Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,060 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

Must We Shout When We Pray? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must We Shout When We Pray? (10079 Views)

Why Do Pastors Shout When Preaching? / How Do We Pray Over Meal: Bless This Food Oh Lord! / Can We Pray Together? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by Sisikill: 11:57pm On Sep 10, 2008
When we pray, the pastors or prayer leaders implore us to “open our mouths and Pray”, they tell us not to be “meek when praying” and remind us that the devil is “seeking to destroy”. To punctuate how serious this is, the pastors quote. . .

Mat 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and men of violence take it by force.

The kingdom of heaven suffereth violence – Guess this means the devil is attacking us, the church anything to do with Christ, violently

The men of violence take it by force – Agents of the devil doing his bidding. . . attacking us violently

Conclusion: Since the devil and his agents are coming at us violently, we ought to respond in a way that shows we won't take their attacks sitting down and he. . . they better watch out.

This is my understanding of the shouting while praying thingy oh. I’m not saying it is what it is.

Personally, I am not a prayer shouting person. . . worse yet, I get easily distracted by prayer shouting people. Often times, I find my self repeating one phrase like “Have Mercy”  or something equally mundane throughout the prayer session and then when it has all died down, I start my own prayer afresh. . . I’m not sure what this says about me, maybe I am not gbimgbim enough in the faith not to be distracted? I don’t know, alls I know is I pray to my God, the way I know how and I am quite happy with the results.
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by manmustwac(m): 1:06am On Sep 11, 2008
@post
why must we shout when we pray? is it because God dosen't answer our prayers? why? well maybe he's deaf too busy, he can't be bothered, or better still he dosen't exist. People shouting while praying is just a sign of the desperate hard times they are going through Praying may make you feel better but it will never solve your problems.
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by mazaje(m): 1:09am On Sep 11, 2008
manmustwac:

@post
why must we shout when we pray? is it because God dosen't answer our prayers? why? well maybe he's deaf too busy, he can't be bothered, or better still he dosen't exist. People shouting while praying is just a sign of the desperate hard times they are going through Praying may make you feel better but it will never solve your problems.

shekenan!
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by rubi(f): 4:02am On Sep 11, 2008
mazaje:

ohh i kind of get where you are driving at. . . personally what i do is apply first aid. . . then call an ambulance if the bleeding persist. . . . . but in places like nigeria where all these things are non exsistent prayer seems sensible. . . . . because that is the only thing they can do in such conditions but that doesnt mean that the prayers work because if it does nigerians wont be where they are today. . . . . .

I apply first aid also call the ambulance too just remember doctors cares but God heals
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by pilgrim1(f): 12:37pm On Sep 11, 2008
manmustwac:

Praying may make you feel better but it will never solve your problems.

Prayer is not designed as a "feel better" idea. It appears that way and is wrongly assumed as such by those who have no clues what it is.
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by Udyro(f): 12:46pm On Sep 11, 2008
It seems some people have deviated from the MAIN THREAD to another thing especially the atheists. If u dont believe in the power of prayer and how it should be carried out, does not mean others dont see the value of it.

TO SHOUT OR NOT TO SHOUT WHILE PRAYING, depends on which God u are praying to:
some god are so deaf that u need to shout before they can hear u.
some are slumpers, so thorough shaking of your head and body will disturb them and wake them up to answer u.
some need to see physical blood from u before attending to u. lol

But as for the Almighty God, the creator of the whole universe, the maker of all living things, the giver of life, who lives in Heaven above, whose name is Jehovah God, u don't need to shout, 'because before u even said out your mind, He knows what u wnt to say, no need to shout to him, but humble yourself and apply what Jesus taught at Matt.6:6-8.
if u like, don't even uttered a word, but silently in your heart, He hears it.

just like u don't shout at your President when talking him, should u shout and command God when requesting favour from him?
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by dudubobo1: 1:57pm On Sep 11, 2008
I dont shout when I pray because I dont feel I have the need to. I have been known to pray loud before but I dont think prayer is about whether or not we shout.

I pray a lot of times while sitting and working without necessarily uttering out my prayers.
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 11, 2008
has paryer ever saved some one that is bleeding to death? why then do we have first aid being thaught in schools if prayers can do the magic?. . . . prayers never solve anything. . . . if it does then no one will die on the nigerian highways. . . . because it is one of highways that sends the highest amount of prayers in the world i believe and yet it is still one of the highways with the highest death occurance and accidents. . . . . if prayers works then nigerians and africans will never be where they are simple. . . . they pray day and night for basic necessities of life yet they still remain poor with out the basic necessities. . . . . . .

He can't even spell prayer correctly? Gosh, Gosh,
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by pilgrim1(f): 4:30pm On Sep 11, 2008
Lol. . . we all make typographical mistakes (I'm guilty of many in recent times). But let's continue to share with these gentlemen with a calmer and more resolved attitude - I have seen people who listen more when we show them love and reason, than when we put them on spot.

Enjoy. wink
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 11, 2008
MANMUSTWAC, you no sabi spell prayer. Na bi because you no believe in prayer, that na why you no sabi spell prayer well. Abeg go pray make God teach you the correct spelling of prayer and make God forgive you say you no believe for prayer. HA

HA

HA
grin cheesy grin
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by ssRhino: 5:41pm On Sep 11, 2008
There is no need shouting while praying, however, there is nothing wrong in shouting as well, cos sometimes, it is a sign of despiration and making our needs known to God.
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by mazaje(m): 5:52pm On Sep 11, 2008
He can't even spell prayer correctly? Gosh, Gosh,

who is this small man? instead of talking about the issue of prayer and its effect you are just running . . . . . . .

the bottom line is this if prayer works nigeria will never be where it is at the moment because Nigeria is the most prayerful nation on earth that i know. . . . . . yet all its prayers have remained unanswered. . . . . . .
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by pilgrim1(f): 6:57pm On Sep 11, 2008
mazaje:

the bottom line is this if prayer works nigeria will never be where it is at the moment because Nigeria is the most prayerful nation on earth that i know. . . . . . yet all its prayers have remained unanswered. . . . . . .

Lol. . . your inferences are wrong, dear mazaje. You seem to be scuttling round the real dynamics of nation developments and narrowing it down to prayer. The political, economic, demographic, philosophical, social and cultural indices are often largely forgotten by people making such an inference. There's only one question here: why is it that people often forget these indices? cheesy
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by manmustwac(m): 6:58pm On Sep 11, 2008
orunta all my spellings are correct you dey confuse me with mazaje
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by pilgrim1(f): 7:00pm On Sep 11, 2008
manmustwac:

orunta all my spellings are correct you dey confuse me with mazaje

Wahala don start to shele again O!. . . make I take a long break until. . . cheesy
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by idupaul: 7:06pm On Sep 11, 2008
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray?

Did Jesus ever shout when He prayed?

this should provide the answer.
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by ssRhino: 7:11pm On Sep 11, 2008
It is not how we pray that matters, but the content of the prayer, also the motives behind the prayers.
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by ssRhino: 7:12pm On Sep 11, 2008
mazaje:

who is this small man? instead of talking about the issue of prayer and its effect you are just running . . . . . . .

Nigeria would have gone worse or better still collapse, but i blv it is the prayer that has held it together.
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by mazaje(m): 7:28pm On Sep 11, 2008
$$Rhino:

Nigeria would have gone worse or better still collapse, but i blv it is the prayer that has held it together.

how. . . . .any way you said you believe . . . that fact that you believe those not mean it is true. . . . vodoo worshippers believe in voodo that does'nt mean that they are right. . . . . .
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by huxley(m): 8:50pm On Sep 11, 2008
Which is quite a sad "study" - because they would have to explain how I've seen positive results in prayers.

Why would this be a sad study? Interesting how you make claims and yet provide little or no substantive evidence as to why it would be "sad".

It is through studies of this type that a great deal of the diseases that afflict us are being tamed. There is no doubt that there is a psychological component to many illness and to this end modern medicine is taking steps to instruct medical practitioners as to how best to deliver care to the sick. Percieved cures from prayers are indistinguishable from such ordinary psychosomatic sures.

And no theist has been a philanthropist, No?

I did nOT said that. Of course human goodness (badness) is NOT a function of whether they believe or not in the existence of gods. I think there is more magnanimity in being good simply out of human goodness. Goodness delivered in the hope of heaven rewards is simply of an inferior nature.
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by TheSly: 8:55pm On Sep 11, 2008
Fellaz of nowadays have upturn the religion from the normal way it was being practiced way back then.
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by pilgrim1(f): 10:04am On Sep 15, 2008
@huxley,

huxley:

Why would this be a sad study?

For the simple reason that it bears very little import on reality. Anyone can claim to have engaged in a "study" and then arrived at very narrow results - and the sad thing is that people who don't know any better are very adept at gullibly promoting such narrow results as the widely accepted norm. This is why I hinted that such inference as you made actually does not tessellate with the fact that there are known cases where prayers and intercessions have actually produced huge results. The one thing people like to do is reject such facts and run to so-called reports of "studies" claiming the opposite.

huxley:

Interesting how you make claims and yet provide little or no substantive evidence as to why it would be "sad".

I just gave an explanation above. As I said earlier on the previous page, statistics do not interest me that much these days especially when people are often polarized to quote them in support of jaundiced opinions.

However, just to appeal to your curiosity for 'substantive evidence' for my opinions, please see the following examples:

[list][list][li]Does God Answer Prayer? Researcher Says 'Yes'
ScienceDaily (Mar. 15, 2007) — Does God or some other type of transcendent entity answer prayer?

The answer, according to a new Arizona State University study published in the March journal Research on Social Work Practice, is "yes." David R. Hodge, an assistant professor of social work in the College of Human Services at Arizona State University, conducted a comprehensive analysis of 17 major studies on the effects of intercessory prayer -- or prayer that is offered for the benefit of another person -- among people with psychological or medical problems. He found a positive effect.
<snip>
"Overall, the meta-analysis indicates that prayer is effective. Is it effective enough to meet the standards of the American Psychological Association's Division 12 for empirically validated interventions? No. Thus, we should not be treating clients suffering with depression, for example, only with prayer. To treat depression, standard treatments, such as cognitive therapy, should be used as the primary method of treatment."
source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070314195638.htm[/li][/list][/list]

----------------------------------------------------------

[list][list][li]Praying Online Helps Cancer Patients, Study Suggests

ScienceDaily (Jan. 4, 2007) — Breast cancer patients who pray in online support groups can obtain mental health benefits, according to a new study conducted by the University of Wisconsin-Madison Center of Excellence in Cancer Communications Research that was funded by the National Cancer Institute.

We know that many cancer patients pray in online support groups to help them cope with their illness. This is the first study we are aware of that examines the psychological effects of this behavior," says Bret Shaw, an associate scientist in UW-Madison's College of Engineering and lead author of the study.
<snip>
The results of the study are published in an advance issue of the journal PsychoOncology.
source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070103201245.htm[/li][/list][/list]

[list][list][li]Spirituality Is Important To Eye Patients, Report Finds

ScienceDaily (Sep. 8, 2008) — Patients visiting an ophthalmologist report that prayer is important to their well-being and that God plays a positive role in illness, according to a new report.
<snip>
This study was supported by a grant from the National Institutes of Health National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (Dr. Magyar-Russell).
source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080908185226.htm[/li][/list][/list]

Like I said, anyone can quote statistics or reports to favour their preconceived notions; but from a subjective and experimental basis, reports that deny the benefits and positive results of prayers and intercessions are simply that: denials. They do not effectively account for other cases were positive results have been established in analytical studies.

huxley:

It is through studies of this type that a great deal of the diseases that afflict us are being tamed. There is no doubt that there is a psychological component to many illness and to this end modern medicine is taking steps to instruct medical practitioners as to how best to deliver care to the sick. Percieved cures from prayers are indistinguishable from such ordinary psychosomatic sures.

The statement that "perceived cures from prayer" are indistinguishable is bland. How do such "studies" account for the researches that prove concretely that prayers are effective?

huxley:

I did nOT said that. Of course human goodness (badness) is NOT a function of whether they believe or not in the existence of gods. I think there is more magnanimity in being good simply out of human goodness. Goodness delivered in the hope of heaven rewards is simply of an inferior nature.

The attitude of rationalists trying to offer statistics about atheists who are philanthropists or have done goodwill is a weathered tool of intelligent argument. This is why it does not come as a surprise that you made the inference above and arrived at the idea therefore that religious convictions are "inferior". It is a simplistic and unrealistic way of understanding the persuasions for theism - and that is why I offered earlier that many people who shlepp on to this weathered idea are still unable to grapple with the real questions of the reality of our human existence and experiences.
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by Kobojunkie: 4:01pm On May 03, 2023
I sometimes get confused about how to pray? some people say you have to shout when praying, while some poeple say you have to meditate, please nairalanders I NEED YOUR VIEWS ON THIS?
Here is a summary of sorts of some of the New Covenant teachings and commandments given by Jesus Christ where prayer is concerned

Ask, Seek, and Knock, in order to receive, find and have the door opened to you Matthew 7 vs 7
Pray continuously. I.e. don't stop asking, seeking, knocking until you have received, found, and had the door opened to you
Matthew 21 vs 22 & Luke 18 vs 1- 8
Avoid vain repetitions because God knows what you want even before you ask Him Matthew 6 vs 7 - 8
Always pray in secret and in hiding Matthew 6 vs 6
Pray the Lord's prayer-Matthew 6 vs 9- 13
Forgive everyone who has hurt or offended you before you pray so your father in Heaven will forgive you your sins- Matthew 11 vs 25 & Matthew 6 vs 12
Always approach God in Humility- Luke 18 vs 9 - 4
Believe that you have received what you ask for and it shall be done for you Matthew 21 vs 22 & Mark 11 vs 24
Ask the Father in the name of Jesus ChristJohn 15 vs 16
If you abide in Him and He, Jesus, abides in you, then He, Jesus Christ, will do whatever you ask in His name John 14 vs 13-14 & john 15 vs 7
Pray for your enemies - Matthew 5 vs 44 & Luke 6 vs 27- 28
Ask God for the Holy Spirit - Luke 11 vs 13 & Matthew 7 vs 11

God does not answer the prayer of sinners, and the prayers of the unrighteous are an abomination to Him. Rather, as Jesus Christ said, those who love Him are, not those who go around mouthing off what they do, but instead, take who submit to and obey His teachings- John 14 vs 23 - 26.. This isn't about attraction at all but instead about the reward of obedience to the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ, the National Constitution in God's special Kingdom of Priests aka the Kingdom of God. undecided
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by Kobojunkiee: 8:07pm On May 04, 2023
manmustwac:
There is no scientific evidence to prove that prayer actually works. So when you shout or speak in tongues its a sign of desperation because your prayers are not working
Are you sure about this? You are told God only answers the prayers of the righteous; The prayers — pleas, petitions, requests, yearnings — of the unrighteous are an abomination to God. The scientific thing to do in that case is to heed the instructions of Jesus Christ which is to seek first the Kingdom of God(holiness) and God's righteousness. Once you become worthy of God's righteousness, then you should be fully capable of testing out whether prayer works or not. Is this how the scientific process works? undecided
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by Tboy222: 9:21pm On May 04, 2023
I sometimes get confused about how to pray? some people say you have to shout when praying, while some poeple say you have to meditate, please nairalanders I NEED YOUR VIEWS ON THIS?

God is not interested in your use of words but in your heart.

Pray as you know best
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by Kobojunkie: 6:56pm On May 06, 2023
idupaul:
■ atleast when u pray u have tried somehow.
Tried what exactly? undecided
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by Kobojunkie: 3:04pm On May 09, 2023
rubi:
■ It depends on your mood and the burden. Even the bible said that Jesus prayed and the sweat that came out from his body was like blood which means the burden is too much for him. Prayers has level when one is praying our lords prayer and when one is interceding for someone that had fatal accident to survive and blood is rushing no one will tell you to change the to be loud or not. In a nut shell it depends on the prayer point.
1. Jesus Christ made clear that those who are His followers are to pray in silence and in hiding where no one can see them. So, your loud prayers violate God's very own commandment making them an abomination to God, don't you see. undecided
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by Kobojunkiee: 9:39pm On May 11, 2023
samcin:
■ the issue is not whether we shout or not, it is all about the way holly spirit is directing us and how we are flowing with him
No one who shouts while praying — being heard or even seen by others while doing so — has the Spirit of Truth aka the Holy Spirit living on the inside of him or her. undecided
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by Kobojunkie: 9:59pm On May 13, 2023
Cristalz:
I agree,it depends on the prayer point and how heavy the burden is. Shouting isn't a mandatory requirement for God to hear one. Guess the 'you must shout' mentality comes from some churches that emphasize shouting during prayer sessions. The leader goes ''Open your mouth and pray.Raise your voice to the heavens,or are you tired?'' This makes people think you have to shout out loud to be heard by the Almighty or that if you don't shout it means you're not serious about your prayer when this is not the case.
Shouting isn't compulsory people.  .  .pray as your heart so desires.He'll hear you whichever way you choose to do it.
But shouting is antichrist as it is against God to let yourself be heard or sin when praying, and so God definitely does not acknowledge even your shouting fests. undecided
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by aswani(m): 2:37am On May 14, 2023
The shouting aspect of prayer is an African Christian thing whose background can be found in African Traditional religion.

You dont need to shout, you don't even bneed to kneel to pray.
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by Kobojunkie: 5:57am On May 20, 2023
samcin:
have you forgotten so soon that for everything that happens to mankind, THERE IS A PURPOSE, and NOBODY can ask GOD Why because he is greater and mightier than anybody, that people die everyday on highways everyday in nigeria or people are poor and all that does not really mean God is not existing or that prayer has no effect, and this is one thing i know for sure that if your ways are right before your creator, he has made everything right for "them that deligently seek him"
Prayer only works for the righteous; it does nothing for you of you choose to remain in unrighteousness. undecided
Re: Must We Shout When We Pray? by Kobojunkie: 1:30am On May 23, 2023
rubi:
■ Believe it or leave it prayer changes things/situation
Prayer does nothing of the such which you claim. Rather it is righteousness that changes everything; outside of it, your prayers, your praises, your works, your offerings... are all an abomination and unacceptable to God. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Today Is Ash Wednesday / Will You Be Ready When The Lord Shall Come? - Olamide Obire / Death To The INFIDELS -Dr. Aderemi Akin [pics]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.