Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,399 members, 7,836,606 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Please Review This Site - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Please Review This Site (1960 Views)

Please Review This New Startup feature : site for creating forms / Please.... Review this site / Help Please: Review This Site Www.queenccollections.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Review This Site by slaiyer: 10:45am On Sep 29, 2008
Well, there is no other i have seen out there, so i want your review on this social network for africa (especially nigeria).

http://www.wathii.com
Re: Please Review This Site by yawatide(f): 12:23pm On Sep 29, 2008
y does it remind me of facebook and on those grounds what will it have that facebook doesn't have? In other words, why should I leave facebook for this site?
Re: Please Review This Site by SamMilla1(m): 4:06pm On Sep 29, 2008
looks like facebook though
@yawa
people dont have to stop creating their things because of facebook
Re: Please Review This Site by yawatide(f): 4:16pm On Sep 29, 2008
sam milla:
No they don't but that doesn't mean they have to make a carbon copy (at least based on the front end as exists currently). Again, I ask, "why should I leave facebook for this site?" Answering this question will go a long way in helping me determine if I will use their site, stick with facebook or use both concurrently.

I think it is a fair question. Please don't read too much into my writings. Interpret them as written and ask where you don't understand cool
Re: Please Review This Site by abhosts(m): 5:00pm On Sep 29, 2008
yawa-ti-de:

Again, I ask, "why should I leave facebook for this site?"

Did you end your membership with other forums before you joined nairaland?

Your reply should be a fair answer to your question.
Re: Please Review This Site by yawatide(f): 6:00pm On Sep 29, 2008
abhosts:
Nice smart answer  grin

I actually am only subscribed to nairaland, as far as forums are concerned - the limited brain cells I have left can only afford to use one forum at a time.  I am likewise only subscribed to facebook, as far as social networks go. I have no intention of leaving the aforementioned sites unless I find something better out there. So far, nothing.

So does that answer my own question? Curious minds are dying to know, Mr. smarty pants cool
Re: Please Review This Site by SamMilla1(m): 7:17pm On Sep 29, 2008
@yawa,
You have the right to stay wherever you wish but that first post you
put there can easily discourage people from registering on that website.
So everybody will have join facebook?
Facebook is owned by a white guy who happens to be
priviledged to live in a country where computer and internet are very common.
We dont have to leave everything for them.

MYSPACE
HI5
FACEBOOK
and the likes, what exactly do you think are differences between them.

firefox
IE
safari

what are their primary functions if not for browsing?
why did giants like google have to come up with the chrome?

Critism is good but you dont over do it and claim that you are always right.
I have been following your comments here and you have never approved any new website here.
Everything has to be exactly the way you expect.
Re: Please Review This Site by yawatide(f): 7:33pm On Sep 29, 2008
You have the right to stay wherever you wish but that first post you
put there can easily discourage people from registering on that website.
So everybody will have join facebook?
Point noted for next time.  And who said, everything has to be my way? wink

Critism is good but you don't over do it and claim that you are always right.

Point of Correction: I have never said I am *always* right.  What I say is based on years of experience.  There is a book I am reading right now, "Don't make me think".  Very good book.  Interestingly, I find that it mirrors my thought process exactly when it comes to web usability.  If you haven't already, get it and read it.  It comes highly recommended, not just by me but by others, many of which are probably better than me.

I have been following your comments here and you have never approved any new website here.
Everything has to be exactly the way you expect.
No offense, but wrong again.  With all due respect, I would be very careful when it comes to painting with broad strokes.  Here are a couple URLs to the contrary:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-171935.0.html
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-167709.0.html

Not to brag/boast but I have been in the game for a long time.  I have accumulated a lot of experience both through self-education and on the job.  I have attended conferences, and have implemented websites that span many genres.  I have also sat in on numerous web usability tests.  When I say something, it isn't based necessarily on personal opinion but expert opinion.  Could those experts be wrong? sure but they didn't come to be respected worldwide for nothing.

If in my criticism, you or others don't find it in yourselves to be better, so be it.  I like challenging people to do and be better.  If some people can't see it that way, too bad.  One thing is for sure though: I won't tolerate what I perceive to be crap just to make someone feel better.  I have received tons of criticism both here and in everyday life.  I may not necessarily like everything I hear but at the end of the day, when I get off my high horse and analyze all that had been said, 90% is the truth.  And I will be the first to admit when I am wrong (as I have in my first paragraph here).

I have challenged many on here who have asked to contact me for my portfolio (both personal and professional. Sorry, but I won't post it here).  All you have to do is email me.  Interestingly, I can count the number of requests that I have received on one hand.  I find that very interesting.

Before settling on NL, I went through at least 10 forums out there, many of which are owned by non-Nigerians. I settled for NL because of the high quality I saw and the chance for me to give back and help my people be better.
Re: Please Review This Site by Neptune(m): 8:37pm On Sep 29, 2008
Honestly, you need to change the look of that site. That's the only thing that could solve all these. Because i don't think anybody that has seen and used (or heard of)facebook would sign up with that site. And i think that's where people r having problems with you. Since the site looks alot like facebook, it'll probably do most of the things that facebook does, the question is, if I'm a member of facebook for example, what would want to bring me to your site? which is why i sudgested looks. atleast if it looks different people might not judge that fast, they'll still want to sign up first.

And please note that all these replys are just comments. Coments that are suppose to help you possitively not discorage you from what you are doing. I f you have a problem with some comments either ignor them or ask them what they would have done different. that way we all benefit from each other. which i think the whole forum thing is all about.

keep up the good work!
Re: Please Review This Site by yawatide(f): 8:56pm On Sep 29, 2008
Since the site looks alot like facebook, ot'll probably do most of the thongs that facebook does, the question is, if I'm a member of facebook for example, what would want to bring me to your site? which is why i sudgested looks. atleast if it looks different people might not judge that fast, they'll still want to sign up first.

@Neptune:
u r indeed a man after my own heart kiss
Re: Please Review This Site by slaiyer: 9:07am On Sep 30, 2008
okay, now let me explain the look, Face book fell onto a nice look that is easy to use for most users, and i can give you examples of things that were also similar, like how the mouse looks, how the keyboard looks or even how the cd player looks, i choose that look because most users found such a look easy, and correct me if i am wrong, dint face book just change its look? into something that i personally find quite confusing, so i decided to take advantage of something they seem to have missed, which is a look that people enjoyed. So, so far, the only thing that we share is the start up page, other than that, nothing is similar.

And why should you join? Other than it being African, i have made it simple, forget al those complicated stuff you find in most social networks now days, i have gone for the most basic use of a social network, that is to connect people, this being African, and give them some platform to communicate after finding each other. Hence the forum, messenger and groups. wink

hope that answer the question that is bugging people the most.
Re: Please Review This Site by yawatide(f): 11:16am On Sep 30, 2008
To me, your 2nd paragraph has answered my question.  Thanks. Also, thanks for being diplomatic in your answer. I hope others learn from it. My intention wasn't to knock your solution but to challenge you to let us know why your solution is unique and you passed that mark with flying colors.

Per CDs, mouses etc looking the same, sure Coke and Pepsi look the same too.  However it is that "sharp" taste of coke that has endeared me to it.  In other words, there has to be that special thing or two that makes you choose a Sony Vaio over an HP laptop.

Thanks,
Re: Please Review This Site by ztyle(m): 3:15pm On Sep 30, 2008
Unable to load fast on slow connection, but i will post my review after viewinq the site!
Re: Please Review This Site by slaiyer: 6:31pm On Sep 30, 2008
haha, very nice use of the coke and pepsi example. So let me explain why i am the pepsi here:

Forum: I have intergrated a forum to allow users to discuss, just like here in nairaland, this way, you get to meet people who share the same views easily, and if you look at other social sites, they lack such a feature, and it necessary since most of the time, people dont find other friends since they dont know how the other person is.

Messenger: Rather than a messenger that keeps reloading when you open another page, i have made the messenger seperate, hence you can chat while view other pages without one interfering with the other.

I will give you more features later, kinda in a hurry right now, ohh, and i will be changing the start up page to something unique.

Hope you guys promote me by joining.
Re: Please Review This Site by mrover(m): 8:35am On Oct 01, 2008
I kinda dig ur idea of an african social network, keep it up!

I chked the site, its ok but u need to rework the startup page, i mean make it a little different from what we are used to on facebook.

Maybe, u shud add those features u mentioned on the startup page; its key, so users can see an immediate reason why they shud use the site plus it wud give u an edge over others.
Re: Please Review This Site by olud64: 9:56am On Oct 01, 2008
I will be very blunt here with you my friend.

I think its a shame that all the skills you may possess have been wasted on producing something that is instantly recognisable as someone elses work! ie facebook.

Without logging into the site, i can see that you certainly have the skills and the ideas. Please move away from creating versions and be creative and original. You set the benchmark for others to follow. You can do it. Pepsi is similar to Coke in a few ways but it is very different in a lot of ways. see what i mean, You can borrow creative ideas but you must always put your own stamp on whatever you come up with!

Keep at it my man, i know you have it in you!!
Re: Please Review This Site by slaiyer: 10:27am On Oct 02, 2008
dear dear, i believe you are wrong, my site resembles no other, if you think i am lying, please look at the site you insist that resembles mine. grin

so please do join. www.wathii.com
Re: Please Review This Site by kehers(m): 11:00am On Oct 02, 2008
As I type this, I must confess im bursting out with laughter at the whole posts. Funny Iv been missing out of the action.
@slaiyer
Forget the whole gists about pepsi, coke, keyboards and mouse. Please redo the frontpage. First impression they say goes a long way and it is d same with sites. Your site may have better features than facebook but no one will know till he registers and signs in. And hey that facbook look does not encourage registering. U really need a front page that is inviting and compelling. One that gives a sharp impression about wat ur site is about (the Share, Speak and plan is not really enough). If u are thinking facebook has it dat way and now has over 100 million users, well remember that is not in Africa where internet is a luxury.
Much said about the look, landers dat mentioned unique features are as well right. I used to be in hi5 before I entered facebk. But for mnths now, I have not been to hi5 despite the numerous invites and notifications I get in my email. Why? coz facebook offers far better every tool for social networking. No, Im not critisizing ur idea. Truly, this days its hard coming up with ideas that someone else have not done. But think of adding more unique features that will want to make users come around other than to facebook. Personally the forum and messenger thing is not enough.
Best of luck
Re: Please Review This Site by yawatide(f): 12:11pm On Oct 02, 2008
SAMMY_MILLA, my maaaaaan !

r u listening cool
Re: Please Review This Site by basking4me: 2:16pm On Oct 02, 2008
smiley, Auntie Yawa, all these Experiences you talk about shocked, does it span the period of the emergence of the Internet. I can tell you authoritatively that we all, including yourself are still learning. How many scripting languages do u know, You cant know more than your teacher . To prove me wrong, NL really would like to see your works.

Sam Milla, You are right about Yawa, she's always in the way. She attacks you hard enough (like kokonut on your head, Gboga!!) then when someone complains, she says she's not critisizing; only giving from her wealth of experience. There are a whole lot of people out there who know these things. Pls dont discourage those of us who dont know,

, Really Yawa, just like Sam, I have noticed your style of criticism, you need to be more constructive and proactive when u do them, Everyone is here to learn a thing or two, not get discouraged. Or are you just trying to live up to your name,

My African Facebook guy, no wahala, keepup the good work, you are better than one who has never tried, I wish you the best, more grease to your elbow.
Re: Please Review This Site by yawatide(f): 2:20pm On Oct 02, 2008
for the umpteenth time, I WILL NOT show my works here.  I didn't come here for publicity but to learn and to teach.  My contact info is in the public domain on this forum.  All you have to do is contact me.  Seek, and ye shall find wink

Criticism is supposed to hurt.  If it doesn't then it doesn't serve its purpose.  If you feel it is bad because it hurts your precious feelings, too bad.  It is the only way you learn.  I expect the best out of people and myself so I always push myself and others I deal with hard.  No need in producing sub-par/half-baked products when I know myself and others are capable of doing more.

Honestly, it beats me that despite my challenge, no more than 5 people have taken me up on it.  It does say a lot, if you ask me.  Una dey fear strong, independent woman? undecided undecided
Re: Please Review This Site by basking4me: 2:29pm On Oct 02, 2008
shocked, infact as independent as Nigeria grin
Re: Please Review This Site by basking4me: 2:45pm On Oct 02, 2008
I cannot but give it to this damsel called Yawatide, she never gets boxed into a corner. it just dont happen.

Since you have refused to show us your works, Can You ask Seun to open a special thread for you to moderate on and see how we can benefit from your wealth of expo. The thread will open us up to how to go about Web solution.

What you know and how you know it is not the same as what I know or how I know it. There are a thousand ways to hang a dog, the end result is what is important. If you wont teach us your ways, then dont critisize our results.

The thread will open us to other web solutions outside development and design (these two alone dont sell an online business).

Yawa, Let us learn from you as we do uspry!!
Re: Please Review This Site by yawatide(f): 2:57pm On Oct 02, 2008
@basking

I find it rather interesting that you say, in effect, that I am selfish when it comes to teaching.  I would strongly advise that you go through my postings, as early as feb/march this year when I joined.  Hint:

1) I have posted a free ebook
2) I have posted numerous threads on web design/development
3) I have posted numerous reviews of various websites

What more am I to do?  Post a youtube video of me walking around naked?  I don tire o!  tongue

p.s. I momentarily logged on to YIM to see who was out there.  one guy immediately logged on saying, "I have an ax to grind with you". Na I'm I answer am, "what ax? y not cutlass?" The bobo no answer me since so I logged off.

As I have said over and over, just contact me privately and I will show you my works, which by the way, is not the same as not teaching you anything.  As I have said above, just do a search here on NL and see what I have contributed to the forum.  I am a slow learner and as a result, when I teach, I overly water it down because I know how it is trying to grab something over and over before you finally get it.  Some people c it as talking down on people. I c it as teaching to a 5-yr old - Some ppl, like me, can only learn like a baby. But once ppl like us get it, watch out! cos it sticks. We don't cram, we actually understand.
Re: Please Review This Site by yawatide(f): 3:13pm On Oct 02, 2008
Round 2 - gbosa!!

@basking, I can't afford to get boxed in a corner when I know I am right. If I am wrong, different story. I admit immediately. In a country where there are few women in web dev in particular and IT in general, I have noticed the stereotypical looks and comments. Though I don't want to go as far as to assume that many on here are doing same, I can't help but wonder.

I have to stand up for my compatriots in Nigeria. As I have said, I notice the looks/comments when I am in Nigeria and I have sworn not to stop representing till the day I retire from this game.
Re: Please Review This Site by basking4me: 4:46pm On Oct 02, 2008
My round2, Gbagada

@Yawa,

Mama, dont always think blowing some big grams will deter me from hitting nail on target. What I sayin is that be proactive than reactive to issues. See the way our darlin Uspry responds to issues on ground, it aint only just because she's moderator.

There are a whole lot of people who get discouraged simply by being critical of them or their works. If you agree to KG methodologies, then you have to knock everyone your tackle on NL with kids gloves and 'no hard punches'.

Yawa, I am serious about this. I look mainly in the Webmaster and Technology section on NL, other sections are rarely and I enjoy the things I see, and I have noticed you and your style too during these period. I really cant do anythin about it but can you please soften alittle on those of us less priviledged.
Re: Please Review This Site by hanen(f): 4:52pm On Oct 02, 2008
@ post

Are you aware of such a thing as copyright infringement?! I mean, you can spin it any how you want. but what you've done is copy and paste. FYI, Facebook is currently suing 2 social sites in Europe that did what you did. It's like taking a bottle of Coke and changing only the name. If you are taking someone's trademark, you aren't going to be taken that seriously.  

Trademarks

32665, FACEBOOK, THE FACEBOOK, FACEBOOKHIGH, FBOOK, POKE, THE WALL and other Company graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, scripts and service names are registered trademarks, trademarks or trade dress of Company in the US. and/or other countries. Company's trademarks and trade dress may not be used, including as part of trademarks and/or as part of domain names, in connection with any product or service in any manner that is likely to cause confusion and may not be copied, imitated, or used, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the Company.

The above is part of Facebook's Terms of Service, that you are violating. Good luck with that.

Anyone seeing your site for the first time, will think, OMG, rip-off,  lame.

The people that created Facebook (and while we're at it, Hi5 and MySpace) are NOT super-heroes, they sat down and came up with ways to make their site unique/user-friendly/aesthetically appealing. They also STRIVE to make their respective products from the others. It irritates me to no end when you people get up in the morning, STEAL (because that's what this is, stealing) an original idea, change one or two things and expect to be given glory/credit for being unable to come up with an original thought.

What's so African about it? And like someone's mentioned before, if you're going to make it look like a carbon copy of Facebook, be prepared for a comparison. What's so special about it that will make me use your site? And i noticed you mentioned seperate messengers, HELLO, I can get that on MySpace AND Facebook,  if you havent noticed, you can pop out the chat on the Facebook,  And a forum? Really? I'm going to join ur site because of a forum? So please, beyond the fact that you appear to lack visual creativity, what else am I supposed to know about this Wathii of a site?
Re: Please Review This Site by yawatide(f): 5:04pm On Oct 02, 2008
@basking

Again, it is about making you a better person.  The truth isn't something you take with panadol.  It has to be taken/received as is.  Sorry.  Being proactive/reactive don't apply here at all. Perhaps you meant constructive/destructive criticisms? If so, I belong to the former.

I will see what I can do regarding, "softening things up" but if the truth slips out, as you said, there is nothing I can do.
Re: Please Review This Site by kehers(m): 5:14pm On Oct 02, 2008
hanen's post reminds me Studivz (Studivz.net) - the German social networking site that was sued by facebook in July 2008. This big companies can take small things as layout copying serious at times so be careful.
Re: Please Review This Site by yawatide(f): 6:15pm On Oct 02, 2008
to the playa-haters of yawa in the house:

make una follow kehers/gamine dem hear o!

tongue
Re: Please Review This Site by kokorunna(m): 11:53am On Oct 03, 2008
The site is too low to load up, except that its a good site.

I don't care if its looks like facebook or not, help him promote the site.

At least thats how facebook started.

www.moneysaversforum.com
Re: Please Review This Site by kehers(m): 8:55am On Oct 06, 2008
@kokorunna
How many people have ur spirit and doesnt care if it looks like facebook or not? 1 out of 10? 2 out of 100? Mind u, facebook didnt start dat way, not even with looks. It actually started as an intra sku network site (within Havard) and later moved to other neighbouring schools before it later went public.

@slaiyer
Sorry if we've been too sharp with our critics but hey its for ur own good. You probably wont even remember any of us wen u r making ur millions grin We dont mean u should tear dwn what you have up already. Just a redesign to change the facebk look. By the way, I ran into this Naija social network site omo9ja.com some days ago and that simple look and sharp expression of wat the site offers was tempting enough to make me wanna join - and thats what u need.
Once again, best of luck wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Drupal 7 Bible Free Download (Start Building And Managing Web Sites With Drupal) / @Yawa-ti-de:Please Help Me Check This PHP Mailer To See If The Script Is Correct / Best Ways To Attract Visitors To Your Website Without Spending A Dim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.