Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,268 members, 7,853,324 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 02:21 PM

Mother-in-law Wahalla! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mother-in-law Wahalla! (1448 Views)

Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? / HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW TROUBLING YOUR MARRIAGE! / Mother In-law Snatched My New Born Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mother-in-law Wahalla! by nalijah07(f): 9:04pm On Sep 09, 2008
I'm seeking advice for one of my good friends, so please go easy on us  smiley

She is divorcing her husband after many years of mistreatment on his part. The snag is that the house they own is in his and his mother's name. His mother has never paid a penny towards the mortgage, but is now threatening to not sign off on the sale of the house because she is upset that this woman is divorcing her son. She is using the excuse that she is trying to come up with the money to buy out the daughter-in-law, of her share of the home.

My friend does not want to wait for the family to see if they can come up with the money, because the house has been for sale for over a year and they finally have a solid offer. If they reject the offer and the family can not come up with the money, they will have to start back from square one and possibly wait months before they receive another offer. Meanwhile she is living with this man in near agony.

She told her husband in no uncertain terms, that if his mom does not sign off on the house, she will stop helping him with the mortgage and let the house go into foreclosure, and no one will get a penny. The husband is stuck because he is trying to appease both his family and the wife.

Also, she has began to receive harassing phone calls from her sister-in-law, who has taken it upon herself to do the talking for the mother-in-law.
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by nalijah07(f): 9:06pm On Sep 09, 2008
One of our other friends told her she needs to just walk away in order to get peach of mind, because she has really been through it with the husband for the past two years. She told her that her peace of mind is worth more than money

But her portion of the money is really substantial (75K USD). shocked
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by chika98: 9:08pm On Sep 09, 2008
He (the husband) needs to step up! They are no longer together so there is nothing like trying to make both parties happy. He should know that the real estate market is nothing to write home about now and that he should be happy that he got an offer. He should sell the house quick!
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by nalijah07(f): 9:10pm On Sep 09, 2008
OMG. That is exactly what everyone is saying!!
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by HRhotness(f): 9:12pm On Sep 09, 2008
Not having the house in both her and her husbands name in the first place was  huge mistake. .

Are there children involved? if there r, she needs to make it clear that loosing the house will affect the children. obviously its all up to the husband, he needs to put his foot down and get his mother to sign off on the sale.

your friends shd be fully prepared to walk as the mother-in-laws tactic is to basically hold her to randsom and make her life hell
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by Queenisha: 9:14pm On Sep 09, 2008
This is sad.
I hate divorce,but sometimes it may be the only option before people run out naked in the streets of this America.
It's difficult to see reason with bitter inlaws when divorce is on the table.
let them proceed with the divorce let the judge or jury decide on the property.

But why on earth would a married woman let her home be in her husband and mother in law's name?
Even if she helped to buy it,the title should have been changed a while back.
She may actually lose out entirely if this property was acquired before marriage ,especially if the mortgage is in the mother in law's name
and the son is just an additional.
Your friend may lose out big time.
but I'm not a lawyer.
she needs a good attorney.
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by superstan(m): 9:20pm On Sep 09, 2008
nalijah07:

I'm seeking advice for one of my good friends, so please go easy on us  smiley

She is divorcing her husband after many years of mistreatment on his part. The snag is that the house they own is in his and his mother's name. His mother has never paid a penny towards the mortgage, but is now threatening to not sign off on the sale of the house because she is upset that this woman is divorcing her son. She is using the excuse that she is trying to come up with the money to buy out the daughter-in-law, of her share of the home.

My friend does not want to wait for the family to see if they can come up with the money, because the house has been for sale for over a year and they finally have a solid offer. If they reject the offer and the family can not come up with the money, they will have to start back from square one and possibly wait months before they receive another offer. Meanwhile she is living with this man in near agony.

She told her husband in no uncertain terms, that if his mom does not sign off on the house, she will stop helping him with the mortgage and let the house go into foreclosure, and no one will get a penny. The husband is stuck because he is trying to appease both his family and the wife.

Also, she has began to receive harassing phone calls from her sister-in-law, who has taken it upon herself to do the talking for the mother-in-law.

it's a win-win situation for her.

this is america for crying out loud, not nigeria.

her statement of account will show she is the one paying the mortgage of the house so there's proof.

besides, it does not matter whose name is on the house.

as long as they have cohabitated for more than 6 months, even if they are not married, she is entitled to 50% of the proceeds.

a man can never win with a woman in the usa/uk. the laws are designed to protect women like her.

your friend is very safe.
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by Queenisha: 9:24pm On Sep 09, 2008
HR.hotness:

Not having the house in both her and her husbands name in the first place was  huge mistake. .

Are there children involved? if there r, she needs to make it clear that loosing the house will affect the children. obviously its all up to the husband, he needs to put his foot down and get his mother to sign off on the sale.

your friends should be fully prepared to walk as the mother-in-laws tactic is to basically hold her to randsom and make her life hell

The husband is a generous man if he's willing to sell the house and share the profits if any with the ex-wife.
Most men won't be as magnanimous especially with the reality that if they end up with a short sale i.e sell at a loss, the woman most likely will simply walk away and leave them with the debt involved afterall her name is not on the property and perhaps mortgage.
The man doesn't sound like a monster to me.
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by nalijah07(f): 9:26pm On Sep 09, 2008
She is coming over to read your replies tonight.

@Queenisha - The house was obtained during the marriage, but her credit was no good so they needed the mother.

@hotness - They do have 2 children
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by nalijah07(f): 9:28pm On Sep 09, 2008
@queenisha - no he is not a monster, but i know for a fact that he does not want to sell the house either.

I am wondering if the in-laws are really doing the talking for him He is not the assertive kind.
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by Queenisha: 9:30pm On Sep 09, 2008
superstan:

it's a win-win situation for her.

this is america for crying out loud, not nigeria.

her statement of account will show she is the one paying the mortgage of the house so there's proof.

besides, it does not matter whose name is on the house.

as long as they have cohabitated for more than 6 months, even if they are not married, she is entitled to 50% of the proceeds.

a man can never win with a woman in the usa/uk. the laws are designed to protect women like her.

your friend is very safe.

Don't be too sure my dear.
Laws in the USA differ from state to state.
Some states don't have "common law" protection for co habiters in terms of property and some that do will not include property acquired before the marriage.
But in this case,the people were married.

I say she needs a very good lawyer.

I have a friend also going through a divorce,the man is asking for alimony and is likely to get it because she makes more than him.
Pathetic but true that a Nigerian man would tell the courts that his standard of living will fall because of the divorce and demanding for alimony including a lump sum initial paymet.
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by debosky(m): 9:32pm On Sep 09, 2008
Queenisha:

Some states don't have "common law" protection for co habiters in terms of property and some that do will not include property acquired before the marriage.

I have a friend also going through a divorce,the man is asking for alimony and is likely to get it because she makes more than him.
Pathetic but true that a Nigerian man would tell the courts that his standard of living will fall because of the divorce and demanding for alimony including a lump sum initial paymet.

Osisi money no get sex o, whatever a woman can do, a man can do better grin grin grin

na wetin those maniacal nurse killers suppose do be dat, collect alimony instead of taking one's life. sad
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by debosky(m): 9:38pm On Sep 09, 2008
My advice is, do not move out.

Endure the 'agony' if needed, but don't leave, cos once she does, that severely weakens her claim to the house. Play the waiting game as long as possible, if they want to play hardball, so will you. Remember, both parties will lose if the house goes into foreclosure so threaten him seriously with stopping payments.

You do need to get a good lawyer to prove that you've paid a great deal of income into the house. Since the house was bought after marriage, you theoretically have a right to 50% of whatever portion is deemed your husband's.

The man is a wimp, how can his sister-in-law be threatening the mother of his kids? He needs to grow balls and set his house (or ex-house grin grin) in order.

The marriage has failed, yes, but you need a cordial relationship with the mother of your kids anyways, get this house sold and move on with your lives, waiting further may even scare the buyer off and make the house lose more value.
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by k1banty(m): 9:39pm On Sep 09, 2008
a house for sale
2 children involve
intruding mother in-law (mistake made by buying the house in his and mother's name)
confused husband
frustrated wife

the children will be affected.

where will all this end?

if she want peace in her life, she should just walk away (for a while) or else the problem will be settled in court.

75k USD is tempting but all parties involved won't just let go.
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by Queenisha: 9:39pm On Sep 09, 2008
nalijah07:

@queenisha - no he is not a monster, but i know for a fact that he does not want to sell the house either.

I am wondering if the in-laws are really doing the talking for him He is not the assertive kind.

Let me go offtopic ,permit me
why can't they work on the marriage since it does sound like this man has a good heart.
Divorce is not as easy as it looks until one gets there.
I know
I have divorced friends.
The loneliness they feel is excrutiating
and the next mate may be much worse than what she currently has.
Let them try counselling.
as a friend,advise her so.
For the sake of those kids,they need to do all the can do to make it work.
Children of divorce have an uphill task,life is already hard for kids as it is.
As long as they are both willing,there's no problem in marriage that cannot be solved
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by Hannibal: 9:42pm On Sep 09, 2008
Queenisha:

No wonder more women are migrating to the UK.
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by Queenisha: 9:44pm On Sep 09, 2008
Hannibal:

No wonder more women are migrating to the UK.

to do kwarangida
kwarangida no be marriage na
those of us who made sure he signed on dotted lines are secure.
even his briefcases are in both our names. grin
I'm not the descendants of okirika dealers for nothing grin
Love is good but abeg my name go dey for property.
I no wan carry my load for pillowcase if sometin happen

God forbid
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by chika98: 9:44pm On Sep 09, 2008
Maybe they have tired counseling and it still ain't working. Some people just ain't meant to be. I swear I will never use anyone's credit to purchase anything let alone a house!
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by nalijah07(f): 9:50pm On Sep 09, 2008
queenisha - good point, but she has tried with this man so I have to give her credit.

Between his multiple cheating (also - the family entertains the other woman). and it seems as if the family is always involved in their business (coming to visit unannounced, inviting others over, etc).

They have been together for almost 15 years, and for the last 2 years believe me she has tried.
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by Hannibal: 9:59pm On Sep 09, 2008
Queenisha:

to do kwarangida
kwarangida no be marriage na
those of us who made sure he signed on dotted lines are secure.
even his briefcases are in both our names. grin
I'm not the descendants of okirika dealers for nothing grin
Love is good but abeg my name go dey for property.
I no wan carry my load for pillowcase if sometin happen

God forbid

Kwarangida?? What is the meaning of that??

Signing the dotted lines is no guarantee he won't turn to be a beast anytime he wants to.
There was a colleague of mine who went through HELL in the hands of her Naija husband last year.
She is from Ghana and the husband just realised she wasn't good enough 2 years after their wedding.
All of a sudden, the husband can't stand her. . . .he can't stand her food and he just neglects her sometimes for weeks.
If there's one thing i love about Naija men. . . . .It's their eccentric ways and unpredictable nature.
God bless Naija men. grin
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by chika98: 10:01pm On Sep 09, 2008
ah she needs to run and never look back! Tell her that she should leave. If he doesn't want to step up then she should leave the house for him. I don't know how anyone would be stupid enough to consider not selling their house quick with a solid offer on it. I guess he hasn't gotten the memo yet that freddie mac and fanny mae has been taken over by the federal government.
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by Queenisha: 11:49pm On Sep 09, 2008
chika98:

ah she needs to run and never look back! Tell her that she should leave. If he doesn't want to step up then she should leave the house for him. I don't know how anyone would be stupid enough to consider not selling their house quick with a solid offer on it. I guess he hasn't gotten the memo yet that freddie mac and fanny mae has been taken over by the federal government.

Whenever a marriage sours like this and the individuals are still living in the same house
fear dey catch me.
I no go lie
no do no do, one of them will become dead bodi lipsrsealed
and we know which one
I hope she's not a nurse
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by Queenisha: 11:51pm On Sep 09, 2008
Hannibal:

Kwarangida?? What is the meaning of that??

Signing the dotted lines is no guarantee he won't turn to be a beast anytime he wants to.
There was a colleague of mine who went through HELL in the hands of her Naija husband last year.
She is from Ghana and the husband just realised she wasn't good enough 2 years after their wedding.
All of a sudden, the husband can't stand her. . . .he can't stand her food and he just neglects her sometimes for weeks.
If there's one thing i love about Naija men. . . . .It's their eccentric ways and unpredictable nature.
God bless Naija men. grin

Kwarangida simply means shacking up with a man i.e co-habiting
signing on the dotted line does not guarantee a blissful marriage, true
but it has it's advantages
Men can have serious issues. lipsrsealed
Watch out.
Next thing your friend's husband will declare her a witch and they'll start sprinkling her with pure holy water and wanting to pour groundnut annointing oil into her privates.
God help us.

I heard of a lady who before her divorce resorted to wearing wigs to bed because her husband wanted to cut a piece of her hair and send to "okija".
She had to wear wigs so that he couldn't cut her real hair since the mumu didn't know the difference.
And they say women are not smart cool
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by Hannibal: 11:54pm On Sep 09, 2008
Queenisha:

Kwarangida simply means shacking up with a man i.e co-habiting

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Well, can u blame the men??
Men are reluctant to sign the dotted lines cos of the brood of vipers we have here.
Cohabitation is the way. . . . .Let'z put em on trial till we are totally convinced they are wifey materials. tongue
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by nalijah07(f): 2:09am On Sep 10, 2008
@chika - I would hate to seem him and the mother-in-law run off with her money without a fight. Unless she sues him for child support and alimony, which she was tyring to prevent in the first place.

She is here with me now. she says now that she has thought about it, she will seek legal representation.
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by dyabman(m): 3:02am On Sep 10, 2008
i love this case, contact me at my chamber

Tuesdays - - - 10am - 6pm

Thursdays- - - 8am - 10 pm

sundays- - - 12 pm - 6 pm
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by Queenisha: 3:10am On Sep 10, 2008
you mean contact you at the beer parlour
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 10, 2008
Queenisha:

you mean contact you at the beer parlour

lmao dont mind d guy,him no sabi speak good english sef,him don dey claim lawyer grin grin
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by nalijah07(f): 3:23pm On Sep 10, 2008
she was very pleased with the responses.
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by iice(f): 5:44pm On Sep 10, 2008
Why not in 'their' name? sheessshhh
The man sef undecided
Re: Mother-in-law Wahalla! by dyabman(m): 9:43am On Sep 11, 2008
mesmya:

lmao don't mind d guy,him no sabi speak good english sef,him don dey claim lawyer grin grin

whats wrong with that statement you little poacher!

(1) (Reply)

Looking For Husband? / Good Church And House Boy Or Girl Needed Urgently!!!!!!! / 8 Signs Of Imminent Marriage Break-up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.