Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,429 members, 7,954,674 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:50 AM

Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official (1164 Views)

Court Summons Solomon Arase For Contempt, Says Not Above The Law / Warrant Of Arrest: IGP Should Be Sacked And Charged For Contempt Of Court / GLORIA OKON, The Story Of Nigeria’s Most Mysterious Drug Pusher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by norsman(m): 7:03pm On Sep 16, 2008
An Islamic Sharia court in Nigeria has ordered the detention of the country's most married man for contempt after he failed to follow a court order to divorce all but four of his 86 wives, a court official said Tuesday.

Muhammadu Bello Masaba, 84, appeared before a Sharia court in central Nigeria's Niger state on Monday after his arrest by the police in his home town Bidda, court clerk Usman Egiworo told AFP.

"He was arraigned in the afternoon and charged with incendiary contempt of religious laws and contracting unlawful marriage to 86 wives contrary to sections , of the sharia penal code," Egiworo said.

Masaba pleaded innocent to the charges insisting "he never contracted any unlawful marriage". Islamic law allows men to marry up to four wives.

Judge Abdulkadir Imam ordered that he be remanded in prison until October 6 when the prosecution is expected to present its evidence against him, the court clerk said.

Egiworo said the court refused oral bail application from Masaba's lawyer Shehu Jibrin who argued that locking away the polygamist would leave his 170 children with no-one to fend for them.

Masaba came to the limelight two months ago when he admitted to having 86 wives in media.

The revelation attracted sharp criticism and indignation from Islamic clerics with the Jama'atu Nasril Islam (JNI), the Nigerian Muslim umbrella body slamming a fatwa or death sentence on Masaba.

Two weeks ago, Masaba agreed to divorce 82 of the wives and keep four, following an ultimatum issued by the influential traditional chief of his home town Bidda to either get rid of his excess wives or quit the town.

Since the return of Nigeria to civil rule in 1999 a dozen predominantly Muslim states in the north have re-introduced a version of the Islamic Sharia legal system.
Re: Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by doe82: 12:43pm On Sep 17, 2008
na wao
what a loving"huzzy"
Re: Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by Queenisha: 5:14pm On Sep 17, 2008
They should leave this old man alone jo.
Are the woman not adults?
Re: Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 17, 2008
This one na just because the man no sabi his right

Sharia court no get right to arrest the man according to the law, him dey free to opt out of sharia system of government.
Re: Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by MrCrackles(m): 5:25pm On Sep 17, 2008
Queenisha:

They should leave this old man alone jo.
Are the woman not adults?

i wonder why them dey stress the old man life!
Re: Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by doe82: 6:13pm On Sep 17, 2008
mikeansy:

him dey free to opt out of sharia system of government.

Mayb the man should be born again
Re: Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by Queenisha: 6:20pm On Sep 17, 2008
mikeansy:

This one na just because the man no sabi his right

Sharia court no get right to arrest the man according to the law, him dey free to opt out of sharia system of government.

Really?
what is he waiting for then?
he should tell them to take their shariah and shove it down their wetin call
Re: Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by QuotaSyste(m): 7:24pm On Sep 17, 2008
Can tpia and other northerners please come into this thread and let us know why they should use sharia law in a secular state as nigeria to arrest anyone. Tpia, havent you seen this thread?
Re: Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by tpia: 7:29pm On Sep 17, 2008
Re: Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by QuotaSyste(m): 7:43pm On Sep 17, 2008
tpia:

no, dumbo, I have not seen this thread.

What don't you understand and need me to explain to you?

If you flunked elementary school then is nairaland the place to get your diploma? Why not ask the closest five year old in your vicinity, to teach you?
Yes, illiterate slowpoke, i know you will claim not to have seen this thread. Your response is a clue as to why your reliance in islamic education made you to fail your common entrance exam. Ewu JSS 1 drop out. Why can't you simply read and answer my question? You sharia infested brain and mind, is nigeria a religious state? Why use sharia law to judge anyone in nigeria?
Re: Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by tpia: 7:53pm On Sep 17, 2008
Re: Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by Queenisha: 7:55pm On Sep 17, 2008
chineke God.
I'm on another thread trying to cast out demons from a brazilian street walker and you people are here duking it out
chei this place dey o
Re: Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by QuotaSyste(m): 10:03pm On Sep 17, 2008
tpia:

I said I havent seen the thread, goat. What do you want me to explain to you?

I'm not a miracle worker abeg. I can't wring water from a stone and neither can I fix your retarded brain which resists every attempt at enlightenment.

biko, go swing from tree.
Nama awusa. Mooooouuuuhhhhh. By their posts/comments, we shall decipher them.
Re: Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by favcom(m): 1:02pm On Sep 18, 2008
WTF is going on here shocked shocked shocked
There's an issue on ground, and people are here lashing at each other
What won't one see in this forum
Re: Nigeria's Most Married Man Arrested For Contempt: Court Official by tpia: 1:42pm On Sep 18, 2008

(1) (Reply)

Illiteracy On Nairaland. / Pressure On Yar’adua To Appoint New Ig From The North / Ghana, 4 other african countries invited to G8; Nigeria Snubbed Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.