Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,153 members, 7,842,318 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (74) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (924202 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (511) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by themonk(m): 1:19pm On Sep 24, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

as long as you top oil regularly and change oil filters at reasonable intervals, the only
damge will be to your pocket and the environment.
Thanks bro. You are the best.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by AXYZ: 2:46pm On Sep 24, 2018
CarMecx:
Probably your engine power has been 'raised' as it is commonly said to compensate for the load of the air-conditioned that is why when the transmission is engaged the rpm drops and then when the A.C. is turned on it would drop slightly still to optimum idle speed

What could be the solution sir?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nemadfsyahooc: 10:57pm On Sep 24, 2018
Pls house. Is it possible and advisable to replace the transmission of a Honda crv 2005 auto 4plugs 4wd with the transmission of a front wheel drive same car Honda crv 05.thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by 1stNumeroUno: 8:09am On Sep 25, 2018
Good morning Oga Gazzuss,

My darling 08 Corolla (Bank type) started showing signs of burning oil recently. Kindly advise as it's performance is now dropping. Also, I need to fix this to avoid complications.

Car stat:
Odometer - 157,000+
Present oil type - Mobil 20-50W
Transmission - Manual

Thanks!
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:15am On Sep 25, 2018
1stNumeroUno:

My darling 08 Corolla (Bank type) started showing signs of burning oil recently. Kindly advise as it's performance is still relatively ok.

Odometer - 157,000+
Transmission - Manual

Thanks!

John 19:30....

https://www.nairaland.com/4085735/toyota-2zr-fe-engine-corrola-2007

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:17am On Sep 25, 2018
nemadfsyahooc:
Pls house. Is it possible and advisable to replace the transmission of a Honda crv 2005 auto 4plugs 4wd with the transmission of a front wheel drive same car Honda crv 05.thanks

If you will do it properly why not, enjoy ya sef
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by CarMecx(m): 9:04am On Sep 25, 2018
themonk:
Oga GAZZUZZ and other esteemed learned ones in the house, Good day to you all.

Please my small suzuki bus(7 passengers) always drains oil when there is no sign of leakage. I have to constantly top the oil to get it back to the normal level.

How can I fix or manage this.
Thanks as I anticipate your reponses.
you need check well that there is no leak cause there is many ways oil can get leaking from the engine and if there is still no evidence of leak you may be burning oil from worn engine which may be due to worn piston rings or best thing do a compression test
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by CarMecx(m): 9:12am On Sep 25, 2018
AXYZ:

What could be the solution sir?
The throttle bodies on your particular Corolla are susceptible to carbon build up. It can make the throttle plate stick. There are also reports that the throttle plate can warp causing high idle issues. Usually these problems make the idle stay high under all conditions.
Other conditions that can cause high idle are vacuum leaks that allow more air into the motor. These can be intermittent problems, but not usually. Some areas to look are around the points that the intake manifold bolts to the head, EGR valve and EGR valve ports, broken vacuum hoses, and a failed brake vacuum booster.

Other than a high idle that doesn’t drop to normal, the only problems that should be addressed sooner than later are vacuum leaks. Vacuum leaks can lead to other internal motor damages that will be much more expensive to fix. If the problem persists, you may want to have your high engine idle speed inspected by a professional technician to determine if any repairs are needed.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:15am On Sep 25, 2018
CarMecx:
you need check well that there is no leak cause there is many ways oil can get leaking from the engine

. Oga Carmecx and other esteemed learned ones in the house, Good day to you all.

Please my small suzuki bus(7 passengers) always drains oil when there is no sign of leakage . I have to constantly top the oil to get it back to the normal level.

How can I fix or manage this.
Thanks as I anticipate your reponses
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:23am On Sep 25, 2018
CarMecx:
The throttle bodies on your particular Corolla are susceptible to carbon build up. It can make the throttle plate stick. There are also reports that the throttle plate can warp causing high idle issues. Usually these problems make the idle stay high under all conditions.
Other conditions that can cause high idle are vacuum leaks that allow more air into the motor. These can be intermittent problems, but not usually. Some areas to look are around the points that the intake manifold bolts to the head, EGR valve and EGR valve ports, broken vacuum hoses, and a failed brake vacuum booster.

Other than a high idle that doesn’t drop to normal, the only problems that should be addressed sooner than later are vacuum leaks. Vacuum leaks can lead to other internal motor damages that will be much more expensive to fix. If the problem persists, you may want to have your high engine idle speed inspected by a professional technician to determine if any repairs are needed.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/question/my-engine-idle-is-high-when-i-start-my-car-by-genesis-d
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by CarMecx(m): 9:27am On Sep 25, 2018
1stNumeroUno:

My darling 08 Corolla (Bank type) started showing signs of burning oil recently. Kindly advise as it's performance is now dropping. Also, I need to fix this to avoid complications.

Car stat:
Odometer - 157,000+
Transmission - Manual

Thanks!
When you have an oil leak, and the leaking oil hits exhaust or other hot components, you will typically smell the oil burning before seeing smoke.

You may also see blueish smoke coming from the exhaust while the motor is running. If you notice this when you are accelerating, it is likely that your piston rings are damaged. If the smoke comes out while you decelerate, the problem is commonly caused by valve guides in the cylinder heads that are damaged. Burning oil can lead to serious issues, including engine failure. If you notice a problem with your vehicle, get it checked out right away before the problem gets worse.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by emmaak2(m): 9:56am On Sep 25, 2018
My engine on cold start will run normal but when I engage the gear is starts a slight vibration but will run normal after some minutes

Also is my RPM normal when Ac is bin ON

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by thebigkendo(m): 10:13am On Sep 25, 2018
AXYZ:
My Ogas in the house, good day sir.

Kindly help to escalate possible solution to my 2007 Camry issue. My rpm on starting the engine stays at 1500 and goes to between 1000 and 1200 as soon as I engage the gear. I think something is wrong with it. Thanks in advance.

I don't think anything is wrong with our car..
Where does the engine RPM stay when the engine is hot & car has bn driven for some time? Let's say 1 hour?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:20am On Sep 25, 2018
emmaak2:
My engine on cold start will run normal but when I engage the gear is starts a slight vibration but will run normal after some minutes

Also is my RPM normal when Ac is bin ON

For ancestors like this, clean out the throttle body.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by thebigkendo(m): 10:29am On Sep 25, 2018
CarMecx:
The throttle bodies on your particular Corolla Accord are susceptible to carbon build up. It can make the throttle plate stick. There are also reports that the throttle plate can warp causing high idle issues. Usually these problems make the idle stay high under all conditions.

Fixed grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:34am On Sep 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

I don't think anything is wrong with our car..
Where does the engine RPM stay when the engine is hot & car has bn driven for some time? Let's say 1 hour?

possible scenario.

Thermostat removed, and fans direct.

Temp Below. 60deg celcius.

Engine ecu trys to compensate for cold engine by raising rpm.

But what do I know? lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by thebigkendo(m): 12:04pm On Sep 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

possible scenario.

Thermostat removed, and fans direct.

Temp Below. 60deg celcius.

Engine ecu trys to compensate for cold engine by raising rpm.

But what do I know? lipsrsealed

Yeah that's Possible, reason why i asked

Where does the engine RPM stay when the engine is hot & car has been driven for some time? Let's say 1 hour?

But even with Fan direct and thermostat deleted, engine temperature will still get to around 80 - 88 deg Cel, will just take longer and ECU will throw a P0128
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:13pm On Sep 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

Yeah that's Possible, reason why i asked

But even with Fan direct and thermostat deleted, engine temperature will still get to around 80 - 88 deg Cel, will just take longer and ECU will throw a P0128

I have seen an accord sit in 62deg celcius under hot sun inside traffic for hours cheesy
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by thebigkendo(m): 1:15pm On Sep 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

I have seen an accord sit in 62deg celcius under hot sun inside traffic for hours cheesy

Hahahaha Village people .. Maybe double cell radiator, wrong fan installed.

Talking about Accord cooling system, You get any ECT2 sensor weh you no dey use?

Last weekend i noticed my cooling fan ran continuously throughout my over 2 hours commute . Coolant temp was 86 - 88deg Cel with a P0128 code...
-When i get home, i checked all related relays.
-Noticed fan comes on at 86deg celsius and doesn't go off until i put off the engine
-Fan also runs when key is at ON position
-Though maybe my ECT sensor was stuck at 88 deg, so i disconnected fans and idled, ECT temp got to 96Deg before i connected the fan back.
-Disconnected ECT2, voila!!! everything back to normal, Fan starts at 95deg and go off as usual , So now i am driving around with P2185 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor 2 Circuit high
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by emmaak2(m): 1:35pm On Sep 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

For ancestors like this, clean out the throttle body.

Oga this ancestor thing d shuttle Lagos n PH o

But my oil d short eh

Changing oil every month rather than toppin
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:29pm On Sep 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

Hahahaha Village people .. Maybe double cell radiator, wrong fan installed.

Talking about Accord cooling system, You get any ECT2 sensor weh you no dey use?

Last weekend i noticed my cooling fan ran continuously throughout my over 2 hours commute . Coolant temp was 86 - 88deg Cel with a P0128 code...
-When i get home, i checked all related relays.
-Noticed fan comes on at 86deg celsius and doesn't go off until i put off the engine
-Fan also runs when key is at ON position
-Though maybe my ECT sensor was stuck at 88 deg, so i disconnected fans and idled, ECT temp got to 96Deg before i connected the fan back.
-Disconnected ECT2, voila!!! everything back to normal, Fan starts at 95deg and go off as usual , So now i am driving around with P2185 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor 2 Circuit high

No let Onyibo confuse you with part number, ECT 2 and one are same sensors and e plenty for shop. (Thanks to old engines)
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by thebigkendo(m): 3:34pm On Sep 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

No let Onyibo confuse you with part number, ECT 2 and one are same sensors and e plenty for shop. (Thanks to old engines)

grin grin grin I know they are the same.. When i get time i go show for shop, i go call before i come sha.. So u go restock the origin for fridge wink
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:36pm On Sep 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

grin grin grin I know they are the same.. When i get time i go show for shop, i go call before i come sha.. So u go restock the origin for fridge wink

2 Corinthians 5:17 cry

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:38pm On Sep 25, 2018
emmaak2:

Oga this ancestor thing d shuttle Lagos n PH o

But my oil d short eh

Changing oil every month rather than toppin

nah 2018 camry you wan de put for those bad roads? grin
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by thebigkendo(m): 3:47pm On Sep 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

2 Corinthians 5:17 cry

1 Timothy 5:23

Ecclesiastes 9:7
sad sad
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:28pm On Sep 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

1 Timothy 5:23

Ecclesiastes 9:7
sad sad

no ploblem

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by thebigkendo(m): 5:05pm On Sep 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

no ploblem

grin grin grin grin grin That is soft drink

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by themonk(m): 6:16pm On Sep 25, 2018
CarMecx:
you need check well that there is no leak cause there is many ways oil can get leaking from the engine and if there is still no evidence of leak you may be burning oil from worn engine which may be due to worn piston rings or best thing do a compression test
Thanks alot bro. I'll do all you have said. I'm servicing the car tommorrow so I'll tell the mechanic to help me check well.

How do I know if the piston rings is the problem?
And is it advisable to change the engine totally or replacell the piston rings if that's the issue.
Also please what's a compression test?

BTW when I bought the car, the engine looked very new water was coming out of the exhaust pipe sef cool and it's not been up to 2 months. So sad embarassed
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:28pm On Sep 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

Fixed grin grin grin grin grin

The guy de arrange daunting issues.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by thebigkendo(m): 6:32pm On Sep 25, 2018
themonk:

Thanks alot bro. I'll do all you have said. I'm servicing the car tommorrow so I'll tell the mechanic to help me check well.

How do I know if the piston rings is the problem?
And is it advisable to change the engine totally or replacell the piston rings if that's the issue.
Also please what's a compression test?

BTW when I bought the car, the engine looked very new water was coming out of the exhaust pipe sef cool and it's not been up to 2 months. So sad embarassed

Typical Nigerian.. No wonder some dealer dey put water in the tail pipe grin grin

Water coming out of exhaust is not a representation of a great engine

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by thebigkendo(m): 6:33pm On Sep 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

The guy de arrange daunting issues.

I miss baba Honmusa, hope he is doing good cheesy
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by themonk(m): 6:33pm On Sep 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

Typical Nigerian.. No wonder some dealer dey put water in the tail pipe grin grin

Water coming out of exhaust is not a representation of a great engine
grin grin grin
No vex I be JJC for this one but I don dey learn grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (511) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.