Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,862 members, 7,813,941 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:12 PM

Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? (1777 Views)

Romney, Obama Have Lunch, Agree To ‘stay In Touch.’ Maybe. / Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate / Barack Obama Have Won The 2008 Us Presidential Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by Ndipe(m): 1:24am On Sep 11, 2008
The latest news in the country is that McCain's choice of Palin as his running mate has endeared him to a lot of white female voters over Obama. Infact, the latest poll has Obama and McCain running neck and neck with at least one poll conducted shows McCain ahead of Obama. Prior to his selection of Palin, Obama was leading the race, and now, media pundit are asking if Obama would have been better off picking HRC as his running mate.

Personally, his choice of Biden, I think is a mistake, not politically savvy at all. This is the man, according to media reports who had doubted his capabilities to be the next president of the USA, and now, he is his running mate. Perhaps, he would have been better off with Mrs. Clinton.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by Ndipe(m): 1:52am On Sep 11, 2008
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by blackspade(m): 3:35am On Sep 11, 2008
No, that b***h would try to get him killed so she could get president.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by TPS360: 6:23am On Sep 11, 2008
HILLARY CLINTON WOULD HAVE BEEN A DISASTER PICK, he made the right decision
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by Sagamite(m): 7:46am On Sep 11, 2008
Select Hillary and have two people that can not prove their foreign affairs pedigree when USA's image is at its doldrum internationally, hence one of the main task of the next president is foreign affairs?

Select Hillary and give the Republicans the free realm to use materials of ridicule used by Hillary on Obama and vice versa in campaign adds?

No, it would have not been a smart move to select Hillary as the Republicans would have a field day.

You need a vice president that fills the capability gaps of the president, and better still also demonstrates the major strength your opponent uses in his campaign (i.e. McCain: Long serving senator with old-age wisdom and strong foreign policy capability).
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by RibaduFan(m): 8:10am On Sep 11, 2008
America is definitely not yet ready for a black president and a woman VP. That would have been too much of a shock.

It is like saying an Ibo president with a Yoruba VP in Nigerian.

Has to be one at a time.

The choice of Biden is perfect. The hike in McCain polls is temporary, it is expected after very convention.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by Ibime(m): 8:14am On Sep 11, 2008
Biden is not doing his job properly. Why is Obama taking all the heat over Sarah Palin whilst Biden is hiding somewhere? Clinton would have made a good pick.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by Sagamite(m): 8:32am On Sep 11, 2008
Ibime,

Probably becuase Biden has such a good and strong record and pedigree to the point the Republicans find it hard to fault or attack him.

Surely that must be a good choice.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by Sagamite(m): 12:38pm On Sep 11, 2008
Looking at my vice president selection strategy above, it was probably the same strategy the Republicans used to select Palin.

1) Fills the capability gaps of the president (McCain): Public charisma and speaking.

2) Demonstrates the major strength your opponent uses in his campaign (Obama uses: Change, Electoral precedence and non-Washington/lobbyist alignment): First woman VP that has no links with Washington incumbent powers.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 1:02pm On Sep 11, 2008
VP selection
Joe Biden = A sensible and a better selection
Hillary Clinton = A political and the right selection.

There is a big difference between a better pick and the right pick

Obama is a good man, but not a real politician.
Real politicians do not think about tomorrow; they do what needs to be done to survive today. "Tomorrow is another day".
They do not care about being sensible or being sexy or being handsome; it is a dog eat dog world, it is all about winning.

Obama needs to spend couple of weeks with IBB for some lessons.

Nevertheless, we must keep hope alive!
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by carmelily: 1:02pm On Sep 11, 2008
NO WAY,
NO HOW,
NO HILLARY.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 1:15pm On Sep 11, 2008
It is also important to understand that the republicans have implemented 2 strategies (just like real politicians):
One was designed for Hillary Clinton as the VP, while the other one was also designed for someone else as the VP.

Therefore, it did not matter who was selected; the fact that the Dems had to pick their VP before the Republicans automatically gave the republicans the edge over the Dems.

My questions are:
1. Who made this decision on which party to select the VP first?
2. How come the Dems did their convention before the republican?
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 1:19pm On Sep 11, 2008
It Is Clear That Obama Needs Hillary To Win; Period!

It is clear to all that McCain and the republicans are very bitter and desperate.
And I hate to admit that the game has just started, they are determined to terrify and discourage voters from seeing the light by bashing Obama on a regular.
They are well aware that Obama's style is absolutely incompatible with fighting dirty (Obama has effectively presented himself as the new, clean and civilized way of politics; but I'm not sure if this will work at this point).

This is why I've picked Hillary as his running mate. Obama can not afford to pick another clean gentleman as his VP; they both will be fried dry by the Dirty Republicans.

Hillary has the skill, the stamina and she's also well known as an effective and experienced queen "B" of the democratic party.
She is the best entity to attack McCain's camp effectively, while Obama continues to focus more on constructive policies that will restore things back to normal in United States.

At this point, Obama can not afford to be distracted by the cheap shot being thrown by the republicans, and he can not change his magnificent strategy that he has been using for the past few months.

You can not be a pastor and also be a gang-star rapper all at the same time. You either be a clean and refined politician or you don't. It simply sends wrong messages and turns-off your supporters if you try to mix things up.

As real politicians, the past must be buried; Hillary Clinton should be immediately picked to do what she does best; anything else will be too risky.

Big B1.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-156021.0.html

This topic was posted in July 31, 2008
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by MrCrackles(m): 1:20pm On Sep 11, 2008
Nah, Hilary Clinton is a sell-out!
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 1:25pm On Sep 11, 2008
Nah, Hilary Clinton is a sell-out!

My friend, sometimes you need a "sell-out" on your side to sell all your enemies.

Now it makes sense for Hillary to stay cool and watch the game of politics.
If Obama doesn't win, it would automatically give Hillary a second chance to come back in 4 years to knock down McCain or Palin, which I think is feasible.

Don't you think so?
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by MrCrackles(m): 1:29pm On Sep 11, 2008
Big B1:

My friend, sometimes you need a "sell-out" to sell all your enemies.

Now it makes sense for Hillary to stay cool and watch the game of politics.
If Obama doesn't win, it would automatically give Hillary a second chance to come back in 4 years to knock down McCain or Palin, which I think is feasible.

Don't you think so?

but not in the case of Hillary Clinton

shez a sly fox! cheesy
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 1:38pm On Sep 11, 2008
but not in the case of Hillary Clinton

shez a sly fox!

That is the name of politics and the main reason why most reasonable folks stay away from politics.

Sometimes, it is absolutely acceptable and pretty much logical to eat with your worst enemies, as long as these folks can give you the needed edge over your competitor.

This is how it's done and will remain so for many many years to come.

FYI: Palin and McCain obviously do not have chemistry or anything in-common; in fact, there is possibility that they hate each other. But when it comes to winning, real politicians only think about today and not tomorrow or next week or next month. Just Today!
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 1:44pm On Sep 11, 2008
Obama has only made this decision just because of tomorrow!

And it may be a perfect decision, but it is damn too risky.
Believe it or not, real politicians are bunch of cowards; they do not like anything too risky.

Obama is a real entity and not a real politician.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by SegzyJoe(m): 3:33pm On Sep 11, 2008
@Big 1
Fine analysis. (Realist View). But I thought IBB 's name will have no space in a topic like this, yet you still manage to bring in his name. I know IBB is your hero but I think he has read more than his own share of Nicolo Machiavelli's books. I learnt they study Machiavelli's "The Prince" and "The Art of War" for a whole semester in Defence Academy. Good for them but while I will commend Machiavelli as one of the greatest realist political thinker, his philosophy of aquisition,expansion and consolidation of power is not water tight because it also suffers from countervailing variables that define the dynamic of power matric in a political system.

That was the reason IBB was outwitted, out Maneuvered by countervailing forces in the June 12 saga. IBB is a student of Machiavelli's political philosophy, but that philosophy has inherent pitfalls which defines human limit over life's circumstances. It is at best selfish, ruthless and aimed at personal survival of a few power monger. That was why IBB was forced to step aside.

Am aware you have campaign vigorously for him on this forum as the man that know it all and can fix the problem, unfortunately with life you don't always win or undo what you have done. Don't be suprise , IBB may spend the rest of his life wishing he had ruled Nigeria differently when he had the opportunity.

Nevertheless, I concurred with your analysis about Obama/Clinton Ticket, but let's hope that the good guy will convince the skeptical American public.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by Sagamite(m): 4:29pm On Sep 11, 2008
Big B1:

VP selection
Joe Biden = A sensible and a better selection
Hillary Clinton = A political and the right selection.

There is a big difference between a better pick and the right pick

Obama is a good man, but not a real politician.
Real politicians do not think about tomorrow; they do what needs to be done to survive today. "Tomorrow is another day".
They do not care about being sensible or being sexy or being handsome; it is a dog eat dog world, it is all about winning.

Obama needs to spend couple of weeks with IBB for some lessons.

Nevertheless, we must keep hope alive!

It seems you are more accustomed to Nigerian politicians.

Believe me, in a lot of countries, real politicians have a plan for tomorrow and use it in their campaigns.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by Uche2nna(m): 4:35pm On Sep 11, 2008
Sagamite:

Believe me, in a lot of countries, real politicians have a plan for tomorrow and use it in their campaigns.

cheesy
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by cre8tivity(f): 4:39pm On Sep 11, 2008
@Big 1
Fine analysis. (Realist View). But I thought IBB 's name will have no space in a topic like this, yet you still manage to bring in his name. I know IBB is your hero but I think he has read more than his own share of Nicolo Machiavelli's books. I learnt they study Machiavelli's "The Prince" and "The Art of War" for a whole semester in Defence Academy. Good for them but while I will commend Machiavelli as one of the greatest realist political thinker, his philosophy of aquisition,expansion and consolidation of power is not water tight because it also suffers from countervailing variables that define the dynamic of power matric in a political system.

That was the reason IBB was outwitted, out Maneuvered by countervailing forces in the June 12 saga. IBB is a student of Machiavelli's political philosophy, but that philosophy has inherent pitfalls which defines human limit over life's circumstances. It is at best selfish, ruthless and aimed at personal survival of a few power monger. That was why IBB was forced to step aside.

Am aware you have campaign vigorously for him on this forum as the man that know it all and can fix the problem, unfortunately with life you don't always win or undo what you have done. Don't be suprise , IBB may spend the rest of his life wishing he had ruled Nigeria differently when he had the opportunity.

Nevertheless, I concurred with your analysis about Obama/Clinton Ticket, but let's hope that the good guy will convince the skeptical American public.

you have a very gd point. i also think minus ibbness, big b is ok.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 4:44pm On Sep 11, 2008

Obviously, you did not catch the gist, but it's OK; you're still a good man.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by cre8tivity(f): 4:47pm On Sep 11, 2008

what about the mind of the real politicians (the one you or me can not see)?
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by cre8tivity(f): 4:48pm On Sep 11, 2008
anyway, i just wish that the right man wins
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On Sep 11, 2008
Sagamite:

thank yoU!!!
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 4:49pm On Sep 11, 2008
you have a very gd point. i also think minus ibbness, big b is ok.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Sep 11, 2008
cre8tivity:

anyway, i just wish that the right man wins

Have you ever been able to correctly read anyone’s thoughts? Why busy yourself with such?
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by cre8tivity(f): 4:52pm On Sep 11, 2008
real politicians have a plan for tomorrow and use it in their campaigns.
yes, they do. but you are referring to something totally different.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 5:10pm On Sep 11, 2008
It is also very important not to take anything away from Joe Biden. He's an incredible man/ candidate and could absolutely get the job done.
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by TayoD1(m): 7:06pm On Sep 11, 2008
@topic,

This is a very interesting one. Let's hear what Biden has to say and consider what Obama may be thinking right now.

1. Before being co-opted unto the ticket, Biden claims Obama is not ready to be President. According to him, the presidency does not lend itself to on-the-job training.

2. Biden reiterated statement 1 above when asked about it at a later date.

3. Just yesterday, Biden said Clinton was as much qualified to be the Presidential candidate or the VP candidate of the DNC.

4. Just seconds after saying 3 above, Biden declares Hillary would have being a better choice than himself.

5. I can imagine Obama kicking himself for choosing someone who continually questions his judgement.

Considering the above, I wonder if the title of the thread "Sarah Palin is a Mistake" shouldn't be changed to "Joe Biden is a Tragic Mistake."
Re: Should Obama Have Picked Hillary Clinton Over Biden As His Running Mate? by Kobojunkie: 7:12pm On Sep 11, 2008
Tayo-D:

@topic,

This is a very interesting one. Let's hear what Biden has to say and consider what Obama may be thinking right now.

1. Before being co-opted unto the ticket, Biden claims Obama is not ready to be President. According to him, the presidency does not lend itself to on-the-job training.

2. Biden reiterated statement 1 above when asked about it at a later date.

3. Just yesterday, Biden said Clinton was as much qualified to be the Presidential candidate or the VP candidate of the DNC.

4. Just seconds after saying 3 above, Biden declares Hillary would have being a better choice than himself.

5. I can imagine Obama kicking himself for choosing someone who continually questions his judgement.

Considering the above, I wonder if the title of the thread "Sarah Palin is a Mistake" shouldn't be changed to "Joe Biden is a Tragic Mistake."

YIKES~!!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Suicide Bomber Hits Somali Graduation, 22 Dead / Woman Who Predicted The Fall Of The Twin Towers Has Bad News For 2016 / 15 Unknown Facts About Russian President - Vladimir Putin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.