Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,523 members, 7,819,881 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria (10778 Views)

Why Bola Ahmed Tinubu Is Nigeria's Most Powerful Politician / Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Nigeria's Most Powerful Politician - Onyebuchi Ememanka / What Benue Student Eyes Saw In The Hands Of Benue Politician In Abuja *PATHETIC* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by bilymuse: 8:27am On Aug 28, 2008
[size=16pt]Who is the most powerful politician in Nigeria?[/size]

The person should be someone who command strong national influence with a firm regional base.
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 8:38am On Aug 28, 2008
At the moment, i would have to say it is the Saraki's

With a veteran father, a daughter in the senate, connections in all the right places and a son running things as a governor, they are set!
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:53am On Aug 28, 2008
Is thuggery, intimidation and killing you idea of being powerful?

Stupid Nigerians will never stop celebrating stupidity and evil. angry
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 9:03am On Aug 28, 2008
I give it to Saraki too:

Reasons:
-Son as Governor. Not just any Governor, the most powerful Governor today! Former Chairman of Northern Governors forum, later All Governors forum, played a great role in installing Yar'adua as President. He remote-controlled the last PDP national convention. Journalists will tell you this

-Daughter as Senator: Arguably the most powerful female-senator.Recurring nominee for Senate President. Anti-Third term, yet Obasanjo couldn't do anything to her

-SGBN: If Societe Generale bank was owned by another person, the person would have been languishing in jail now. But EFCC dare not move near Saraki, even as he didn't support Third term

-Chairman of Northern Union: For Saraki, a Yoruba, to be commanding events in the north is no mean feat.

-Have Saraki in your party and count Kwara and Kogi as your states even before election!!!
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by bilymuse: 9:16am On Aug 28, 2008
Brash
At the moment, i would have to say it is the Saraki's

With a veteran father, a daughter in the senate, connections in all the right places and a son running things as a governor, they are set

Kwara is a village , underdeveloped , filled with illiterates. Saraki is the only politician of note from the state, that is why he tread the political landscape unchallenged.  He plays amala politics and treated the people with utter disgust and contempt by ruling the state as a extension of his private company.

Shame on kwarans and all the apostles of amala politics.

Stats:
His state (kwara) standing his high, his regional ( north) standing low, and national standing ( Nigeria) low. Saraki is not in contention for the top political grandmaster slot.
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by bilymuse: 9:26am On Aug 28, 2008
Nuzo

Stupid Nigerians will never stop celebrating stupidity and evil.

Even in the developed democracy, violence , intimidation and killing exist in their politics. The degree varies , this is true everywhere iin the world.
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 9:32am On Aug 28, 2008
bilymuse:

Brash
Kwara is a village , underdeveloped , filled with illiterates. Saraki is the only politician of note from the state, that is why he tread the political landscape unchallenged. He plays amala politics and treated the people with utter disgust and contempt by ruling the state as a extension of his private company.

Stats:
His state (kwara) standing his high, his regional ( north) standing low, and national standing ( Nigeria) low. Saraki is not in contention for the top political grandmaster slot.

Bring another person and let's compare!!!

It only shows your ignorance of Nigerian politics. Saraki's influence goes beyond Kwara. It is national. All parties scramble for his membership. If he was not influential, why didn't EFCC touch him over SGBN. He didn't support Third term and nothing happened. Maybe you expect him to install all the governors of the 36 states before he becomes nationally powerful.

PS:Tinubu installed Fashola as Lagos governor. Is Lagos also rural?
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 9:38am On Aug 28, 2008
bilymuse:

Brash
Kwara is a village , underdeveloped , filled with illiterates. Saraki is the only politician of note from the state, that is why he tread the political landscape unchallenged. He plays amala politics and treated the people with utter disgust and contempt by ruling the state as a extension of his private company.

Stats:

forget it, i dont see anyone else to be honest still standing today oo

he has major influences, put it that way!

MOST POLITICIANS TODAY ONLY HAVE MOUTH IN THIER ZONES AND VERY FEW EXERT INFLUENCE BEYOND!

The leverage is just parallel althrough the various political zones for 95% of politicians

The Yar'Adua's used to be the major powerhouse of politics in Nigeria, until Musa died, things got on the back burner a bit and others jumped ahead
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 9:44am On Aug 28, 2008
nuzo:

Stupid Nigerians will never stop celebrating stupidity and evil. angry

Nobody is promoting or celebrating thuggery, evil, intimidation, grandfatherism and killing here my friend

We are talking about Nigeria's brand of politics which is tainted in all of the above condiments anyway

Regardless of how bad they are, the poster asked who is the most powerful

The most powerful and influential could kill as many as he likes, but the point is, he his still powerful

Who was the most powerful politician in Iraq until last year? Saddam Hussein

Despite being a tyrant, he still had people running helter skelter for cover whenever he threads around!

bilymuse:

Nuzo
Even in the developed democracy, violence , intimidation and killing exist in their politics. The degree varies , this is true everywhere iin the world.

Exactly!
Take note NUZO!
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 9:46am On Aug 28, 2008
The Top 3, as far I believe:

1, Saraki
2, Tinubu
3, Kalu
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by youngies(m): 12:28pm On Aug 28, 2008
ife-eco-06:

I give it to Saraki too:

Reasons:
-Son as Governor. Not just any Governor, the most powerful Governor today! Former Chairman of Northern Governors forum, later All Governors forum, played a great role in installing Yar'adua as President. He remote-controlled the last PDP national convention. Journalists will tell you this

-Daughter as Senator: Arguably the most powerful female-senator.Recurring nominee for Senate President. Anti-Third term, yet Obasanjo couldn't do anything to her

-SGBN: If Societe Generale bank was owned by another person, the person would have been languishing in jail now. But EFCC dare not move near Saraki, even as he didn't support Third term

-Chairman of Northern Union: For Saraki, a Yoruba, to be commanding events in the north is no mean feat.
-Have Saraki in your party and count Kwara and Kogi as your states even before election!!!

The highlighted parts refers.

Please I find it difficult to reconcile your referring to the Sarakis as Yorubas, when they have done everything humanly possible to distant themselves from being labelled as yorubas.

The elder Saraki once said in an interview while trying desprately to prove that Kwara is a northern State and mostly inhabitated by northerners, I quote "I accept that there are a few yoruba compounds in Kwara. . . " This doesn't sound to me like yoruba politician speaking.

The point of EFCC not moving against the Sarakis even though they did not support TTA is simply laughable. They are countless politicians with alot of excess baggage who publicly on a daily denounced TTA and EFCC never looked their way.

Granted the Sarakis are powerful but far from being the MOST powerful politicians in Nigeria. The scale of measurement needs to be callibrated, the S.I unit known and the minimum standard set before you can start bringing them to the table.
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 1:34pm On Aug 28, 2008
Just because you're the king of boys in your village doesn't make you the Most Powerful Politician in Nigeria; therefore, at this time Saraki will not be selected among this group. May be in few years, but for now the most powerful in Nigeria are:
IBB
David Mark
Yar'Adua

Furthermore, thuggery, intimidation and killing absolutely doesn't represent power; substantial power is invisible (can not be seen or touched by anyone).
For better understanding, you can go ahead and use Saddam and Osama as a case study. There is a reason why one was captured in just few months while the other one is still chilling out somewhere.
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:16pm On Aug 28, 2008
@BigB1

For the second or third time in your entire posts in Nairaland, you made sense in the second paragragh. grin

How u dey my guy?
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by palmwine(m): 2:29pm On Aug 28, 2008
Power or authority is the ability to influence poeple. Which people like Awo, Zik all had.

All the names being mentioned here cannot come out and give an intelligent debate on national issues.

These are poeple who simply cajole or coax other. They rig election because they determine who gets posted to them as Resident electoral officer, buy the police during election. etc. I leaved in Ilorin for a long time Iknow how this work.

No family in nigeria is power for now. They are all rigging machines.
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by jaybee3(m): 2:35pm On Aug 28, 2008
nuzo:

@BigB1

For the second or third time in your entire posts in Nairaland, you made sense in the second paragragh. grin

lol

@bigb1
whats it with this your obsession of IBB? Are you on his payroll?
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 28, 2008
@jay bee

You no go defend you papa if na you?

BIGB1 is moh'd Babangida; IBB's first son. cool
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by jaybee3(m): 2:45pm On Aug 28, 2008
word grin
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 2:56pm On Aug 28, 2008
Nuzo:
How business for your side? I hope all is cool.

My support for IBB is incompressible; if you pay attention, it wouldn't take you too long to realize that you can learn one or two things from this man's character.
I try not to only focus on negative side of things.

There is more to leadership and there will never be a perfect leader.
IBB is not a perfect man, but I still believe that he has no match in Nigeria today; he's absolutely one of a kind.

And no, he isn't my father!
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by DisGuy: 4:08pm On Aug 28, 2008
ife-eco-06:

The Top 3, as far I believe:

1, Saraki
2, Tinubu
3, Kalu

Kalu like most people from his region have little or no support/influence outside this home state to be honest

Tinubu might just have a bit more spread across the country

in fact most politicians in nigeria are local champions!

Benue,Ilroin and Kogi are somewhat like neutral sates-not really with any major tribe perhaps that's why Saraki appear to be having more influence
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by dudubobo1: 4:34pm On Aug 28, 2008
I agree that Kwara State is something of a peculiar State in that the level of illiteracy and ignorance makes them camparable or worse than what I saw when was in Bauchi for a course in 1990 lipsrsealed
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 5:00pm On Aug 28, 2008
Still, it is inaccurate to rate someone as the most powerful politician in Nigeria just because they're capable of holding down their neighborhood.
Nigeria is a large country with multiple tribes and religion; therefore, if you can not firmly hold down at least 85% of these states, by establishing infallible links or connections and also mingle freely among all the tribes, I'm sorry, I do not think you could be categorized as the most powerful politician.

It is a different ball game to operate a business in your village and to go international. To go international requires more experience, connections and enormous stamina.

I still think that at the moment, the super power are:
IBB
David Mark
Yar'Adua
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 5:15pm On Aug 28, 2008
Big B1:

Just because you're the king of boys in your village doesn't make you the Most Powerful Politician in Nigeria; therefore, at this time Saraki will not be selected among this group. May be in few years, but for now the most powerful in Nigeria are:
IBB
David Mark
Yar'Adua

Furthermore, thuggery, intimidation and killing absolutely doesn't represent power; substantial power is invisible (can not be seen or touched by anyone).
For better understanding, you can go ahead and use Saddam and Osama as a case study. There is a reason why one was captured in just few months while the other one is still chilling out somewhere.

Pls remove Mark from that list. He doesn't have any influence other than the official power vested on him as Senate President. Unknown Young Alhaji fought him to finish in his senatorial district and he almost lost his seat.

Yar'adua too is not powerful enough(even Bukola Saraki is more powerful than him). Other than Presidential power that he possesses, of course, I don't see him as a powerful Politician in the mould of his late brother,Musa or even Atiku.

IBB is still highly powerful, but Obasanjo was able to clip his wing. I never believed IBB will not clinch PDP ticket in 2007!!! His power and influence has greatly declined, no thanks to OBJ. But there is no denying the fact that IBB is powerful though.
youngies:

The highlighted parts refers.

Please I find it difficult to reconcile your referring to the Sarakis as Yorubas, when they have done everything humanly possible to distant themselves from being labelled as yorubas.

The elder Saraki once said in an interview while trying desprately to prove that Kwara is a northern State and mostly inhabitated by northerners, I quote "I accept that there are a few yoruba compounds in Kwara. . . " This doesn't sound to me like yoruba politician speaking.

The point of EFCC not moving against the Sarakis even though they did not support TTA is simply laughable. They are countless politicians with alot of excess baggage who publicly on a daily denounced TTA and EFCC never looked their way.

Granted the Sarakis are powerful but far from being the MOST powerful politicians in Nigeria. The scale of measurement needs to be callibrated, the S.I unit known and the minimum standard set before you can start bringing them to the table.

An Hausa/Fulani can definitely not be bearing OLUSOLA, BUKOLA or GBEMISOLA. All those statements are merely political, as Politicians do.
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 5:27pm On Aug 28, 2008
IBB is still highly powerful, but Obasanjo was able to clip his wing.

Make no mistake about it; eventhough OBJ was in-charge, but IBB was fully in-control during that period.
And FYI: OBJ knew clearly that the only real friend he had when he was in power was IBB. Forget the sycophants, they come and they go. Only the real soldiers remain regardless of the circumstance.

OBJ also recognized during this same period that there were lines he mustn't cross and believe it or not, he did not cross these lines.

There were nothing that took place at this period that IBB did not know about, at least 2 months in advance.

Absolutely, there were no wings to be clipped
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 5:36pm On Aug 28, 2008
Please remove Mark from that list. He doesn't have any influence other than the official power vested on him as Senate President. Unknown Young Alhaji fought him to finish in his senatorial district and he almost lost his seat.

I've picked David Mark because he represents a bridge between multiple entities. He gets along with all the super stars.

You stated that he almost lost to an unknown young Alhaji, this is correct. But what counts in the name of politics is the big "W".
He won!
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 6:03pm On Aug 28, 2008
Big B1:

Make no mistake about it; eventhough OBJ was in-charge, but IBB was fully in-control during that period.
And FYI: OBJ knew clearly that the only real friend he had when he was in power was IBB. Forget the sycophants, they come and they go. Only the real soldiers remain regardless of the circumstance.

OBJ also recognized during this same period that there were lines he mustn't cross and believe it or not, he did not cross these lines.

There were nothing that took place at this period that IBB did not know about, at least 2 months in advance.

Absolutely, there were no wings to be clipped

Do you know about Politics at all? Yes, there is no denying the fact that IBBwas one of those that installed OBJ in 1999, but things fell apart before the end of OBJ's second term. OBJ wanted to run 2007 election under PDP's umbrella, but OBJ rather gave the ticket to Yar'adua. OBJ bluntly told him to step down or pursue his ambition in another party. IBB was disappointed, but knew only PDP could win him the election.

Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 6:12pm On Aug 28, 2008
Do you know about Politics at all? Yes, there is no denying the fact that IBBwas one of those that installed OBJ in 1999, but things fell apart before the end of OBJ's second term. OBJ wanted to run 2007 election under PDP's umbrella, but OBJ rather gave the ticket to Yar'adua. OBJ bluntly told him to step down or pursue his ambition in another party. IBB was disappointed, but knew only PDP could win him the election.

Please adjust your post; separate my statement from yours.

OK, just because OBJ bluntly told IBB to step down means OBJ clipped IBB's wing?
Have you asked yourself who bluntly told OBJ (the president) that the 3rd term idea wouldn't be possible?
Have you asked yourself who was behind the voting against the 3rd term?
Have you asked yourself who approved the placement of Yar'Adua as the president?
Have you asked yourself why out of all people David Mark was elected as the senate president?
Have you asked yourself why OBJ's stock went down from £1000 per stock to 5 pence in less than 16 months?

My man; pleaseeeeee, come again!
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by DisGuy: 6:35pm On Aug 28, 2008
An Hausa/Fulani can definitely not be bearing OLUSOLA, BUKOLA or GBEMISOLA. All those statements are merely political, as Politicians do.

True, its all a game really, the yoruba states definately wont see ilorin as another tribe and the hausa states wont either so they winning on both sides!
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 7:35pm On Aug 28, 2008
Dis Guy:

True, its all a game really, the yoruba states definately wont see ilorin as another tribe and the hausa states wont either so they winning on both sides!

Saraki is Yoruba, take it or leave it.

I'm also a Northerner but a Yoruba, no thanks to the 1914 mistake that saw the northern boundary put just after my town(Offa).

I'm a northerner!!!
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by AhmaSG: 9:57pm On Aug 28, 2008
Wat all nigerians fail to understand is that the most powerful politician in nigeria or else were is YOU ! The voter , the citizen , the patriot. Unite as one and feel the power.
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by bilymuse: 7:42am On Aug 29, 2008
dudu-bobo
I agree that Kwara State is something of a peculiar State in that the level of illiteracy and ignorance makes them camparable or worse than what I saw when was in Bauchi for a course in 1990

May your dudu continue to shine like the black gold.
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by bilymuse: 7:56am On Aug 29, 2008

As of 5 years ago , there are more than 300 hundred banks and financial houses in Nigeria. More than half of them were formed during IBB era when he deregulated the financial sector and are owned by corrupt politicians /retired military officers. Most of the financial houses went under, and nothing happen to their owners. So it not only Saraki that got away with duping innocent depositors.

Regarding the third term, more than 70% of Nigerian politicians didn't support it, and nothing happen to them too.
Re: Who Is The Most Powerful Politician In Nigeria by vowiski(m): 7:59am On Aug 29, 2008
BABA OBJ.
YOU CAN'T IGNORE OR DENNY THE FACT.
GO! OBJ, RULE 4 EVA.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List / Nwobike Paid N750,000 In Justice Yunusa’s Account - Witness / NDLEA Arrests 45-Year-Old Business Man For Ingesting Cocaine Wraps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.