Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,829 members, 7,837,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

Need For More Programmers In Nigeria - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Need For More Programmers In Nigeria (3432 Views)

10 Greatest Computer Programmers In History / No Programmers In Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by logica(m): 11:31am On Sep 26, 2008
lmao.

this is a classic case of reaching for straws.

again i ignored most of the rabble. what does "open solution always beats a specialized solution" have to do with the fact that oracle has higher processing power (which you can verify with benchmarks) than mysql? both are rdbmses. so what is your point? do you think the kind of sql statements i am talking about are the simplistic ones you are used to? talking about multiple joins (left outer, etc), such that each generated statement can extend to 7 lines when allowed to wrap.

i'm glad that like yawa-ti-de once said, you think my thoughts cannot possibly come from me. i am indeed flattered. you must indeed think highly of my thoughts afterall.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by Afam(m): 11:42am On Sep 26, 2008
Does it not disturb you that you have been proven wrong over and over again and each time you choose to ignore rather than admit your mistakes or lack of understanding of issues?

yahoo runs on mysql and you are here advising a client that may most likely never process the volume of information yahoo processes to move to oracle because you heard 20million and you wrongly assumed mysql would not handle that.

By the way, do not think it is a compliment to state that you talk like someone that repeats what he reads on ebooks because a lot of people write all sorts of ebooks and so repeating what is wrong while thinking it is right is not a good thing. It shows your lack of understanding of the issues you are discussing.

Still don't know the connection between your advice to move from mysql to oracle and your earlier statement that open solution beats a specialized solution any day? This guy is really interesting.

Be careful lest you are banned for unlimited goofing on this forum. you cannot sweep everything under the carpet on this forum. Restrict your comments to what you know.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by logica(m): 11:55am On Sep 26, 2008
"Restrict your comments to what you know".

what an apt way to summarize your whole constitution. yahoo runs on mysql in what configuration? do you have an understanding on how yahoo's mysql servers are constituted for efficiency, if indeed yahoo ONLY runs on mysql? of course you are one of those people who just hear such things as "facebook was built with php", probably not realizing that several customizations would have been made to the actual version of the code the developers used that is not in the public domain, but you go into the world quoting it as vindication for using the framework/language.

the mysql instance i was dealing with was live, and i had the other limitation of not being able to modify the schema to suit my needs. under the limitations, raw processing power was the only solution. but really i don't need 2 defend anything as i see you just want to apply the "best form of defense is attack" tactic. face the issue here. your idea is not sound (i refrain from using any language that is harsher than that).

if you don't understand the quote "open solution beats a specialized solution any day" well enough, i will explain to you (rather than mock you for your comprehension limitations). when i said "open solution", i didn't mean open-source and i believe anybody with an open mind would decipher that. in the context, an open solution might not even be open-source. it is open in that there is a high level of abstraction. go figure.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by Afam(m): 12:52pm On Sep 26, 2008
Your lame explanations on why you are advising your client to move to oracle are well noted but trust me your reasons don't make sense even though you may have been able to convince your client.

The idea of the state government framework may not be sound but that is not the essence of this thread and as usual when people find it difficult to make their points they divert attention to other things.

If I needed a programmer and you are the only one available I will rather abandon the project than come close to you because you lack fundamental understanding of issues.

Half knowledge they say is very dangerous.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by logica(m): 1:37pm On Sep 26, 2008
we have gone from a mere critic of your idea to you getting very personal, but i will still not insult you (even though at this point it can be claimed that you had it coming). please take note again, i am not a programmer so i am not available if you need one. contact me when you need an enterprise architect, and that is after you have verified the solution is implementable and makes sense by doing a reality check.

i am glad you conceded the idea of the state web portal MAY not be sound. that's good enough for me. the point of the thread i addressed several posts back so feel free to go back and read. i state with all arrogance that i know way more than you will ever know as far as web application architecture and development goes, and that is putting it mildly. if anybody is going off a tangent from half-knowledge it is you as any objective and tech-savvy observer can tell (for instance your backing up your claim as to the competency of mysql using yahoo's tweaked -customized or optimized- mysql instances as a premise. in case you didn't know, most techies love open-source software for the mere fact that you have access to the code and you can adjust it to suit a specific purpose which might not be suitable for any other purpose).

i wish you the best though.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by yawatide(f): 2:12pm On Sep 26, 2008
logica! logicaaaaa!!

You have definitely not "demoted' yourself in my eyes tongue
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by logica(m): 2:21pm On Sep 26, 2008
lol. madam yawa. i refuse to be demoted. r u back on yahoo? grin
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by Afam(m): 2:24pm On Sep 26, 2008
@logica,

At every turn that you are proven wrong you switch to another issue entirely.

See you when you are able to get the site you did based on LifeRay live as your excuse on mysql not being able to handle anything up to 20 million is based on ignorance.

As usual we have excellent programmers and architects that hide their projects under their beds while claiming to be experts everywhere.

You have pointed to a single website where you have foolishly put "Return to Home Page" link on the home page and you want me to take you serious?

You are not organized upstairs and it seems you are the only benefiting from the discussion because when all your mistakes are pointed out you will correct them without saying thanks.

Enjoy!
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by yawatide(f): 2:29pm On Sep 26, 2008
logica:
Nah, unfortunately.  No YIMming while at work and no personal emails either.  I am usually on sha from 9am - 11am GMT, 7 days a week.  Sorry about that but as they say, "it aint my job.  he who pays the piper dictates the tune" wink
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by logica(m): 2:29pm On Sep 26, 2008
i pointed out @ least 4 websites as shown here:

"but you can take a look @ carefirst.com, starwood.com. you will find some of my work there,  and if you can also get access into the principal financial US wide intranet. well, also try the loans app @ university of penn -> upenn.edu. maybe i should keep it short and simply mail you my resume".

believe you me, you don't want to read my initial response to you. let's just keep it @ that.

@yawa
yeah i understand how that goes. typical corporate america stuff. but come on, there are ways around those grin
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by yawatide(f): 2:36pm On Sep 26, 2008
for that stroke of genius, I will log on to my blackberry to YIM with u, just for u, for the next 15 mins wink
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by Afam(m): 2:47pm On Sep 26, 2008
Send the initial response, it may make more sense.

Thanks for the links. Is there a puzzle free way of knowing who developed the sites you referenced and marrying same to your screen name or am I supposed to believe what you put down here as facts?

On the internet any slowpoke can claim anything and based on your opinions on certain issues as expressed on this thread alone I would be very surprised if you had anything to do with the sites you put down.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by logica(m): 2:53pm On Sep 26, 2008
dude. u r a little bit daft. these are corporate sites in the US. do u honestly expect anybody that worked on them to be able to tie his name to them? these are projects executed in-house by teams of which i was a part. do you think this is some crappy nigerian state site, whose sole purpose is to embezzle some money and doesn't serve any practical purpose? well, go do your home work and tie my name to the sites.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by Afam(m): 3:57pm On Sep 26, 2008
Hmm, the next thing you know another clown registers a username on nairaland, puts down a lot of incoherent posts and gives the websites of Pentagon and the US official websites as his work while hiding under the banner that corporate sites don't have to have site credits.

If you cannot substantiate anything then hold your peace because as things stand now I see you as a fraudulent person and nothing more.

Someone that can effortlessly recommend oracle database to a client because he thinks 20 million and mysql don't go together is certainly lacking in fundamental knowledge when it comes to database driven applications.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by logica(m): 4:23pm On Sep 26, 2008
lol. see this fool just throwing around a word like "database driven" as if he has any idea. how complex is the sql and schema you have ever dealt with? fyi, the sql statements i dealt with in this instance returned result-sets on the average of 8 minutes (which was not practical for a graphing widget) for records of the order of 15 million (~15 X 10^6). if you are in the know, then you will figure what i am talking about here.

and you bet, if i worked on the pentagon website, i will mention it on my portfolio. you must think the people who develop websites for the US government are from mars.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by Afam(m): 6:54pm On Sep 26, 2008
Did I touch something just now?

It seems you are misunderstanding me, I believe you are so good, so good to the extent that you advised a client to go get oracle database because you heard 20 million (assuming your claim is true anyway) and because you know web development well enough to put "Return to Home Page" link on the home page of a website you claimed you developed.

If you cannot substantiate anything then keep those stinking fingers in your pocket as you cannot fool any one on this forum.

There is a disconnect between what you claim to be (of course nothing is substantiated) and the comments that come from you even on basic issues relating to database.

Another faceless criminal with claims that cannot be substantiated. If you cannot prove anything then do not bother claiming anything, this is common sense and this is logical.

Let me know when you come up with another website you claimed you developed. Hint: UN, UNESCO, World Bank etc.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by yawatide(f): 7:39pm On Sep 26, 2008
ROFLMAO!

this is definitely making for some good friday reading. It sure beats going to the club and partying all night

ROFLMAO!
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by logica(m): 9:35am On Sep 27, 2008
indeed @ yawa grin dude is so cowardly even online that it got 2 the point that once i respond, he goes offline waiting for me to leave before responding. i won't waste my time with him anymore.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by Afam(m): 9:48am On Sep 27, 2008
logica:

indeed @ yawa grin dude is so cowardly even online that it got 2 the point that once i respond, he goes offline waiting for me to leave before responding. i won't waste my time with him anymore.

Boy, I never knew you were this stupid. So, I have to keep watch on this forum or this programming section for that matter at all times? My dear get a life, there is a life outside this forum so don't write as if your life really depends on it.

I have an office and I have a home and I have 24 hrs internet access so one can choose to log out of the internet if need be at any time.

I knew you would eventually self destruct on this thread because from day 1 you are always in a hurry to display the little you know while assuming you know it all. Trust me, it usually happens to people that think and act like you, they end up embarrassing themselves to the extent that they will eventually drop their usernames and choose new usernames.

One more advice, go back to the Vasno abi na Vaseline Nig Ltd you claimed you designed a LifeRay based application for and wrongly and foolishly advised to get oracle database because you heard 20 million and apologize fast for your stupidity and for misleading them.

Maybe they actually decided not to take the nonsense you did for them online to avoid embarrassment, I feel they may have been wondering why you kept placing "Return to Home Page" link on the home page of their website and decided to look for another developer.

So, keep monitoring me to know when I log on and when I log off, it shows you have a lot of time to waste since clients are running away due to your unlimited goofing when it comes to web development.

Enjoy the weekend and get a new surveillance camera to aid your monitoring.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by logica(m): 10:19am On Sep 27, 2008
ha ha ha grin moving on, cool
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by Afam(m): 10:42am On Sep 27, 2008
@forum/thread monitor,

I guess this is the most reasonable post I have read from you on this forum.

NB: I will be going out today to attend to some issues so don't get heart attack when you don't see me online as I don't sit in front of my laptop all day.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by zukkymike(m): 10:45am On Sep 27, 2008
whoa you guys are really great!!! i love this forum, quite educating.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by candylips(m): 11:25pm On Oct 01, 2008
@ logica and afam

No point throwing punches in here. Nobody knows everything we are all learning every day.

Even so called genius have ruined the World's financial markets because they think they are too smart.

It pays to be humble with your knowledge.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by logica(m): 9:21am On Oct 02, 2008
@candylips,

if you r in the know, please read all afam wrote and tell me how much sense he made, especially in the other thread. this has nothing to do with humility, and to be honest i prefer to be arrogant. grin
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by yawatide(f): 12:13pm On Oct 02, 2008
candylips, different topic but IMHO those who ruined the markets didnt do so because they think they r too smart but because of greed.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by Afam(m): 12:28pm On Oct 02, 2008
candylips:

@ logica and afam

No point throwing punches in here. Nobody knows everything we are all learning every day.

Even so called genius have ruined the World's financial markets because they think they are too smart.

It pays to be humble with your knowledge.

I guess this is what you get when you argue with a mad man as people will not know the difference.

I started a thread on the need for more programmers in Nigeria and to demonstrate what people can do with programming I listed a project that took under 4 days to develop which demonstrated the fact that with more and more programmers Nigerians can come up with very useful web applications.

Basically all those that responded to this thread agreed that we really need more programmers until this pig chose to turn the thread into a software solution supremacy contest between a 4 days project and LifeRay he claimed he had used once for a client for a project that never went live.

Logica is dirt any day and criminals like him who will try to show that he knows a lot when in reality he is still struggling with the basics don't deserve any space online.

I have seen clowns like him come and go and the good thing is that he has embarrassed himself enough with his many wrong assertions and claims not to menation his misleading of clients based on half knowledge adding to the frustration of many clients in Nigeria who get to deal with morons all in the name of getting web presence.

Put differently, I cannot be throwing punches with someone that clearly exhibits his lack of understanding on issues here but I will always correct wrong statements or comments that are not only wrong but stupid.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by logica(m): 4:53pm On Oct 02, 2008
@yawa-ti-de

correct! you see the reason he's upset? i didn't agree with his idea and suggestion. what an idiot. even he has agreed that his idea MAY not be sound, so why be upset anyway. even the other assertion that we need more programmers (developers, etc) was shot down. he couldn't proffer a superior or if not superior, slightly intelligent rebuttal rather he resorted to insults. so it's not a matter of being too smart indeed. just greed for acknowledgment and props.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by Afam(m): 6:03pm On Oct 02, 2008
Lies and more lies.

1. Only someone that should have been long aborted would maintain that we do not need more programmers in Nigeria. I do programming work for a lot of web designers who find it difficult to handle projects that require programming at all. I have come into the picture in situations where nothing less than 3 to 5 web developers have handled simple projects that demanded basic programming without any reasonable headway.

2. This thread is not about the state government framework but about the many opportunities that exist in an area where few Nigerians go into.

3. I never get upset when people disagree with me because I get to disagree with a lot of people. I guess the mirror will do some of us real good here because it is common to find people who accuse others of what they are guilty of without realizing it.

4. It is good to know that the logica of a guy has provided enough comments and suggestions to prove that he knows little about what he delves into. Half knowledge is really dangerous. Picking up one or two lines on ebooks will not make up for what one does not know.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by Kaymask(m): 10:09am On Sep 19, 2009
@ yawa-ti-de did u finish 4rm lautech. U sure sound lik one.
Re: Need For More Programmers In Nigeria by McGURU: 2:41am On Sep 21, 2009
This is the reason we lack programmers in Nigeria.
Other folks from other countries are busy putting heads together to create something good.
Here we are talking about money,grammer and nothing new or challenging to encourage would be programmers to join the REAL COMPUTER LITERATES(People who can talk and write to the computer in its tongue)

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Upload String To A Website In Vb.net And Get Response For Processing. / A 400-page Tutorial On How To Build Web Apps With Golang / What Made You Want To Learn Programming? Share Your Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.