Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,916 members, 7,817,688 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (318) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (914491 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) ... (509) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:21pm On Jul 11, 2021
eagleeye2:
Uncle GAZZUZZ � and other elders in the house I greet you ohh.
Please between a new Radiator and a 'direct' Belgium (Tokunbo) radiator which should I go for.
Also my car keeps throwing up the P0171 code and I am thinking of changing the fuel filter (the engine one), because it often loses power and goes off when it stays long in the traffic and the oil light keeps blinking.
Thank you as I wait for your advice.

A brand new China radiator is always better than a used one.

P0171. What car?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by tonididdy(m): 5:49pm On Jul 11, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

P0171. What car?
Hi.
Is this model of Honda notorious for the popular honda leg-joint dislocation?

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:19pm On Jul 11, 2021
tonididdy:

Hi.

Intake air leak. Check all the pipes from the engine air filter to the throttle body. There is unmetered air getting into the intake
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dicksonadams(m): 7:44pm On Jul 11, 2021
tonididdy:

Hi.

Avoid V6, i4 better
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by tonididdy(m): 8:00pm On Jul 11, 2021
dicksonadams:

Avoid V6, i4 better
Thanks.
You mean I should avoid this.

By i4 do you mean accord evil spirit?

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ZhyonKross(m): 8:37pm On Jul 11, 2021
iykecollins1:
Those in Lagos and its environs....let me be the first u contact for ur genuine TOYOTA and LEXUS engines and gear boxes(transmission)

* WhatsApp and calls...08137915757

Do you sell transmission oil for camry 03, and what's the best transmission oil I should buy..and prize pls
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by DMechyy: 9:23pm On Jul 11, 2021
ZhyonKross:

Do you sell transmission oil for camry 03, and what's the best transmission oil I should buy..and prize pls

Recommended Fluid : Toyota Genuine Type TIV

In stock : 15,500

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by arcbaba: 9:59pm On Jul 11, 2021
Sorry for jumping on this thread sir!, I have always had this P0031 on my Toyota Corolla 2005 and I tot the code was related to lack of catalyst in the car.
That's y I have never bothered to replace that sensor.
So if I replace the bank 1 sensor that particular codes will disappear
GAZZUZZ:

Alright let's get to it .

First code P0031 TOYOTA Oxygen Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1

Your O2 sensor bank1 sensor 1 us bad. You will need to replace the one at the top. It will contribute to higher than expected fuel economy .

Inability to start on first crank , check fuel pump assy for inability to hold fuel pressure .

Watch video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIm1j5LZYOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya_GngCX1Ds

Rpm values seem almost normal , 900 is rather high, a history of manual adjustments to throttle body or throttle pedal could cause abnormal readings like this , also air intake leaks could cause same.

Finally the big one.

P0500, I was really hoping it was an abs related code but it is not.

What you have is a slipping transmission. Start be draining your transmission oil and outing fresh oil (Toyota TIV) and hope for the best.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:05pm On Jul 11, 2021
arcbaba:
Sorry for jumping on this thread sir!, I have always had this P0031 on my Toyota Corolla 2005 and I tot the code was related to lack of catalyst in the car.
That's y I have never bothered to replace that sensor.
So if I replace the bank 1 sensor that particular codes will disappear

Yes you will stop having the p0031 code, you will also get much better fuel economy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by PrinceFola(m): 10:36pm On Jul 11, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Yes you will stop having ghte p0031 code, you will also get much better fuel economy
Good evening sir, I recently noticed that my Corrola 05 is high(sorry if I don't get it correctly) while idle... The Rpm is between 1000-2000 in idle sir.... Please is this normal or i need to do something about it?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eagleeye2: 7:07am On Jul 12, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

P0171. What car?
Good morning.
Toyota Avalon 2001
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by PrinceFola(m): 9:45am On Jul 12, 2021
PrinceFola:
Good evening sir, I recently noticed that my Corrola 05 is high(sorry if I don't get it correctly) while idle... The Rpm is between 1000-2000 in idle sir.... Please is this normal or i need to do something about it?
please is this normal??

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:36pm On Jul 12, 2021
PrinceFola:
please is this normal??

pic of your temp gauge?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by PrinceFola(m): 1:34pm On Jul 12, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

pic of your temp gauge?

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:57pm On Jul 12, 2021
PrinceFola:
temp

engine been running more than 15mins?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by PrinceFola(m): 3:06pm On Jul 12, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

engine been running more than 15mins?
Yes
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Inception(m): 6:26pm On Jul 12, 2021
PrinceFola:
Yes

Thermostat has been removed.

Very likely fan has been connected directly.

Replace thermostat, revert cooling fan connection to factory spec, else you will cry when subsidy is removed.

Be sure you car does not have overheating history.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Inception(m): 6:31pm On Jul 12, 2021
autologic:

The so- called B.eng shows the decay level and rots in our educational system and we can't use this semi illiterate guys as yard stick ,cos they are engineers on paper, no innovative ideas that solve practical problems.
Modern cars have gone so much sophisticated technologic wise that it takes science oriented geeks to handle them .
I had had opportunity to attend a lot of automotive seminars and workshop abroad and I sees alot of professors and PhD holders running a auto workshop and coming out with lot of high level testing methods and contributing innovative ideas into the industry just because their society value system strive on science knowledge that solve practical problems unlike own which is why you see the artisans handling what the science guys are suppose to take charge .
Seriously the artisans "kazeem" have no business handling sensitive parts cos their mind can't just comprehend those high tech stuff ,and you the car owner will be putting yourself at risk as well.

My friend.

Do not generalize.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by PrinceFola(m): 6:41pm On Jul 12, 2021
Inception:

Replace thermostat, revert cooling fan connection to factory spec, else you will cry when subsidy is removed.

Okay sir, The Fan has been connected directly like you said(once i start the car or put the ignition key on, the fan will start working)..... Please, is thermostat the same as "catalytic converter"? And how much is that Thermostat?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by obidevine(m): 7:01pm On Jul 12, 2021
PrinceFola:
Okay sir, The Fan has been connected directly like you said(once i start the car or put the ignition key on, the fan will start working)..... Please, is thermostat the same as "catalytic converter"? And how much is that Thermostat?

Prince Fola what he meant is that you should connect the fans back to the way it was done at the factory. The fans are not meant to come on once you start your engine.

And NO thermostat isn't the same thing as catalytic converter.

3 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by PrinceFola(m): 7:27pm On Jul 12, 2021
obidevine:

Prince Fola what he meant is that you should connect the fans back to the way it was done at the factory. The fans are not meant to come on once you start your engine.

And NO thermostat isn't the same thing as catalytic converter.
Noted with thanks Brother Mii....
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by DMechyy: 8:32pm On Jul 12, 2021
Inception:

If it's not broken, dont fix it.

History of vehicle will determine if he should revert. Or else, his mechanic go just dey use am as example of people who take advice online and get burnt

3 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Grupo(m): 10:32pm On Jul 12, 2021
PrinceFola:

Was the cat overheating before you connected the fan directly?

If you don't know the history of your car, you may end up making it unmovable if you revert the fans and cooling system to factory level.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by PrinceFola(m): 6:53am On Jul 13, 2021
Grupo:

Was the cat overheating before you connected the fan directly?

If you don't know the history of your car, you may end up making it unmovable if you revert the fans and cooling system to factory level. R
Yes sir, overheated twice that's why my mechanic said we should connected the fan directly....
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by PrinceFola(m): 6:53am On Jul 13, 2021
DMechyy:

If it's not broken, dont fix it.

History of vehicle will determine if he should revert. Or else, his mechanic go just dey use am as example of people who take advice online and get burnt
Thank you
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Grupo(m): 7:14am On Jul 13, 2021
PrinceFola:
Yes sir, overheated twice that's why my mechanic said we should connected the fan directly....

Hmm. Just be driving it like that and manage the high rpm and probably high fuel consumption.

But if you want to fix it, you have to go back to the basics or roots and find out why it was overheating. Fix that first and revert the cooling system, fan, etc. to factory setting.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by emeystan(m): 10:01am On Jul 13, 2021
Hello Gazuzz,
I have a Toyota Corolla 2006, I noticed vibrating when I put it in drive, but if I start moving it doesn't vibrates, and when in idle it doesn't vibrates only vibrates when it's not moving but in drive mode

Please what can be wrong
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:32am On Jul 13, 2021
emeystan:
Hello Gazuzz,
I have a Toyota Corolla 2006, I noticed vibrating when I put it in drive, but if I start moving it doesn't vibrates, and when in idle it doesn't vibrates only vibrates when it's not moving but in drive mode

Please what can be wrong

Two possible issues.

Engine mounts (especially the right side near the belt. ) And low RPM. (Clean throttle body)
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by abefeabebi(m): 12:13pm On Jul 13, 2021
Pls how much is hub for Corolla 03,and is it advisable to put grees in d Boris.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by emeystan(m): 2:57pm On Jul 13, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Two possible issues.

Engine mounts (especially the right side near the belt. ) And low RPM. (Clean throttle body)

Thanks Gazzuz
I suspect the part u said engine mount at the fan belt, that is where it is felt most, but the bushing is not worn...
How much is it going to cost me to replace
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nbolaji(m): 3:41pm On Jul 13, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Alright let's get to it .

First code P0031 TOYOTA Oxygen Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1

Your O2 sensor bank1 sensor 1 us bad. You will need to replace the one at the top. It will contribute to higher than expected fuel economy .

Inability to start on first crank , check fuel pump assy for inability to hold fuel pressure .

Watch video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIm1j5LZYOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya_GngCX1Ds

Rpm values seem almost normal , 900 is rather high, a history of manual adjustments to throttle body or throttle pedal could cause abnormal readings like this , also air intake leaks could cause same.

Finally the big one.

P0500, I was really hoping it was an abs related code but it is not.

What you have is a slipping transmission. Start be draining your transmission oil and outing fresh oil (Toyota TIV) and hope for the best.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.
If it happens the fuel pump doesn't hold pressure i guess the fuel needs replacement. Thank you for the video.

As regard the transmission Any idea on the cost of (Toyota TIV) and can you help get the original fluid?

Thanks for the headsup
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Olaridwon: 11:49pm On Jul 13, 2021
I am a driver I need a car to drive on weekly remittance. Pls help your brother.

(1) (2) (3) ... (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) ... (509) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.