Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,420 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Fact About 2007 Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fact About 2007 Presidency (1678 Views)

Ministerial Appointments: No Going Back On Sep 30- Presidency / Presidency Denies Rift Between Buhari, Tinubu / Fact About The Military Presence In Osun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fact About 2007 Presidency by DaHitler(m): 4:44am On Jul 13, 2006
Neither IBB or Buhari is going to be the next President. The supporters of these candidates are lacking in knowledge of Nigerian History. If you remember back in 1979 when Obasonja, the last of the old school Generals, handed over power to a Democratically elected Shagari. It was Buhari and his friend IBB that over-throw Shagari's government.

Now, what is the significance of this? The 1979 transition to democracy was supposed to be Obasonjo's lasting legacy. This man is obsessed with immortality (see: his comment about being ready to die for Nigeria. Die physically, live forever in our minds wink). He was the first African dictator to voluntary hand over power to a democratically elected Government. This action alone would have been enough to secure everlasting admiration from the Nigerian people. But his legacy, final gift to the people, was ruined by Buhari and IBB. Obasonjo hates these people. As far as he and the old school generals are concerned (Gowon and co) the new school generals (Ibb, Abacha and Addulsalami) are degenerates and have single handedly ruined all the good and service they rendered to the State. Remember that old school generals did not steal exorbitant sums from the country. In fact, after 10 years in power, when Gowon was deposed in a coup, he had only 15 thousand pounds to his name. Keep in mind that this was the man that ruled during the oil boom in the early 70s.

My guess is that there would be a crack down on major players in Nigeria. I won't be surprised if a couple of the new school Generals would be dead before the 2007 elections.
Re: Fact About 2007 Presidency by Abeem(m): 7:56am On Jul 16, 2006
@Ayeni,
The arrow head or the mastermind of the December 31, 1983 coup that outsted Shagari's government was late Brigadier Ibrahim Bako, who was felled while trying to effect the arrest of President Shehu Shagari in the then Akinola Aguda villa in Abuja. Major General Buhari only became the consensus candidate for the post of the Head of State after Ibrahim Bako had died.
I have posited in one of my previous postings that OBJ did not have the genuine intentions to hand over to a democractically elected government. He simply did not have a choice because it was one of the reasons for overthrowing the regime of Gowon by the late Brigadier Murtala Ramat Mohammed in July 1975. Also it was the collective resolve of the Supreme Military Council (SMC) the highest ruling council of the military government to pursue the transition to the democratic government to conclusion. OBJ as Head of State (HOS) cannot rescind or renege on the collective decision of the body on his own volition.
If OBJ was a law unto himself when he was HOS as he is today as president, given his absolute control over the resources and security aparatus of the country, are you still in doubt that he would not have loved to elongate his stay as HOS when he was less than 40 years old then. Do you need further evidence that he is not like Mobutu, Museveni, Eyadema, Mugabe and co? The difference is we have committed democrats that helped stop him in the tracks before he could reach the crossing line.
I refuse to buy into the crap that the 1979 transition was supposed to be his lasting legacy. I cannot be fooled. That legacy, if at all he has any, has been destroyed by his inordinate ambition to rule for another 4 years. (Afefe ti fe ati ridi adiye). The wind has blown and the butt of the chicken has been exposed.

(1) (Reply)

A Letter From Prof Pat Utomi / Read Tinubu's Words At The Handover: An Achiever's Speech! / Edo State Begins Staff Audit And Verification Exercise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.