Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night (3116 Views)

Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It / Please Analyse The Poetry With Their Literary Qualities / Please Analyse This. . . Part 1. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 3:05pm On Sep 25, 2008
Now I have done a bit of amateur writing over the past year and I am thinking of taking it to the next level by compiling my stuff into a collection, cleaning it up and trying to get an agent. As is usual with these things, I have given a few of my stories to friends and colleagues to read and I would like to have the opinion of people who do not know me. So, I am pasting an excerpt of one of my stories which was published on Author-Me. [I must warn however, that the excerpt is not the beginning of the story].

[center]EXCERPT FROM     Silent Night, Bloody Night - [/center]

I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow and started dreaming of the masquerade festival. In my dream, the masquerades came out flamboyantly dressed, dancing through the square and weaving through the crowd of people who had gone to partake in the celebrations. There were drummers who dexterously beat their drums producing rhythms which were simply ethereal. Enthralled, my cousins and I were dancing in tune to the beat, and the drummers, spurred on by our enthusiastic dance, beat their drums faster and faster. I loved it and started dancing like someone possessed. By this time, I was in the middle of the square and people had formed a ring around me, cheering me on and chanting in tune to the beats. The masquerades joined me and we gyrated in unison. This continued for a while until one of the drummers started to beat his drum out of sync. Frowning, I stopped dancing to rebuke him, but he continued banging on his drum unperturbed. The other drummers stopped beating their drums as the banging from the errant drummer grew louder and louder until the square and indeed the ground reverberated with the force of his banging.

I jerked out of my bed startled. The banging was not coming from the drummer in my dream. It was real. I hastened out of bed, put my house coat over my nightie and ran out of my room to the landing where I met Dad and Osagie. Mum was standing in the doorway of her room, her eyes wide with fear.

Dad whispered that there were armed robbers trying to break into the house. There was a loud racket being made by the robbers. Dad said that he had counted over a dozen robbers who had surrounded the house and he had tried using the telephone to call the police but the telephone line had been disconnected. Iyen and Idehen had joined us on the landing by this time. Dad told all of us to go and hide as he did not know how long it would take for help to come and he did not want any harm to come to his family.

Before we could spring to action, the house gave a shudder as the front door collapsed under the barrage it had been subjected to. In poured a gang of men who were heavily armed with guns, cutlasses and machetes. They looked extremely organised, as I saw them fan out in different directions. I managed to count seven of them from my position at the top of the stairs and I beat a hasty retreat to my room, locked the door and hid under my bed. Apparently everyone else had locked their bedroom door because I heard simultaneous banging on the doors to all the bedrooms upstairs.

To Read The Full Story, Click HERE

If you do get to read the whole story, kindly provide some feedback. Be as brutal as you want. My ego can take harsh criticisms. All I will ask is don't say things like "it's awful", "it totally sucks" etc, without telling me why you think so. Don't get me wrong, I don't need you to tell me what to do to repair the story or make it better (you can if you want to and I will take all constructive criticism/advice on board), what I principally need from you guys is if you think it does not cut the mustard, tell me why you think so.

Thanks for reading this far and for all anticipated critiques.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by blissfullynaughty: 6:27pm On Sep 26, 2008
WOW! Jeez man, that is some warped stuff you have there. It is quite long though and it took a whole while for me to get through it. I did not see the sick angle coming at all. It's either you have a sick imagination or Nigeria is one crazy sick violent country. I did feel some pity for the girl.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 10:32pm On Sep 27, 2008
blissfullynaughty:

WOW! Jeez man, that is some warped stuff you have there. It is quite long though and it took a whole while for me to get through it. I did not see the sick angle coming at all. It's either you have a sick imagination or Nigeria is one crazy sick violent country. I did feel some pity for the girl.

Thanks for reading. A writer has to have an active imagination to write stories.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by iice(f): 7:53am On Sep 28, 2008
I think the idea is good, i don't know if its me but i think it needs reshaping.
For the first few paragraphs i wasn't getting much of a 'feel' of the story.
Not enough hatred, bitterness and angst too i think.

Just my opinion ooo
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 8:14pm On Sep 29, 2008
iice:

I think the idea is good, i don't know if its me but i think it needs reshaping.
For the first few paragraphs i wasn't getting much of a 'feel' of the story.
Not enough hatred, bitterness and angst too i think.

Just my opinion ooo

Hey Iice, Thanks for reading.  I know what you mean about the beginning dragging a bit. I am trying to work on it believe me. When you say not enough hatred, bitterness and angst, do you mean on the girl's part? If yes, I was striving for resignation, desolation etc. . . that sort of thing. But I will take another look at the overall effect. Thanks again.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by Sisikill: 2:06am On Sep 30, 2008
WOW!!! That was SICK and very DARING! I applaud you! Not many people will allow themselves go there.

Personally, I felt not getting a sense of the girl in the beginning was a good thing. After that kind of ordeal, it is only logical that the victim feels a little misplaced, there but not there kinda thing. I also like the fact it was relief not sadness I felt for her at the end.

Finally, the matter of fact what you related the story was what made it. You weren't overly emotional about it. . . the experience spoke for itself, you didn't have to write things to tug at the readers heartstrings.

Apart from a minor edits grammer and structure wise, I think it is very good!

Well Done!!!!
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by iice(f): 8:46am On Sep 30, 2008
ayomorocco:

Hey Iice, Thanks for reading.  I know what you mean about the beginning dragging a bit. I am trying to work on it believe me. When you say nor enough hatred, bitterness and angst, do you mean on the girl's part? If yes, I was striving for resignation, desolation etc. . . that sort of thing. But I will take another look at the overall effect. Thanks again.

You are welcome.
Oh hmmm, resignation.  .  .ok, if so then not enough only at the very end do i get that. 
I love the end B.T.W, either that or off a cliff grin sorry, a bit weird here cheesy
Goodluck. 
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 1:41am On Oct 02, 2008
iice:

I love the end B.T.W, either that or off a cliff grin sorry, a bit weird here cheesy
Goodluck.  [/color]

LOL! Thanx.

Sisikill:

WOW!!! That was SICK and very DARING! I applaud you! Not many people will allow themselves go there.

Personally, I felt not getting a sense of the girl in the beginning was a good thing. After that kind of ordeal, it is only logical that the victim feels a little misplaced, there but not there kind of thing. I also like the fact it was relief not sadness I felt for her at the end.

Finally, the matter of fact what you related the story was what made it. You weren't overly emotional about it. . . the experience spoke for itself, you didn't have to write things to tug at the readers heartstrings.

Apart from a minor edits grammer and structure wise, I think it is very good!

Well Done!!!!

Thanks a bunch for your kind words Sisikill. As with most controversial subjects, somebody has to deal with these issues. Like I said, I intend to clean it up (well it and the others I want to compile), but you know what they say. . . drafting/writing is a field in which familiarity breeds satisfaction, so my eyes have stopped picking up even the most obvious of errors because they see what I intended or a perfect page. So can I ask a little favour (Okay a massive favour)? I know you are busy, but would you be so kind as to help me run it over (i.e. do a quick edit). I can provide you with the story in MS Word format. Whatever your response is, thanks anyway.

Thanks to everyone who has read the story. Please keep the comments coming. Much appreciated.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by vini(m): 10:25am On Oct 02, 2008
Great story! Blood spilling grin
i think Hadley Chase has a serious rival in you.
keep it up lady!
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 9:32pm On Oct 02, 2008
vini:

Great story! Blood spilling grin
i think Hadley Chase has a serious rival in you.
keep it up lady!

Muchas Gracias. I am really glad you guys like the story. I did have my doubts. Regarding the Hadley Chase angle, there is just one small problem. I cannot write a good thriller to save my life. But the comparison is beyond flattering and I am on the verge of having visions of a high flying second profession as an author. . . LOL. I have however noticed that writing is no picnic.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by Sisikill: 4:20pm On Oct 04, 2008
ayomorocco:

Thanks a bunch for your kind words Sisikill. As with most controversial subjects, somebody has to Like I said, I intend to clean it up (well it and the others I want to compile), but you know what they say. . . drafting/writing is a field in which familiarity breeds satisfaction, so my eyes have stopped picking up even the most obvious of errors because they see what I intended or a perfect page. So can I ask a little favour (Okay a massive favour)? I know you are busy, but would you be so kind as to help me run it over (i.e. do a quick edit). I can provide you with the story in MS Word format. Whatever your response is, thanks anyway.

Thanks to everyone who has read the story. Please keep the comments coming. Much appreciated.

I'll be honored to! I'm working up something for someone, hope to be done with it in a few days. As soon as I'm done, I'll let you know.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 10:31pm On Oct 04, 2008
Sisikill:

I'll be honored to! I'm working up something for someone, hope to be done with it in a few days. As soon as I'm done, I'll let you know.

Oh! Thank you. I will look out for your message.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by bluespice(f): 9:22am On Oct 07, 2008
wow!
thats all i can say

wow
wow
wow
i love the resignation
i love the distance
this is beautiful
wow
good job man
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 10:30pm On Oct 07, 2008
bluespice:

wow!
thats all i can say

wow
wow
wow
i love the resignation
i love the distance
this is beautiful
wow
good job man

OMG. Thank you so very much. This has made my evening. Thanks for reading. At a point, I feared nobody would read it, so I am really chuffed that you guys like it.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 1:02am On Oct 10, 2008
P.S. For those of you who found the story too gory or sickening and can spare the time, there is a tamer story I had published months ago on "Hackwriters" the University of Portsmouth Journal. It can be found by clicking the following link - http://www.hackwriters.com/AyoMC.htm . I hope you enjoy it.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by Banderas(m): 12:25pm On Oct 10, 2008
Hey man, excellent stuff. I haven't had time to read the entire tale, I'll do so later. For starters, you speak about bar beach. Do realise that majority of your audience haven't been to bar beach. So you need to include a more detailed description of bar beach, not a summary. How about the bar beach, a popular tourist destination in the victoria Island area of lagos.

Also, your dialogue about the different flags didn't quite, work. The information got across, but it took a while to realise that was an explanation and not an experience. Perhaps "A white flag was used to indicate that the sea was calm, " would have been better, since it would have changed the tense of the sentence, indicating to the reader that this was a quick detour from the story itself

mami water who lived in the sea. That's a bit of a tautology there - a repetition. Like saying a car which had four tyres, or a man who walked on his legs. Mermaids always live in the sea. Perhaps you need to indicate that this mermaid lived in the nearby waters of the beach, or something along those lines.

Vortex - Try something simpler - perhaps current? Whirlpool?? Vortex is a bit too complex in my opinion

There are a few more - but most are minor corrections that your agent will always point out anyway if you do get published. I'll make sure I read sometime soon.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 7:20pm On Oct 11, 2008
Banderas:

Hey man, excellent stuff. I haven't had time to read the entire tale, I'll do so later. For starters, you speak about bar beach. Do realise that majority of your audience haven't been to bar beach. So you need to include a more detailed description of bar beach, not a summary. How about the bar beach, a popular tourist destination in the victoria Island area of lagos.

Also, your dialogue about the different flags didn't quite, work. The information got across, but it took a while to realise that was an explanation and not an experience. Perhaps "A white flag was used to indicate that the sea was calm, " would have been better, since it would have changed the tense of the sentence, indicating to the reader that this was a quick detour from the story itself

mami water who lived in the sea. That's a bit of a tautology there - a repetition. Like saying a car which had four tyres, or a man who walked on his legs. Mermaids always live in the sea. Perhaps you need to indicate that this mermaid lived in the nearby waters of the beach, or something along those lines.

Vortex - Try something simpler - perhaps current? Whirlpool?? Vortex is a bit too complex in my opinion

There are a few more - but most are minor corrections that your agent will always point out anyway if you do get published. I'll make sure I read sometime soon.

Thanks for the observation. Good point you raised regarding the mami water and the sea bit (though in Nigerian folklore, "mami water" also lives in rivers etc.). I however disagree on issue of a more detailed description of Bar Beach particularly beacause the beach itself is not significant to the telling of the story save for the fact that it is where she has come to end it all (it could be any beach anywhere in the world). What I thought necessary to put in the story was an explanation of the flagging system because not many people are familiar with the concept, but I do recall that the first friend I gave the story to read told me to totally expunge the flag business. I shall try to revise it.

Thanks a lot for taking a look at the story.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by zukkie4eva(f): 10:35am On Oct 13, 2008
Good one Ayo, good one. The story seemed very real and i could imagine the pain & horror Ameze felt. This world is evil!, u can never please people, imagine the same people her father helped turned against them. Amaeze's mother's curse would surely prevail in their lives!. . . . . now don't get too emotional, it 's just fiction! tongue wink

I love ur writing style. . . .
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by princesa(f): 2:08pm On Oct 13, 2008
i only read the one you posted here and it is good
then moved over to the replies, that i must say wetted my appetite
so am off to read the story
will tell you what i feel when i am back cool
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by princesa(f): 4:26pm On Oct 13, 2008
Too horrible to be criticized, I mean ewww, this doesn’t happen in reality does it
I wish I had never gone to read this horror filled story what an imagination you really have
For me, the story was captivating, tension filled and horrific
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by Nnenna1(f): 5:17pm On Oct 13, 2008
I read something along the lines of this in Hints magazine years ago.

Not to discredit the authenticity of the story, cause it's pretty disgusting. Very good descriptions.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 12:00am On Oct 14, 2008
Nnenna1:

I read something along the lines of this in Hints magazine years ago.

Not to discredit the authenticity of the story, cause it's pretty disgusting. Very good descriptions.

I can assure you that it is my original work. Like most works of fiction, it has its roots on real life occurences. Parts of it is based on a robbery attack made on my home in Lagos almost two decades ago (when I was away in boarding school in Benin-City) where around a dozen armed robbers laid seige on the house and attacked my mother and brother. Though I must add that all the gory bits are pure fiction. I must admit however that the bit of the father and daughter was informed by a discussion I once had with a few of my school mates when I was at university (and we were swapping tales about accidents and robberies) and someone shared this fascinating tale she had read about robbers who for no fathomable reason made a mother sleep with her son and the father his daughter. Like everyone else, I was appalled, but I filed it away for creative use someday.

So, I do not know what you might have read in the Hints magazine you referred to, but I assert my right to be known/acknowledged as owning the copyright in this work (inclusive of sequence of events, dialogue etc.).
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by Nnenna1(f): 12:42am On Oct 14, 2008
I can assure you that it is my original work. Like most works of fiction, it has its roots on real life occurences. Parts of it is based on a robbery attack made on my home in Lagos almost two decades ago (when I was away in boarding school in Benin-City) where around a dozen armed robbers laid seige on the house and attacked my mother and brother. Though I must add that all the gory bits are pure fiction. I must admit however that the bit of the father and daughter was informed by a discussion I once had with a few of my school mates when I was at university (and we were swapping tales about accidents and robberies) and someone shared this fascinating tale she had read about robbers who for no fathomable reason made a mother sleep with her son and the father his daughter. Like everyone else, I was appalled, but I filed it away for creative use someday.

So, I do not know what you might have read in the Hints magazine you referred to, but I assert my right to be known/acknowledged as owning the copyright in this work (inclusive of sequence of events, dialogue etc.).

We're definitely on the same page. Please, don't misconstrue what I stated smiley. The story took me back to my hints/hearts reading days and I thought to mention it as an off-comment.

Funny, the hints story I read was a mother twin boys/father twin girls situation. eek. It was an engrossing read though - you know what they say about two great minds thinking alike wink.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by AR1: 4:11am On Oct 16, 2008
Very well written.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 10:49pm On Oct 16, 2008
zukkie4eva:

Good one Ayo, good one. The story seemed very real and i could imagine the pain & horror Ameze felt. This world is evil!, u can never please people, imagine the same people her father helped turned against them. Amaeze's mother's curse would surely prevail in their lives!. . . . . now don't get too emotional, it 's just fiction! tongue wink

I love ur writing style. . . .

Thank you. Thanks for reading and especially for your high praise. It is very much appreciated.

princesa:

Too horrible to be criticized, I mean ewww, this doesn’t happen in reality does it
I wish I had never gone to read this horror filled story
what an imagination you really have
For me, the story was captivating, tension filled and horrific

LOL. . . I must say that the story is not to everyone's taste. One of my sisters found it too gory and unrelenting, while another liked it. Thanks a lot for taking the time to read it.

@ A.R. if you want to contact me, email me on my id name at hotmail dot com.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by lepashandi: 10:52pm On Oct 16, 2008
@Poster

the time you should spend foking your man, you are using it to write one stupid story.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 11:18pm On Oct 16, 2008
lepashandi:

@Poster

the time you should spend foking your man, you are using it to write one stupid story.

@ lepashandi,

You will do well to crawl back into whatever gutter you crawled out of. I can see that it would be asking too much to expect anything intelligent to emanate from your backward self.

Abeg where is Seun? Please delete the trash this uncouth element has used in defacing my thread.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by inspira(f): 12:46am On Oct 17, 2008
i think you did a pretty good job of rising from d initial point to the "climax" of sorts. anyway,it's a very good piece and u really got my attention while readng d story, wanna read more.
really don't have anything 2 criticise but i think u shld check d development of the story to see that as ur developing d story,the characters are developing as well, .there was a good description of d events but i suggest dat the xter's feelings shldn;t be left 2 much in d backgrd, know what i mean
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 1:39pm On Oct 19, 2008
inspira:

i think you did a pretty good job of rising from d initial point to the "climax" of sorts. anyway,it's a very good piece and u really got my attention while readng d story, want to read more.
really don't have anything 2 criticise but i think u shld check d development of the story to see that as ur developing d story,the characters are developing as well, .there was a good description of d events but i suggest that the xter's feelings shldn;t be left 2 much in d backgrd, know what i mean

I do indeed know what you mean. You made a very valid point. Thank you.

@Sisikill, Abeg no forget about me o. smiley
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by omotofine(f): 7:16pm On Oct 19, 2008
Best story i have read on NL so far. I believe u might do better to expand it into a novel.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 7:41pm On Oct 23, 2008
omotofine:

Best story i have read on NL so far. I believe u might do better to expand it into a novel.

OMG! Thanks a bunch. I am not sure about the novel bit though. I am trying to work on another totally different idea for a novel. I do not know how long that might last though. My attention span is not the greatest. Thanks all the same for the idea. Did I say though that the story has a second part.
Re: Analyse This: . . . Bloody Night by ayomorocco(f): 10:12pm On Nov 04, 2008
@ Sisikill, where should I send the story? If you don't want to post your e-mail address on here, you can e-mail me using my id name at hotmail dot com.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Taming His Desire (Adult Romance) / My Life As A Fresher / My Office Crush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.