Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? (3224 Views)

Who Is Your Favourite Nigerian Ceo In The Entertainment Industry / How To Make Money From The Entertainment Industry / The Nigerian Entertainment Industry Is Taking A New Turn With The Emergence Of R (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by Seun(m): 3:43pm On Jul 07, 2006
Why is the entertainment business is not a conventional one?

- Genevieve Nnaji, barely a millionaire in naira, can pull a bigger crowd than the world's richest man.

- People who design and manufacture sophisticated digital cameras, mobile phones and computers don't insist on writing their names on the products, but a movie must include the names of the hundreds of people who assisted.

- When you buy a software CD-ROM, you don't care about the lead programmer, but when you buy a Music CD, your primary concern is the name of the lead singer.

- Most employees work for salary just to make a living, but entertainers are expected to be stinkingly rich.

- The entertainment industry deliberately creates celebrities, and then has to pay a fortune to maintain them.

- The industry uses trial and error insead of scientific or statistical methods to analyse the market.

Why can't the entertainment be like any other business?

- Why can't entertainers be paid on a salary basis so they can enjoy stability and be replaced easily?

- Why can't the music and movie industries use generic brands like "Solid Music (TM)" instead of celebrity-based brands like "2face Idibia" to sell music and movies?

- Why can't the entertainment companies completely own the work they pay people to produce? (no "credits"wink

Well if I am going into this industry, I will treat it like any other business.
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by edge(m): 4:08pm On Jul 07, 2006
the entertainment industry is different because,it primarily apeals to the emotion.
any thinbg that feeds the human emotion thrives.why do you think most musicians display nude girls in their videos?
its simple, they work with the principlew of association, if a thing is associated with another thing if you see one you expect the other.that is why almost everything in the entertainment industry is described as sexy.

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by dipotepede(m): 5:36pm On Jul 07, 2006
Hi Seun,

About 80% of the world lives on falsehood so you give it to them. Changing the standards, will be a hard thing to knock, but if you can I will advise you to research the industry conscientiously.

Entertainment thrives on creativity which peaks easily except with a constant embrace of the spirit realm. What can I say, you want to change social-economic industry of the world, go for it. Never say never,
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by Oracle(m): 10:59pm On Jul 07, 2006
Itz the fame
an entertainer is famous, No matter the kind of entertainer you are.
You have what pple like
so uv got fame, money and evry other thing
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by Seun(m): 10:49pm On Jul 08, 2006
When a politician asks his team to prepare a campaign speech for him, he doesn't have to say at the end "this speech was prepared by Miss Kowolowora and Mr. Audu and, "

When corporate executive asks her secretary to prepare a letter for her, he doesn't have to list "credits" at the back.

Yet when you write a novel, you must thank your editor, publisher, friends, family and cats in the preface. In a movie, the names of the hundreds of people with minor contributions must be listed in the credits.

I mean, it's so funny to me. Why doesn't the idea of work for hire apply in the entertainment industry? You prepare a work for me, I pay you, and we shake hands. Or I pay you a good salary, and my company owns all your work!
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by labiran(m): 11:33pm On Jul 08, 2006
traditional music needs to come back into the mainstream.
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by Seun(m): 12:26am On Jul 09, 2006
edge made a most insighful statement, which I agree with a bit:
the entertainment industry is different because it primarily apeals to the emotion.

I guess what's happening is that since there is little substance in entertainment, and people don't really need it like they need food, the entertainment industry needs to use gimmicks to sell their products.

I mean I love Indomie but it has never crossed my mind to ask for the authograph of the person who formulated it. So why do people want J K Rowlings' authographs?
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by grafikdon: 11:43am On Jul 09, 2006
Seun, there is no need to wonder why the entertainment industry works differntly. Why do you think it is called 'entertainment'. Diversity fosters development inwardly and outwardly. The entertainer go the extra lenght to provide entertainment and relief to the public, it is not a requirement neither is it essential but yet, they delve in and give it their best shot. That is the uniqueness of entertainment industry. It has been like that from the days of our ancestors. the great wrestlers were held with honor while the best female dancers were treated like diamond.

You said entertainment if insignificant, while I agree with you that it is not an essential component like food and water, it serves a great deal of purpose as long as human existence is concerened. You probably closed your mind to the benefits of the entertainment industry or rather you focused only on the demerits (don't forget there is always a down side to EVERYTHING). The entertainers are unique in the sense that they bring together people from all races and creed, their works transcend tribal and racial indifferences, I can go on forever. Why would I need the authograph of the chief press secretary? They are doing exactly what they are paid to do, work for hire you said.

I have noticed you do have a slight problem with entertainers 'cause you always call them 'mere' actors. They are as important as your doctor, rocket scientist and lecturer whether you believe it or not. One point of correction, I think you should do a thorough research because Genevieve is not 'a mere millionaire in Naira', she is a multiple octupulate, quadrupulate whatevapule naira millionaire, you probably meant to type US Dollars.

The entertainment industry is here to stay and there is no point trying to change this unique industry, you will have better luck making an elephant fly.
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by grafikdon: 11:50am On Jul 09, 2006
Seun:

edge

I mean I love Indomie but it has never crossed my mind to ask for the authograph of the person who formulated it.

Once you eat indomie that's it you don't see it on your bookshelf, well the next thing is you poop but nobody looks at their poop and says ''Wow, this is a work of art!". These things you are citing are not remotely similar.

Seun:

edge

So why do people want J K Rowlings' authographs?
JK Rowlings came up with the idea and put her imagination to paper.
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by Seun(m): 12:54pm On Jul 09, 2006
JK Rowlings came up with the idea and put her imagination to paper.
What about the person that 'came up with the idea' for Indomie? Why am I not worshipping him/her?

nobody looks at their poop and says ''Wow, this is a work of art!"
When I put Indomie in my mouth I think, "wow, what a delicious experience!", so why don't I care about the creator?
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by grafikdon: 1:48pm On Jul 09, 2006
Seun:

What about the person that 'came up with the idea' for Indomie? Why am I not worshipping him/her?
When I put Indomie in my mouth I think, "wow, what a delicious experience!", so why don't I care about the creator?

grin

You do care about the creator, haven't often said or thought "damn whoever came up with this stuff, this ish rocks Itell ya!" Okay , I think the indomie inventor is happy with the ''Wow, this food rocks!'' from all the indomie eaters across Naija. You give him/her honour with each mouthful of indomie, now that's hot. Don't you think so? I am pretty sure you'd like him/her so sign empty bags of indomie whenever you meet him/her and he/she will be glad to honour the greatest eater. wink
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by Seun(m): 2:00am On Jul 10, 2006
But really, why should we care who created Harry Potter? Why should we care about Britney Spears' baby care? Why are we worried about celebrity relationships? Why do we love actors - they don't even write their own fake lines!

Why did the creators of the animated movie Toy Story feel the need to spend a lot of money so Tom Hanks can play Woody's voice? It's an animation, for goodness' sake, why should I care whose voice is behind the animated toy? I mean, we wouldn''t even know it's Tom Hanks if they don't tell us! And they paid a premium for that!

----

If I'm going into this industry, I will employ people, pay them stable wages, and develop a process by which these employees I have - and independent contractors who work for hire - will be able to consistently release well-selling entertainment products month after month. This is not reform, this is competition.

There will be nothing like "one hit wonder" in my company, because every hit will be analysed to discover the elements responsible for its success and we will make sure those elements are present in subsequent products. At every stage of production, we will be in touch with customers, asking them what they want, collecting feedback. Being real.

Music today consists of meaningless words jumbled together to make music so the "artists" can "shake their booty" in the music video. Even if you listen to "soul" or "country", it's the same junk. Why can't music be meaningful?

Movies today are all about special effects and how many stars you have on your set, box office performance. The same company that releases a blockbuster this month will release a Gigli next month. The same actor that won an Oscar in one movie will be in Catwoman the next. Why are they just relying on luck, sex appeal, and heavy marketing? And why must every actor be a star under pressure of celebrity for the movies to sell?
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by tonn(m): 1:41pm On Jul 10, 2006
Seun, its been well said. Music for instance appeals to the soul. Right now am listening to one of the biggest reggae artists ever, and for years now his songs ve not faded into oblivion because its still relevant even in the present day, and i bet he still collects royalties on his past works. People will dole out money just to satisfy the need of the soul, and these needs are what these "artistes" satisfy.

Works of art span their relevance all through eternity, and that is why they are loved and paid handsomely,because what they do goes beyond just satisfying the immediate need. it makes great impact across every race and tribe, and I can tell you that most are often not limited by time. This is why big artistes are often called for campaigne purposes. Recently in South Africa, there was a campaigne against HIV/AIDS, and very big artistes were called to perform. It was a huge success because people came out in mass. If the inventor of Indomie or cocacola had been there, people wouldnt have come out the way they did.

So its just a matter of appealing the soul.
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by diyobdw(f): 7:42am On Jul 11, 2006
@ tonn
Well said bro

but fun enough why is The Entertainment Industry So Different really?
[center]Weird stuff do happen[/center]
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by Seun(m): 5:40pm On Jul 18, 2006
Hollywood movie studios are cutting their budget by paying the star actors less.

They have noticed that the blockbusters of this year were not celebrity driven.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article1180235.ece
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by LoverBwoy(m): 11:59pm On Jul 18, 2006
I guess what's happening is that since there is little substance in entertainment

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by Seun(m): 4:46pm On Jul 19, 2006
Watch any music video on MTV and you'll understand what I mean.

One recent top song goes like this: "Dont cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me?". Is that substance?
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by LoverBwoy(m): 5:20pm On Jul 19, 2006
im sure that same song made millions across the globe shake their booty n even smiled!! grin

what will the world be like if everybody is solving algebra 24/7?

the entertainment industry is exactly what it is Different!
don't know why but it has something to do with imagination n emotions its part of communication which is also essential to humans

what would u say about people like Bob marley,Fela,luther vandross,Tchaichovsky**,mozart and co
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by kellorah: 10:46pm On Jan 25, 2007
lol Seun, you don't like the video?? cheesy

Nigerian entertainment industry is in need of a makeover! angry
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by kellorah: 5:10pm On Jan 27, 2007
both!
u could handle 'em, part-time this, part-time that.
that way, u make money from both ends! wink
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by Seun(m): 7:22pm On Jan 28, 2007
kellorah's advice is spot-on. Pursue computing as your day job and writing in the evenings and weekends.
Re: Why Is The Entertainment Industry So Different? by Rlst84sale(m): 9:36pm On Apr 11, 2007
Seun,

That's what we call innovation in business here in the States especially, that's why America is different from any other place in the world. Most systems in Naija are so traditionalized that it will take combined efforts of radicals to change a lot of things. Is it the class system you want to mention or that who know who or Mr/Mrs older guy must talk first even if what they are saying is not making any sense let alone the tribal boundary. You guys won't believe that I went to a bank in Lagos for business and the security guy at the door won't let me in because I was wearing jogging pants and T-shirt with a  base ball cap, while I could pay his salary so many times over. That's Naija for you man, that's why this younger generation of ours must change things in order for Naija not be left behind.  This is what is currently taking place here in the States in this new millennium in many industries and in some other countries as well.  Naija, please let there be change and we need it quick.

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Money With Pay-to-click Ad Networks / How To Get An OPAY POS Instantly (nationwide Delivery) / Naira Devaluation As Of Today (thread)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.