Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,517 members, 7,823,218 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (917118 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (510) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by aeu1: 1:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
U always discover some volume of water after it rains inside my 99 Corolla boot at the left flank bottom. I am surprised how water can be getting in there, pls what could be the cause

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:27pm On Jul 05, 2014
aeu1: U always discover some volume of water after it rains inside my 99 Corolla boot at the left flank bottom. I am surprised how water can be getting in there, pls what could be the cause

I have 3 solutions for u.

1. Check all boot seals (rubber that runs round) ensure its fittet well along the frame.
2.Get in the boot with a flash light and have some one hose the car down with water with ur flash light look for leaks

3.Check taillight seals or the trunk weatherstrip. Water might be flowing down the sheet metal.
Also check the seal on your antenna

The water doesn't have to drip into the boot and soak through. It can often run along the metal and run underneath the soundproofing and the carpet

Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TCD: 6:59pm On Jul 05, 2014
Hi. Pls what's the manufacturer recommended Engine oil for 2002 Toyota Solara with 2AZ-FE engine and transmission fluid for the same car. Also does this car use timing belt or timing chain? Thank you
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:47pm On Jul 05, 2014
TCD: Hi. Pls what's the manufacturer recommended Engine oil for 2002 Toyota Solara with 2AZ-FE engine and transmission fluid for the same car. Also does this car use timing belt or timing chain? Thank you

Engine oil: SAE 5W-30 or I prefer fully synthethic oils.
Engine oil capacity: 3.8liter with oil filter replaced
3.6liters without replacing oil filter.

Automatic transmission fluid: use toyota genuine ATF WS
Fluid capacity 7.8 liters

Uses a timing chain.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by aeu1: 2:02am On Jul 06, 2014
Thanks sir, I will check. Pls what could be responsible for clicking sounding like a bunch of key by the front right suspension although a mechanic earlier told me that shock absorber is weak, but I did a paint work on that front right fender of the car before this sound comes on whenever the tire rolls on uneven road surface.
Also, what can be responsible for the left side stabilizer linkage cutting or not being effective, fake part or structural defect of the chasis?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:57am On Jul 06, 2014
aeu1: Thanks sir, I will check. Pls what could be responsible for clicking sounding like a bunch of key by the front right suspension although a mechanic earlier told me that shock absorber is weak, but I did a paint work on that front right fender of the car before this sound comes on whenever the tire rolls on uneven road surface.
Also, what can be responsible for the left side stabilizer linkage cutting or not being effective, fake part or structural defect of the chasis?

Dissasemble your front suspension and check for problems.

Check ball joint assemblies, shock eye bushings, sway bar brackets,and strut bearings.

Also check that you have the correct oem length and diameter of sway bar link (tabilizerlinkage) probably why they are getting broken.

P.S before you do all these check the clips on your brake pads, most times when changing brake pads mechanics fail to return them. This could cause the rattling sound.

To test place "left foot" sightly on brake when driving over rough surface if noise is not there then that's your culprit.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TCD: 9:49am On Jul 06, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Engine oil: SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20 I prefer fully synthethic oils.
Engine oil capacity: 3.8liter with oil filter replaced
3.6liters without replacing oil filter.

Automatic transmission fluid: use toyota genuine ATF WS
Fluid capacity 7.8 liters

Uses a timing chain.
. Thanks for this. Pls how often is one to change engine oil, power steering fluid , ATF and the timing chain?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:01pm On Jul 06, 2014
TCD: . Thanks for this. Pls how often is one to change engine oil, power steering fluid , ATF and the timing chain?

Engine oil. Between 3000 and 5000 miles
That's 5100km or 8500km better safe than sorry.

ATF 30,000miles 50,000km

Power steering: have no idea but just change it when ur doing atf.

Timing chain: 100,000miles 170,000km
Most people do over 200,000miles b4 changing but as I said better safe.........

4 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TCD: 6:18pm On Jul 06, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Engine oil. Between 3000 and 5000 miles
That's 5100km or 8500km better safe than sorry.

ATF 30,000miles 50,000km

Power steering: have no idea but just change it when ur doing atf.

Timing chain: 100,000miles 170,000km
Most people do over 200,000miles b4 changing but as I said better safe.........
thanks. Pls how much does the timing chain cost for the engine I mentioned above. Any ideas?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
TCD: thanks. Pls how much does the timing chain cost for the engine I mentioned above. Any ideas?

No idea. Try toyota outlets if you are in lagos.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TCD: 8:21pm On Jul 06, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

No idea. Try toyota outlets if you are in lagos.
thanks alot
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by aeu1: 11:10am On Jul 07, 2014
A fairly used 99 corolla I acquired has both condenser & radiator fan spinning continously. Is it difficult to have back factory wiring. Is it something that if i see a wiring diagram or video, I can do, or I must contact a rewire for this job
Also, can you be of help in providing me wiring diagram and owners and repair manuals
Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:22am On Jul 07, 2014
aeu1: A fairly used 99 corolla I acquired has both condenser & radiator fan spinning continously. Is it difficult to have back factory wiring. Is it something that if i see a wiring diagram or video, I can do, or I must contact a rewire for this job
Also, can you be of help in providing me wiring diagram and owners and repair manuals
Thanks

Are you good at diy? If yes start by looking for disconnected sockets around radiator area, looked for taped cut or taped wires, its a very easy job if the mumu that disconnected them didn't butcher the harness too much.

Factory wiring diagrams are in pdf send email. When sending don't use @ use (at) to avoid spam.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by 9icetoo(m): 1:20pm On Jul 07, 2014
TCD: thanks. Pls how much does the timing chain cost for the engine I mentioned above. Any ideas?
Your timing chain costs about N10,000. You might get it cheaper if you are in Lagos. Whats the mileage of your car? Do not go for the cheap timing chains! Most timing chains can last well over 200,000 miles depending on oil change history. I changed mine at 170,000 miles.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by aeu1: 2:15pm On Jul 07, 2014
I will need diagrams to cater for:
1. Wiring radiator & condenser fans
2. Installation of thermostat
3. Knock sensor bank 1
akanxpress [at] yahoo.co.uk
GAZZUZZ:

Are you good at diy? If yes start by looking for disconnected sockets around radiator area, looked for taped cut or taped wires, its a very easy job if the mumu that disconnected them didn't butcher the harness too much.

Factory wiring diagrams are in pdf send email. When sending don't use @ use (at) to avoid spam.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TCD: 6:21pm On Jul 07, 2014
9icetoo:
Your timing chain costs about N10,000. You might get it cheaper if you are in Lagos. Whats the mileage of your car? Do not go for the cheap timing chains! Most timing chains can last well over 200,000 miles depending on oil change history. I changed mine at 170,000 miles.
thanks for your response. Car is about 180K miles. How does one identify original timing chain, any visual cues or its just the price?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by niyoni: 7:19am On Jul 11, 2014
Great thread Gazzuzz! Pls can i top up d coolant in my toyota highlander with Totals green colored coolant even tho d coolant in my radiator is pink in color? I culdnt get d recommended toyota super long life coolant to buy, tho Totals coolant has the same properties n composition as toyotas. Thanks in advance for your response.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:26am On Jul 11, 2014
niyoni: Great thread Gazzuzz! Pls can i top up d coolant in my toyota highlander with Totals green colored coolant even tho d coolant in my radiator is pink in color? I culdnt get d recommended toyota super long life coolant to buy, tho Totals coolant has the same properties n composition as toyotas. Thanks in advance for your response.

Not wise to mix them up, if its not that low add water, if not drain it, and fill with just the one you were able to get.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:30am On Jul 11, 2014
aeu1: I will need diagrams to cater for:
1. Wiring radiator & condenser fans
2. Installation of thermostat
3. Knock sensor bank 1
akanxpress [at] yahoo.co.uk

You have mail.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Amono: 11:08am On Jul 11, 2014
Gazzuzz you are doing a great job, keep it up.

I'm having excessive vibrations when I step on the brakes of my rav4 please what could be the problem.

Amono.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:18am On Jul 11, 2014
Amono: Gazzuzz you are doing a great job, keep it up.

I'm having excessive vibrations when I step on the brakes of my rav4 please what could be the problem.

Amono.

A worn out brake rotor (brake disk) is responsible, its caused by an un-even surface. Have them replaced and problem will be solved.

Also try and get original brake pads, the fake ones in the market wear out the rotors quicker than normal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by niyoni: 11:29am On Jul 11, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Not wise to mix them up, if its not that low add water, if not drain it, and fill with just the one you were able to get.
Thanks a lot!
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by chukel(m): 10:13am On Jul 13, 2014
Wow. I must confess u r great and ur work here is splendid. Well done. May God bless u real good for d assistance u r rendering to people. Well done

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:25am On Jul 13, 2014
chukel: Wow. I must confess u r great and ur work here is splendid. Well done. May God bless u real good for d assistance u r rendering to people. Well done

Thank you.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by tolaolu: 9:11pm On Jul 13, 2014
for a P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (bank 1)
whats the best solution.
do i change the catalyst or have it worked on!
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:30pm On Jul 13, 2014
tolaolu: for a P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (bank 1)
whats the best solution.
do i change the catalyst or have it worked on!

Catalytic converters can "not" be worked on only replaced. Check for leaks on the exhaust system fix if any erase the codes and re scan after using the car for a few days, if it comes back then its bad.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TCD: 8:46pm On Jul 14, 2014
Pls what grade of engine oil is Total Coartz 5000. I mean in the sense of 5W-?? . Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:24pm On Jul 14, 2014
Gasoline engine

Quartz 9000 5W40
Quartz 7000 SN 10W40
Quartz 5000 SN 20W50
Quartz 3000 SJ 20W50
Quartz 2500 SF SAE 40

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TCD: 8:57am On Jul 16, 2014
GAZZUZZ: Gasoline engine

Quartz 9000 5W40
Quartz 7000 SN 10W40
Quartz 5000 SN 20W50
Quartz 3000 SJ 20W50
Quartz 2500 SF SAE 40
thanks. What does SN above mean please, synthetic?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:08am On Jul 16, 2014
TCD: thanks. What does SN above mean please, synthetic?

I have no idea, if its synthetic it will be written clearly on the container.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by spiderone(m): 4:43pm On Jul 16, 2014
Hello, Pls i drive a 98 Camry. Got it just last month and the only cause for concern is that, at start-up i have to turn the key in the ignition at least twice before the engine starts. I am not comfortable with this at all and i want to be sure of the problem before taking the car to the mechanics'
Pls what are the likely cause(s) of this?
Thanks!
Note: Engine and Battery are in good condition
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by 9icetoo(m): 7:52pm On Jul 16, 2014
TCD: thanks. What does SN above mean please, synthetic?
SN does not mean synthetic. The N after the letter S denotes the grade or quality of the engine oil. M means it is a lower grade and J an even lower grade. Synthetic oils are always labelled clearly as synthetic. If you have ever checked the price of oil in an oando filling station, u will realize that SN oil is more expensive than the SM oil. I think the quality is an indication of the amount of additives and detergents.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (510) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.