Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,904 members, 7,817,677 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy (1597 Views)

Watch How These Kids Danced At A Birthday Party (video) / My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! / My Wife Over Spiritual Orientation Is Driving Me Nuts!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by pspeak: 3:40am On Aug 30, 2008
Kids can be fun to have around, but sometimes they do things that get you so mad that you lose your cool and almost forget you parenting 101 lessons.

What do your kids do that drive you crazy and how do you cope? Share.
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by KarmaMod(f): 3:55am On Aug 30, 2008
You must be a new mother else you'd know that to deal with misbehaved children, you lock them up in bird cages and only feed them crackers.
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by pspeak: 5:22am On Aug 30, 2008
really? how do you mean?

1 Like

Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by ifyalways(f): 7:50am On Aug 30, 2008
pspeak:

Kids can be fun to have around, but sometimes they do things that get you so mad that you lose your cool and almost forget you parenting 101 lessons.

What do your kids do that drive you crazy and how do you cope? Share.
really?
what exactly gets u crazy?have u asked your mum how crazy u were when u where same age? lol
look at them as kids,always watch out for the funny side of whatever thing they are doing,who knows u might end up laffing in the course of scolding.Just be coola dn always do remember that u were once like them. grin goodluck
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by Nobody: 10:43am On Aug 30, 2008
I think Pspeak's asked a fairly logical question, not all new parents, and sometimes old ones cope easily.

Why turn the topic into a joke?
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by coolier(f): 10:50am On Aug 30, 2008
Sometimes you can't win with really troublesome kids so I would say "if you can't beat them, you join them" - not 'beat' as in 'hit'. They drive you crazy, you drive them more crazy.
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by Outstrip(f): 5:03pm On Aug 30, 2008
My mom always said 'the child that says his mother will not rest will not rest either". LOL. I was fighting with my two year old this morning. My husband even had to come get him. He is very attached to me and when I say literally on top of me all day, everyday I mean just that. His body has to be touching mine. If I am cooking, he will be holding my skirt. I still carry him on my hip sometimes even though I have a 1 year old. My husband feels sorry for me sometimes. It is not always easy. He seems to need more attention than his brother and I am understanding for the most part and he gets jealous of the attention I give my husband sometimes. The only advice I can give is that you take it one day at a time.
Why don't you talk to your husband and one of these saturday's just take time off for yourself and go do whatever. Shopping, spa day etc. Just you. It helps.
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by pspeak: 7:06pm On Aug 30, 2008
Well said. Thank you my sister.
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by Arielle: 9:31pm On Aug 30, 2008
I am currently in my bedroom, where I locked myself in, to get away from them. They are hammering on my door, screaming at the top of their voices. The latest bone of contention? Shrek. That is all they watch. Over and over and over again. This evening I discovered the dvd was scratched. I tried to play another one, only for my 3 year old to start yelling at the top of his voice. I re-inserted Shrek, but it kept stopping and starting, prompting another round of screaming and crying. What is a poor harassed mother to do? I carried my lap-top (amputer, as my 2 year old calls it) and retreated to the tranquility of my bedroom.
My dear, you're not alone. Sometimes, I feel like packing my bag and running away!
My 2 year old clings to me like a limpet. He literally wraps himself around my legs. Last weekend, I took them to a fast food place to get some takeaway. I left them playing in the Wendy house in the play area, with their nanny watching them while I went to the counter to order. My 2 year old came up behind me, and wrapped himself around my leg. At the same time, I stepped back and then felt him clinging to my leg. In trying to avoid stepping on him, I lost my balance and fell backwards, flat on my back with my legs up in the air, in the middle of a crowded restaurant. Thank God I was wearing jeans. What could I do, but pick myself up with the help of the very sympathetic by-standers.
Welcome to parenthood!
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by pspeak: 6:21pm On Aug 31, 2008
@ Arielle

I know what you mean deary, I do. Couldn't help laughing though. Anyway, thanks and more fun to your parenting.
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by tRoOE(f): 6:59pm On Aug 31, 2008
Some kids can be evil at sometimes

2wks ago my sister(15yrs) called me crying telling me that our last born(9yrs) was pulling her braids, throwing things at her to the point she had a big nut on her head. All what my mom did was cry and complained how she frustrated by her behaviour.
Kids can provoke you to the point of having an heartattack
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by sistawoman: 10:52pm On Aug 31, 2008
I am a bit confused here. Let me say kids driving you crazy is that some sort of other language other than English. I speak fluent English, and Ebonics and just a little Yoruba.

But i am not familiar with the term "kids driving me crazy".

Children are to be seen and not heard. Locking my self in my bedroom. I wish the hell i would. i work Monday-Friday and on Saturday my children know, breakfast is cereal and dont wake me until i get up. I am up most Saturday mornings before them but they dont know that I just lay in my room talking to hubby or watching TV or reading. When i get home from work I go to my room, with my door open, and relax before cooking dinner, checking homework and catching up on their day. Children will take an yard if given an inch. Therefore it is vitally important to my sanity and their safety that they never get that inch. There are clear boundaries and clear consequences for crossing those lines. The older ones teach the younger ones the rules.

And from time to time you have to refresh their memories. I have never had a child fall out on me in the store. I have never had a child that did not understand no the first time. I have never had child that did not go to bed when told to. I have never had a child that did not do as i told them to do the first time.

My children fear me, in a healthily way. All i can say is discipline is key. Spankings should be held for special offences (like lying) and time out or punishments should be used for the rest. Let me define time outs - these are those things they hate the most. They would rather get a beating then time out. They do things like: Hop on one foot until i tell you to stop, hold the basketball above your head until i tell you to drop it, dont let it touch the top of your head and dont let it come down level with your head. Hold your arms str8 out and dont let them drop until i tell you to.

My children are 6 boy, 8 girl, 11 boy and i have not had to beat them in over a year or time out in over a year. I never worry that when they go over someones house that they are going to misbehaving because doing so would embarrass me and they dont want to ever do that for the wrath it would bring.

I am very strict on what my children listen to, watch and who they hang out with. But on the other hand I am very generous on the rewards that i give them for good behavior and great grades.
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by pspeak: 2:01am On Sep 01, 2008
Great post, Sistawoman.

I have a little observation though. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems to me like you've never had any problems with your kids. Statements like:

"I have never had a child that did not understand no the first time.  I have never had child that did not go to bed when told to.  I have never had a child that did not do as i told them to do the first time."
And, 
Children are to be seen and not heard.
really paints the picture of a no-nonsense super mommy to me.

I, however do agree that kids kids need discipline and boundaries. Great post.
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by sistawoman: 6:46am On Sep 01, 2008
pspeak:

Great post, Sistawoman.

I have a little observation though. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems to me like you've never had any problems with your kids. Statements like:
And, really paints the picture of a no-nonsense super mommy to me.

I, however do agree that kids kids need discipline and boundaries. Great post.

I have had problems and the first two were the hardest. By the time the third came along there was a 5 year gap with his older brother so my eldest would correct the younger child and keep in line his little sis too. At about 2 is when the tough training starts. You have to be firm with the nos and the boundaries. Not giving an inch is very critical at this stage. I raised my children w/o the support of their dad for the past 6 years. So my word was law. There was always the threat of uncle Ty and Wayne. My two older brothers.

The male voice will do wonders to make a child halt in their steps and as a single mom I used them at first. But then i would lower my voice tone and raise my voice to let them know i ment business. there were other things I did like before we went in a store we reviewed the rule. "All together kids what is the rule before we go in this store. . . . . . *children* "Look with your eyes not with your hands, if I want you to have something I will offer it to you" great now lets go".

My children have had their own bank accounts since my eldest was 5, so when they spotted something they wanted they waited until i was not busy while we were on the aisle and ask if they can buy it out of their accounts. When I started offering incentives for saving the most each month the two oldest stop spending their money and saved it more.

For following the rules and doing chores and getting good grades they receive extra incentives. For instance they have a list of 10 things that they really really want and they earn points toward me buying those things.

They know with one look that they have messed up and do what they have to do to make it right. My children come with explanations for everything they want, as they know they have to justify it. They know when they have broken a rule and tell on themselves before i catch it so that the punishment is not so harsh, and I acknowledge it and let them know what would have happend had they not told me. My children dont lie anymore because a lie is an automatic spanking. The little things I let slide and sometimes just ignore what i heard on saw, depending on the offense and how often.

My children dont get a glass of water out of the fridge w/o permission. My children listen to me at all times. They are children so you must remember that when a new challenge comes up you might have to repeat the rule once but after that there will be no mercy in dishing out the punishment. Embarrassing them in front of their friends is a big one that i have used twice on my son and he never repeated the same mistake again.

My bark is never bigger than my bite.

Raising kids is by far the hardest job on the planet. But i will not tolerate a child being disobedient or stepping out of line. Children are to been seen and not heard. If they follow the rules and do as told the rewards are endless. I spoil the hell out of them but only because they are truly the best kids in the world.
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by benincitys(f): 10:23am On Sep 01, 2008
sistawoman @ my children dont get a glass of water out of the fridge without permission , i think that is harsh what if you are not at home?
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by busybody20: 3:36pm On Sep 01, 2008
KarmaMod:

You must be a new mother else you'D know that to deal with misbehaved children, you lock them up in bird cages and only feed them crackers.

lol grin
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by sistawoman: 12:03pm On Sep 02, 2008
benincitys:

sistawoman @ my children don't get a glass of water out of the fridge without permission , i think that is harsh what if you are not at home?

They call me.

It is not harsh it is simply maintaining that fine line and not giving that inch.
Re: Help! These Kids Are Driving Me Crazy by pspeak: 8:04am On Sep 03, 2008
You must be a new mother else you'D know that to deal with misbehaved children, you lock them up in bird cages and only feed them crackers.

@ busybody20

I was startled when I read the post too. I wish she'd explain the next time she visits this thread.

(1) (Reply)

How Is A Baby Delivered? / . / Baby Born As Mum Fought For Her Life In Hospital After Car Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.