rejection. The Qur’an  has presented the people of `aad, Thamud, Nooh, Lut, Musa etc. as examples of this category;

On the other hand, if these people are not polytheists, they are not sentenced to death, however they are forced to become subservient to the believers  of the messenger. The Banu Israeel, after their rejection of Jesus (pbuh)[1] were subjected to this punishment.

Keeping this brief explanation of God’s law regarding the rejecters of His Rasu’l in perspective it should be clear that the phrase ‘being themselves witnesses on their own rejection’ implies a particular people against whom the companions of the Prophet  (pbuh) are directed to take the action.

As has been mentioned above, the polytheists among the rejecters of a messenger of God are sentenced to death. The implementation of this sentence may take two forms, depending on the condition of the believers :

If the believers  are very few in number and if an Islamic state has not been created, then this punishment is directly implemented by the Almighty. This implementation normally takes the form of a natural calamity, like a flood, an earthquake, a windstorm etc. This has generally been the case with the rejecters of the messengers of Allah. They were punished by nature unleashed. The Qur’an , in Surah Al-Qamar, while addressing the polytheists of Arabia , at the beginning of the Prophet ‘s ministry, has referred to some of the more known among the rejecters of the previous messengers of God and has mentioned the consequences that they were subjected to face because of their rejection. At the end of the Surah, the Qur’an  has asked the addressees of the Prophet (pbuh):

“[Why O polytheists of Arabia , would you not be punished in the same way?] Are your unbelievers better than these [previous rejecters of our messengers]? Or are you given immunity [from this punishment] in the Holy Scriptures? Do they say: We are a strong army [of men]? [Nay,] the army shall surely be routed and they shall flee turning their backs.” (Al-Qamar 54: 43 – 46)

Thus, the addressees of the Prophet  (pbuh) were warned of the consequences of their rejection from the beginning of the Prophet’s ministry. They were informed that if they persist in their rejection, they shall face the same consequences as were faced by the rejecters of the previous messengers of God.

If a significant number of people accept the messenger of God and the messenger also succeeds in forming an Islamic state, then this punishment is implemented through the believers . This serves two purposes. Firstly, the rejecters are punished and secondly, the believers are tested for their truthfulness and the genuineness of their faith.

Keeping this point in perspective, if we consider Al-Taubah 9: 14 – 16, we see that these verses direct the companions of the Prophet  (pbuh) to fight the unbelievers and inform them of the reasons for this directive. Let us take a close look at these verses:

“Fight them. God shall punish them [for their rejection] through your hands. He shall humble them, grant you victory over them and shall thereby heal the spirit of the believers  and remove all rancor from their hearts… [This fighting against your own kith and kin shall be a test for the truthfulness of your belief in God.] Did you think that you would be left alone [and not tested for the truthfulness of your faith], while God has not yet determined those among you who fight [in His way] and take none as close associates except God, His messenger and the believers? [Remember that] God is aware of all your actions.”

Seen in this perspective, it should be obvious that the directives entailed in these verses are specific to the direct addressees of the Qur’an . They can, by no means, be generalized for all human beings and for all times to come.

Finally, if we look at Al-Taubah 9: 39 – 40, we shall see that in these verses, God has warned the hypocrites  and the weak among Muslims that if they do not help the Prophet  (pbuh) and fight according to God’s directives, they shall face the dire consequences of turning their backs. These verses also declare that whether the Muslims help the Prophet (pbuh) or not, God shall Himself help him and shall grant him victory over the rejecters. The Qur’an  says:

“If you do not go to war [against these rejecters], He will punish you severely and will replace you by another people [, who shall help him]. You will not harm him in any way for God [is his protector and He] has power over all things. [Thus,] if you do not help him, God [will Himself help him, as He] helped him when these rejecters drove him out, when he was only the second among the two. When they were in the cave, when he said to his companion: ‘Do not despair, indeed God is with us’. God caused His tranquility to descend upon him and strengthened him with warriors that were not visible to you and [thus] He routed the words of the rejecters and exalted the word of God. Indeed God is mighty and wise.”

The ultimate result of the fighting regarding which the believers  were being directed to participate in was also declared in this Surah. The Qur’an  declared:

“It is He, Who has sent His messenger with His guidance and the True Religion that He may exalt it above all other religions [of Arabia], however much these polytheists may detest it.” (Al-Taubah 9: 33)

In the light of the above explanation, it should be clear that the Surah and the directives entailed in it are specific not only in their address but also in their implication.

I hope this helps. In case any aspect of my answer remains unclear, please feel free in writing back to me at your own convenience.

May the Almighty guide us all to the path of His liking.

Regards
Re: Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently? by babs787(m): 2:44pm On Mar 28, 2009
Muslim's Manners and Duties

A Muslim's life is nothing but total commitment to Allah. We are not only monotheists (people of tawheed) but we are also theo centric people.

Surat Al-Israa' was revealed to Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) in Makkah after his Night Journey from Makkah to Jerusalem . In verses 23–39 of this surah, Allah mentions some basic commitments of Muslims. Without fulfilling these commitments, no individual or group can succeed. Muslims have to live by these values and should invite humanity to these principles. These principles are not limited to one race, tribe, or group; they are universal in their scope and application. These are also called the hikmah or the teachings of wisdom. It is wise for everyone to follow them. If followed properly, they are capable of increasing the goodness and wisdom of all people. These principles are as follows:

1. To worship Allah alone

(Thy Lord hath decreed, that ye worship none save Him.) (Al-Israa' 17:23)

This means to recognize Allah as the ultimate reality and to recognize Allah as the Lord, to worship Him with all sincerity and to submit to Him in every aspect of life. A Muslim's life is nothing but total commitment to Allah. Allah is the center of our life and He is our total and ultimate concern.

2. To be respectful and kind to parents

(And (that ye show) kindness to parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not "Fie" unto them nor repulse them, but speak unto them a gracious word. And make yourself submissively gentle to them with compassion, and say: My Lord! Have mercy on them both as they did care for me when I was little.) (Al-Israa' 17:23-24)

This is to acknowledge the compassion and kindness of parents, to be grateful to them, and to do one's utmost to reciprocate that love and compassion. Filial piety and devotion is the second most important commitment of Muslims. Respect and kindness to parents is not just a social duty for us; it is our religious duty and obligation.

3. To be good to relatives, to the poor, and to the travelers

(Give the kinsman his due, and the needy, and the wayfarer.) (Al-Israa' 17:26)

This is to remember that we are interconnected in this world. Our responsibilities are not only towards ourselves and our immediate families, but also to other relatives and to the society at large. We are all in need of each other and we are all fellow travelers in this path of life. We must see what we can do for others. Muslims must live a socially responsible life. Social responsibility begins with the family and other relatives and it includes all those who are in need.

4. To be careful with money and not waste resources

[b](And squander not (thy wealth) in wantonness. Lo! the squanderers were ever brothers of the devils, and the devil was ever an ingrate to his Lord … And let not thy hand be chained (like a niggard's) to thy neck nor open it with a complete opening, lest thou become blameworthy and destitute. Lo! thy Lord enlargeth the provision for whom He will, and straiteneth (it for whom He will). Lo, He was ever Knower, Seer of His slaves.) (Al-Israa' [/b]17:26-27, 29-30)

One should be neither too tight with one's money nor too loose with it. Extravagance is not right, but also one should not become stingy and miserly. A Muslim is committed to the balanced life style. Money should be earned in halal (lawful) ways and it should be spent in the right manner. This principle can be applied to all resources that Allah has given us. Wise and conscientious use of resources is a very important commitment of Muslims.

5. To take good care of children

(Slay not your children, fearing a fall to poverty, We shall provide for them and for you. Lo! the slaying of them is great sin.) (Al-Israa' 17:31)

As we recognize the rights of the parents, we should also recognize the rights of children. Our children are our future. We must see that we raise healthy, intelligent and morally responsible children. Our commitment should be to raise them in safe and healthy environment. We must protect their life as well as their sprit and mind, their morals and manners.

6. To steer clear of adultery and illicit relations

(And come not near unto fornication. Lo! it is an abomination and an evil way.) (Al-Israa' [/b]17:32)

Sexual perversions bring the greatest harm to individuals and societies. Observing the proper rules in this matter lead to health, happiness, and a good, moral society. Muslims are committed to pure, clean, and socially responsible lifestyle. Islam teaches that one should not come even close to adultery or fornication. This means proper dress codes for males and females, proper behavior in mixed societies, and proper control on social relations and entertainment.

7. To respect every life and not to kill anyone unless in the pursuit of justice

[b](And slay not the life which Allah hath forbidden except for a just cause.)
(Al-Israa' 17:33)

This means that one should recognize the sanctity of all life and should not do anything that may jeopardize life. One should avoid aggression and violence, because these things lead to murder. Every Muslim must be committed to peaceful ways. Conflicts should be resolved by dialogue and negotiations, not by killings and murders. However, justice must be maintained, because just punishment brings safety and protects life.

8. To take care of the orphans

(Come not nigh to the orphan's property except to improve it, until he attains the age of full strengthwink
(Al-Israa' 17:34)

Orphans and all those who are vulnerable must be taken care of. Their rights must be recognized and they should be protected from all harm. A Muslim must be deeply committed to the care of the young, poor, infirm, and handicapped. Kindness and compassion is the basic commitment of a Muslim. It includes everyone and includes the animals.

9. To fulfill promises and commitments

(And keep the covenant. Lo! of the covenant it will be asked.) (Al-Israa' 17:34)

Promises and contracts are an important part of human life and human civilization. When promises are not kept, people lose trust in each other and the whole society becomes weak. Muslims must be true to their words. Our commitment must be to speak the truth and to be honest and when we make a pledge we must do our best to fulfill our pledges.

10. To be honest in business dealings and not cheat in weight or measurement

(Give full measure when ye measure, and weigh with a balance that is straight: that is the most fitting and the most advantageous in the end.)
(Al-Israa' 17:35)

Honest business brings progress, success, and blessings. All business, whether commercial, social, or political must be done with a sense of justice and fairness. A Muslim is committed to fair dealing in every thing and with every one. Dealing with a Muslim means dealing with full confidence. A Muslim businessman should be the most truthful businessman. A Muslim worker should be the most honest worker. A Muslim in any profession should bring honor to that profession.

11. To do things with knowledge and not follow hearsay or act on half knowledge

(follow not that whereof thou hast no knowledge. Lo! the hearing and the sight and the heart—of each of these it will be asked.)
(Al-Israa' 17:36)

The information agencies, the media, have a great responsibility. A lot of injustice is done when misinformation is given or information is misused. Muslims should be committed to truth in information. They should promote truthful and honest reporting about everyone, including their enemies. A report coming from a Muslim source should be the most trustworthy report. In a similar way, Muslims should be extremely careful with their actions and reactions. They should not react against everyone without proper evidence.

12. To be humble and have no arrogance

(And walk not on the earth exultant. Lo! thou canst not rend the earth, nor canst thou stretch to the height of the mountains.)
(Al-Israa' 17:37)

Moderation and balance is the best thing in one's behavior as well as in one's attitude toward others. A Muslim is a dignified person, but he or she is humble. A Muslim is not boastful, arrogant, or vainglorious. A Muslim thanks Allah for all His gifts. For everything, the ultimate praise is for Allah and the real glory belongs to Allah.

These are the basic commitments of Muslims as individuals and as people. These are the principles of wisdom and the universal values of Islam. When they are followed, they bring justice, peace, and happiness in this world and they will indeed bring success and salvation in the Hereafter. Let us all try to make these our real commitments.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (32) (Reply)

Is This The Most Beautiful Mosque In Nigeria? / Where 2 Oceans Meet But Do Not Mix, Confirmed By The Quran Over 1400 Years Back / 10 Incredible Health Benefits Of Fasting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 269
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.